PDA

View Full Version : Switch Troy to CB

Herewegosteelers!
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
It worked for the Steelers in '95-'96 when Carnell Lake did it. It was one of the catalysts in turning that team around when he took Woodson's spot. Use the CB blitz more, Troy can probably cover better than any CB they have besides Ike. (Who would take Troy's spot...I know) I'm only half kidding but would Troy be able do the same job that Lake did back then?

NJ-STEELER
10-02-2011, 08:28 PM
clarkand mundy as the starting safties?

no thanks

Steelhere10
10-02-2011, 08:34 PM
:wft thats the least of our problems. Do we have a time machine

Herewegosteelers!
10-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Like I said dude, half kidding...

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Ah, the good ol days when all we could complain about was McFadden and Gay.

Iron Shiek
10-02-2011, 09:12 PM

and mahan

Shoe
10-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Haha... yes, those were the days. My hope is that these guys are still playing their way into shape. I did notice that the normally trim-looking Smith did had something of a front porch jiggling. The bye can come soon enough.

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM

The bye can come soon enough.

Unfortunately we don't get one of those until Week 11.

LouSteel
10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
and mahan

Sean Mahan's currently a FA. Think he can play tackle?

/onlyhalfjoking

Notleadpoisoned
10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Steelers defense is still ranked #1 against the pass so why make changes?

steelblood
10-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Please step away from your keyboard. Half-joking means half-serious, right? Your half-serious side is nutty nut bars. :D

RussBII
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM

I saw this stat too...

I think it's only because it's so easy to run on the defense so teams aren't passing...

DkBlue
10-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Teams are taking what the Steeler defense is giving them and they are giving up the run.

Shoe
10-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I doubt any other team has faced Tarvaris Jackson and Kerry Collins back to back.

steeler_george
10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Why make the shift when are the #1 d against the pass? :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Lake was able to move from SS to CB successfully once upon a time when Woodson was hurt? Move Troy there now!

Faneca was able to move from LG to LT successfully once upon a time when Marvel was hurt? Move Kemo there now!

:lol:

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I know we are half kidding, but Troy is too darn explosive and versatile on the field to be moved to a CB position where he would be tied up with only a few responsibilities.

Carnell Lake was good but he didn't have quite the range and closing speed Troy has. Carnell was also helped by a defense that BLITZED so much more which helped coverage immensely.

Shoe
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Carnell Lake's closing speed did not take a backseat to Polamalu. I watched him through college (UCLA), and he was as explosive an athlete as you can pretty much get. And his conversion that year was probably the most unbelievably seamless in team history (Faneca's play at LT was #2). IMO, the main differences between Lake and Polamalu are on-the-field instincts (edge Polamalu), and hands (Lake didn't have bad hands by any means, but Troy has very good hands) for the INT.

skyhawk
10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Carnell Lake's closing speed did not take a backseat to Polamalu. I watched him through college (UCLA), and he was as explosive an athlete as you can pretty much get. And his conversion that year was probably the most unbelievably seamless in team history (Faneca's play at LT was #2). IMO, the main differences between Lake and Polamalu are on-the-field instincts (edge Polamalu), and hands (Lake didn't have bad hands by any means, but Troy has very good hands) for the INT.

No way Carnell had the closing speed of a Polamalu. But perhaps relatively speaking for the time he played.

Lake was an exceptional athlete. He played half his career at UCLA at linebacker.

Herewegosteelers!
10-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Like I said half kidding.....Should have changed it to most kidding...lol. :oops: Now I know why I don't post too often...