PDA

View Full Version : What was the story with: the 2 timeouts and the missed FG?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Was at the game, and they don't analyze or replay things like on TV.

1) Why'd we take the 2 2nd half TOs so early? Actually, I think I remember the 1st one was OK ... but why the 2nd one?

2) How did we get the FG blocked ... missed assignment? Somebody steamrolled?

Thanks -

papillon
10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
For me personally if I was coaching the team and it's early in the third quarter and I have play called, but the play clock is running down and I can't get it off, I take the 5 yards and save the timeout. Ben has shown he's capable of making up 5 yards in the passing game. If the Steelers would have had 3 timeouts at the end Ben may have had over 2 minutes on the last drive instead of 1 and 5 or 6 seconds.

Now, in the 4th quarter and the play clock is running down, I take the timeout and save the yards, but not early in the 3rd. The timeouts are more valuable than yards in the 3rd quarter.

Pappy

Flasteel
10-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Was at the game, and they don't analyze or replay things like on TV.

1) Why'd we take the 2 2nd half TOs so early? Actually, I think I remember the 1st one was OK ... but why the 2nd one?

2) How did we get the FG blocked ... missed assignment? Somebody steamrolled?

Thanks -

I was miffed at both of those time outs and was screaming some not so nice things at Tomlin. I was equally PO'd at the timeouts called at the end of the first half. We were in the no-huddle for the first time and we killed our own momentum.

Tomlin continues to have some serious issues with using timeouts.

The blocked FG was a missed assignment by the LG or LT...the guy got skinny and knifed right through.

NJ-STEELER
10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
$$

pap

take the 4 unless its a crucial 3rd down.

1st half...use them at will

JTP53609
10-02-2011, 10:06 PM
timeouts and challenges are the steelers two biggest problems.....
and stopping the run, the pass, play calling, kicking, and finding an offensive identity....other than that we are an elite team

Djfan
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
timeouts and challenges are the steelers two biggest problems.....
and stopping the run, the pass, play calling, kicking, and finding an offensive identity....other than that we are an elite team

This team is coached to be that type of elite team.