PDA

View Full Version : Ben getting beat up again...thanks Colbert

MaxAMillion
10-02-2011, 03:52 PM
To Only get 10 points in today's NFL is just horrible. The OL is so bad it is almost beyond comprehension. I love how people blame Arians for trying to call plays behind an OL that is beyond bad. People should quit giving Kevin Colbert a pass.

Only three times in the 42 previous seasons since Noll’s hiring in 1969 did the Steelers not rank among the league’s top 18 rushing offenses, and two of those occurred in the last three years. That precipitous fall is due to a flawed drafting strategy by Steelers’ general manager Kevin Colbert that devalues and usually ignores offensive linemen in the early rounds.
The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century. Even worse, they went an entire decade (2001-2010) without drafting an offensive tackle prospect in the first two rounds, even though teams now have to draft tackles earlier than desired due to the emphasis placed on that position by seemingly every franchise but the Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
To Only get 10 points in today's NFL is just horrible.

when you hold a team like the Texans to only 17 points on the road you really should be able to win.

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
bad line = bad offense

grotonsteel
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM

when you hold a team like the Texans to only 17 points on the road you really should be able to win.

Not necessary. Texans won the TOP battle.When their RB runs for 155 yards on 30 carries its never good.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Not necessary. Texans won the TOP battle.When their RB runs for 155 yards on 30 carries its never good.

it's been a long time since I've seen other teams be able to run on a Steelers defense the way teams are running on us this season.

Djfan
10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
BA put in a RED HOT Redman, then took him out in the clutch time.

Great idea Brucie.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Run defense is awful. Texans stopped themselves with all the penalties. That said, the Steelers D did play better than I thought and had some crucial stops when we needed them.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
BTW, Woodley sucks and timmons is invisible. Not worth high round picks. or a new contract.

SteelBucks
10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
BTW, Woodley sucks and timmons is invisible. Not worth high round picks. or a new contract.

Woodley looks as bad as Farrior right now.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Spending all the picks and $ on defense and the players arent worth it. Bad picks can be blamed on Tomlin. Cowher was much better at evaluating defensive talent.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 04:46 PM
cowher wanted stacy andrews over ben roethlisberger too.

lets not get carried away here.

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 05:29 PM
cowher wanted stacy andrews over ben roethlisberger too.

lets not get carried away here.He wanted Rivers over Ben too. Cowher was wrong there.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Spending all the picks and $ on defense and the players arent worth it. Bad picks can be blamed on Tomlin. Cowher was much better at evaluating defensive talent.

let's not forget that it was Cowher who pushed to draft Alonzo Jackson...

Scarletfire1970
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM

let's not forget that it was Cowher who pushed to draft Alonzo Jackson...You are going to have bad picks here and there, but let me ask you this, who on the defensive side of the ball that Tomlin has picked has been worth it? I mean tomlin was supposed to be a defensive guy.

Eddie Spaghetti
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
ummm.

colbert is the one making the picks.

Shoe
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM

I hope you aren't insinuating that we held them to anything... they pretty much did what they wanted offensively.

Well, the front office ignored the O-line for a looong time, took the path of least resistance, and now we're paying for it. I'll go ahead and say it: this is the worst they've looked since Tomlin took over.

That statement appears to be true. Maybe not "ignore", but they had MISPLACED trust in the fat, lazy guys they had/have. I've said many times--O-line needs cohesion, and it's as much about attitude as anything else. We have lots of (fat) guys who have a strong complacency gene. You need guys who remain driven. It's fine to have a couple big fat guys to grade the road. But you need to mortar in between the bricks--you need active, bright, tough guys to go along.

Our line is full of big fatsos who's minds move like molasses (minus Pouncey).

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, the front office ignored the O-line for a looong time, took the path of least resistance, and now we're paying for it. I'll go ahead and say it: this is the worst they've looked since Tomlin took over.

No excuses. They are just flat-out bad. It's heartbreaking to look at all the talent we have elsewhere and see it go to waste because we cannot control the LoS to save our lives.

And yes, BA still sucks.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Well it might have went from bad to worse. Big Ben boarded the plane in a walking boot and has a MRI scheduled for Monday.

SteelTorch
10-02-2011, 06:08 PM

That statement appears to be true. Maybe not "ignore", but they had MISPLACED trust in the fat, lazy guys they had/have. I've said many times--O-line needs cohesion, and it's as much about attitude as anything else. We have lots of (fat) guys who have a strong complacency gene. You need guys who remain driven. It's fine to have a couple big fat guys to grade the road. But you need to mortar in between the bricks--you need active, bright, tough guys to go along.

Our line is full of big fatsos who's minds move like molasses (minus Pouncey).
You forgot bodies as slow as molasses. Being fat means nothing if you're too slow to block speedy rushers. I'm convinced it's not just motivation or "cohesion", we just have bad players minus maybe one or two. But one or two good players can't make up for three awful ones.