PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, NFL Draft, and other Stuff

Dee Dub
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
It is amazing how the Steelers are questioning what has happened to their run game and yet forget that they are without two dominate run blockers on their O-line from last year----Max Starks and Flozell Adams

Oh how I love the likes of Vontaze Burfict, Morris Claiborne, Alameda Ta' amu, and Dre Kirkpatrick. Yes, I realize the Steelers have no chance of getting get anyone of them.

That LB who played for the Colts (Pat Angerer), is a flat out tackling machine. Leading the NFL in tackles with 42. There's a lot to like about that guy.

A lack of pressure on the QB generally results in fewer turnovers created. This has been an issue for the Steelers defense.

I think when the Steelers get Antonio Brown more catches this will also make Mike Wallace even better and thus open up the offense more. Face it, he like Wallace is a game changer. These are the guys who should get the bulk of the touches.

Another year, another injury for Brett Keisel. 4 straight years with injuries.

Ike Taylor has been phenomenal this year. It is going to be interesting to see him go up against Andre Johnson this week.

Ok here is my first crack at a Steelers 2012 draft...

1-Cordy Glenn OG Georgia clearly the number 1 guard in this draft.
2-Donnie Fletcher CB Boston College
3-Shayne Skov ILB Stanford he's injured and may not declare but if he does good chance of getting great value
4-Baccari Rambo FS Georgia ball hawk FS who can cover and hit. He too may not declare.

My thought is that where the Steelers will be drafting there probably wont be a OT who rates higher than Glenn. And if you add Glenn inside next to Pouncey you talking about being able to handle the likes of the Haloti Ngata's of the world. Glenn, Pouncey, and Gilbert are three solid, young, O-linemen to build on.

Sugar
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Angerer was a beast in school too. I guess we can't have all the good LB's. :tt2

BigRob
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh how I love the likes of Vontaze Burfict, Morris Claiborne, Alameda Ta' amu, and Dre Kirkpatrick. Yes, I realize the Steelers have no chance of getting get anyone of them.

I don't know, there is a lot of football left this season. I could see this team as 11-5 or 7-9 easily.

Dee Dub
09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I want to add one more thing to this.....

UW quarterback Keith Price is the real deal. A little undersized but can make all the throws. Plays in a pro-style offense under Sarkisian and has thrived. 67% completion percentage and 14 TD's to 3 Int's.

This time next year he will be a huge focus of many scouts and experts.

steelblood
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
At this point, I'd say that Burflict and Ta'amu could last until the Steelers pick. Burflict is a tough, heat seeking missile. He is very effective around the LOS. But, I don't love him in space and in coverage. He runs really well in a straight line, but I want to see him break down better than he has so far this season. I like Cordy Glenn the athlete. He is a mountain and (for his size) moves very well. He could be dominant. The problem is that he (and the rest of the Georgia team for that matter) often play like they are asleep. I need to catch an Iowa State game and see their talented guard before I concede the top ranking to Glenn.

I like the following prospects for the STeelers.

FS Robert Lester, Alabama (He is a ballhawk who plays in a pro-style defense). Great size at 6'2, 206. Has the range and smarts to step right in and be successful. Would instantly upgrade our pass defense. I believe he will be a late 1st round prospect.

WR Dwight Jones, NC (6'4, 225) can replace Hines Ward. Loves to work underneath and is very tough, with a great burst. This WR class is loaded with talent. Several players (perhaps one like Jones) will slide due the depth and be available in round 3. It would be crazy not to take advantage of the depth at WR in this draft.

Derek Wolfe DL Cincinnati. Wolfe is an excellent effort pass rusher (quick and relentless). He has great 3-4 DE size. 6'5 305. Round 4 or 5.

Here are some OL guys I like and the Steelers should have a shot at in the early rounds.

Oday Aboushi (6'6, 310) Junior*. Virginia. Tough, competitve tackle who creates gaping holes with his down blocks, can reach the second level, and has good pass protection skill. With his skill set and size, he could play LT, LG, or RT in our scheme. If he declares, this guy will be cruising up draft boards this spring.

Matt Reynolds (6'6, 320) BYU. Senior. Will likely slide a little due to lack of elite athleticism. But, he is very smart, tough, and efficient. He could also play multiple positions. He is 24 years old, very mature, and a four year starter at LT. There are also questions about his height (some scouts claim he is closer to 6'4). This would also cause him to slide a bit and perhaps to be projected to guard. But, he has the sound technique and enough quickness to be successful at tackle. He is a Steeler type. He will learn the playbook quickly and be ready to play right away.

Dee Dub
09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
At this point, I'd say that Burflict and Ta'amu could last until the Steelers pick. Burflict is a tough, heat seeking missile. He is very effective around the LOS. But, I don't love him in space and in coverage. He runs really well in a straight line, but I want to see him break down better than he has so far this season. I like Cordy Glenn the athlete. He is a mountain and (for his size) moves very well. He could be dominant. The problem is that he (and the rest of the Georgia team for that matter) often play like they are asleep. I need to catch an Iowa State game and see their talented guard before I concede the top ranking to Glenn.

I like the following prospects for the STeelers.

FS Robert Lester, Alabama (He is a ballhawk who plays in a pro-style defense). Great size at 6'2, 206. Has the range and smarts to step right in and be successful. Would instantly upgrade our pass defense. I believe he will be a late 1st round prospect.

WR Dwight Jones, NC (6'4, 225) can replace Hines Ward. Loves to work underneath and is very tough, with a great burst. This WR class is loaded with talent. Several players (perhaps one like Jones) will slide due the depth and be available in round 3. It would be crazy not to take advantage of the depth at WR in this draft.

Derek Wolfe DL Cincinnati. Wolfe is an excellent effort pass rusher (quick and relentless). He has great 3-4 DE size. 6'5 305. Round 4 or 5.

Here are some OL guys I like and the Steelers should have a shot at in the early rounds.

Oday Aboushi (6'6, 310) Junior*. Virginia. Tough, competitve tackle who creates gaping holes with his down blocks, can reach the second level, and has good pass protection skill. With his skill set and size, he could play LT, LG, or RT in our scheme. If he declares, this guy will be cruising up draft boards this spring.

Matt Reynolds (6'6, 320) BYU. Senior. Will likely slide a little due to lack of elite athleticism. But, he is very smart, tough, and efficient. He could also play multiple positions. He is 24 years old, very mature, and a four year starter at LT. There are also questions about his height (some scouts claim he is closer to 6'4). This would also cause him to slide a bit and perhaps to be projected to guard. But, he has the sound technique and enough quickness to be successful at tackle. He is a Steeler type. He will learn the playbook quickly and be ready to play right away.

Nice stuff Blood!!

A couple of things, right now Scouts Inc. has both Ta'amu and Burfict ranked 9th and 12th overall.

As for your thoughts on Burfict, keep in mind he is an ILB who is asked to play downhill. For the most part he's a prototypical run stuffer. He plays more in the opponents backfield than he is asked to drop in coverage. He has 4 sacks already and that's pretty impressive coming from inside. But having a little bit of an hear as to what goes on at ASU I know he isnt as bad in coverage as some think. Look at his pick of Matt Barkley a few weeks ago. That wasnt too bad.

If Burfict was to play inside for the Steelers I could see him playing the Mike roll while Timmons is used more to freelance.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I have watched Cordy Glenn (specifically) in three games this year and he does not impress me at all. He has great size and good strength. But he is very lazy in finishing plays and his technique is average (IMO). I think he gets a lot of buzz because he is just so much bigger than everyone else at this level. I am all for drafting a guard in the 1st round but he better be a Hutchinson or a Blalock or a Mankins or an Evans. I mean an obvious pro-bowler. And I don't see that in Glenn (at all).

I love love love Lester. He's a FS ballhawk that can flex down to SS on certain plays. We need him, I just don't know that we can afford that luxury with the current state of our OL. We are desperate for athleticism. I'm talking 3 starting spots up for grab on the OL.

As of right now I could see us drafting OT and OG in rounds 1 and 2. (Just like we did with LB in 2007 when we were desperate for that position and drafted Timmons + Woodley). I think there will be a solid OT left in the 1:25 to 1:32 range. And a solid OG in the 2nd round. Remember we could draft a college OT who is just a little short or a little slow, then shift him to guard (ala Carl Nicks).

I just don't see how anyone can look at our current roster and honestly say there is any higher priority than OL. I'm all for the BPA theory if there is an absolute INSANE gem that somehow slips, but if there is any equal or even debatably equal talent available at the OL position, we have to take it.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2011, 12:07 PM
In his latest mock posted 2 days ago, Walter Cherepinsky has us getting South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore and Iowa State G Kelechi Osemele in the first 2 rounds. I'd do backflips if we came out of the draft with those 2 guys.

Ike Taylor, Stephon Gilmore, Curtis Brown, and Cortez Allen is a solid CB corps.

Marcus Gilbert-Chris Kemoeatu-Maurkice Pouncey-Kelechi Osemele-Willie Colon is a solid starting o-line as well.

Our two biggest weaknesses addressed in a big way. Love it!

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

StarSpangledSteeler
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM
In his latest mock posted 2 days ago, Walter Cherepinsky has us getting South Carolina CB Stephon Gilmore and Iowa State G Kelechi Osemele in the first 2 rounds. I'd do backflips if we came out of the draft with those 2 guys.

Ike Taylor, Stephon Gilmore, Curtis Brown, and Cortez Allen is a solid CB corps.

Marcus Gilbert-Chris Kemoeatu-Maurkice Pouncey-Kelechi Osemele-Willie Colon is a solid starting o-line as well.

I'm just a fan of course (not a professional evaluator) but I've watched Gilmore in two games and I'm not convinced he is an elite ballhawk. Physical, yes. But I don't see the quickness and pure speed some people do. He looks kind of like a glorified McFadden to me. But i'll keep watching.

I would look OT or CB in the 1st round. OG or CB in the second.

Dee Dub
10-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Ok Cordy Glenn is flat out dominating Miss. State today. He's playing LT and is abusing whoever he comes in contact with. Whoever has the brains to put him inside at guard in the NFL where he has limited space on eachside is going to get one great dominating guard. But you wanna know what? He's showing me he could actually play tackle as well.

I think Glenn next to Pouncey the next 10-12 years would be huge. Even a guy like tip-toe Amos Zereoue could run inside.

Dee Dub
10-01-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm just a fan of course (not a professional evaluator) but I've watched Gilmore in two games and I'm not convinced he is an elite ballhawk. Physical, yes. But I don't see the quickness and pure speed some people do. He looks kind of like a glorified McFadden to me. But i'll keep watching.

I would look OT or CB in the 1st round. OG or CB in the second.

How many elite corners are ballhawks any way? Most teams try to go a way from them. What you will get from Gilmore, if used right, is a Charles Woodson type athlete. One who can come off the edge and blitz, one who can play a slot, one who can turn the run inside, and one who has an all around game. I personally like him.

Dee Dub
10-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Baylor's QB Robert Griffin III is unreal. As I write this he has missed on only 14 pass attemps all year. He's thrown 93. He's completed nealry 87% of his passes. 15 TD's and no INT's.

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32

Player Pos. School Grade

1. Andrew Luck* QB Stanford 99
2. Matt Kalil OT USC 97
3. Quinton Coples DE N. Carolina 97
4. Landry Jones* QB Oklahoma 94
5. Trent Richardson* RB Alabama 94
6. Luke Kuechly* ILB Boston Coll. 94
7. Justin Blackmon* WR Okla. State 96
8. Jonathan Martin OT Stanford 93
9. Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington 93
10. Manti Te'o* ILB Notre Dame 93
11. Riley Reiff* OT Iowa 92
12. Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona St. 92
13. Brandon Thompson DT Clemson 92
14. Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama 92
15. Cordy Glenn OG Georgia 92
16. Matt Barkley* QB USC 91
17. Morris Claiborne* CB LSU 91
18. Jared Crick DE Nebraska 90
19. Kheeston Randall DT Texas 90
20. Alshon Jeffery* WR S. Carolina 90
21. Cliff Harris* CB Oregon 89
22. Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska 88
23. Andrew Datko OT Florida State 88
24. Bruce Irvin DE W. Virginia 88
25. Josh Chapman DT Alabama 88
26. Dre Kirkpatrick* CB Alabama 87
27. Cam Johnson DE Virginia 87
28. Levy Adcock OT Okla. State 87
29. Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M 87
30. Coryell Judie CB Texas A&M 86
31. Markelle Martin S Okla. State 86
32. Kendall Reyes DT Connecticut 86

* Denotes draft-eligible underclassman

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

Dee Dub
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Baylor's QB Robert Griffin III is unreal. As I write this he has missed on only 14 pass attemps all year. He's thrown 93. He's completed nealry 87% of his passes. 15 TD's and no INT's.

I jinxed him. Threw a pick. So for the season he's at....

113 Attempts 93 comp 82.5% completion 18 TD's and 1 INT

:shock:

steelerkeylargo
10-02-2011, 12:09 AM
The nose tackle from Wash. is soft I wouldn't touch him before the 4th round. I would be looking OL in the 1st and Coryell Judie in the 2nd.

focosteeler
10-02-2011, 12:23 AM
I dont really know much for the 2012 draft, but i do know in 2013.....I want Tyrann Mathieu.

hawaiiansteel
10-02-2011, 01:21 AM
I dont really know much for the 2012 draft, but i do know in 2013.....I want Tyrann Mathieu.

Tyrann Mathieu is an amazingly talented athlete, unless we lose a lot of games in 2012 we'll never have a shot at him. I believe Mathieu already owns the LSU career record of career forced fumbles with 8 in only 18 games played so far.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/368/918/126319611_crop_650x440.jpg?1317479127

Dee Dub
10-02-2011, 01:37 AM
The nose tackle from Wash. is soft I wouldn't touch him before the 4th round. I would be looking OL in the 1st and Coryell Judie in the 2nd.

You're crazy. Ta'amu is a major force. Most experts have him as a top 10-15 pick. And the thing about him is he doesnt have to make plays in order to be dominate. He can collapse a pocket, push it back, and he requires a double team in the run game. He is a flat out two gap space eater. But I will say this, the NT/DT who is really caught my eye is the kid from Clemson, Brandon Thompson. A high motor guy who sheds blocks as good as I've seen in a while. Head up, stack and shed just like you draw it up on the board.

Dee Dub
10-02-2011, 01:47 AM

I like Morris Claiborne in that secondary. Better size, long arms, doesnt have the same speed as former LSU star Patrick Peterson but may be a better pure cover man.

Now 2012? Sign me up for WR Robert Woods USC.

steelerkeylargo
10-02-2011, 10:16 AM

You're crazy. Ta'amu is a major force. Most experts have him as a top 10-15 pick. And the thing about him is he doesnt have to make plays in order to be dominate. He can collapse a pocket, push it back, and he requires a double team in the run game. He is a flat out two gap space eater. But I will say this, the NT/DT who is really caught my eye is the kid from Clemson, Brandon Thompson. A high motor guy who sheds blocks as good as I've seen in a while. Head up, stack and shed just like you draw it up on the board.

Against who? Utah? Oregon St.? I guy that size should be dominant. Ta'amu is far from it. He is rarely a factor and can easily be handled by elite competition. Inconsistent at best. Now Thompson is a player. I loved the kid last year and have been pleased to see him perform without Jenkins and Bowers on the line with him.

steelerkeylargo
10-02-2011, 10:44 AM
To your other point the league is flush with players who were "top 15" picks that couldn't play and washed out. You take the "experts" I will take my own eyes.