PDA

View Full Version : Steelers should take a flyer on Aaron Curry

Dee Dub
10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I keep reading how the trade talks for him are heating up. Seattle wants to trade him. Yes he has been a disappointment but I think he is playing out of position. He could use a change of scenerary and with his tallent and sppen he could turn out to be a force still yet. I have been reading that it may only take a 6th ot 7th round pick to get him too.

I think he could excel inside in a 3-4. Put him next to Timmons and thats two of the fastest inside backers in the game. What do you have to lose? If it's a 6th round pick, not much. But the reward could be huge.

Shoe
10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
That sounds interesting. I don't know if a 4-3 OLB is that much different than a 3-4 ILB... but then again, maybe he is the take-on blocker type a la David Little/Levon Kirkland. I'd definitely be interested in taking a flyer on him!

Steel Life
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I think he re-structured his contract this summer & is guaranteed about 5 million this year...that's out of our team's reach. That said...I'd like the move.

Pahn711
10-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Ugh, another Aaron Curry thread. Listen, his contract alone is gonna prevent another team (mainly the Steelers) from trading for him unless the Seahawks cut him. He had $34 million guaranteed, the most ever for a non-quarterback rookie. Even restructured it would be a big hit to the Steelers cap. Curry would be a fool to renegotiate his contract if someone is dumb enough to trade for him. If he gets cut, so be it, he knows being a first round pick he'll get another chance to play with someone else. He has no incentive to renegotiate.

Now, I can't read minds (maybe to play for a good team he would override his agent) and I'm sure theres a way it could be done. But looking at it from a business perspective, it looks very very unlikely.

SS Laser
10-04-2011, 12:07 AM
What position did Farrior play before 3-4 inside LB? Same deal with Curry right? Could we really hit lightning in the bottle twice. Not something I see the steelers doing during the season but after yes. It is to bad though sounds like a very good idea IF it worked out as well as Farrior.

What about his play has the seagulls wanting to move him for such a low pick?

I also can see the Jets taking a chance on him. They seem to try and make bold moves right or wrong.

ikestops85
10-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Ugh, another Aaron Curry thread. Listen, his contract alone is gonna prevent another team (mainly the Steelers) from trading for him unless the Seahawks cut him. He had $34 million guaranteed, the most ever for a non-quarterback rookie. Even restructured it would be a big hit to the Steelers cap. Curry would be a fool to renegotiate his contract if someone is dumb enough to trade for him. If he gets cut, so be it, he knows being a first round pick he'll get another chance to play with someone else. He has no incentive to renegotiate.

Now, I can't read minds (maybe to play for a good team he would override his agent) and I'm sure theres a way it could be done. But looking at it from a business perspective, it looks very very unlikely.

Curry is in the last year of his contract. He had some sort of opt out clause which was enacted by the club. That's why the Hawks want to trade him now ... because they are releasing him at the end of the year unless things turn around for him.

williar
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I think it would be smart.. Our FO loves to do things the steeler way, which means seldom going outside of the organizational structure to acquire talent. I don't think their is anybody you could draft in the 4th or 5th round (assuming the hawks would take it) that would be more talented or have more potential than Curry.

The Redskins acquired Adam Carricker last season from the rams for a 6th round pick. Now we all knew that Aaron Smith was on his last legs and our DL was old and wearing down fast. You mean to tell me that our FO couldn't be tempted to acquire a former 1st rd pick DE for a 6 round pick? Who did we draft in the 6th round? Another draft casualty.

Now I know Carricker isn't a superstar however he is now the starting DE for a much improved skins defense. He's a lot like Smith too. Big, strong, not flashy but plays his role and is solid.... Now if we had made that move we wouldn't have had to draft Heyward.

Prowler
10-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I find it amusing that Aaron Curry was pimped before coming to the NFL by draft gurus such as Mike Mayock. I remember that talking head say there are no holes in Curry's game and that he was the safest pick in the draft. Kind of funny now, in my opinion don't you think?

If I were running an NFL team, I would not draft a player so high coming from a crappy college program such as Wake Forest. I would only select players this high coming from the traditional powerhouse schools.

Nevertheless, I would take a chance on Curry if it did not cost us much and if we could sign him for cheap.

unionsteeler
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
The Defense is raked second in the league. Lets trade for Cam Newton . He would instantly improve the offense.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I think it would be smart.. Our FO loves to do things the steeler way, which means seldom going outside of the organizational structure to acquire talent. I don't think their is anybody you could draft in the 4th or 5th round (assuming the hawks would take it) that would be more talented or have more potential than Curry.

The Redskins acquired Adam Carricker last season from the rams for a 6th round pick. Now we all knew that Aaron Smith was on his last legs and our DL was old and wearing down fast. You mean to tell me that our FO couldn't be tempted to acquire a former 1st rd pick DE for a 6 round pick? Who did we draft in the 6th round? Another draft casualty.

Now I know Carricker isn't a superstar however he is now the starting DE for a much improved skins defense. He's a lot like Smith too. Big, strong, not flashy but plays his role and is solid.... Now if we had made that move we wouldn't have had to draft Heyward.

The Carriker trade was prior to the 2010 draft. That year, we got Antonio Brown in the 6th round. I'm quite happy with that pick.

williar
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM

The Carriker trade was prior to the 2010 draft. That year, we got Antonio Brown in the 6th round. I'm quite happy with that pick.

What good has Antonio Brown been in this underperforming offense? I mean, what are we averaging, about 10 points per game..... A receiver is only as good as th QB throwing him the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 01:12 PM

What good has Antonio Brown been in this underperforming offense? I mean, what are we averaging, about 10 points per game..... A receiver is only as good as th QB throwing him the ball.

You convinced me. Trade Antonio Brown and Ben Roethlisberger to Washington for Adam Carriker and Rex Grossman.

jj28west
10-06-2011, 06:30 PM

You convinced me. Trade Antonio Brown and Ben Roethlisberger to Washington for Adam Carriker and Rex Grossman.

This Brown kid actually came out as a Junior. He is still making mental errors but in time will be synching up with Ben. Add the return game threat and we got pretty good value. Maybe a Desean Jackson type?

But if Washington dangles Carriker & Grossman for a unproven winner in Ben & camp fodder in Brown then its really a no brainer.

Dee Dub
10-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I find it amusing that Aaron Curry was pimped before coming to the NFL by draft gurus such as Mike Mayock. I remember that talking head say there are no holes in Curry's game and that he was the safest pick in the draft. Kind of funny now, in my opinion don't you think?

How funny... :lol: You're right...I remember when Mayock said that about Curry.

I will say this though, Mayock is right a lot more than he is wrong. Kind of like me with Mike Williams... :wink: