PDA

View Full Version : Is Hines Ward a Hall of Fame receiver?

fordfixer
09-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Is Hines Ward a Hall of Fame receiver?

September, 29, 2011

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... e-receiver (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/32438/is-hines-ward-a-hall-of-fame-receiver)

By Jamison Hensley

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward needs 16 yards receiving to surpass Hall of Fame receiver Don Maynard for 20th in NFL history, another milestone that could help his future campaign for Canton. In his 14th season, Ward has totaled 11,819 yards receiving.

Interestingly, only seven players in the top 20 for receiving yards are in the Hall of Fame: Jerry Rice, James Lofton, Steve Largent, Art Monk, Charlie Joiner, Michael Irvin and Maynard.

Ward's climb up the all-time list comes as his numbers have declined the past two seasons. After 59 catches last season, he has only 12 receptions in three games this year.

He is the third-most targeted receiver for Pittsburgh, and his 117 yards receiving ranks fourth on the Steelers behind Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Heath Miller.

But Ward has had success against the Texans, catching two touchdown passes in each of the past two meetings with Houston.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2011, 09:26 PM
One of the announcers on Sunday night said he was certainly a future HOFer.

Might even have been Chrissy!

Sugar
09-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes.

Next question.

Pahn711
09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes.

Next question.

:Agree

chiken
09-29-2011, 11:22 PM
no question about it.

plainnasty
09-29-2011, 11:54 PM
His stats; 966 reception, 11819 yards, and 83 TDs put him in serious consideration for the Hall. Add in that he is the best blocking receiver of his era, on a team that was run first for most of his years. Then add 2 Super Bowl wins and a SB MVP, and he is in.

hawaiiansteel
09-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Crash wanted to remind all of you that not only has Hines been divorced once, but he's also been known to hang out with drug dealers and once said something bad about Ben...

Slapstick
09-30-2011, 09:11 AM
His stats; 966 reception, 11819 yards, and 83 TDs put him in serious consideration for the Hall. Add in that he is the best blocking receiver of his era, on a team that was run first for most of his years. Then add 2 Super Bowl wins and a SB MVP, and he is in.

Four Pro Bowl appearances on top of that...

If Hines tops 1000 catches and 12000 yards, it would be hard to deny him...

LouSteel
09-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Four Pro Bowl appearances on top of that...

If Hines tops 1000 catches and 12000 yards, it would be hard to deny him...

Are the 966/11819 numbers including this season so far? If so we're only talking ~3 catches and ~13 yards per game for the rest of the season.

I really want to see Hines retire with 1K catches.

People who know football know what Hines Ward in his prime meant for this team. He's a lock, IMO.

steeler_george
09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Add in 4 superbowl wins if he retires in 2 years :wink: :wink:

DkBlue
09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
He has earned it and will get it. One of the great Steelers. SB MVP is a bg plus for his .
chances.

skyhawk
10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
If one of the best Centers in NFL history doesn't get in. Ward will not get in.

Anti-Steeler bias and Ward has never been fantasy football material (FF has ruined the game IMO). I have my doubts he gets in.

fordfixer
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Anti-Steeler bias and Ward has never been fantasy football material (FF has ruined the game IMO). I have my doubts he gets in.

I hope you meant fantasy football and not Ford fixer has ruined the game.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Just this board...not all of football. :wink:

fordfixer
10-01-2011, 08:45 PM

I knew that was coming :moon :lol:

skyhawk
10-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I drive a Honda ;)

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2011, 08:57 PM

we get rid of insanesteelersfan yet keep fordfixer? how can anyone justify that?

fordfixer
10-01-2011, 09:02 PM

we get rid of insanesteelersfan yet keep fordfixer? how can anyone justify that?
ouch

hawaiiansteel
10-01-2011, 09:14 PM

ouch

:Cheers

although you most likely can't preacher curl a gazillion trillion pounds and your waist size is probably over 30, we'll let you stay on this board a little longer... :D

fordfixer
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I drive a Honda ;)
So do I just don't tell anyone :oops:

fordfixer
10-01-2011, 09:23 PM
:Cheers

although you most likely can't preacher curl a gazillion trillion pounds and your waist size is probably over 30, we'll let you stay on this board a little longer... :D

Gee thanks I think :?: 8)

skyhawk
10-02-2011, 12:32 AM
I drive a Honda ;)
So do I just don't tell anyone :oops:

:Beer

Discipline of Steel
10-02-2011, 07:51 AM

You mean insane is gone? It seemed quieter in here. I had him ignored on the chat room anyway.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
"Is Hines Ward a Hall of Fame receiver?"

Not any more. :(

grotonsteel
10-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Hines ward is done. He is at best 5 WR on this team. I hope Jerricho is healthy.

Steelers WRs: Wallace-Brown-sanders-jerricho

LouSteel
10-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I still can't blame him for dropping the ball after that monstrous hit... but even then, Hines did nothing today. It's clear that he's got nothing left in the tank.

I really hate seeing a guy like Hines struggle like this. :(