PDA

View Full Version : OK, what offensive game plan would you put together?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Assuming the O-line doesn't all of a sudden "gel" ... what calls would you make to compensate?

My first thoughts would be to have a lot of motion so the defensive guys can't tee off quite so much. Rolling Ben out would be my 1st idea.

How about keeping Hines in to block and protect Ben? ... yikes, that's pretty much off the wall. But at least we know he KNOWS how to block!

Or Mewelde in on a LOT of plays. He's pretty good in protection, and the other guys won't know if he's actually going to be a target. If we can keep Ben upright enough for him to sneak across the line.

OK, those are my ignoramus thoughts!!

steeler_george
09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I honestly believe this game will be the key game for us all season. If we stutter or even play as close as we did the 1st 3 games (ok although we did a shut out against lowly Seattle our "O" was average at best) the season is will look doomed.

What we need to do is establish the run, for heaven sake pound the damn ball. We to establish who we are. For some reason I sort of like our projected starts on the OL this week. Essex-Foster-Pouncy-Kemo-Gilbert. Addition by subtraction, Essex can't be worse than Scott and Foster a bigger body, average to solid.

LouSteel
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm with steeler_george. Even though this is a passing league, our OL isn't good enough to let us pass to set up the run. We need a ground game and fast. Redman needs to see more touches. We need to put somebody -- anybody! -- in for David Johnson, because he couldn't block me.

When we do pass, do it fast. I'd rather go 3 and out because we throw fast and short than risk having Ben hold the ball behind our porous OL.

If we can establish something on the ground, everything will settle down and we might have a chance.

If our RB averages 2.1 YPC again, we're going to be in deep trouble.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I think that I like the Moore idea. It seems that when we have Mendy back there that everyone in the stadium knows the play and it comes down to execution. Reminds me of the days when we had a fourth Q lead with Bettis in the game. The problem is that this team is too often unable to execute these plays.

Moore in the game adds a whole different dimension to the offense. There is more that he does well. He is a great YAC receiver out of the backfield, he is a good blocker, and he can even run the ball a bit too and he hits the hole faster than Mendenhall.

I'm not saying that he is a better runner than Rashard, I am saying that his skillset might be more of what this O needs right now.

steeler_george
09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I think that I like the Moore idea. It seems that when we have Mendy back there that everyone in the stadium knows the play and it comes down to execution. Reminds me of the days when we had a fourth Q lead with Bettis in the game. The problem is that this team is too often unable to execute these plays.

Moore in the game adds a whole different dimension to the offense. There is more that he does well. He is a great YAC receiver out of the backfield, he is a good blocker, and he can even run the ball a bit too and he hits the hole faster than Mendenhall.

I'm not saying that he is a better runner than Rashard, I am saying that his skillset might be more of what this O needs right now.

Mendy himself is not to shabby as a receiver out of the back field maybe a few passed to him early to establish his role is not just one dementional.

Doogie36
09-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Bunch formations keeping WR and TE IN with 1 Back.

Hurry up offense all day long!! A tired Defense isnt going to blitz as effectively! With our bunch formation we can still have 3 WR's and Heath in the game which allows us to run Bunch or Split them out in the HURRY UP offense which will make it hard on a defense to defend! If they arent in DIME or NICKLE this will expose them!!!

Doogie36
09-30-2011, 11:29 AM
or maybe its time to go WILDCAT with Sanders since our offense and QB stink so bad.

:stirpot

sd steel
09-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I go more with the bunch formation as well as quick slants. For big plays I would roll Ben, I would focus more on quick hitting short routes, like the Pats*, But I would send Brown or Wallace or Sanders deep almost every play to keep the safeties back, and I would pass to set up the run and go with man blocking assignment when we run.

Pretty simple. Get rid of the ball quick, but make them respect the deep threat.

pittpete
09-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Play Action and lots of it.
Designed QB roll-outs for Ben
No more WR screens
More plays designed for Heath
and this

Or Mewelde in on a LOT of plays. He's pretty good in protection, and the other guys won't know if he's actually going to be a target.

aggiebones
09-30-2011, 01:52 PM
More 2nd and 7.
Less 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass.

On second and 7, the D can't key on much. You can run or pass very easily if you have the correct mindset.

But in 2nd and 10, I bet the league passes 85% of the time.

grotonsteel
09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
No more WR screens
and this

Or Mewelde in on a LOT of plays. He's pretty good in protection, and the other guys won't know if he's actually going to be a target.

:Agree

Ben seems to throw to only one RB and that is Me-Mo.

Dee Dub
09-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I think the Steelers best offense is a dominating defense. So I say....blitz! blitz! blitz! and more blitz!

And for offense I'd like to see the toss-sweep on occasion. And of course more touches for Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown. The two biggest game changers on this team.

Dee Dub
09-30-2011, 02:27 PM
...What we need to do is establish the run, for heaven sake pound the damn ball. We to establish who we are. For some reason I sort of like our projected starts on the OL this week. Essex-Foster-Pouncy-Kemo-Gilbert. Addition by subtraction, Essex can't be worse than Scott and Foster a bigger body, average to solid.

This too me is the problem for the Steelers on offense. The Steelers, even, with the O-line you propose, are not set up to run the ball successfully. Gilbert and Scott at this point in the careers are not great run blockers. With Starks and Flozell last year, establishing the run was more of their identity. Not this year.

So who are the biggest game changers and most explosive weapons on this offense? Yep..Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown. Play to your strength and stop trying to be something you are not.

BackwoodsSteeler
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, what offensive game plan would you put together?
Schedule the bus to the stadium an hour early and don't tell BA.

Or this......

No more WR screens
and this

feltdizz
09-30-2011, 03:35 PM
snap the freaking ball with 5 to 7 seconds left on the play clock...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Lots of run up the middle on first and second downs. But be sure to mix in a generous portion of those little bubble screens.

When you have to pass, use lots of slow-developing plays (think 7-step drops) where you try to find receivers far down the field.

By all means, do NOT have a blocking fullback in--they are NOT needed in modern football.

Keep Redman and Moore on the bench.

Keep that dynamo Johnson in the game as much as possible.

We did a series of no-huddle last week; better not try it again this week.

In other words, another BA game.

NOT!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Discipline of Steel
10-01-2011, 06:20 AM
As far as a game plan...go with something they were recently successful with, pass to set up the run. Be aggressive early and try to go up by two scores. Once passing is established, the homerun threat should keep the saftey out of the box. Then run, baby, run. The best running teams are those which are ahead.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Lots of run up the middle on first and second downs. But be sure to mix in a generous portion of those little bubble screens.

When you have to pass, use lots of slow-developing plays (think 7-step drops) where you try to find receivers far down the field.

By all means, do NOT have a blocking fullback in--they are NOT needed in modern football.

Keep Redman and Moore on the bench.

Keep that dynamo Johnson in the game as much as possible.

We did a series of no-huddle last week; better not try it again this week.

In other words, another BA game.

NOT!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually had the phone in hand ready to call the men in white to come take you away for your own protection, until I read that last part!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SidSmythe
10-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Get a Real FB

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I've seen a couple of suggestions for the bunch formation. I do not like the bunch formation. I realize that, yes, it give the offense flexibility in that the guys bunched up can either help the OL with blocking or go out on routes, but to me, all that bunching up does is bring more guys into the box. Other teams with weapons like we have on offense prefer to run a spread, which forces the defense into its nickel or dime defense (hence, less guys in the box for the OL to block).

Although I think our base should be 11 personnel (Mendy, Heath, and 3 WR...most importantly, no David Johnson), you could also go 4 wide with Wallace, Ward, Brown, and Sanders more often than they are now, and the defense has to respect that (they can't bring the house on Ben if they have to worry about covering all those guys).

Keep Mendenhall, Redman, or Moore in as a single back so at least there is a threat to run (I hate the empty backfield where the defense knows it's a pass and can therefore just pin their ears back). All 3 of those guys are able to run, block, and catch (if you give them a chance to do so), so I think all 3 of those RB's are useful in the spread (and there may be more openings for a one-cut runner if the defense is thinking pass and rushing upfield instead of staying in their lanes).

skyhawk
10-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Start off the game like we did against the Colts with quick passes.

Bring in at least some no huddle. That will help slow down the pass rush. Especially since Arians refuses to run any rollouts, or that the Steelers are completely inept in running a true RB screen (is even in the playbook??)