PDA

View Full Version : There! Are y'all happy?

Iron Shiek
10-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Haha...just giving all the doomsdayers a dig.

Plenty of problems that are continuing to be exposed, but the game is not over and we are only down 3. Their best player is hurt...its not over yet.

:tt2

Steelhere10
10-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Are you happy? If so your black n gold glasses is broke.

Iron Shiek
10-02-2011, 04:02 PM
well it looked like a surmountable deficit at the time...and no i'm not

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm very happy that the Steelers came out and played hard and showed some pride in the 2nd half, because the 1st half was pretty embarrassing.

Starlifter
10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
i'm not happy at all. this is a veteran team and they will always battle - but while the dropoff isn't as dramatic as some may think - the steelers are just a step slow in critical situations. the good news is we are not a complete rebuilding project. a couple of good lineman on both sides and a graceful replacement of potsy and I think we're back.

still, it's a long season and 2-2 isn't a horrible start - but it sure isn't a strong 2-2. we have some big issues to address.

Ghost
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm very happy that the Steelers came out and played hard and showed some pride in the 2nd half, because the 1st half was pretty embarrassing.

I thought when they got the ball at mid field with a ton of time to go down and tie it up; it was an embarrassing 4 plays. Horrendous.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2011, 04:45 PM

I thought when they got the ball at mid field with a ton of time to go down and tie it up; it was an embarrassing 4 plays. Horrendous.

were those the 4 best plays Arians has in his playbook for that situation? :wft

AngryAsian
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Our offensive output is very deceiving because the often high risk high reward nature, that's why we appear to progress down the field with a series, maybe two. But then the opposing defenses figure it out... that our OL is inept and inexperienced in some places. The bounced plays to the outside, one successful screen to Manny Sanders, and a handful of quick passes to our TE's. But then back to the ole reliable "Ben-seven step drop-with poor end blocking-so we'll take the sack.... love that play.

DukieBoy
10-02-2011, 06:10 PM
We lost by 7 to a pretty good team that will probably win their division, in their stadium, with a mediocre O-line made worse by several injuries. We held them to 17 points (though we got lucky on a couple penalties). We only scored 10, but there is potential for a better offense (big-IF the O line can solidify). We have a soft schedule ahead. I think we are going to get better. Some young bucks are getting playing experience and measuring up, and will get better. Liked Keenan Lewis' game today, and Heyward's game too. Want to see more from Woodley, and a bit more from Timmons. I don't see us as a top 8 team, but if we get hot at the right time we could carry into to playoffs. :2c

Pahn711
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM
We lost by 7 to a pretty good team that will probably win their division, in their stadium, with a mediocre O-line made worse by several injuries. We held them to 17 points (though we got lucky on a couple penalties). We only scored 10, but there is potential for a better offense (big-IF the O line can solidify). We have a soft schedule ahead. I think we are going to get better. Some young bucks are getting playing experience and measuring up, and will get better. Liked Keenan Lewis' game today, and Heyward's game too. Want to see more from Woodley, and a bit more from Timmons. I don't see us as a top 8 team, but if we get hot at the right time we could carry into to playoffs. :2c

:Agree Its still early enough that this game doesn't hurt as much as it could. Solidifying the o-line seems nearly impossible considering Tomlin's simplistic approach to the problem. Whats more telling to me is the run defense, nothing is more demoralizing than what Houston did on their final score of the game. Can either be fixed at this point?

Ghost
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Pahn and Dukie - I'm not her to get in an argument with you guys but would like to sincerely hear about what it is you've seen from these games that leads you to believe this team will dramatically improve and solidify as the season goes on? Can the performances in 3 out o 4 games be dramatically improved?

I want to see the glass as half full but I will admit I don't. I think they stuggle to beat a lot of teams we all had as "gimme" wins before the season started.

Pahn711
10-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Pahn and Dukie - I'm not her to get in an argument with you guys but would like to sincerely hear about what it is you've seen from these games that leads you to believe this team will dramatically improve and solidify as the season goes on? Can the performances in 3 out o 4 games be dramatically improved?

I want to see the glass as half full but I will admit I don't. I think they stuggle to beat a lot of teams we all had as "gimme" wins before the season started.

Neither of us really implied they are gonna dramatically improve to be a top team. But the defense has shown a few sparks of being the team it was last year, and the o-line did spring a few good running drives.

The two major areas of concern are the o and d lines. The offensive line can only get better once they play together more and get some continuity (unfortunately that assumes everyone stays healthy). The d line could improve from Keisel coming back, and Hood/Heyward replacing Smith. That gives me hope.

focosteeler
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
its hard for me to understand why we cant stop the run. and whats with all the broken tackles?? people are not happy with A. Smith but Ziggy isnt showing me anything special. Is the lack of contact in practice part of the problem all around?n

If i was Mendy i would be throwing my helmet at the ground, punching walls and more, its got to be so frustrating for him . the inability to get any push for a run or a decent pocket for a pass is the reason we cant do anything on O.

on a side note, maybe its just me but i think that there shouldve been a defenseless reciever penatly when that guy hit hines but again just my thought

Djfan
10-02-2011, 09:10 PM
its hard for me to understand why we cant stop the run. and whats with all the broken tackles?? people are not happy with A. Smith but Ziggy isnt showing me anything special. Is the lack of contact in practice part of the problem all around?n

If i was Mendy i would be throwing my helmet at the ground, punching walls and more, its got to be so frustrating for him . the inability to get any push for a run or a decent pocket for a pass is the reason we cant do anything on O.

on a side note, maybe its just me but i think that there shouldve been a defenseless reciever penatly when that guy hit hines but again just my thought

If I were Mendy I would feel stupid that Redman is getting GREAT yards, while I lose yards most of the time behind the same line.

I disagree on the Ward hit. Hard but legal.

rockonsteel
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM

Neither of us really implied they are gonna dramatically improve to be a top team. But the defense has shown a few sparks of being the team it was last year, and the o-line did spring a few good running drives.

The two major areas of concern are the o and d lines. The offensive line can only get better once they play together more and get some continuity (unfortunately that assumes everyone stays healthy). The d line could improve from Keisel coming back, and Hood/Heyward replacing Smith. That gives me hope.

Is that the defense that today recorded zero sacks and zero turnovers, and probably pretty close to that same amount of pressure? The same defense that has one turnover in 4 games?.....that's sixteen quarters. That defense? I'm not sure what signs you saw. Yeah they only gave up 17 pts., but they were getting pushed all over the field for the third time in four games. That doesn't sound like much of a spark to me. Actually, it's rather discouraging.

Rockon

Shoe
10-02-2011, 09:20 PM

No schematic analysis here, but the bottom line (as it relates to the run D) is that our front seven is getting stuck to blocks. I think that's attributed to how slow our guys are. You have to explode, be quick. Our guys are absorbing the blockers (which is the scheme, yes), but they aren't able to disengage. I think that's physical--getting quicker.

DukieBoy
10-02-2011, 09:49 PM

No problem, Ghost. It's a relevant and respectful question. I think there is alot of talent on this team that is not approaching its potential. I don't think they can play much worse, but I think there is a high ceiling to the talent. I think the Defense will improve; I have confidence that it will. Lebeau's adjustments in the 2nd half today worked fairly well, except in two critical plays. I like what I am seeing in the young players; they are deserving of more playing time, and some are getting it and playing well.

The weak link has been the MaginO-line. They've been racked with injuries and lack of stability as to who is playing where on the O line. Up until now, it's been chaos. But with some stability, I think they can play better together as a unit. Coaching, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, is a major concern. They look poorly coached on the offensive side of the ball. They are poorly coordinated as a unit. They look disorganized. Receivers are missing hot reads consistently. Play clock is consistently getting down to 2,1,0 before the snap. These are fixable items, I think. Playcalling is a concern that I think will continue, but we can execute far better (and not much worse) on offense anyway.

Injuries are the wild card, and we've had too many already in only 4 games. Getting back Keisel and Cotchery should help. Losing Ben, Troy, Pouncey, or James would be critical.

And, our schedule is fairly weak.

All just my opinion.