PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Young Players Thread

steelblood
10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
My take:

The Rookies

Cam Heyward-Aaron Smith getting hurt was a good thing. Heyward played a lot of snaps and did pretty well. He pressured the QB on one play and a few plays later drove the guard into the backfield and almost got Foster for a loss. Heyward is a little inconsistent at this point. But, in limited action, he was better than Smith.

Marcus Gilbert-Yes, he gave up a few sacks. But, I only saw one that was entirely his fault. On the other, Gilbert rode Williams past Ben and shoved him downfield. Unfortunately, Ben had left the pocket and was scrambling to his left. Gilbert should have tried to maintain contact instead of pushing Williams. Still, Gilbert kept the pocket clean on that play. Gilbert had chip help on several plays, but he was also left to fend for himself on several others. Overall, I though he did adequately against a fantastic player. In the running game, Gilbert really opened some nice holes in the second half. He and Foster were the best run blockers of the day. On one play, Gilbert took J.J. Watt and knocked him back 7 yards. On another, he combo blocked a DL with Foster and then broke off and drove a linebacker ten yards downfield. Virtually all of the Steelers' successful run plays were to the right side.

Curtis Brown-He is looking like a real special teams demon right now. We will need to start getting him some reps in the dime sets.

2nd year guys.

Brown and Sanders still miss some hot routes. But, Brown has really emerged and can handle duty on the outside. Brown should be the starter in front of Hines. Come on coach.
Sanders is a talent that we have not quite figured out how to use. We must utilize the quickness of these players to get the ball off more quickly and reduce the burden on the O-line.

Pouncey-To be fair, Pouncey isn't exactly playing with top tier talent around him. Still, he has certainly not been as effective as last season. And, Ben's injury is entirely on him. An interior linemen with Pouncey's skill should not get beaten like that. He should bounce back. I believe the ankle that Pouncey reinjured in the preseason is likely still bothering him

Worilds-I've seen very little I like.

Sylvestor-Still looking cat quick on special teams. Should be worked into the defense. Is certainly faster than Farrior or Foote who can't run with TEs or RBs.

3rd Year guys-

Wallace. Can anyone cover him one on one?

Lewis. Deserves a shot at the starting corner job opposite Ike. Still transitions awkwardly, but he is physical and can turn and run with fast receivers.

Hood. Does not look as strong at the POA as last year. Where is his pass rush?

What do you think?

steeler_george
10-03-2011, 12:26 PM
My take:

The Rookies

Cam Heyward-Aaron Smith getting hurt was a good thing. Heyward played a lot of snaps and did pretty well. He pressured the QB on one play and a few plays later drove the guard into the backfield and almost got Foster for a loss. Heyward is a little inconsistent at this point. But, in limited action, he was better than Smith.

:Agree

Marcus Gilbert-Yes, he gave up a few sacks. But, I only saw one that was entirely his fault. On the other, Gilbert rode Williams past Ben and shoved him downfield. Unfortunately, Ben had left the pocket and was scrambling to his left. Gilbert should have tried to maintain contact instead of pushing Williams. Still, Gilbert kept the pocket clean on that play. Gilbert had chip help on several plays, but he was also left to fend for himself on several others. Overall, I though he did adequately against a fantastic player. In the running game, Gilbert really opened some nice holes in the second half. He and Foster were the best run blockers of the day. On one play, Gilbert took J.J. Watt and knocked him back 7 yards. On another, he combo blocked a DL with Foster and then broke off and drove a linebacker ten yards downfield. Virtually all of the Steelers' successful run plays were to the right side.

Curtis Brown-He is looking like a real special teams demon right now. We will need to start getting him some reps in the dime sets.

Yes, so was Madsion, and we didn't want near the field on D.

2nd year guys.

Brown and Sanders still miss some hot routes. But, Brown has really emerged and can handle duty on the outside. Brown should be the starter in front of Hines. Come on coach.
Sanders is a talent that we have not quite figured out how to use. We must utilize the quickness of these players to get the ball off more quickly and reduce the burden on the O-line.

They are going to be Dynamic as they get more and more experience.

Pouncey-To be fair, Pouncey isn't exactly playing with top tier talent around him. Still, he has certainly not been as effective as last season. And, Ben's injury is entirely on him. An interior linemen with Pouncey's skill should not get beaten like that. He should bounce back. I believe the ankle that Pouncey reinjured in the preseason is likely still bothering him

Worilds-I've seen very little I like.

Only time we tell, with the limited snaps and still getting use to playing a 3-4 LB.

Sylvestor-Still looking cat quick on special teams. Should be worked into the defense. Is certainly faster than Farrior or Foote who can't run with TEs or RBs.

I think his inexperience is the reason why.3rd Year guys-

Wallace. Can anyone cover him one on one?

Best player on the team on both sides of the ball.

Lewis. Deserves a shot at the starting corner job opposite Ike. Still transitions awkwardly, but he is physical and can turn and run with fast receivers.

I think he is playing very good, but then again the reams are running on us at will, and not even really spreading us out yet.

Hood. Does not look as strong at the POA as last year. Where is his pass rush?

He looks lost as the rest of the DL.

What do you think?