PDA

View Full Version : Game Balls: Week 4 awful offense edition

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Hard to single out any good performances after a day like today. Just an all-around poor performance.

OFFENSE:

NOBODY. That's right, nobody. The O-line was downright pitiful. This is easily perhaps the worst they've been in the Tomlin era. The wide receivers were off the mark, our running backs couldn't get anything going, and even Ben looked bad at times. His turnovers have got to stop. The only one who looked remotely good today was Redman, and we barely saw him. :x

DEFENSE:

Again, Troy P. Had some very nice tackles, even if no splash plays. Where are Harrison and Woodley? Neither has been much of a factor this season.

Lame balls go to the entire offense, ESPECIALLY the O-line. Thank you, Colbert and crew, for letting the O-line deteriorate to this condition. You ignored it for so long, and now we're paying for it. Another lame ball goes to the D-line. Rarely have I seen them gashed in the running game so badly as today. It's official, this team has major problems controlling the LoS on both sides. I'm not predicting the end of the season already, but we have GOT to fix these problems if we want to go anywhere! :HeadBanger

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
antonio brown was the sole bright spot for the offense. maybe you missed him.

the oline played ok for this oline.

this one is on lebeau and the D.

Dee Dub
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM

:shock:

:shock: :shock:

So Eddie , my thoughts on LeBeau and how he is running this defense arent so far off after all, huh?

Count the number of times he brings more than 4 pass rusher after the QB. It is astounding. Yet the other teams brings 5 and 6 with regularity after Ben.

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
antonio brown was the sole bright spot for the offense. maybe you missed him.

Couldn't disagree more. What line were you watching?? Ben was hit all day and our ground game was practically nonexistant! :shock:

D did not look good at all today. YET, even without stopping the run, they held the Texans' offense to 17 points. Offense had a chance to come back and didn't. Offense easily takes at least equal blame for this loss.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:06 PM
oline got enough done in the 2nd half. opened some nice holes for redman. ben played terrible and missed several thows. enough of the excuse making for him.

we all know the o-line sucks, but its time for ben to play better.

anyone who says "17 points" didn't watch the same game i did. they were abused all day long. 19 plays, 115 yards, 10:55 seconds.

end of discussion.

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 06:13 PM
oline got enough done in the 2nd half. opened some nice holes for redman. ben played terrible and missed several thows. enough of the excuse making for him.

we all know the o-line sucks, but its time for ben to play better.

anyone who says "17 points" didn't watch the same game i did. they were abused all day long. 19 plays, 115 yards, 10:55 seconds.

end of discussion.
Not buying it. At the end of the day, the ToP was 28:17 for the Steelers and 31:43 for the Texans. Not enough of a differential to be the deciding factor. End of discussion.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
it's the run defense professor.

that and zero sacks and 1 turnover for the year.

but yeah, lets blame the 0-line.

thats it.

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
it's the run defense professor.

that and zero sacks and 1 turnover for the year.

but yeah, lets blame the 0-line.

thats it.
Doesn't matter. ToP was still enough for us to overcome it. And I repeat, 17 points! Oh, and Ben was hit all day and sacked 5 times. Sure, our O-line isn't a problem. :roll:

We could argue about this all day. Bottom line is, we have problems controlling the LoS on BOTH sides of the ball.

Dee Dub
10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
we all know the o-line sucks,

How can one make that statement and then say....

but its time for ben to play better.

That makes no sense.

Ben's performance is directly linked to an offenseive who plays in front of him. Who's job it is to protect him and give him ample time to throw the ball. They arent doing that. In fact they arent even blocking in the run game to help take some pressure off of Ben. In your own workds the O-line sucks. That means they are horrible and yet you blame Ben and expect him to play better?

Again...that makes no sense.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
the o-line sucks, we all know this. i was more concerned with other aspects of the steelers performance, that's all.

this team has problems all over the place.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
deedub please.

ben has flat out sucked this year.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":15xq8ots]we all know the o-line sucks,

How can one make that statement and then say....

but its time for ben to play better.

That makes no sense.

Ben's performance is directly linked to an offenseive who plays in front of him. Who's job it is to protect him and give him ample time to throw the ball. They arent doing that. In fact they arent even blocking in the run game to help take some pressure off of Ben. In your own workds the O-line sucks. That means they are horrible and yet you blame Ben and expect him to play better?

Again...that makes no sense.[/quote:15xq8ots]

Don't agree, Dee Dub. Yes, the O-line sucks...but does that absolve Ben of all blame for his (at times) poor decisions, bad throws, and poor ball protection? I don't think so. Another poster put it like this: the blame for the offense is 30% on Ben, 30% O-line, and 40% Bruce Arians. I think I'd give Mendenhall a share of blame, too, but that would add up to over 100%, and I don't think you can mention this offense and 100% in the same sentence.

Leper Friend
10-02-2011, 06:43 PM
deedub please.

ben has flat out sucked this year.
Yes he has but I don't think you can say that's not a direct result of the o-line.We've seen him make plays on broken plays for so long we take it for granted.There is no other QB who could do anything with this bunch .Maybe Vick. Other than that , who ? Brady sucks under any pressure. Brees and Rogers would be broke after a game or 2. Maybe Rivers because of his quick release but for the most part nobody has this little to work with up front.

Every pass attempt looks like a broken play and that's not on Ben holding the ball too long.No other offense even closely resembles this mess.

You are right about plenty of blame though. I'm not buying this defense at all. The only reason they played ok in the second half is because therer was no Andre Johnson. This is 2 weeks in a row that the D needed a stop late and couldn't get it.Nobody in the secondary besides Troy has any ball skills , the front 3 look old and the LB's have been invisible except for Harrison in spots.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 06:43 PM
the o-line sucks, we all know this. i was more concerned with other aspects of the steelers performance, that's all.

this team has problems all over the place.
Hard to judge other aspects of the teams performance when the oline is as bad as it is. It stops there.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Hard to judge other aspects of the teams performance when the oline is as bad as it is. It stops there.

so it's the o-lines fault that the run defense sucks?

explain that to me please...

Dee Dub
10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Show me one Quarterback who plays well with a horrible offensive line......

Just one.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:49 PM
yep.

ben has played great football this season.

all hail.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM

so it's the o-lines fault that the run defense sucks?

explain that to me please...
I should have said on offense. The defense has just as many issues, IMO. The dline sucks as well.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
yep.

all hail.
He has made some poor throws, true. But seriously, do you think he has any chance with this oline? This is just a bad situation for any QB.

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
yep.

all hail.
Nobody's said he's played great football all season....

Ben hasn't played well, but he hasn't been horrible. Considering the state of the line and the running game, he's actually done some pretty damn impressive things at times to carry the offense. I'm not excusing when he actually has played poorly, but he's hardly the scape goat of this offense.

pittpete
10-02-2011, 06:56 PM
But seriously, do you think he has any chance with this oline? This is just a bad situation for any QB.

Especially one who refuses to check down or throw the ball away

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
don't forget him putting it on the ground again today.

luckily it was saved by a penalty.

i'm not making him the scapegoat, but he must play better. as well as the 0-line, but i am not giving him a pass. he has stunk this year.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 06:58 PM
But seriously, do you think he has any chance with this oline? This is just a bad situation for any QB.

Especially one who refuses to check down or throw the ball away
Many times he doesn't even have time to do that. This line is that bad. Worst I have seen it.

pittpete
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Many times he doesn't even have time to do that. This line is that bad. Worst I have seen it.

Agreed, but do you remember the play similiar to last weeks when Mathis caused the fumble?
Similiar play today and Ben looked at Redman, but refused to dump it off and took a sack.
He is just as stubborn as Arians in refusing to change knowing the O-line is that bad.
Bottom line,he is causing us to lose games with all the turnovers.

grotonsteel
10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Here is the thing i don't understand

Steelers offense is vertical offense.Fans know it. Ben loves it. BA has designed it and coaches/FO knows it.

Now why the hell would you not invest money in good pass blocking O-linemen if your offense will need 3-4 sec to throw the ball.

**** FO and Tomlin for spending money on Defense and neglecting O-line. FO treated offense like a step child. **** them.