PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wearing a Boot

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Steelers' Roethlisberger has X-rays on foot 10/02/2011 5:13 PM By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 2, 2011
HOUSTON Ben Roethlisberger had X-ray taken on his left foot and the Steelers quarterback said he doesn't know if he will be able to play next Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans.

Roethlisberger said he hurt his foot late in the Steelers' 17-10 loss to the Houston Texans today but added that it did not happen on the final series when he got hit in the lower leg, drawing a personal foul penalty.

Roethlisberger, the last one out of a subdued Steelers locker room, is on crutches and has his left foot in a boot. It is not the same foot that he sustained a stress fracture in last season.

?If I can be out there I'm going to be out there,? Roethlisberger said after the Steelers dropped to 2-2. ?If I have to cast it up, we saw I had to do that last year, I cast up my foot for the last half of the year. If we have to do it, I'll do it.?

Shawn
10-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm surprised it took this long. I know the Steelers know more than the average fan and all but even joe blow in the stands knows you protect your 100 million dollar QB. Essex at LT is a crime against humanity. You bring the Hotel out of retirement and put him at LT...pay the man his money or watch Ben get broke.

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 06:27 PM
MRI tomorrow according to the NFL Network.

Steveo
10-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Looks like Dixon will get another shot, because with this O-Line Batch will be lucky to last a quarter.

pittpete
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Keep praising your O-line Benny....
You should be publically ripping them apart.
What could they do, stop blocking? :roll:

Shoe
10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm surprised it took this long. I know the Steelers know more than the average fan and all but even joe blow in the stands knows you protect your 100 million dollar QB. Essex at LT is a crime against humanity. You bring the Hotel out of retirement and put him at LT...pay the man his money or watch Ben get broke.

Seriously, is money the issue with Flozell?

He was better than anyone we currently have last year.

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Yes

DukieBoy
10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Keep praising your O-line Benny....
You should be publically ripping them apart.
What could they do, stop blocking? :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :Cheers

Ghost
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
We think we've seen inept? Good golly molly..... Batch or Dixon behind this line will be 4 quarters of train wreck. And so far this year the D's done nothing to indicate they will or even can bail the team out.

Herewegosteelers!
10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
It's pretty sad when the Steelers used to send two or three offensive lineman to the pro-bowl every season and the last few seasons, one can barely make it...

Shawn
10-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Yup. The Hotel is willing to come out of retirement if the Steelers show him the money. Can we afford not to pay him?

Djfan
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
IIRC it's a salary issue AND a cap issue. So, how do we get under the cap and get Hotel in?

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Yup. The Hotel is willing to come out of retirement if the Steelers show him the money. Can we afford not to pay him?

We signed him to a 2 year, $7.5 million contract last year ($2.5 million for 2010 and $5 million for 2011, none of which was guaranteed). He thought he was worth being kept around for $5 million this year at age 36, and the front office didn't, so he was cut loose. I imagine he won't come back for less than that $5 million, and we do not currently have $5 million worth of cap room to fit him in.

DukieBoy
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM

We signed him to a 2 year, $7.5 million contract last year ($2.5 million for 2010 and $5 million for 2011, none of which was guaranteed). He thought he was worth being kept around for $5 million this year at age 36, and the front office didn't, so he was cut loose. I imagine he won't come back for less than that $5 million, and we do not currently have $5 million worth of cap room to fit him in.

Being factual and rational is going to irritate alot of people, Ruthless. :wink:

Ghost
10-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I think most of the Adams talk comes from residual anger about the team thinking they were perfetly fine with the junk they had and not recognizing a need before the season started when there was still time to do some cap finagling and find him the $$. A. Smith admited he would have restructured had they just asked. There are a couple of players that could have been cut to make a little room. The Steelers are known as being good at capology; they just failed to understand their o-line situation.

DukieBoy
10-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I think most of the Adams talk comes from residual anger about the team thinking they were perfetly fine with the junk they had and not recognizing a need before the season started when there was still time to do some cap finagling and find him the $$. A. Smith admited he would have restructured had they just asked. There are a couple of players that could have been cut to make a little room. The Steelers are known as being good at capology; they just failed to understand their o-line situation.

Being factual and rational ... Ghost. Right on, too.

Djfan
10-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Coaching?

Starlifter
10-02-2011, 10:42 PM
hey o-line - who's laughing now???

every opponent........ :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Jooser
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
The OL has been in decline since Super Bowl XL. We've spent too many draft picks on skill players and line backers. The Texans are putting it together and so are the Lions. HOW? They finally figured out you quit wasting ALL your high level picks on only skill position players and you build from the line up. The Pats too have a very good line, Brady rarely takes a big shot and he has second rate RB's and WR's (except Moss). Ben is being obliterated before our very eyes. The wheels have come off the cart, it's time to go back to basics folks. It all starts up front.

DukieBoy
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
The OL has been in decline since Super Bowl XL. We've spent too many draft picks on skill players and line backers. The Texans are putting it together and so are the Lions. HOW? They finally figured out you quit wasting ALL your high level picks on only skill position players and you build from the line up. The Pats too have a very good line, Brady rarely takes a big shot and he has second rate RB's and WR's (except Moss). Ben is being obliterated before our very eyes. The wheels have come off the cart, it's time to go back to basics folks. It all starts up front.

We need a Bill Murray "That's a Fact, Jack" emoticon.

unionsteeler
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM
He is playing like the boots are on his hands !!!!

sOrry couldn't resist ! :Binky

unionsteeler
10-02-2011, 11:08 PM

Welker is hardly second rate...just sayin. And Moss is out of the league.

Djfan
10-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Welker is great, but Marsha made him that way.

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2011, 11:54 PM

We need a Bill Murray "That's a Fact, Jack" emoticon.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CMbmKLtFhFY/S-mCaxmXHRI/AAAAAAAABLw/bBCHrhTGADs/s1600/thatsafactjackmag.jpg

Jooser
10-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Exactly DJ, and Marsha made him great because he has ALL DAY to throw to him, and a coach smart enough to scheme to Welker's strengths. Moss was only there a few years, but the Pats are consistently contenders every year, it's just good solid fundamental football by their OL.

Djfan
10-03-2011, 12:05 AM

Exactly DJ, and Marsha made him great because he has ALL DAY to throw to him, and a coach smart enough to scheme to Welker's strengths. Moss was only there a few years, but the Pats are consistently contenders every year, it's just good solid fundamental football by their OL.

Yup. BA has no idea what this is about, and Tomlin seems to have forgotten.

BA wouldn't be water boy on that squad.

unionsteeler
10-03-2011, 01:06 AM

So what would Wallace be with Brady or Manning... maybe 2o Tds and 1500 yards ...probably. Those "elite Qbs " make everyone around them better...Ben does not have that ability....never did never will .

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Steelers' Roethlisberger might miss Tennessee game

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 3, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1334024/38072172E.jpg

HOUSTON The last player out of the visiting locker room late Sunday afternoon at Reliant Stadium was the Steelers' most important one.

And it didn't bode well that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger limped to the shower after a 17-10 loss to the Houston Texans, limped back to his locker, had crutches dropped off to him and answered questions with his left foot in a walking boot.

Roethlisberger, who was scheduled to have an MRI on the foot, said he doesn't know if he will play Sunday against the visiting Tennessee Titans.

The good news for the Steelers on a day that produced little of it: Roethlisberger did not re-injure the foot in which he sustained a stress fracture last season, and he said he is willing to play through pain as the Steelers try to ease their own.

"If I can be out there, I'm going to be out there," Roethlisberger said after completing 16 of 30 passes for 206 yards and one interception. "If I have to cast it up we saw I had to do that last year I cast up my foot for the last half of the year. If we have to do it, I'll do it."

Roethlisberger said he hurt his foot near the end of the game but that it didn't happen on the final drive when outside linebacker J.J. Watt hit him in the lower leg and drew a roughing-the-passer penalty that wiped out a Texans interception.

Roethlisberger said he hurt his foot on the Steelers' second to last series of the game.

Playing behind a patchwork offensive line the Steelers were missing left tackle Jonathan Scott (knee) and right guard Doug Legursky (shoulder) Roethlisberger took a beating.

The Texans sacked him five times six if you count a Connor Barwin takedown that resulted in a lost fumble in the first quarter but was nullified by an illegal-contact penalty.

Roethlisberger, however, took the blame for the loss and said he needed to play better for his linemen, not vice versa.

"I wanted to step up and make plays, and I didn't do that today," Roethlisberger said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ZgVs68VA (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_759870.html#ixzz1ZgVs68VA)

Shawn
10-03-2011, 07:26 AM
IIRC it's a salary issue AND a cap issue. So, how do we get under the cap and get Hotel in?

We could have before the start of the season. I would have started by cutting Smith, Ward and Farrior.

feltdizz
10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Marsha doesn't have all day to throw because the OL is great... it's because he gets it out so fast teams aren't trying to blitz him. Teams are tired by the end of the first qtr when they play the Pats.

The last 2 playoffs the OL was dominated when teams brought pressure.

Trust me, if Batch plays next week the OL will look better. If Redman starts next week the OL will look better. Our QB and RB aren't realistic about the OL they play behind and it's killing our team. The ball has to come out fast, the hole has to be hit fast...

Djfan
10-03-2011, 09:37 AM

We could have before the start of the season. I would have started by cutting Smith, Ward and Farrior.

Smith? Yes. Foote? Yes. Farrior? Maybe. Ward? Absolutely not.

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Smith (35), Ward (35), and Farrior (36) are all old and disposable. We should have cut them all in order to bring back the young savior of our OL, Flozell Adams (36). :roll:

unionsteeler
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Marsha doesn't have all day to throw because the OL is great... it's because he gets it out so fast teams aren't trying to blitz him. Teams are tired by the end of the first qtr when they play the Pats.

The last 2 playoffs the OL was dominated when teams brought pressure.

Trust me, if Batch plays next week the OL will look better. If Redman starts next week the OL will look better. Our QB and RB aren't realistic about the OL they play behind and it's killing our team. The ball has to come out fast, the hole has to be hit fast...

I agree 100% ...but if Batcch plays Mendy will have room to run.

fordfixer
10-04-2011, 01:38 AM
These boots are made for limping

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... f0d7a.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/these-boots-are-made-for-limping/article_b4b2e335-ed33-547c-b678-e94b234f0d7a.html)

Charlie Batch could replace an injured Ben Roethlisberger next week against the Tennessee Titans.

Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 8:46 pm

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments

PITTSBURGH -- Protective boots have suddenly become fashionable with the Steelers.

On Monday, running back Mewelde Moore was seen at team headquarters with his left foot in a boot. He was injured at some point in Sunday's 17-10 loss in Houston.

Immediately after the game, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and defensive end Aaron Smith also wore boots. Roethlisberger suffered a sprained left ankle late in the fourth quarter. Smith suffered an injury to his right foot at some point during the game.

Today, coach Mike Tomlin will address the injuries to Moore, Roethlisberger and Smith as well as a host of other Steelers who were banged up at Reliant Stadium.

That list includes running back Rashard Mendenhall (hamstring), linebacker James Farrior (neck stinger) and linebacker Jason Worilds (quad).

Also, linebacker James Harrison experienced some eye discomfort after a collision with a Houston offensive lineman. He left the game but returned later.

Tomlin said after the game that Harrison would undergo precautionary tests. Harrison, though, is expected to play Sunday against Tennessee.

"He had a little double vision," Tomlin said. "Once that cleared, he was able to come back into the game."

"I don't have a concussion," Harrison said on his Twitter account. "My forehead pad in my helmet came down and hit me in the eye when I made contact with the tackle."

The Steelers played in Houston without three starters: defensive end Brett Keisel (knee), left tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle) and right guard Doug Legursky (shoulder).

"That's all over the league," cornerback William Gay said Monday after team meetings when asked about the Steelers' growing injury list. "There's never going to be a season where you're injury-free, so you can't really worry about that. You've just got to press on, and that's why you've got 53 guys on the roster.

"You just can't cry about it. So, we're not worried about that, because we've got 53 guys that are capable. So, we're going to go out there and get back to work on Wednesday.

"The standard is the standard around here, so we're just going to keep working hard. And that's all we can do. You can't worry about injuries or anything else that you can't control. We've just got to worry about things we can control, and that's practice on the field."

During his post-game press conference, Tomlin didn't rule out making some roster moves due to all the injuries.

"We'll rally and see who we have coming back," he said. "We'll look at the men who played in this game and make those decisions at the appropriate time, which is moving into next week."

After the game, Roethlisberger said he'd try his best to be ready to play against the Titans (3-1). It's a big game for the 2-2 Steelers, who are already 1-2 in AFC games.

"I guess if there's a time to be not quite right, it's now. It's the first month of the season," Roethlisberger said. "We've been down this road enough times that we know it's about when you get hot. If we can pull together -- offense, defense, special teams -- and get hot at the right time, that's all that matters."

RuthlessBurgher
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
"I don't have a concussion," Harrison said on his Twitter account. "My forehead pad in my helmet came down and hit me in the eye when I made contact with the tackle."

And...BAM!!!...broken orbital bone. Just like that.

Players today wear their helmets too loose. You see them flying off all the time. That shouldn't happen. The fit should be very snug to prevent concussions and other injuries (such as your forehead pad coming down to hit you in the eye and break your orbital bone). When I played, I had to grab my helmet by the earholes and pull outward in order to get the thing on and off without ripping my ears off in the process. Nowadays, these guys take off their helmet as if it were a ball cap. The equipment manager should realize that this is not a good fit. For the safety of the players, the equipment manager should mandate a proper helmet fit.

steelblood
10-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Also, the guy who glues in the forehead pads should be fired.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 12:17 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201110/lf01steelers1006_500.jpg

Here is Ben practicing in shorts with his protective boot on. It looks like he borrowed one of Tom Brady's Uggs. :P

unionsteeler
10-06-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201110/lf01steelers1006_500.jpg

Here is Ben practicing in shorts with his protective boot on. It looks like he borrowed one of Tom Brady's Uggs. :P

Looks more like a double chinned fat lady carrying Brady's unborn child to me.... with spaghetti arms to boot !

fordfixer
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Roethlisberger practices, Mendenhall sits

October, 6, 2011
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... nhall-sits (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/32918/roethlisberger-practices-mendenhall-sits)

By Jamison Hensley

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looks like he is on target to start Sunday after returning for a full practice Thursday. But the same can't be said for running back Rashard Mendenhall, who missed his second straight practice.

Mendenhall, who injured his hamstring last Sunday, would likely be replaced by Isaac Redman. This would mark the first NFL start for Redman, who has averaged 4.9 yards on 22 carries this season.

Roethlisberger practiced with a protective boot and plans to wear specialized footwear to stabilize his sprained left foot. Roethlisberger has made 19 straight starts.

"I have dealt with pain before," Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh reporters Wednesday. "I have played through broken bones and if it is a pain issue, I can play through it. I'll be fine."

Other Steelers starters who didn't practice: nose tackle Casey Hampton (shoulder), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (knee) and defensive end Aaron Smith.