PDA

View Full Version : No-Huddle?

Flasteel
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Where has the no-huddle been? Didn't both Ben and Arians say it was going to be a bigger part of our gameplan? It has proven to be our most effective way to attack any team, yet we saw it for two brief moments on Sunday.

What gives?

We know Ben has campaigned heavily for it, so the onus falls to BA, then ultimately Tomlin. I honestly believe that BA fears it will show how horrible of a play-caller he really is and he hesitates to put that out there for the world to see. If so, Tomlin needs to step in and order more of it.

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Right?

A no huddle would really help in slowing down opposing defenses pass rushes. Since our line can't really block anyways even when they only bring 3 or 4.

ter1230_4
10-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Although it should be obvious to any one with an IQ higher than 10 that our offensive line is not particularly good, it apparently is not obvious to Bruce Arians. What kinds of plays do teams run when they're having a hard time blocking a pass rush? Draw plays and screen plays to keep the defense honest. So how many draw plays and screen plays did the Steelers run yesterday? I can think of only one screen play where Mendenhall fell down . There were zero draw plays. I can't even remember the last time I saw the Steelers run a draw play.

And what don't you do when your offensive line is having a hard time blocking? Run plays out of empty backfield formations. Instead, you keep someone in the backfield to 1) be a threat to run the football including draw plays, so the defense just can't pin it's ears back and rush, 2) help pass block, and 3) be able to sneak out for a checkdown throw (assuming that Ben is capable of such a thing).

Bruce Arians apparently just puts the offensive game plan together without ever once taking into consideration the fact that the offensive line is incapable of keeping Ben upright long enough to run the downfield patterns he and Ben prefer. I actually think that it might be a good thing for Ben to miss a week or two, because then Arians would have to game plan differently. I also think that it might just be the cold dose of reality that this team needs to get focused, because right now they are clearly not focused.

Flasteel
10-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Although it should be obvious to any one with an IQ higher than 10 that our offensive line is not particularly good, it apparently is not obvious to Bruce Arians. What kinds of plays do teams run when they're having a hard time blocking a pass rush? Draw plays and screen plays to keep the defense honest. So how many draw plays and screen plays did the Steelers run yesterday? I can think of only one screen play where Mendenhall fell down . There were zero draw plays. I can't even remember the last time I saw the Steelers run a draw play.

And what don't you do when your offensive line is having a hard time blocking? Run plays out of empty backfield formations. Instead, you keep someone in the backfield to 1) be a threat to run the football including draw plays, so the defense just can't pin it's ears back and rush, 2) help pass block, and 3) be able to sneak out for a checkdown throw (assuming that Ben is capable of such a thing).

Bruce Arians apparently just puts the offensive game plan together without ever once taking into consideration the fact that the offensive line is incapable of keeping Ben upright long enough to run the downfield patterns he and Ben prefer. I actually think that it might be a good thing for Ben to miss a week or two, because then Arians would have to game plan differently. I also think that it might just be the cold dose of reality that this team needs to get focused, because right now they are clearly not focused.

This has been my issue with Arians since going into the playoff loss vs Jacksonville (2007?)...he cannot and will not make the most basic adjustments to slow down the rush.

Dude needs to go...period.

steelfin
10-03-2011, 07:21 PM
The empty backfield with Ben under center plays were driving me crazy....

ter1230_4
10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Arians is the first Steelers Offensive Coordinator to run an empty backfield formation, and for the life of me I don't understand why. One of the main advantages that an offense has over the defense is that prior to the snap the offense knows if the play is going to be a run or a pass and the defense doesn't. Except when you use the empty backfield formation. So exactly what is the countervailing advantage that an offense gets by using an empty backfield formation that more than makes up for telling the defense in advance that it will be a pass play? No one has ever been able to give me a satisfactory answer. But if the Pittsburgh Steelers NEVER AGAIN lined up in an empty backfield formation I would be thrilled.

DukieBoy
10-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Right?

A no huddle would really help in slowing down opposing defenses pass rushes. Since our line can't really block anyways even when they only bring 3 or 4.

Could be that our O-line can't handle the no-huddle, because several of them are way fat and out of shape.

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Right?

Could be that our O-line can't handle the no-huddle, because several of them are way fat and out of shape.

Very true. I really noticed them walking with no enthusiasm as the huddle broke late in the game. Everyone looked tired and uninterested.

I miss when Webbie and Dirt would run to the football after every huddle.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Although it should be obvious to any one with an IQ higher than 10 that our offensive line is not particularly good, it apparently is not obvious to Bruce Arians.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252589_210949082276724_121932621178371_560650_4479 836_n.jpghttp://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/68167_171113926260240_121932621178371_325386_26932 84_n.jpg

fordfixer
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
The title of this thread should be "No No-Huddle

fezziwig
10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I still can't believe Cowher hired BA to our team in the first place and then for Tomlin, Colbert to have him as the OC especially with his crapppy track record.
BA has got to go.

NorthCoast
10-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Already posted this before Game 1, we would never see it materialize. They yak it up every preseason, then nothing when the games count.

BTW, it was documented a while back that Roethlisberger has complete control to change the play at any time. So I think he needs to take some blame here as well. You know damn well that if Ben wanted to run the no-huddle BA would not step in against him. Ben is his sole supporter.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Arians is the first Steelers Offensive Coordinator to run an empty backfield formation, and for the life of me I don't understand why. One of the main advantages that an offense has over the defense is that prior to the snap the offense knows if the play is going to be a run or a pass and the defense doesn't. Except when you use the empty backfield formation. So exactly what is the countervailing advantage that an offense gets by using an empty backfield formation that more than makes up for telling the defense in advance that it will be a pass play? No one has ever been able to give me a satisfactory answer. But if the Pittsburgh Steelers NEVER AGAIN lined up in an empty backfield formation I would be thrilled.

I'm sure opposing NFL defenses are prepared for our empty backfield formation as there is no element of surprise. in fact, teams probably spend the whole week before they play us designing 6 man blitzes and stunts for when we go empty backfield.

pittpete
10-05-2011, 02:20 PM
So how many draw plays and screen plays did the Steelers run yesterday? I can think of only one screen play where Mendenhall fell down . There were zero draw plays. I can't even remember the last time I saw the Steelers run a draw play.

sd steel
10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Already posted this before Game 1, we would never see it materialize. They yak it up every preseason, then nothing when the games count.

BTW, it was documented a while back that Roethlisberger has complete control to change the play at any time. So I think he needs to take some blame here as well. You know damn well that if Ben wanted to run the no-huddle BA would not step in against him. Ben is his sole supporter.

I think this might be a major part of the problem. I Ben capable of making a good pre snap read? We normally look like a circus with Ben audiblizing, and then he runs the play clock down to 0, and then all the blockers miss their assignments and the recevers run the wrong routes. It looks completely unorganized, and I don't remember a time where it has been consistantly effective. How about we call the play in the huddle and then run the play with no changes at the LOS?

RuthlessBurgher
10-05-2011, 04:17 PM

I think this might be a major part of the problem. I Ben capable of making a good pre snap read? We normally look like a circus with Ben audiblizing, and then he runs the play clock down to 0, and then all the blockers miss their assignments and the recevers run the wrong routes. It looks completely unorganized, and I don't remember a time where it has been consistantly effective. How about we call the play in the huddle and then run the play with no changes at the LOS?

In Men's Health magazine, James Harrison said Ben Roethlisberger should stop trying to be Peyton Manning. :stirpot

fezziwig
10-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I do have to say, " when doing good or bad our offense looks like a jumbled mess prior to the snap of the ball. " Then they look like a total mess once the ball is snapped.

I would like to see more screens, more check downs and not waiting for the last second or two for the snap.

I'd also like to see David Johnson actually pickup a blocker, know when the ball is coming at him. I've been waiting for Kemo to finally get it together but I can see now, it will never happen. He has the size and strenght but, he doesn't seem to have the smarts. Neither does Johnson.

feltdizz
10-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I never understood how fans could praise Ben to no end while bashing Arians. Ben is the main reason Arians is around. Heck, Ben is the reason the FO and coaches thought we could keep playing with this OL. Its time to ignore Bens praise for BA and the OL and get him some protection.

Bash Manning and Brady all you want for speaking up when the OL fails but I think that is what QB's do when they want to stay clean.

I'm officially on the BA must go wagon.

PS: draw plays will not work with this OL. A draw play is an automatic 5 yard loss. We can't sell screens and we can't sell draws. Get rid of the shotgun draw too...