PDA

View Full Version : Ben is not consistant enough

California-Steel
10-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I know we have O lines issues but even when Ben has time to throw it seems that his passes are off an he is not consistant with his accuracy.

I also noticed that our receivers are not use to being HOT on blitzes and it seems that they know Ben will not hit them quick so they don't look for the HOTs or quick hits. I saw Ben try to hit the HOTs today but each time they were not looking.

We need a new offensive coordinator to work witht this offense and build a rhythm type passing attack. We don't have it and we look really out of sync when we try to do it. Ben's passes are either way out in front or way behind when we try to do a 3 step drop type pass.

chiken
10-03-2011, 12:12 AM
kinda hard to start off with "I know the offensive line is a problem" and then follow that up with Ben is off.

This line is just bad - Even Pouncy was getting taken to the Shed today... Saddest part was when we established the run it was cool for a drive but the second we had to drop back to pass it was over.

Today they were beating up the Rookie, Essucks and even straight up the middle.. Teams do not have to blitz us anymore.

You cannot QB behind that garbage. There were 2 plays when the whole freaking pocket got rolled up into Ben..

you can not be consistent behind that line.

steelz09
10-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Arians is a big problem as well. He is so stubborn that he continues to call slow developing plays even though the o-line is terrible.

I think Albert Einstein's definition of insanity perfectly describes Arian's play calling ability:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Djfan
10-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Arians is a big problem as well. He is so stubborn that he continues to call slow developing plays even though the o-line is terrible.

I think Albert Einstein's definition of insanity perfectly describes Arian's play calling ability:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Or that famous Linsay Lohan quote:

"What a stupid @#$Q$!!"

chiken
10-03-2011, 12:52 AM

I understand about Arians play calling but think about it. Quick plays are hard for us because a) our Receivers are not getting open in 2 seconds b) they don't know when they are the hot route c) because teams do not have to blitz it takes a bit of time to Figure out who is Dropping and who is coming - as a matter of fact NOBODIES coming so he has to solve the riddle with everybody in the passing lane.

We don't have a Run game (with Mendy at least but umm, that seems to be a different issue) but the lack of a run game means the play action does not work..

Guys we just CANT run an offense behind this line because there is no line. our only hope this year has been with Ben doing something magical and that has been few and far between up to this point.

this is not about Arians at all. Until this line is fixed we are in a bunch of hot mess.

fordfixer
10-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Ben: I gotta make plays

By Mike Prisuta - WDVE

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 73df2d9e6d (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-I-gotta-make-plays/38e29b90-8933-4ff6-af9d-9f73df2d9e6d)

HOUSTON _ Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger limped out of Reliant Stadium, literally and figuratively, after absorbing a pounding from the Texans.

It remains to be seen if Roethlisberger will be able to limp onto Heinz Field’s playing surface this coming Sunday against Tennessee.

He had a walking boot applied to his left foot prior to meeting the media following the 17-10 loss suffered by the Steelers last Sunday. And he needed crutches to navigate the aisle upon boarding the team plane for the charter flight back to Pittsburgh.

Further souring his mood was the sting of “disappointment, obviously, from losing the game,” and “feeling like I could have done more.

“It was a little bit my fault that we didn’t play better,” Roethlisberger concluded.

His first pass, which wasn’t thrown until 3:10 remained in the first quarter, went for 22 yards to wide receiver Mike Wallace, but 15 of those came back after Wallace was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Roethlisberger’s last attempt, a desperation heave for wide receiver Antonio Brown with 19 seconds remaining, was intercepted by Texans cornerback Jason Allen at the Houston 11-yard line.

In between Roethlisberger was sacked five times, hurried a bunch of others, fallen upon late to produce his unspecified left foot injury, and spared the indignity of a sick-strip-fumble and a pick-six due to penalties assessed against the Texans that nullified both of those would-be turnovers.

Overall, Roethlisberger barely completed 50 percent of his passes (16-for-30) and emerged with a passer rating of 61.3.

It all boiled down to “just making plays, plays I didn’t make, plays I could have made,” Roethlisberger said. “We had a group of linemen, offensive guys who we were plugging around all over the place. I gotta step up and make plays, and I didn’t do it today.

“I gotta make plays, gotta make it easier on my guys and I didn’t do that.”

With Trai Essex replacing Jonathan Scott (ankle) at left tackle and Ramon Foster filling in for Doug Legursky (shoulder) at right guard the offense managed 296 total net yards and held the ball for 28:17.

Roethlisberger couldn’t say whether he would have to be replaced when Tennessee comes calling.

“You know me, if I can be out there I’m going to be out there,” he said. “If I have to cast it up – we saw I had to do that last year – if we have to do it I’ll do it.”

Roethlisberger said he thought the injury occurred on the Steelers’ second-to-last offensive possession when he was tackled from behind. The Texans had ample opportunities prior to that to inflict damage.

“They were very physical,” Roethlisberger said. “They got after me.”

As for the Steelers at 2-2, “I feel like we’re close,” Roethlisberger said. “I guess if there’s a time to be not quite right it’s now. It’s the first month of the season.

“We’ve been down this road enough times that we know it’s about when you get hot. If we can pull together, offense, defense, special teams, and get hot at the right time that’s all that matters.”

Shawn
10-03-2011, 07:07 AM
If you had been knocked on your backside as much as Ben you might have issues as well. We are spoiled. Ben is one the best QBs in the league, and is more accurate than not when he has adequate protection.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I know we have O lines issues but even when Ben has time to throw it seems that his passes are off an he is not consistant with his accuracy.

I also noticed that our receivers are not use to being HOT on blitzes and it seems that they know Ben will not hit them quick so they don't look for the HOTs or quick hits. I saw Ben try to hit the HOTs today but each time they were not looking.

We need a new offensive coordinator to work witht this offense and build a rhythm type passing attack. We don't have it and we look really out of sync when we try to do it. Ben's passes are either way out in front or way behind when we try to do a 3 step drop type pass.

Let me brings things into focus for you. I'm a big guy. Played OL/DL my entire "shortened" career. I'm 6' 320 right now. Here's what I want you to imagine. Stand in front of me and allow me to punch you in the face & stomach while you try to go through multiplication tables from 1-12. I don't care if you are equally as big as me...You would have trouble as soon as you got past 1 x 12. The guy that picked you up off the ground would have to tell you 2 x 1 was next. So for all of you who think that the offensive problems don't begin with the OL are really people who are standing behind the white lines. I'm not saying in light of the problems there could better play calling or decision making by BB & Mendy...But guys...The "source" of the problem is as obvious as the scorboard indicates.

To make matters even more gloomy, the front 7 on the other side of the ball are not any better. Well to be fair, Farrior & Smith are looking like overpaid rotation guys right now & Woodley & Harrison just aren't playing at the level the need to be. I expect Woodley & Harrison to get there...Sooner the better....But I don't think Farrior & Smith will ever get where they need to be. I think steps & reps should be made when Keisel returns to insert Hood into the starting role and have Smith spell him. Foote should be given every opportunity in practice as well as Sly to play with Timmons, Harrison, & Woodley. There has to be a better combination in the middle even if it is by committee. The torch needs to be passed. Instincts have now been trumped by lack of athleticism with Farrior and Smith just physically isn't the same player.

One comment to the positive, I think Lewis is very close to earning a chance to start. I just hope DL lets him and Ike play bump because that is what both are best at.

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
If you had been knocked on your backside as much as Ben you might have issues as well. We are spoiled. Ben is one the best QBs in the league, and is more accurate than not when he has adequate protection.

yada yada and yada....

I'm not trying to hear it. Ben gotta make plays is killing us this year. Ben gotta get rid of the football, Ben gotta protect the football, Ben and WR's gotta get on the same page.

This OL has sucked before and this is nothing new. Trying to throw deep with this OL won't work.

We can blame BA but Ben loves the guy so he is just as much to blame for this trainwreck on offense.

I'm telling you... put Batch in next game and watch the production improve. The ball has to come out fast.

SidSmythe
10-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Come on, lets get serious.

Nothing wrong with Ben's game except for his protection. How many times has he been flushed out of the pocket to have to look over his shoulder??

Pretty hard to play QB when half of your attention is focused on ur protection.

NJ-STEELER
10-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Well said

BURGH86STEEL
10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Ben's inconsistency is nothing new. The Oline having to deal with injuries and losses are nothing new. Other teams have Oline issues also. Steelers issues on the Oline are mostly a result of losses and injuries. Bad timing and not having much salary capp space may have hurt any chance they had to bring in FA olinemen.

What is new is teams inability to run on the Steelers. It's been evident over the years that if this defense doesn't play well this team doesn't make the playoffs. Ben's inconsistent style of play hasn't been able to carry this team. At this point, it is what it is.

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 09:32 AM
True.. if our D isn't playing lights out we struggle...

The OL issues aren't new though... I don't think Ben can be excused for his play. Mendy as well...

We put Redman and Moore in and they rip off nice runs.... we aren't taking what is available right now. We are still trying to get the big play and it's killing us.

steelblood
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Ben is a gamer. He is not THE problem. But, he has not played exceptionally well either. He missed an open Brown for a TD, underthrew Wallace when he got behind the safety, etc. etc. Still, Ben also made some brilliant throws. We actually had a chance to tie that game up after we played an abysmal first half. I think the right side of the line can and will continue to improve given more reps together. The left side is a total mess and beyond salvaging.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Essex made J Scott look like a starting LT. I think that all sums it up right there.

I'm sure there will be a meeting in the FO over the next two days with the coaches & Colbert. Given the sutuation, you aren't gonna bring in a guy off the street who will help you right away on the OL....Except the two siting out there who played here last year. Might not even be financially a possibility...But I'm sure they are talking about it & all options. There has to be concern from the top after seeing what the Colts did & now the Texans. We don't know what the discussions were leading up to now....But I'm sure someone had to say either we can't bring anyone in or someone said we can continue with what we have. I would love to know which was said. I have seen enough out of Gilbert and know what Adams could give you (if in shape) to know that with Colon down the best combination at OT would be Gilbert at LT and Adams at RT. Gilbert is a rookie but he is clearly the better fit over Scott & Essex. So that being said, I would lean to it being financially not possible as the reasoning not to bring Adams back. But when your season and franchise player seems to be on the verge of being lost...Is there ANYTHING left to do to protect your investment and save the season? We will see.

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Ben is a gamer. He is not THE problem. But, he has not played exceptionally well either. He missed an open Brown for a TD, underthrew Wallace when he got behind the safety, etc. etc. Still, Ben also made some brilliant throws. We actually had a chance to tie that game up after we played an abysmal first half. I think the right side of the line can and will continue to improve given more reps together. The left side is a total mess and beyond salvaging.

Ben is a very good QB so I expect him to make brilliant throws...

Ben loves Arians and defends him to the death, he does the same thing with this OL... if he is going to vouch for this OL he has to play good behind them. This isn't new, we have seen bad OL's before and we have seen Ben play well behind them.

Tight now Ben and BA are seeing something different than the rest of us because we are still trying those long developing plays and Redman is running well behind this OL.

pick6
10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Ben is not nor has he ever been an accurate passer. Someone could be streaking wide open down field, he could over throw, under throw, or put it on the numbers. Yes the oline is horrible and the way the Houston defense was ravaging us, I can tell that they entered the game with great confidence. Both sides have some truth but we have won with Ben being Ben, the problem is that Ben doesn't think that he needs to get better. He has 2 superbowl rings. Before going 15-1 as a rookie ( I know this is football not baseball, but bare with me) the knock on him coming out of college was that it takes him too long to get rid of the ball and that over time he would get better at this. But the guy never had to. He is so good at what he does that he has never worked on that part of his game.

Remember the infamous, "I only know one way to play coach". Forget about the accuracy part for now, he's good enough, but if he added the quick release to his arsenal he would be the best in the league, never mind the fact that Bradygirl and the flopping Manning would have never missed Wallace in the Superbowl. Wouldn't trade Ben for anything.

Ghost
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
[quote="California-Steel":2rzm5wc2]I know we have O lines issues but even when Ben has time to throw it seems that his passes are off an he is not consistant with his accuracy.

Let me brings things into focus for you. I'm a big guy. Played OL/DL my entire "shortened" career. I'm 6' 320 right now. Here's what I want you to imagine. Stand in front of me and allow me to punch you in the face & stomach while you try to go through multiplication tables from 1-12. I don't care if you are equally as big as me...You would have trouble as soon as you got past 1 x 12. The guy that picked you up off the ground would have to tell you 2 x 1 was next. So for all of you who think that the offensive problems don't begin with the OL are really people who are standing behind the white lines. I'm not saying in light of the problems there could better play calling or decision making by BB & Mendy...But guys...The "source" of the problem is as obvious as the scorboard indicates.

To make matters even more gloomy, the front 7 on the other side of the ball are not any better. Well to be fair, Farrior & Smith are looking like overpaid rotation guys right now & Woodley & Harrison just aren't playing at the level the need to be. I expect Woodley & Harrison to get there...Sooner the better....But I don't think Farrior & Smith will ever get where they need to be. I think steps & reps should be made when Keisel returns to insert Hood into the starting role and have Smith spell him. Foote should be given every opportunity in practice as well as Sly to play with Timmons, Harrison, & Woodley. There has to be a better combination in the middle even if it is by committee. The torch needs to be passed. Instincts have now been trumped by lack of athleticism with Farrior and Smith just physically isn't the same player.

One comment to the positive, I think Lewis is very close to earning a chance to start. I just hope DL lets him and Ike play bump because that is what both are best at.[/quote:2rzm5wc2]

Settle down "Tiny".... :tt2

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Ben is not nor has he ever been an accurate passer. Someone could be streaking wide open down field, he could over throw, under throw, or put it on the numbers. Yes the oline is horrible and the way the Houston defense was ravaging us, I can tell that they entered the game with great confidence. Both sides have some truth but we have won with Ben being Ben, the problem is that Ben doesn't think that he needs to get better. He has 2 superbowl rings. Before going 15-1 as a rookie ( I know this is football not baseball, but bare with me) the knock on him coming out of college was that it takes him too long to get rid of the ball and that over time he would get better at this. But the guy never had to. He is so good at what he does that he has never worked on that part of his game.

Remember the infamous, "I only know one way to play coach". Forget about the accuracy part for now, he's good enough, but if he added the quick release to his arsenal he would be the best in the league, never mind the fact that Bradygirl and the flopping Manning would have never missed Wallace in the Superbowl. Wouldn't trade Ben for anything.

some good points but Brady and Manning miss WR's...

JAR
10-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Ben always says he needs to get better.... he just said it last week and again yesterday..

pick6
10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
feltdizz and JAR are both right but Manning and Brady miss far less especially with a man wide open going vertical downfield. and when ben says he's getting better he means getting better at being Ben not adding something new to his arsenal.

SteelTorch
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm getting really sick of all these "Blame Ben" threads lately. Yeah, Ben has not played well this season. But honestly, look at what he's had to work with: a porous O-line, a lack of a running game, and typical BA playcalling.

"But but but...Ben holds oooon too long! Ben's had a bad O-line before!!!"

Yeah, but never has it been this bad. The only time it's been close to this bad was in 2008, and it hurt Ben's performance too. And Ben, contrary to belief, is not Superman. He cannot carry the entire team by himself. Nor should he have to. It's not Ben's responsibility to compensate for how bad everyone else performs. Football is a team sport, everyone must do his part. Ben's not perfect, but he has does more than enough to help this team.

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm getting really sick of all these "Blame Ben" threads lately. Yeah, Ben has not played well this season. But honestly, look at what he's had to work with: a porous O-line, a lack of a running game, and typical BA playcalling.

"But but but...Ben holds oooon too long! Ben's had a bad O-line before!!!"

Yeah, but never has it been this bad. The only time it's been close to this bad was in 2008, and it hurt Ben's performance too. And Ben, contrary to belief, is not Superman. He cannot carry the entire team by himself. Nor should he have to. It's not Ben's responsibility to compensate for how bad everyone else performs. Football is a team sport, everyone must do his part. Ben's not perfect, but he has does more than enough to help this team.

I just wrote about the OL in 2008. Here is the thing though... Ben struggled and when Lefty came in the Washington game he marched us right down the field with the same OL.

Look at the running game with Mendenhall... it's horrible. Redman gets a touch and the running game gets going.

Ben is getting the blame because this is his OC, his offense and he has the majority of the TO's. Ben isn't playing and he deserves a lot of the blame.

Ben hasn't done more than enough this year to help this team. He is lousy at protecting the ball, acts like he has a good OL and he is missing on throws he usually makes.

It looks like he isn't practicing just like in 2008.

NorthCoast
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
While the OL is in a sorry state, it actually just accentuates Ben's biggest problem as a QB. What is that problem? I think Ben is not the best pre-snap reader of a defense. I am no expert, but they say that most defenses can be sorted out pre-snap based on formations and movements. Ben's game is downfield, after WRs have made their cuts or broken their routes. Because he now has only 1-2 sec in which to make a decision, he must rely on what the defense is showing PRIOR TO the snap. I don't think he is comfortable playing his game that way. Question is can he change? I am not sure, but if he does not, he will likely miss substantial time with this questionable OL.
(oh yes, the WRs also share responsibility here as well. They need to break off routes if they see a seige coming for Ben.)

steelz09
10-03-2011, 01:26 PM

yada yada and yada....

I'm not trying to hear it. Ben gotta make plays is killing us this year. Ben gotta get rid of the football, Ben gotta protect the football, Ben and WR's gotta get on the same page.

This OL has sucked before and this is nothing new. Trying to throw deep with this OL won't work.

We can blame BA but Ben loves the guy so he is just as much to blame for this trainwreck on offense.

I'm telling you... put Batch in next game and watch the production improve. The ball has to come out fast.

I'm trying to stay objective in my analysis and the way I see it is:

1) You have to give credit where credit is due and that is Ben is just a tough guy playing hurt and taking an absolute beating behind this OL.

2) Ben does NOT get a free pass. He is a vet on this offense. The ball HAS to come out quicker. A three step drop and he has to deliver the freakin' football. You have three incredible fast WRs in Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. They can get open in a short amount of time. I don't buy the fact that they can't. We should be running more quick slants, WR screens.... anything like that to get the ball out as quick as possible. If Arians can't figure out which plays I'm talking about, he just needs to watch a Patriots or Saints game. Miller & Ward should run 5-10 yard curls and sit in the zone. Dink and Dunk these teams 5 yards at a time if we have to.

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Ben is not an accurate passer? His career completion percentage is 12th all time in the history of the NFL. Better than Marino. Better than Elway. Better than Kelly, Moon, Aikman, Fouts, Bradshaw, Staubach, Unitas. He's two tenths of a percentage point behind Joe #&@%ing Montana. And Ben isn't exactly artificially inflating his completion percentage by throwing high-percentage short passes exclusively...Ben airs it out as if he were Slingin' Sammy Baugh out there, and he still has a high completion percentage. Just sayin'.

sd steel
10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I think alot of what ails the Steelers and Ben comes down to trying to be too reactive. I would like to see us break a huddle and run the one play that we called. The toe tapping and pointing to change routes and change blocking assignments and waiting until 02 seconds is left on the play clock is not accomplishing the goals of controlling the ball and moving the sticks. The plays where Redman was most successful yesterday were just a power sweep with Kemo pulling. Well next play in the progression should be play action power sweep. Calling plays is pretty simple, and even though the NFL QB's all seem to make a million decisions at the line of scrimmage the reality is we don't need to and all it does is make for confusion on our o line and with our receiver routes.

papillon
10-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Ben is not an accurate passer? His career completion percentage is 12th all time in the history of the NFL. Better than Marino. Better than Elway. Better than Kelly, Moon, Aikman, Fouts, Bradshaw, Staubach, Unitas. He's two tenths of a percentage point behind Joe #&@%ing Montana. And Ben isn't exactly artificially inflating his completion percentage by throwing high-percentage short passes exclusively...Ben airs it out as if he were Slingin' Sammy Baugh out there, and he still has a high completion percentage. Just sayin'.

I was going to post the same thing. Ben's career completion percentage is 63% with a career YPA of 8.0. That's a high percentage of completions on passes that don't necessarily carry a high percentage completion rate. You don't achieve those levels being inaccurate in any fashion.

Yet again, as poorly as they played the Steelers had a chance to tie the game and had they not wasted two TOs in the third quarter I have no doubt that Ben would have made it exciting at the end. 99 yards and no TOs is not a good situation, one TO could have eliminated the hail Mary with 15 secs to go and allowed a higher percentage play to be attempted.

Pappy

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Ben has accuracy stats but I think part of the reason is because he waits until WR's get open and he extends plays which make for open targets after running around like a mad man.I also think it's part of the reason he is getting killed...

I liked the back shoulder throws to Brown and think more quick throws like that would save a few hits.

If Ben throws more timing routes I think his accuracy would take more hits than he would.

On the radio they blamed everyone but they were honest IMO. The OL has always sucked so the scheme has to fit the product on the field. 3 step drops and the ball has to come out... they said Ben is relying too much on trying to make something happen on every play.

I have to agree.

Eich
10-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Ben has accuracy stats but I think part of the reason is because he waits until WR's get open and he extends plays which make for open targets after running around like a mad man.I also think it's part of the reason he is getting killed...

I liked the back shoulder throws to Brown and think more quick throws like that would save a few hits.

If Ben throws more timing routes I think his accuracy would take more hits than he would.

On the radio they blamed everyone but they were honest IMO. The OL has always sucked so the scheme has to fit the product on the field. 3 step drops and the ball has to come out... they said Ben is relying too much on trying to make something happen on every play.

I have to agree.

I have to agree somewhat. There was a play yesterday where Ben was running for his life. I think it was Spindenhall who was his outlet. Instead of dumping it off, Ben looked him off and then looked downfield for the big play and then he proceeded to get killed.

This is what Ben does. He's stubborn and refuses to take check downs or throw the ball away. It seems the only time you see Ben throw the ball away is when he's half way to the ground and he's looking for a receiver in the vicinity to avoid a grounding call.

For a few years, this was OK. Behind THIS O-Line, it's become disastrous, making Ben a turnover machine. Either Ben has to change or the O-Line has to improve. If neither happens, Ben and this offense are going to set a record for turnovers.

Dee Dub
10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
... I don't think Ben can be excused for his play.

So what is it you expect out of Ben right now? Seems as if you and some others have unrealistic expectations. If Ben is playing behind a poor offensive line, has little or no running game, and all but one of his receivers are having a hard time getting open and or regoconizing hot reads, what exactly do you expect of Ben?

And one last thing, with all the hits Ben is taking, I'd be willing to bet he is a lot more hurt and beat up than he is letting anyone know.

But I guess you are right, Ben can't be excused for his play. :roll:

BradshawsHairdresser
10-03-2011, 11:41 PM
... I don't think Ben can be excused for his play.

So what is it you expect out of Ben right now? Seems as if you and some others have unrealistic expectations. If Ben is playing behind a poor offensive line, has little or no running game, and all but one of his receivers are having a hard time getting open and or regoconizing hot reads, what exactly do you expect of Ben?

And one last thing, with all the hits Ben is taking, I'd be willing to bet he is a lot more hurt and beat up than he is letting anyone know.

But I guess you are right, Ben can't be excused for his play. :roll:

I'm not blaming it ALL on Ben. Other than a few players, it's been pretty much a team fail (and I'm including coaches and coordinators).

But neither can you ABSOLVE Ben of all the blame. You just can't. He's been sub-par when he's had his chances. Maybe he's distracted. Maybe skipping practices to take care of lawsuits has hurt his game. Whatever the reason, when you're making over $100 million, you just don't get a pass (no pun intended) when you don't play well.