PDA

View Full Version : "Mendenhall Injury Not Serious"

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-03-2011, 09:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822ccf95/article/steelers-rb-mendenhalls-hamstring-injury-doesnt-appear-serious?module=HP11_headline_stack)

NFL

Find this article at: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ar-serious (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822ccf95/article/steelers-rb-mendenhalls-hamstring-injury-doesnt-appear-serious)
Steelers RB Mendenhall's hamstring injury doesn't appear serious

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Oct. 3, 2011 at 02:08 p.m.
Updated: Oct. 3, 2011 at 02:25 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall left Sunday's game against the Houston Texans with a hamstring injury, but it doesn't appear serious, a league source said on Monday.

The Steelers will see how much Mendenhall can do during practice, and he could be back as soon as this weekend for Pittsburgh's home game against the Tennessee Titans.

Mendenhall carried nine times for 25 yards and scored the Steelers' only touchdown in the 17-10 loss to the Texans. He's gotten off to a slow start, with just 173 rushing yards (3.0 per carry) and two touchdowns.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora

NorthCoast
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Probably the first injury that Steelers fans will wish was worse than diagnosed....

steelblood
10-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Playing Mendenhall with an injured hamstring is unnecessary. If he can dress, let him sit on the bench as injury insurance. Moore and Redman can handle the work. If they have a good game, Mendenhall can come back in a week or two healthy and with good reason to prove himself.

Djfan
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Probably the first injury that Steelers fans will wish was worse than diagnosed....

His not being in the game helped us on Sunday, IMO.

skyhawk
10-04-2011, 01:38 PM

His not being in the game helped us on Sunday, IMO.

So did putting an extra back in the backfield to help block.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 04, 2011

Tuesday with Tomlin, more bad news

Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that linebacker James Harrison suffered a fractured orbital bone that will cause him to miss the next several weeks.

Harrison will have surgery Wednesday.

With linebacker Jason Worilds doubtful to play Sunday against Tennessee, Lawrence Timmons will shift outside, with Larry Foote starting inside.

The Steelers are also hurting at running back. Mewelde Moore has a sprained ankle, while Rashard Mendenhall has a hamstring strain, though Mendenhall is far more likely to play than Moore.

On the positive side, Tomlin said he expects quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to play, though he'll obviously be limited early in the week.

Tomlin also expects Brett Keisel, Doug Legursky and Jonathan Scott back in the lineup this week.

The return of Keisel would be particularly helpful, considering Aaron Smith is doubtful to play Sunday.

All in all, it's a long list of injuries.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

skyhawk
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
The lockout has apparently hurt the Steelers as well as other teams with many injuries to key players early in the season. :HeadBanger

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Steelers' Mendenhall likely to start vs. Jags

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rashard Mendenhall practiced Wednesday, and he is expected to return to the starting lineup at 1 p.m. Sunday when the Steelers host the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Mendenhall missed last week's game with a hamstring injury. He is only averaging 3.0 yards per carry.

His struggles and coach Mike Tomlin's vague answer when asked Tuesday about Mendenhall's role has raised questions about how the Steelers will distribute carries between Mendenhall and the emerging Isaac Redman.

"If Rashard stays patient, he'll get his time," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

Redman, who made his first career start last Sunday, said he expects Mendenhall to start against Jacksonville. With Mewelde Moore likely to miss a second straight game because of a high ankle sprain, Redman will spell Mendenhall on Sunday and serve as the third-down back.

Mendenhall has gone over the 1,000-yard rushing mark in each of the past two seasons. The fourth-year veteran is considerably off that pace with only 173 rushing yards, but yesterday he downplayed his slow start.

"As a running back you have reads, you have plays and you slide and pick and find holes. When it works everybody loves it, when it doesn't it's bad," Mendenhall said. "We just keep everything in perspective."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1adXtZyIa (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761579.html#ixzz1adXtZyIa)

DukieBoy
10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Hope he plays and plays well,and Airhead does a better job of setting him up for success. They could pass to him more out of the backfield.

And, I hope Redman shares prominently in the rotation.

MeetJoeGreene
10-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a few things to add:

What kind of person celebrates hamstring injuries?

It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never seen run hard lately. We've only heard one side.

We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing Redman can take a defense down demolition style.

For those of you who said you want to see Mendenhall sit on the bench and piss in his helmet, I ask how would Art Sr. feel about your heart?”

Djfan
10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Hope he plays and plays well,and Airhead does a better job of setting him up for success. They could pass to him more out of the backfield.

And, I hope Redman shares prominently in the rotation.

This is where I'm at with it.

RuthlessBurgher
10-13-2011, 10:01 AM

It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never seen run hard lately. We've only heard one side.

We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing Redman can take a defense down demolition style.

For those of you who said you want to see Mendenhall sit on the bench and piss in his helmet, I ask how would Art Sr. feel about your heart?”

MJG is a Bin Laden lover!!! Run for the hills!!! :lol:

ikestops85
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM

This really takes me back a few years when everybody was complaining about FWP. What they are saying now about Mendy and what they said about Willie are almost identical.

He dances in the backfield[/*:m:2cm2eaw5]
He doesn't hit the hole hard[/*:m:2cm2eaw5]
He doesn't see the hole[/*:m:2cm2eaw5]
He's only good for the homerun[/*:m:2cm2eaw5]
He can't break a tackle[/*:m:2cm2eaw5]

I've been a huge Redman fan since his first training camp but I don't think he has proven he can take over and do a better job than Mendy. Mendy is still a very good running back. I do think his timing is off ... probably because he has been crushed so many times in the backfield immediately after taking the handoff. He has a ton of talent and I think we will see him improve as the year goes on.

I do think we need to go with the two-headed monster approach at running back. We should give Redman some more carriers and see how he does. I think with Isaac pounding it will open up things for Mendy.

Also, Mendy's poor start might be a blessing in disguise since he is in a contract year. We might be able to re-sign him for less dollars. Let's not be so quick to throw this baby out with the bath water.

Djfan
10-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Fair enough, but remember that we have Batch coming on next year. He was the man in preseason and training camp.

feltdizz
10-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I like the idea of sharing the rock and Redman opening things for Mend later in games. Redman isn't taking anything to the house but he is a smaller Bettis in terms of finding what is there and getting 1st downs when you know he is getting the ball.

I really liked Mendenhall but the guy isn't getting it done right now. Hopefully the week off will get him back on track. I do have a feeling that we have run him into the ground already. He has a pretty high number of touches the last 2 years.

hawaiiansteel
10-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Anthony: Dejan, with the production of Mendenhall's backups so far this year outshining his own performance, is he at risk of losing his job or at the very last carries over the rest of the year? I understand he was injured last week giving Redman and Dwyer a chance to shine but he has done little to nothing to date in comparison to elite running backs around the league of which he is supposed to be included.

Dejan Kovacevic: Apparently, Mendenhall is just fine in Tomlin's eyes. I can't think of any other reason why Mendenhall would be setting up as the starter for Sunday. That mystifies me, especially based on Tomlin's own precedents.

You don't have to have Chuck Noll's eye for football to see that Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer ran with a ton more heart last week than Mendenhall did in any of the first four. In fairness, Mendenhall might have been beaten down by the lousy line play and gotten the pitter-patter feet as a result. But he's paid to find a way to get yards. Redman, in particular, was running as if each carry was his last.

I think Mendenhall is more talented, no matter how much nasty mail it gets me. I'll stand by that. He needs to be on the field. But I don't understand rewarding him with a start Sunday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ahIkmMJ4 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761484.html#ixzz1ahIkmMJ4)

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Anthony: Dejan, with the production of Mendenhall's backups so far this year outshining his own performance, is he at risk of losing his job or at the very last carries over the rest of the year? I understand he was injured last week giving Redman and Dwyer a chance to shine but he has done little to nothing to date in comparison to elite running backs around the league of which he is supposed to be included.

Dejan Kovacevic: Apparently, Mendenhall is just fine in Tomlin's eyes. I can't think of any other reason why Mendenhall would be setting up as the starter for Sunday. That mystifies me, especially based on Tomlin's own precedents.

You don't have to have Chuck Noll's eye for football to see that Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer ran with a ton more heart last week than Mendenhall did in any of the first four. In fairness, Mendenhall might have been beaten down by the lousy line play and gotten the pitter-patter feet as a result. But he's paid to find a way to get yards. Redman, in particular, was running as if each carry was his last.

I think Mendenhall is more talented, no matter how much nasty mail it gets me. I'll stand by that. He needs to be on the field. But I don't understand rewarding him with a start Sunday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ahIkmMJ4 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_761484.html#ixzz1ahIkmMJ4)

I guess I don't have Chuck Noll's eyes, because I don't think that Jonathan Dwyer ran with any more heart than Mendenhall has this year. He was simply the lucky recipient of one gaping hole and was untouched for 76 yards (and if he had Mendenhall's speed, he wouldn't have been caught from behind by Finnegan...that run would have gone the distance for TD instead). After that one fortunate break, Dwyer was nothing particularly special.