PDA

View Full Version : How would you have answered this (a deal with the Devil?)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
If Colbert had said to Steeler Nation 5 years ago: "I can guarantee you that I can draft a team that will be in 3 Superbowls in 5 years, and you will win two of them.

BUT ... there's no free lunch, if you want me to draft for that incredible winning run, it means we will have shot our wad for future drafts. So I also guarantee you that after those winning seasons we'll have so many washed up veterans and 3rd rate players on the field that you will lose your franchise QB to injury for a season (or two), and you'll be below 0.500 for two years after that.

Tell me, Steeler Nation - DO YOU WANT ME TO DO THAT?" ...

What would we have said in reply?

AzStillers1989
09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Freedom to live without certainty of the future would be my choice.

So in other words... ,"NEVER."

" When the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never, because a dance with the devil might last you forever"
Artist : Immortal Technique Song : Dance With The Devil

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Freedom to live without certainty of the future would be my choice.

So in other words... ,"NEVER."

" When the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never, because a dance with the devil might last you forever"
Artist : Immortal Technique Song : Dance With The Devil

I hear you, AZStillers1989.

I guess what I'm thinking is that we shot our wad, and have had a most excellent run. Now we're stuck with the personnel we have, with serious salary cap #s. We have Wood, Troy, Ben ... and so we have JT, Gilbert, and the like as well.

Our winning the SB this year will require us to play WAY above our pay grade. Amazingly, we came within a play or two of doing just that last year. Can we do it this year? I'm holding my breath, and crossing my fingers (just for luck).

I'll be screaming my lungs out at Reliant Stadium on Sunday too!!

SidSmythe
09-29-2011, 09:01 PM
well .. as much as I wanna see the Steelers win, you gotta take the good with the bad.

at the end of the day do we want a competetive league???
are we going to be dominant every year???

I live in Western NY and as much as I see the Steelers stuck in the mud this year, I at least have hope. It took beating New England around here for people to get excited. That's how awful it's been ... 3-0 has people doing back flips.

pittpete
09-29-2011, 09:27 PM
So after 3 games we have shot our wad?
This is a joke and theres no such thing as the devil :stirpot

Sugar
09-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I would never deal with the Devil because he's a liar and doesn't have the power to give you that desired outcome anyway.

While I don't think that we'll be a championship team every year, I must say that I've really gotten used to being a consistent contender. If we can have a winning season 8 out of 10 years, that's pretty sweet to me.

Flasteel
09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Are your fears that we are doomed so great that you have to imagine such a deal?

Even if our offensive line problems eventually sabotage this season, I'm confident this team will be a contender for many years to come. We have a lot of good young talent, a franchise quarterback in his prime, an outstanding coaching staff (sans the OC, of course), and that GM you mentioned ain't too shabby either. Oh yeah...the Rooneys might have something to do with it as well.

We're certainly not at the top of our game right now - especially on offense - but we are on top of our division (tiebreakers not withstanding). A good win in Houston this week will keep us there and hopefully be enough do drag you and half the Steeler Nation back from the ledge. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
So after 3 games we have shot our wad?
This is a joke and theres no such thing as the devil :stirpot

Bobby Boucher's mama says Commissioner Goodell is the devil. In Men's Health, James Harrison agreed.

He'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul, cuz he thinks he's better'n you.

http://cbsatlanta.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/devil-commish.jpg?w=150&h=150

papillon
10-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Are your fears that we are doomed so great that you have to imagine such a deal?

Even if our offensive line problems eventually sabotage this season, I'm confident this team will be a contender for many years to come. We have a lot of good young talent, a franchise quarterback in his prime, an outstanding coaching staff (sans the OC, of course), and that GM you mentioned ain't too shabby either. Oh yeah...the Rooneys might have something to do with it as well.

We're certainly not at the top of our game right now - especially on offense - but we are on top of our division (tiebreakers not withstanding). A good win in Houston this week will keep us there and hopefully be enough do drag you and half the Steeler Nation back from the ledge. :tt2

I'd settle for solid and improving performance from the offense and defense and I'll come back in off the ledge. Right now, the offense is in disarray and too inconsistent to be regarded as much more than average. The offense appears to be leaning on Ben to bail out poor blocking, poor running and dropped passes at inopportune times.

The defense while maybe gaining some footing allowed Curtis Painter (who?) to drive 80 yards as if they weren't on the field to tie the game last week. Had Painter started the game the Colts may have won it. Harrison and Polamalu seemed to return to form and appear to be getting stronger each week and that's good. Harrison can dominate a game like Suggs did against the Steelers. Until I see the defense put a complete game together I'll stay on the ledge. :P

Pappy

steelblood
10-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Every team goes through a transition period. Our defense is old and our O-line lacks talent. The good this is that we haven't "shot our wad" in future drafts. We have not traded away future picks. So, we will use the draft to retool and we will have to purge the roster next season to get under the cap. In 2013 or 2014, the new TV deals kick in and the salary cap should grow significantly. All we need to do is stay the course and draft well, and we will again have money to spend in a few years.

The 2011 is the season before our transition period. We have enough talent to win now (save our Oline). If Koogs can get this O-line playing well (not great, just good), we will be quite competitive this season (barring injuries to key players). Next year, we will begin a transition period.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Every team goes through a transition period. Our defense is old and our O-line lacks talent. The good this is that we haven't "shot our wad" in future drafts. We have not traded away future picks. So, we will use the draft to retool and we will have to purge the roster next season to get under the cap. In 2013 or 2014, the new TV deals kick in and the salary cap should grow significantly. All we need to do is stay the course and draft well, and we will again have money to spend in a few years.

The 2011 is the season before our transition period. We have enough talent to win now (save our Oline). If Koogs can get this O-line playing well (not great, just good), we will be quite competitive this season (barring injuries to key players). Next year, we will begin a transition period.

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying in my post ... all teams have to go through this, and we had a great run. Only thing maybe I'd change is that our transition year is this year. But you're right - we haven't shot our wad in the draft. We could look MUCH worse in the future.

I just wonder how many years Ben, Troy, and Ike have left in them.