PDA

View Full Version : Redman>>>>Mendenhall

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
There was a time when Redman fans were asked if he was better than Mendenhall... well I think the answer right now is yes, he is better than Mendenhall.

Mendenhall may have the speed and the 1st round over Redman but that is all he has right now. Mendenhall looks like Willie Parker right now... and not the good Willie Parker.

RussBII
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
There was a time when Redman fans were asked if he was better than Mendenhall... well I think the answer right now is yes, he is better than Mendenhall.

Mendenhall may have the speed and the 1st round over Redman but that is all he has right now. Mendenhall looks like Willie Parker right now... and not the good Willie Parker.

I just posted this somewhere else.

Redman knows how to hit the hole. Mendy CAN do that, but now Mendy is scared. I get it, our O-Line sucks, you're gonna get thumped. But being scared isn't really allowed at the RB positions...

I think we should bench Mendy next week and show him his job is not guaranteed.

fezziwig
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Mendy continues to look for the big run instead of hitting the hole and pushing defenders back.
Redman has the attitude and talent to adjust to the stacked lines and he gets things done.
Start Redman, allow him to soften up the defense and if Mendenhall wants to run outside with fresh legs then, so be it.

SidSmythe
10-03-2011, 08:16 PM
with defenses being as fast as they are today ... if ur making more than 1 cut before you hit the line of scrimmage ur wasting your time.

Redman keeps moving forward. Whether it's 1 yard, 4 yards or 15 yards, it's b/c he's moving forward. Mendenhall is moving lateral and that doesn't cut it in the NFL.

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Redman reminds me of a taller, more nimble, Bettis - always falling forward for positive gain. Redman has great lower body strength.

steelz09
10-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Agreed and since everyone watching the game sees this and realizes this.... Arian's will give Redman a whopping 2 carries next game.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Redman is Digest Player of the Week

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest
Posted Oct 2, 2011

The Steelers needed to find a way to get their running attack going, if for no other reason than to give their offensive linemen a fighting chance against the Texans’ pass rush. Rashard Mendenhall was held to 14 yards on four carries in the first half, but Isaac Redman provided the running attack with a spark starting in the third quarter.

Redman gained 32 yards on five carries in the third quarter, and he finished with 40 yards on six carries, to go along with one pass reception for 12 yards and an 18-yard kickoff return. Redman is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were Troy Polamalu, who led the team with nine tackles including one for loss; Daniel Sepulveda, who averaged 50.5 yards on his four punts with one inside the 20-yard line; Mike Wallace, who caught four passes for 77 yards; and Antonio Brown, who had one carry for 8 yards, five catches for 67 more and a 33-yard punt return.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 28034b4381 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Redman-is-Digest-Player-of-the-Week/488a4d02-e7bb-4444-907d-7b28034b4381)

Dee Dub
10-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Ya know felt, I'm starting to come around to this as well. And you remember how much I was in Mendy's corner when we had Parker. But I see a back who seems to be regressing. We have a bad line no question but sometimes running downhill and hitting a hole hard can create more space and it can be run through before it closes. Mendy seems to be seeing it close and then starts to slow down and look for space elsewhere.

SteelTorch
10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I will say this much, Redman definitely seems to be the better INSIDE runner so far. All of Mendy's best gains seem to come from the outside, yet BA still insists on stuffing him up the middle.

feltdizz
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Ya know felt, I'm starting to come around to this as well. And you remember how much I was in Mendy's corner when we had Parker. But I see a back who seems to be regressing. We have a bad line no question but sometimes running downhill and hitting a hole hard can create more space and it can be run through before it closes. Mendy seems to be seeing it close and then starts to slow down and look for space elsewhere.

It looks like Mendenhall thinks he is still in college and he is looking for huge holes to run through. The holes are their but they aren't big and they don't stay open long.

Sit him for a week or 2, let him rest his injury and see the game from the sideline.

I really do wonder if the outside distractions from this summer are still bugging him. All it takes is one bad game to start thinking about "what if they move on after my contract is up?" and thus he is trying for the big play.