PDA

View Full Version : James Meredith and Trevis Turner may dress for OL

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

by Michael Bean on Sep 29, 2011 6:09 PM EDT

If the Pittsburgh Steelers are to win their third consecutive game of the season -- as well as the third straight matchup against the Houston Texans -- they'll have to do so with improved play along the offensive line, a solid performance from the secondary, and more consistent ball protection from Ben Roethlisberger and the rest of the Steelers' offensive unit.

In the Week 3 win over Indianapolis, the Steelers suffered multiple injuries to offensive linemen, the first real rash of physical setbacks the team has experienced since losing Willie Colon for the season in Week 1. Jonathan Scott, who struggled for much of the night containing Dwight Freeney from his left tackle position, is out with a severely sprained ankle. Rookie Marcus Gilbert is expected to start in his place at LT even though he too is recovering from an injury sustained last Sunday. Gilbert injured his shoulder in the win and was replaced in favor of Trai Essex at right tackle. When Scott went down though in the fourth quarter, Gilbert was forced to return to the lineup and was slid over to the left side.To round out the tough night injury-wise, Doug Legursky also went down with a shoulder injury. According to Dale Lolley in my interview with him this morning, Legursky is likely to dress but not play except in the event of an injury.

All told, Mike Tomlin faces quite the dilemma. How many offensive linemen should the Steelers dress this coming Sunday against the Texans? Last week they dressed seven and it nearly put them in a huge predicament. Gilbert had no choice really but to return, as the Steelers were out of reserves to use instead. With Legursky and Gilbert still not fully recovered from their respective shoulder injuries, should the Steelers really roll the dice and go to battle with juts seven OL again?

Probably not. Seems a bit too risky. Scott Brown reported this morning that Bruce Arians said he expects Jamon Meredith to dress this Sunday. Meredith, who's bounced around between five teams since entering the league in 2009, was picked up by the Steelers in the aftermath of Colon's injury. He would theoretically be the first guy off the bench if either Essex or Gilbert got hurt or struggled mightily.

Another option is practice squad member Trevis Turner, who according to Mark Kaboly "went through "live" hitting after practice. Unusual, unless they plan to activate him."

We'll see about that, but I would love to see Turner earn a helmet. He was my sleeper pick to make the practice squad or roster amongst the crop of undrafted free agent rookies. Frankly, the Steelers would probably be better off going with him over Meredith were they to find themselves with no other alternatives. If the two are more or less equal with how they look in practice, might as well go with the younger guy who the team clearly is intrigued by from a potential and physical ability standpoint.

Hopefully this is a moot point come Sunday when the Steelers place the Texans. However, given the uncertain status of multiple guys at an already thin position, it's a conversation worth talking about as we wait to see if Tomlin does in fact dress eight OL or opts to roll the dice with just seven.

RuthlessBurgher
09-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Even if Jon Scott and Doug Legursky can't play, I don't see them bringing Turner up from the practice squad, because they'd have to cut someone from the 53 man roster to do it.

In this case, the starting line would be Essex-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert with Chris Scott and Jamon Meredith as the active backups. The author doesn't mention Chris Scott at all...he suggests "Legursky is likely to dress but not play except in the event of an injury" in which case Bronko would be the 8th active o-lineman.

Pahn711
09-30-2011, 05:44 AM
The title of this thread is misleading. It might be Meredith OR Turner, but no way its both unless theres more injuries forthcoming. Chris Scott will get the nod before Turner.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-30-2011, 10:20 AM
I liked what I saw out of Turner in the Preseason. He could have a future at RT. Just not sure if it is right now but the coaches will know. If he is dedicated in the weight room and trims some body fat...He could surprise and possibly grow into a starter....Someday.

Chris Scott is still a mystery to me. From what I hear and see I could only guess it is the mental part of the game holding him back. I saw him suffer from Tunch's famous "paralysis by analysis" syndrome and react late on assigments during the preseason. If or when he gets past that he could compete.

I liked Meredith coming out of college. Not sure if he has the playbook down yet. He is like a "tweener". He has the athletic ability to play LT but lacks consistency in his technique. Has the abilty to play G and pull & block on 2nd level but lacks some size (not strength) to anchor against the bull rush. He seems to be a smarter Tony Hills with a nastier demeanour. If he uses his "smarts"...Maybe he could become something under Koogs.

As far as the Texans game...I think Gilbert would perform better at LT than Essex. However, I think the smarter move, which I believe will be the coaches move too, might be to leave Gilbert at RT and put Essex at LT. The chemistry on the OL will be less impacted with Essex at LT. Battle will sit so they could carry 8. Foster starts and Bronco(emergency), Scott, & Meredith all dress.

Essex-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert

Now, if for some reason Kemo can't go or if they feel Bronco can not even play in case of an emergency...Than I do believe Turner may be called up. Will it be a handshake & nod deal like Lefty years ago...Not sure. I don't see many under 4 years who wouldn't be picked up. Possibly C Scott but to me, they could use all the OL bodies they could get. McClendon? I think there will be someone who might take a shot at him. They really put themselves in a bad position here with some aging vets & guranteed salaries. I think they have decided a year too late in moving on from some vets.

This might be the only time I really question the FO & Tomlin's decisions on vet signings and the final 53. They left themselves no flexibility because of guaranteed vet contracts & the risk of releasing a player who won't clear waivers in the case of an injury.

steelblood
09-30-2011, 02:49 PM
I liked what I saw out of Turner in the Preseason. He could have a future at RT. Just not sure if it is right now but the coaches will know. If he is dedicated in the weight room and trims some body fat...He could surprise and possibly grow into a starter....Someday.

Chris Scott is still a mystery to me. From what I hear and see I could only guess it is the mental part of the game holding him back. I saw him suffer from Tunch's famous "paralysis by analysis" syndrome and react late on assigments during the preseason. If or when he gets past that he could compete.

I liked Meredith coming out of college. Not sure if he has the playbook down yet. He is like a "tweener". He has the athletic ability to play LT but lacks consistency in his technique. Has the abilty to play G and pull & block on 2nd level but lacks some size (not strength) to anchor against the bull rush. He seems to be a smarter Tony Hills with a nastier demeanour. If he uses his "smarts"...Maybe he could become something under Koogs.

As far as the Texans game...I think Gilbert would perform better at LT than Essex. However, I think the smarter move, which I believe will be the coaches move too, might be to leave Gilbert at RT and put Essex at LT. The chemistry on the OL will be less impacted with Essex at LT. Battle will sit so they could carry 8. Foster starts and Bronco(emergency), Scott, & Meredith all dress.

Essex-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert

Now, if for some reason Kemo can't go or if they feel Bronco can not even play in case of an emergency...Than I do believe Turner may be called up. Will it be a handshake & nod deal like Lefty years ago...Not sure. I don't see many under 4 years who wouldn't be picked up. Possibly C Scott but to me, they could use all the OL bodies they could get. McClendon? I think there will be someone who might take a shot at him. They really put themselves in a bad position here with some aging vets & guranteed salaries. I think they have decided a year too late in moving on from some vets.

This might be the only time I really question the FO & Tomlin's decisions on vet signings and the final 53. They left themselves no flexibility because of guaranteed vet contracts & the risk of releasing a player who won't clear waivers in the case of an injury.

Cutting McClendon would be a mistake. That kid has potential. I'd be disappointed if it came to that.

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Cutting McClendon would be a mistake. That kid has potential. I'd be disappointed if it came to that.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't cut McLendon in order to bring up a practice squad tackle (although it would be poetic justice to a certain extent if we lost McLendon because of a P.S. call up due to multiple injuries to the o-line, when just last season, we lost Thad Gibson because we had to bring up McLendon from the P.S. when the d-line was ravaged by injuries).

Personally, I'd let Arnaz Battle or Will Allen go (because Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen have shown special teams abilities), but the team seems to like them. The one guy who might be in danger if they wanted to move up Turner could be Jon Dwyer.

I still think that there is no movement up from the P.S. this week. We usually dress 7 OL, and we can still do that this week with Essex, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Chris Scott, and Meredith.

DukieBoy
09-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Jamon Meredith? Isn't Jamon Spanish for Ham ? No relation to Pork Chop Womack, or Jack Ham for that matter. Oh well, when's the game start?

fordfixer
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Jamon Meredith? Isn't Jamon Spanish for Ham ? No relation to Pork Chop Womack, or Jack Ham for that matter. Oh well, when's the game start?

After reading alot of the post on the board this week it seem's the game is all ready over we lost :HeadBanger

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-30-2011, 10:39 PM

No, no, it's pronounced Jaaa-Mon, as in "Game On".

That's it ... "Game On JaaMon", the Rasta LT. Gonna beat Mario from the Barrio.

OK, so maybe it's not pronounced like that, but that'd be cool if it were!!

DukieBoy
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM

After reading alot of the post on the board this week it seem's the game is all ready over we lost :HeadBanger

Please don't hurt your head, FF. Goodell will fine you. And on any given Sunday, we can beat the Texans (like we have the past several times).

TallyStiller
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
So we're actually saying that Trai Essex is the BEST we can come up with to roll out on Sunday against Mario Williams? :shock: Any chance I can take out a life insurance policy on Ben between now and game time?

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2011, 02:15 AM
So we're actually saying that Trai Essex is the BEST we can come up with to roll out on Sunday against Mario Williams? :shock: Any chance I can take out a life insurance policy on Ben between now and game time?

yup, that's what the Steelers are saying:

Fourth line combo to start

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers will start their fourth offensive line combination of the season on Sunday when they play the Houston Texans at 1 p.m. at Reliant Stadium.

With Jonathan Scott and Doug Legursky ruled out with injuries, Trai Essex will start at left tackle and Ramon Foster at right guard.

I am excited for it, said Foster. Any time you get the chance to start against a quality team it always excites you.

Foster started at left guard for Chris Kemoeatu against Seattle, but this will be Essexs first start of the year. After not being signed during training camp, Essex is thrilled about the opportunity.

I cant ask for anything more, said Essex. This is a blessing. Considering my situation two months ago, I went from not knowing if I would have an NFL job to starting against a high-caliber defense in the Houston Texans. I am looking forward to that. And on top of that I am playing my natural position of left tackle so its pretty sweet for me.

Scott and Legursky missed practice all week, allowing Foster and Essex to get all of the reps with the first team in practice, something that will prove beneficial to them come Sunday.

Its a whole lot better being able to prepare for it, said Foster. I went from playing at left to going to right this week. It takes a couple of days to get used to it technically, but you just have to get prepared for it.

Essex has worked at guard, center and tackle in practice this season, but the opportunity to focus on one position has been a plus.

Its just a matter of approaching it from a starter mentality, said Essex. I know I am going to be in there. As a backup you are not sure when you are going to go in, when your number is going to be called or in my situation what position you are going to play. To have a whole week of preparation at one position, just getting used to the fine-tuning, technique and game plan, its going to help me out tremendously.

I dont have to worry about what the right guard or right tackle is doing this week. I am the starting left tackle this week and I am looking forward to it.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 47bc5c1e74 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Fourth-line-combo-to-start/c75976fb-f79c-4e16-8497-6447bc5c1e74)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Can Ben throw left-handed?

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2011, 11:51 AM

No, no, it's pronounced Jaaa-Mon, as in "Game On".

That's it ... "Game On JaaMon", the Rasta LT. Gonna beat Mario from the Barrio.

OK, so maybe it's not pronounced like that, but that'd be cool if it were!!

Jam on it!
Jam on it!
I said jam-j-j-jam on it!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VcntiGDIqAA/TCCu4qmxXVI/AAAAAAAADvA/YkEynRwGvLA/s400/cvr.jpeg

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
The thing we have to worry about, with Legursky ruled out and Essex starting at left tackle, is what happens if, God forbid, Pouncey gets hurt in this game. I guess Essex is our only option as a backup center, so he'd have to move from LT to C, then they'd probably prefer Gilbert protecting Ben's blind side compared to Chris Scott or Jamon Meredith, so Gilbert would move from RT to LT, then either Scott or Meredith would be inserted at RT. I hate having to make 2 moves to fill one slot, never mind 3 moves. If they considered bringing someone up from the P.S. to be a possible 8th active o-lineman this week, the smarter move may be Malecki over Turner, since Malecki is a natural center.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't cut McLendon in order to bring up a practice squad tackle (although it would be poetic justice to a certain extent if we lost McLendon because of a P.S. call up due to multiple injuries to the o-line, when just last season, we lost Thad Gibson because we had to bring up McLendon from the P.S. when the d-line was ravaged by injuries).

Personally, I'd let Arnaz Battle or Will Allen go (because Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen have shown special teams abilities), but the team seems to like them. The one guy who might be in danger if they wanted to move up Turner could be Jon Dwyer.

I still think that there is no movement up from the P.S. this week. We usually dress 7 OL, and we can still do that this week with Essex, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert, Chris Scott, and Meredith.

Those are the names every fan wants to throw out. If you look at it from a FO perspective, if you waive Allen or Battle to make room for Turner...You still have to pay them their salary. To resign that player at a later time...Which will be vet min...That new salary also counts. I believe it is set up that way so you can't circumvent the sytem. Being that they have no room to begin with...That doesn't sound like it will happen. So the guy the will have to waive has to be an unvested vet which is names none of us want to hear like McClendon, Scott, Dwyer, Carter, etc. Like I said, bad position.

I will say it now...And I understand it is not how you start but how you finish. They are not a playoff team right now and the guys who hold the key to making that change are in the 3rd year to rookie range. Its not all on the vets. If the Steelers don't have some of their young players step up to the challenge...The season will end after week 17.