4 men sent = 9
3 men sent = 4

Number of times a DB was sent = 2
Number of times LaMarr Woodley was sent to rush the QB = 11

Cant' stop the run
Can't get pressure on the QB
No Sacks
No turnovers

Maybe they should change things up? And at least go down swinging with your strength?

phillyesq
10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
You've been beating this drum for a while, and you have a point. The Steelers D is at its best when it creates pressure. With no Andrew Johnson for most of the game, there was less need to guard against the big passing play.

Dee Dub
10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
You've been beating this drum for a while, and you have a point. The Steelers D is at its best when it creates pressure. With no Andrew Johnson for most of the game, there was less need to guard against the big passing play.

Yeah I know...and it's getting old for me too. I know why LeBeau is doing this (Ryan Clark-Troy Polamalu), but I dont agree with going away from your strength.

phillyesq
10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't need much convincing, in part because it's simply more enjoyable to watch the defense when they bring heat. Good pressure can make up for a lot of shortcomings in coverage.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-03-2011, 03:10 PM
i'm thinking its more a function of the front 3 getting blocked 1 on 1.

in the past we have been able to count on hamp and/or smith occupying 2 blockers. that isn't happening and lebeau may be a little slow in trying to counter that.

the lack of pressure is frightening.

pittpete
10-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Blitz-burgh has become ****z-burgh :HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM

http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/10467/FS_DA_090409_worst-johnson.jpg http://images.paraorkut.com/img/football/images/a/andre_johnson_of_houston-60.png :P

papillon
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I saw this one coming a mile away; I didn't even bother looking for a picture of Andrew Johnson. I knew Ruthless was on the job. :D

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I saw this one coming a mile away; I didn't even bother looking for a picture of Andrew Johnson. I knew Ruthless was on the job. :D

Pappy

That's what I'm here for (it's certainly not for my knowledge or anything :mrgreen: ).

Doogie36
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
How many did they send in on the RUNNING PLAYS? we can't stop that either and there is such a thing as RUN BLITZING! I thought i seen a few RUN BLITZES and we messed them up as well.

Eich
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't need much convincing, in part because it's simply more enjoyable to watch the defense when they bring heat. Good pressure can make up for a lot of shortcomings in coverage.

It's what other teams are doing to us. No one is going to cover Wallace, Brown and Heath for very long. So, they bring some heat and our line can't stop them.

phillyesq
10-03-2011, 04:56 PM

http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/10467/FS_DA_090409_worst-johnson.jpg http://images.paraorkut.com/img/football/images/a/andre_johnson_of_houston-60.png :P

Arg. This is what happens when I post too quickly. Silly job...

NWNewell
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
14/21 for 138 yards (6.5 yds/att).

Steelers pass defense is #1 in the league by more than 20yds per game. While Opponent QB rating is #13, they are only doing so at only 5.7 yd/att (tied for best in the league).

We don't have the sack numbers, but pass rush/defense is not the problem.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Steelers pass defense is #1 in the league by more than 20yds per game. While Opponent QB rating is #13, they are only doing so at only 5.7 yd/att (tied for best in the league).

Stats can be misleading. For example, why would the offense have to risk a pass when they have been grounding away at this run D to the tune of 119.5 yards/game?

Second, when you are constantly turning the ball over (11 turnovers on offense, tied for most in the league) you are either giving the D a shorter field to drive or getting the ball back right away if they score on that turnover. Both are very negative but usually result in few passing yards against.

Third, while pass rush and sacks might not result in huge number swings in the passing game - what is the average sack? About 5 negative yards? - It is huge towards changing momentum and putting the opposing team in difficult situations.

That being said, I think that the pass coverage D has been tremendous so far this year, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to swing the game for us.

Djfan
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
That's what I'm here for (it's certainly not for my knowledge or anything :mrgreen: ).

I'm here for my good looks.

NWNewell
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Stats can be misleading. For example, why would the offense have to risk a pass when they have been grounding away at this run D to the tune of 119.5 yards/game?

Second, when you are constantly turning the ball over (11 turnovers on offense, tied for most in the league) you are either giving the D a shorter field to drive or getting the ball back right away if they score on that turnover. Both are very negative but usually result in few passing yards against.

Third, while pass rush and sacks might not result in huge number swings in the passing game - what is the average sack? About 5 negative yards? - It is huge towards changing momentum and putting the opposing team in difficult situations.

That being said, I think that the pass coverage D has been tremendous so far this year, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to swing the game for us.

True, they are not passing too often because the are running well on us (so you could ignore the yds/game stat if you like). But WHEN they choose to pass, they are not doing well. Below average QB ratting & tied for worst yds/attempt against us. Granted, we have not faced a lot of good QB's (all the more reason not to risk as many blitz). Also, our pass defense is 2nd & 3rd in the league against 1st down % and 1st down made.

Again, the problem is not the pass rush/defense.

The problem is that offenses are getting AHEAD of schedule with 1st and second down runs.

We are not blitzing much because teams are rarely in second/third and long. When teams need to let the 8-10 yard routes develop and the blitz has time to get there (or they complete a pass short of a 1st down), blitzing is smart and has a high likelihood of being successful. On 2nd & 5 or 3rd & 2, it's easy to beat a blitz and get the ball out on quick hits or hot routes for 1st downs.

LeBeau is not necessarily intentionally calling less blitzes, philosophically. Our first and second down run defense is not providing the appropriate situations to blitz more.

We all love to see blitzes. I'd love to see more blitzes. They are exciting. And you are right. Sacks and -5 yds are huge. But you have to put yourself in a good position to execute a successful blitz by getting the offense behind schedule on first and/or second down. Situationally, our early down run defense is providing less opportunities. Plan and simple. You can't force it, or we'll get torched.

RuthlessBurgher
10-04-2011, 01:13 PM

I'm here for my good looks.

You've got a face for a message board. :D

grotonsteel
10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Now with Harrison injured why not switch to 4-3 D till harrison gets back?? I think D-lIne of Hood-McClendon-Hampton and Kiesel will play better than LB corp of Timmons-Woodley-Foote-Farrior.

Let MClendon,Kiesel and Hood rush the passer and Hampton can occupy 2 blockers.