PDA

View Full Version : GEEE WHIZ PEOPLE! The real problem is

BDESteel
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Rashard Mendenhall! I keep reading that Ben sucks, the receivers suck, the O-line sucks, the Defense sucks. Well, I'm saying it Mendenhall. Delicious is straight up nasty right now.

The guy's barely averaging 3.0 yds/carry. This won't help any team get a win let alone a team with a weak o-line like ours. I mean, come on, Memo has 4 carries for 34 yds, an 8.5 avg. Redman has 6 carries for 40 yds, a 6.6 avg and moldy Rashard has 9 carries for 25 yds, a 2.7 yard average,,, really!

Sit Mendy down and give Redman the start. With his 6.6 yard average the Steelers can actually attempt more than 19 rushes / game and keep the opposing teams defense from bringing the house on every play. This would sustain drives so our D could get ample rest, we'd control the clock instead of the other guys controlling the clock. I don't know about you, but I'm not used to watching Ben sit on the sideline for 11 minutes waiting for his chance to score some points. Ben wouldn't get pummeled like he has been, which would give him and his recievers time to run average, effective short routes instead of going for the home run so much. Establish the RUN GAME, that's it.

Start Isaac Redman next week and we'll see everything change. The defense has allowed an average of 18 points / game, historically that's been enough for us to win games! Start Redman!

Steelgal
10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I have never been a huge Mendenhall fan. I think he's an average back, nothing special. I didn't see the game yesterday, but listened to it in the car. Redman seemed to have more success. I'm all for him getting more carries or even taking over the starting role. Let's see what the kid can do.

LouSteel
10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I think the REAL problem is the OL... but I think that, given the crummy line the backs have to work with, we need to play a guy that hits a hole with authority rather than trying to buy time for blocks that will never develop.

So yeah, Redman definitely showed that he deserves more carries.

chiken
10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
hmm, hard to dispute those numbers. And he does advance through Cracks that Mendy seems to try and Dance around.

could it really be that simple..

I'm drinking the koolaid on this one..

I hope we try it (Mendy is dinged up so this might be the absolute right time to give it a go) Something has got to change on BOTH sides of the Ball.

SteelBucks
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
bad o-line = bad offense

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Rashard Mendenhall! I keep reading that Ben sucks, the receivers suck, the O-line sucks, the Defense sucks. Well, I'm saying it Mendenhall. Delicious is straight up nasty right now.

The guy's barely averaging 3.0 yds/carry. This won't help any team get a win let alone a team with a weak o-line like ours. I mean, come on, Memo has 4 carries for 34 yds, an 8.5 avg. Redman has 6 carries for 40 yds, a 6.6 avg and moldy Rashard has 9 carries for 25 yds, a 2.7 yard average,,, really!

Sit Mendy down and give Redman the start. With his 6.6 yard average the Steelers can actually attempt more than 19 rushes / game and keep the opposing teams defense from bringing the house on every play. This would sustain drives so our D could get ample rest, we'd control the clock instead of the other guys controlling the clock. I don't know about you, but I'm not used to watching Ben sit on the sideline for 11 minutes waiting for his chance to score some points. Ben wouldn't get pummeled like he has been, which would give him and his recievers time to run average, effective short routes instead of going for the home run so much. Establish the RUN GAME, that's it.

Start Isaac Redman next week and we'll see everything change. The defense has allowed an average of 18 points / game, historically that's been enough for us to win games! Start Redman!
:Agree :Clap

BDESteel
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
bad o-line = bad offense
That's not true. The Colts were never known to have a good offensive line and they've been pretty successful over the years, no?

The Steelers' success has always been moving the ball on the ground and we did when Mendy was out and they put themselves back into the game.

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Two running backs taken with back-to-back (23rd and 24th overall) picks in the 2008 NFL draft will face off against each other at Heinz Field this weekend. Rashard Mendenhall's 3.0 yard per carry average vs. Chris Johnson's 2.9 yard per carry average. Should be epic. :wink:

Eich
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think Spindenhall is the "real" problem. But behind this horrific O-Line, Redman is the better back to start.

I've never been a big Spindenhall fan but he's pretty decent when the line is doing their job. But if the holes are hard to come by, he dances and hesitates too much. Redman and oddly, MeMo, are both better behind this line.

BDESteel
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Two running backs taken with back-to-back (23rd and 24th overall) picks in the 2008 NFL draft will face off against each other at Heinz Field this weekend. Rashard Mendenhall's 3.0 yard per carry average vs. Chris Johnson's 2.9 yard per carry average. Should be epic. :wink:

:lol: It would be epic, but depending on Mendy's foot injury, the Steelers may have no choice but to start Redman.

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Redman played well yesterday. But he had the luxury of Arians playing a FB (Johnson) most of the time. I was like "hey, no fair, he gets a FB and Mendy doesn't??"

Mendy didn't get a lead blocker early in the game.

If you want to run the ball effectively, a FB needs to be in there. Ever since Arians took over, the Steelers run game really has been terrible.

hellbanger
10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Redman played well yesterday. But he had the luxury of Arians playing a FB (Johnson) most of the time. I was like "hey, no fair, he gets a FB and Mendy doesn't??"

If you want to run the ball effectively, a FB needs to be in there. Ever since Arians took over, the Steelers run game really has been terrible.

Mendy dances well on his own back there, he doesn't need a partner

Slapstick
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You referred to D. Johnson as "fullback" and "lead blocker"....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pahn711
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
hmm, hard to dispute those numbers. And he does advance through Cracks that Mendy seems to try and Dance around.

could it really be that simple..

I'm drinking the koolaid on this one..

I hope we try it (Mendy is dinged up so this might be the absolute right time to give it a go) Something has got to change on BOTH sides of the Ball.

Its definitely an issue of running styles at the moment, but no I don't think its that simple. Mendenhall still gives us the best chance of breaking a long game-changing run, thats why BA insists on keeping him in the lineup. Changing pace is definitely needed though, hence why I keep hoping for more running back by committee.

Shawn
10-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I have to disagree with the sentiment about Mendenhall. Rashard is a premiere back...no doubt in my mind about that. So why is he playing poorly while Red seems to be flourishing? It's merely about running style. Red can create holes...he runs one way...foward and he runs with authority. That is perfect for an O without an OL. Mendenhall has it all...speed, some power, great hands and terrific vision. But, Mendy doesn't always hit the first hole...he is always looking to break one. He doesn't have the power to create holes. He needs an OL to do it's job. With this OL, Red should be getting at least 50% of the carries.

focosteeler
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
maybe i was seeing things, but redman even moore had success running when we pulled kemo and johnson over to the right, so much infact we ran the play multiple times. I dont remember seeing mendy run that play once during the game. not defending mendy's dancing in the backfield but he NEVER had a hole like Redman had on one of those plays. maybe if he wouldve we wouldnt be saying he is the problem

Lonbull
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
bad o-line = bad offense
That's not true. The Colts were never known to have a good offensive line and they've been pretty successful over the years, no?

The Steelers' success has always been moving the ball on the ground and we did when Mendy was out and they put themselves back into the game.

BDESteel - Here is our Offensive Line for the 2005-2006 Super Bowl Run.

RT - Max Starks
RG - Kendall Simmons
C - Jeff Hartings
LG - Alan Faneca
LT - Marvel Smith

Granted Smith was dinged up that season (similiar to Max last season) - but outside of Pouncey....there's no one even close on our line compared to this group....and this group wasn't necessarily "amazing"....they are by contrast....but at the time they weren't.

L.B.

Eich
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM

RT - Max Starks
RG - Kendall Simmons
C - Jeff Hartings
LG - Alan Faneca
LT - Marvel Smith

Granted Smith was dinged up that season (similiar to Max last season) - but outside of Pouncey....there's no one even close on our line compared to this group....and this group wasn't necessarily "amazing"....they are by contrast....but at the time they weren't.

L.B.

I was just saying the same thing to some friends. Can you imagine today's skill players with this line! We won that super bowl with Ward, Randle El and Cedric the entertainer!

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
bad o-line = bad offense

RT - Max Starks
RG - Kendall Simmons
C - Jeff Hartings
LG - Alan Faneca
LT - Marvel Smith

L.B.

Who's got the starting OL for the 2008 super bowl??

Who's got the starting OL for the 1995 super bowl??

Eich
10-03-2011, 04:49 PM
bad o-line = bad offense

RT - Max Starks
RG - Kendall Simmons
C - Jeff Hartings
LG - Alan Faneca
LT - Marvel Smith

L.B.

Not 100% sure about the Super Bowls but for the year:
1995:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... roster.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1995_roster.htm)
TE Mark Bruener/Jonathan Hayes
LT John Jackson
LG Tom Newberry
C Dermontti Dawson
RG Justin Strzelczyk/Brenden Stai
RT Leon Searcy

2008:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... roster.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2008_roster.htm)
TE Heath Miller
LT Max Starks/Marvel Smith
LG Chris Kemoeatu
C Justin Hartwig
RG Darnell Stapleton
RT Willie Colon

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
bad o-line = bad offense

RT - Max Starks
RG - Kendall Simmons
C - Jeff Hartings
LG - Alan Faneca
LT - Marvel Smith

L.B.

Not 100% sure about the Super Bowls but for the year:
1995:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... roster.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/1995_roster.htm)
TE Mark Bruener/Jonathan Hayes
LT John Jackson
LG Tom Newberry
C Dermontti Dawson
RG Justin Strzelczyk/Brenden Stai
RT Leon Searcy

2008:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... roster.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2008_roster.htm)
TE Heath Miller
LT Max Starks/Marvel Smith
LG Chris Kemoeatu
C Justin Hartwig
RG Darnell Stapleton
RT Willie Colon

Wow. I miss the 90's. We even had Duval Love. So that's 3 pro bowlers on the line and John Jackson, who was very underrated IMO.

Shoe
10-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Justin Strzelczyk never got near the credit he deserved. He'd be perfect for our team right now: Tough as all heck, versatile, didn't look pretty, didn't own the opposition, or have all the measurables... he just got the job done!

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Justin Strzelczyk never got near the credit he deserved. He'd be perfect for our team right now: Tough as all heck, versatile, didn't look pretty, didn't own the opposition, or have all the measurables... he just got the job done!

Yep. I miss good ol' mountain man too!

BDESteel
10-04-2011, 12:54 AM
bad o-line = bad offense

RT - Max Starks
RG - Kendall Simmons
C - Jeff Hartings
LG - Alan Faneca
LT - Marvel Smith

L.B.

I don't get your point. We also had a great full back (Kreider) and a better RB's corp. That was FWP's first year w/out the Bus.

Don't compare any past Steelers team, only look at the production of our current RB's and think about what having an effective run game does for any team. Someone said we used Johnson when Red was in, but he wasn't in there for every Red and MeMo carry. Those guys got it done and Mendy is in a funk.

I've never understood why our team sticks with the same guy even though we've got effective alternatives waiting to shine. We don't need a big run now and then, we need consistent runs that achieve first downs, momentum building runs. Okay, I can understand why, but we still need to make that change before the Ravens get out of reach.

Jooser
10-04-2011, 01:53 AM
bad o-line = bad offense

Keep saying it, you're absolutely correct.

Steelers>NFL
10-04-2011, 08:16 AM
bad o-line = bad offense

Colts never had BA calling plays. Or a QB who holds the ball alot.

BDESteel
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
bad o-line = bad offense

Colts never had BA calling plays. Or a QB who holds the ball alot.

You're absolutely correct. I still remain optimistic that Redman will get a bulk of the carries this weekend and we'll see the Steelers offense flourish like it should.

I'm not wishing for Mendy's injury to keep him out, because that adds to our lack of depth to the offense, but If we can run the ball 30+ times against the Jags because our run game is effective, we'll see a difference in how the entire team looks.

feltdizz
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
We had awesome OL's in the 90's because all we had was a running game. Our QB's stunk back then. Can't pay for/draft top talent on the OL when your QB is making 100 mill and demands more WR weapons...

BDESteel
10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
We had awesome OL's in the 90's because all we had was a running game. Our QB's stunk back then. Can't pay for/draft top talent on the OL when your QB is making 100 mill and demands more WR weapons...
Even more than that, the Steelers aren't tryin to pay big money for an O-linesman, or they would've paid Faneca or drafted high for one. The line is bad, but they can overcome that.

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
bump

amazing what some good blocking (run and pass pro) can do for an offense

SteelAbility
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
The problem is the OL. It looked much better today. I do agree that with an OL with these problems, Redman is more effective than Mendenhall. He runs lower to the ground. But for goodness sakes, Dwyer looked like HOF behind the improved blocking. Mendy would have taken that for a TD.

NJ-STEELER
10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
i'll also add that i think bronce in there for kemo may be an improvement.

they are both average OGs but bronco isnt gonna make that mental mistake kemo seems to average per quarter

SteelAbility
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
i'll also add that i think bronce in there for kemo may be an improvement.

they are both average OGs but bronco isnt gonna make that mental mistake kemo seems to average per quarter

not to mention not clocking someone down on the ground with no advantage after the play is over and incurring 15 yards.