PDA

View Full Version : Deebo: "We played like garbage. Period. We stink"

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Ed: Run Defense a Misnomer?

SUNDAY, 02 OCTOBER 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The status of Ben Roethlisberger remains unknown as we head into the evening here in Houston. Ben did not know as he climbed onto the plane, his agent did not know and if the Steelers knew, they weren't saying.

However, that left foot injury does not look good and Roethlisbeger did not feel good about it after the game, according to some close to him.

You never know with Ben. He's tough and he's bounced back from all kinds of injuries, motorcycle crashes, etc. He played half of last season with a broken bone in his right foot. But there are breaks, and there are breaks.

Maybe we'll know a little more Monday.

Some other things from today:

-- The Steelers run defense cannot be this bad, can they? How do you go from the third-lowest yards per game since 1970 at 62.8 to nearly double that at 119.5? They did not get that old that quickly and, besides, it's not all the old guys who are failing them on defense. LaMarr Woodley, how old is he again?

-- Sorry, but this offensive line better improve quickly or there will be no quarterbacks to finish out this season. Maybe no running backs either. This is the worst it's been over the past several years and those lines were not going to the Pro Bowl either.

-- That hit on Hines Ward should have been whistled for a foul because he was in a defenseless position when he was whacked just as the ball reached him. But the Steelers got the best of the rest of the calls Sunday and still could not take advantage.

-- I hate to say that I predicted the Texans would win by 7 points because I had the score 31-24 and it wasn't close to that. Actually, it should have been about 31-10.

-- How do you get a 30-yard field goal try blocked in the pros?

-- The more I watch, the more and more I'm convinced that for this offense right now Isaac Redman is a better fit at running back than Rashard Mendenhall. Redman runs straight ahead, pushes linemen back and can get yards when the holes are not there and also hits the holes quickly when they are. Mendenhall is a thorougbred once he gets through the holes, but he cannot for the most part. Mendenhall has 173 yards on 48 carries (3.0), and Redman has 107 on 22 (4.9).

-- Ike Taylor played another good game, if you're looking for silver linings on defense.

-- James Harrison was looking for no silver linings.

"I'm not happy with any of it,'' he said. "It's a loss. I'm not trying to look for a silver lining in any of it.''

-- Harrison was angry. "We played like garbage. Period. We stink.'' He also said he cannot remember anything like it during his years with the Steelers.

"I haven't seen it like this, maybe a preseason game here and there, but not like this the way it's going right now."

-- And, if you're looking for other omens, Andre Johnson, Houston's fine receiver, left the game for good with a hamstring injury with 6:10 to go in the first half. So, they virtually won the game without him.

-- If it makes you feel any better, the Steelers are likely to be 4-2 as they head to Arizona in a few weeks. They cannot lose to either Tennessee and Jacksonville at home, can they?

http://burgh.us/8ak

steelblood
10-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Why can't we lose to Tennessee? They are playing well right now. Even Jacksonville has a shot at us.

Shoe
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
The good thing is that the tape doesn't lie. We (fans) aren't stupid. We see who's not playing up to par. Those guys, and everyone, will have to be accountable... or at least we hope so. Accountable means the coach evaluates you and your P.T. based on your performance during the games. If that happens, either: a) Tomlin benches guys this Sunday, or b) guys step up their games. There shouldn't be a c). (a C as in, guys don't get benched and they don't improve their games).

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
The good thing is that the tape doesn't lie. We (fans) aren't stupid. We see who's not playing up to par. Those guys, and everyone, will have to be accountable... or at least we hope so. Accountable means the coach evaluates you and your P.T. based on your performance during the games. If that happens, either: a) Tomlin benches guys this Sunday, or b) guys step up their games. There shouldn't be a c). (a C as in, guys don't get benched and they don't improve their games).

Our OL stinks... and we have never improved that area. I don't think we are capable of evaluating talent and benching the old heads/bad players.

Sonny
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Likely to be 4-2? LOL, even with Ben's current status?

If anyone wants a win in Pittsburgh, it is Matt Hasselbeck.

Steelgal
10-03-2011, 11:39 AM

Our OL stinks... and we have never improved that area. I don't think we are capable of evaluating talent and benching the old heads/bad players.

I remember people were shocked that the Ravens cut Heap, Mason, McGayhee (sp??) earlier this year. It was their veteran players that had been with them for years. Most heavily criticized the moves. Now look at them. Their 2 young tight ends are playing very well. Torrey Smith had 3 TDs last week, not sure what he did yesterday. They got younger in key areas and are 3-1. The Steelers should have done the same. In the past the Steelers have had the luxury of not needing their top draft picks to play in their first season. Well that time is over. Get the younger guys involved and phase out the veterens. This isn't about respect, it's about winning games. After seeing what the vets have done, it's time to give the young guys a shot.

Eich
10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
If we keep playing like this, Tennessee is going to beat us and beat us badly.

Things need to change. Start different players. Call a different scheme. What we've been doing isn't working.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
How about some of our offensive linemen start CHOP BLOCKING our opponents, when did this cr@p become legal, Casey is being cut so often it's only a matter of time before he is injured. The only way for this to become an issue is if OUR guys start doing it, then the league will ban it for sure!

Shoe
10-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I remember people were shocked that the Ravens cut Heap, Mason, McGayhee (sp??) earlier this year. It was their veteran players that had been with them for years. Most heavily criticized the moves. Now look at them. Their 2 young tight ends are playing very well. Torrey Smith had 3 TDs last week, not sure what he did yesterday. They got younger in key areas and are 3-1. The Steelers should have done the same. In the past the Steelers have had the luxury of not needing their top draft picks to play in their first season. Well that time is over. Get the younger guys involved and phase out the veterens. This isn't about respect, it's about winning games. After seeing what the vets have done, it's time to give the young guys a shot.

I'm not sure most criticized them. I suppose most talking heads, who don't say anything anyway. But people who know will tell you that's a good way to stay relevant. Cut dead weight. DAL has tried to do the same thing, and if their QB could not blow things for them, they would be sitting pretty so far.

And you're right. Hampton is a prime example, of a guy who was retained who really was someone you don't ink (3rd contract). Ike is another, though I will say that even though I was fine with letting him walk, he is a guy who definitely seems like a self-starter (i.e. doesn't get complacent). Polamalu is another 3rd contract type guy.

steelz09
10-03-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm not sure most criticized them. I suppose most talking heads, who don't say anything anyway. But people who know will tell you that's a good way to stay relevant. Cut dead weight. DAL has tried to do the same thing, and if their QB could not blow things for them, they would be sitting pretty so far.

And you're right. Hampton is a prime example, of a guy who was retained who really was someone you don't ink (3rd contract). Ike is another, though I will say that even though I was fine with letting him walk, he is a guy who definitely seems like a self-starter (i.e. doesn't get complacent). Polamalu is another 3rd contract type guy.

Polamalu and Ike I'll give a free pass on....but historically the Steelers let players walk when they hit 30 or beyond. Now, we're keeping guys around that are close to collecting social security.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Amazingly enough I heard Joey Porter's name as an active player yesterday. And Smoky Williams (UT, Saints, Dolphins, and now RAVENS!!) was on TV last night.

It's a weird league.

NorthCoast
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Well I would like to say to Harrison it's nice to acknowledge you stink, but what are you going to do about it? and when will it get done?
I am afraid that getting outplayed in the trenches is going to be very difficult to rectify using some exotic 'scheme' that LeBeau might dream up. In that area it's all about mano-a-mano ...

Shoe
10-03-2011, 11:10 PM
It's better that he acknowledges it and is angry about it, as opposed to poopooing it and acting politically correct. Woodley is probably sitting next to him flipping through his wallet, saying "One game at a time" and making other statements that show how much he cares.

I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm so hard on Woodley. I guess like I said, he really has no excuse. He's young, he's just got rewarded, and he's playing like hot garbage.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 03:03 AM
James Harrison: If one person doesn't get the job done, it looks bad for the whole squad

Steelers linebacker goes off on team again - this time on defense's effort in Houston

Tuesday, October 04, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201110/steele1004_330.jpg

The Texans' Arian Foster (23) breaks away from Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley Sunday.

A perturbed James Harrison suggests that if the Steelers defense cannot play better than it has, they must make some changes. He did not say who should be involved in those changes, but made it clear the defensive scheme is not to blame.

"Every man needs to do his job, take care of his responsibilities," Harrison fumed after the Houston Texans gouged his defense Sunday. "It's not the scheme, it's not other BS; it's each man doing his job, and, right now, every man is not doing his job, period."

How's that?

"People are getting beat. You have to come out there and work the man who's in front of you, and we're not doing that right now."

Harrison pointed no fingers, at least not specifically, in the direction of any individuals.

"They came out there and did what they had to do," Harrison said of the Texans, who beat the Steelers, 17-10, to drop them into a three-way tie for second with Cleveland and Cincinnati in the AFC North at 2-2.

"They executed, they got us up out of there, they opened up holes, they opened up gaps. We didn't do our job, and they did theirs. Give them all the credit.

"Each man needs to nut up, look at himself and get in there and take care of his responsibilities. Each play is 11 individuals; if one person doesn't get the job done, it looks bad for the whole squad."

And then the four-time All-Pro linebacker came to his conclusion that something needs to change because he never has seen anything like it in games that count.

"Worried? No," he said. "Concerned? Yeah. We have to get things shored up. Whether that's changing this and changing that, I don't know, but we have to get something done because it's not working so far.

"I haven't seen it like this, maybe a preseason game here and there, but not like this the way it's going right now."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11277/11 ... z1Zmopwps5 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11277/1179589-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1Zmopwps5)

Pahn711
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Things need to change. Start different players. Call a different scheme. What we've been doing isn't working.

I like our chances since its a home game, will probably be the difference.

steelz09
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM

I like our chances since its a home game, will probably be the difference.

I will say that if our d-line cannot continuously consume 2 blockers like they're suppose to, we need to move to a 4-3 approach on every down. We have no business running a 3-4 if our d-line cannot consume the 2 blockers.... it'll take our LBers right out of the game which is already happening..

Oviedo
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM

I'll beat my favorite drum again. Not playing young players on the defense because you have an overly complex defense that takes a few season to get down is now coming home to roost. That approach almost leaves you no choice but to retain veterans past their peak performance dates.

Smith, Farrior, Foote, McFadden should not have been brought back. But we mistakenly went with comfort versus pushing the envelope and taking a chance on younger players. Thus far it has bitten us but the season is far from over and lets hope these veterans still have something left to give. I hope they start with some pride.

rockonsteel
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM

I'll beat my favorite drum again. Not playing young players on the defense because you have an overly complex defense that takes a few season to get down is now coming home to roost. That approach almost leaves you no choice but to retain veterans past their peak performance dates.

Smith, Farrior, Foote, McFadden should not have been brought back. But we mistakenly went with comfort versus pushing the envelope and taking a chance on younger players. Thus far it has bitten us but the season is far from over and lets hope these veterans still have something left to give. I hope they start with some pride.

This is so on the money! I couldn't agree more. They retard the development of the younger guys and even end up cutting some decent players to keep older "veterans" just because they know the system. It's almost like now that they've gained that reputation, they go out of their way to live up to it. I still say this is a direct result of them coming so close last year, and coaches and mngmt really felt like they didn't need to make any moves(except cutting Flo and Max), and this team would pick up right where they left off. Big mistake. This team is getting long in the tooth quick, and a lot of people seem to be in denial.

Rockon

ikestops85
10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Heeeeeeres Ovi

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1890/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1890-6922.jpg

:lol: