PDA

View Full Version : B-Mac as a wide receiver?

hawaiiansteel
09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

B-Mac as a wide receiver?

September 29th, 2011
By Mark Kaboly

Bryant McFadden’s cranky hamstring has kept him from really testing it during a typical practice setting, so the Steelers’ cornerback decided there was only one way to really push the limit – by playing offense.

McFadden lined up as a scout team receiver during practice this week not as a possible position switch, but to get a better sense of how his hamstring is coming along.

“I would do a little defense then go in and try to run some routes and try to let it loose,” McFadden said. “I am trying to get a closer assessment of where I am because it is kind of hard to simulate practice with a real live game.”

McFadden actually caught a couple nice passes while testing out his hamstring.
“It was my idea,” McFadden said. “I haven’t done it in a while but I knew it was an opportunity to run a lot while breaking and stopping. That is something that I may try to continue to do.”

McFadden has been nursing a hamstring pull since the first week of training camp. He was able to return for the opener, but has been out ever since.

McFadden plans on being 100 percent before coming back this time, and he said he is very close to reaching that number.

“I would do things and the next day it would be real sore,” McFadden said. “Today I am not as sore, which is very positive for me. I don’t feel as sore as I do the past few weeks.”

McFadden has yet to show up on the injury report this week, but said he likely won’t play against the Texans on Sunday.

“I think it may be smarter on my end if I probably didn’t not knowing how healthy I am,” McFadden said. “In the Baltimore game, I didn’t get a chance to participate all preseason then played 50-some snaps against Baltimore and tweaking it again.”

William Gay has replaced McFadden on the right side and will continue to do so. When the Steelers play five defensive backs, Gay goes back to the nickel and Keenan Lewis enters the game at corner.

However, McFadden will regain his starting position once deemed 100 percent healthy.

“Unless you heard something that I didn’t,” said McFadden when asked if is still the starter when he returns.

“He is healing and once he gets back, that’s his job,” Gay said. “You don’t lose your job to injuries.”

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... rE.twitter (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/29/mcfadden-as-a-wide-receiver/#.ToS3W18HWrE.twitter)

fezziwig
09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
I can't remmeber a healthy McFadden. Is he not playing well because of his injury or is he just not that good even when he is helthy.
I never thought he was that bad to tell you the truth. When you have a guy like Ike Taylor, of course McFadden or whomever is playing opposite of Ike is going to have the ball thrown at him much more.
It's like a catch 22, having an excellent corner that gets the job done only creates a passing weakness with the other team tossing it against the weak corner. It's still better to at least have one good corner compared to having two weak corners.
I miss Deshea Townsend. He wasn't nothing flashy but, he managed pretty well when he was on duty.

These hamstring injuries seem to be more of the modern day football era. The first time I heard of a hamstring injury was with Louis Lipps and I can remember Noll ripping him in public about it.

I really don't recall the guys in the 70's having hamstring injuries. Forgive me if I sound ignorant but, do these guys pull these hamstrings because they are overly conditioned ?

Pahn711
09-29-2011, 08:30 PM
I can't remmeber a healthy McFadden. Is he not playing well because of his injury or is he just not that good even when he is helthy.
I never thought he was that bad to tell you the truth. When you have a guy like Ike Taylor, of course McFadden or whomever is playing opposite of Ike is going to have the ball thrown at him much more.
It's like a catch 22, having an excellent corner that gets the job done only creates a passing weakness with the other team tossing it against the weak corner. It's still better to at least have one good corner compared to having two weak corners.

Yeah it does seem like McFadden has a lot of injuries. Even the season he was with the Cardinals, he was injured in the playoffs and blamed his poor performance on it (injured ribs I think?). Anyways, I agree that McFadden gets trashed a lot more than he deserves. The NFL is a passing league and theres only a small group of shutdown corners out there....it could be a lot worse.

pittpete
09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Yay, now we can have 2 wide receivers that dont play because of bum hamstrings :roll:

fezziwig
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Yay, now we can have 2 wide receivers that dont play because of bum hamstrings :roll:

Ha ! Good one !

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Who knows, it couldn't hurt. Worst case scenario is that he doesn't play due to injuries.

It could be a good thing though. I remember that when Deion began working out as a WR with Andre Rison he sad that it helped his CB game a lot because it gave him insight as to what the WR was thinking when they were going against each other.

Steelerphile
09-30-2011, 05:47 PM
To me McFadden's injury woes must be so serious that it was not the best idea to keep him around. If the coaches value his experience so much and don't want to play the younger players, then there must be some FA DB with some experience that they could have signed to his roster spot.

They had this long offseason for McFadden to attend to his physical problems, and he either did nothing in that regards, or his injury problems are so severe that he can't play anymore. One week after camp began and he has been crippled ever since. It was a bad idea to keep him on the roster.