PDA

View Full Version : NFL fines Steelers WR Antonio Brown $7.5K for low block

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
NFL fines Steelers WR Brown $7.5K for low block

Posted on: September 28, 2011
by Ryan Wilson

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/antonio-brown-092811.jpg

Second-year WR Antonio Brown is now $7,500 lighter in the wallet. (US PRESSWIRE)

This is, well, interesting. The NFL has fined Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown $7,500 for a low block. Not a horse-collar tackle, or an illegal chop block or unsportsmanlike conduct, but going low to block an opponent.

The act in question happened just before halftime of Sunday night's Steelers-Colts game. Indianapolis safety Joe Lefeged intercepted Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger near midfield, and during the return, Brown went low to take out a Colts defender, which is illegal (low blocks are prohibited during a change of possession). We just didn't know that the league was now fining people for it.

Brown told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he was trying to protect himself. "I just took him out before he got me," he said.

Whatever he was doing, he's now out $7,500. The Steelers' 2010 sixth-round pick is making $405,000 this year, so the league has his attention. "That's a lot of money," Brown said. "I can't be giving that away."

In related news, the NFL still appears to be arbitrarily meting out punishments, which only makes it more difficult for players to know what they should be doing.

By the way, if we're Brown, we're making fellow second-year wideout Emmanuel Sanders pay half the fine. If Sanders had touched Lefeged down while he was on the turf just after the interception (instead of going out of his way to avoid Lefeged), there wouldn't have been a runback.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports. ... 8/32343572 (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/32343572)

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Wednesday fine roundup

Posted by Josh Alper on September 28, 2011

Players around the NFL got letters from the league Wednesday informing them that they were fined for actions in Week Three.

Falcons safety William Moore was fined $7,500 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Buccaneers running back Ernest Graham in the third quarter of Tampa’s 16-13 win. Moore was flagged for unnecessary roughness on the play, which came on a drive that ended with the Bucs kicking a field goal and taking a 16-3 lead.

Browns defensive tackle Phil Taylor was fined $7,500 for hitting Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne after Henne slid to end a scramble. He drew a flag on the play. Taylor told Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram that he plans to appeal the fine.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/610x75.jpg?w=250

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer also reports that Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi said he drew a fine for his excessive celebration penalty during the 17-16 win. Massaquoi caught the winning touchdown, dropped down in the end zone and tight end Ben Watson jumped on top of him. Both going to the ground and having multiple players involved in a celebration are technically worthy of a flag, although former NFL officiating head Mike Periera thought the penalty was excessive.

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown got dinged for the same amount as Moore and Taylor for a low block during Sunday night’s 23-20 win over the Colts. The block occured on Joe Legefed’s interception of Ben Roethlisberger and Brown said that he was only trying to defend himself from a player on the Colts trying to block him. He told Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he’s thinking about appealing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-roundup/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/28/wednesday-fine-roundup/)

D Rock
09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
some of these fines are ridiculous. It's a penalty. Throw the flag and be done with it. I hate Goodell.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-29-2011, 10:44 AM
This just in.......

(Pittsburgh, PA) Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle Jonathan Scott revealed today that he was fined $5,000 from a play in last Sunday night's game against Indianapolis.

"I was fined for a holding penalty in the fourth quarter. I thought that it was a bit excessive, but the commissioner told me that since I also had a holding penalty in the second quarter that I am now considered a repeat offender."

When asked if he is planning on appealing this ridiculous fine, Mr. Scott replied "What's the #%$^$ point? This @!*#$ #^%!&* is judge, jury, and executioner. Why even waste a stamp on the appeal letter?"

Based on our projections going forward, according to Scott's play so far this season, and the expected escalation in fines for repeat offenses, Scott should expect to be fined about $1.7M out of his $800K salary this season.

Scott is listed as questionable for this week's matchup against the Houston Texans and their all-pro pass rusher Mario Williams. Scott was overheard praying that he would miss this game as it coincides with the month end and his mortgage payment is due, he could ill afford the amount that he would be fined following this matchup.

ikestops85
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM
This just in.......

(Pittsburgh, PA) Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle Jonathan Scott revealed today that he was fined $5,000 from a play in last Sunday night's game against Indianapolis.

"I was fined for a holding penalty in the fourth quarter. I thought that it was a bit excessive, but the commissioner told me that since I also had a holding penalty in the second quarter that I am now considered a repeat offender."

When asked if he is planning on appealing this ridiculous fine, Mr. Scott replied "What's the #%$^$ point? This @!*#$ #^%!&* is judge, jury, and executioner. Why even waste a stamp on the appeal letter?"

Based on our projections going forward, according to Scott's play so far this season, and the expected escalation in fines for repeat offenses, Scott should expect to be fined about $1.7M out of his $800K salary this season.

Scott is listed as questionable for this week's matchup against the Houston Texans and their all-pro pass rusher Mario Williams. Scott was overheard praying that he would miss this game as it coincides with the month end and his mortgage payment is due, he could ill afford the amount that he would be fined following this matchup.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/LOL/bwahahah_70.jpg

pittpete
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
holy crap thats some funny stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fezziwig
09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Get ready for NFL will soon stand for Need For Love . These guys will only be allowed to make contact with shaking hands at the end of the game.

Could also stand for National Fined League.

I'm surprised Farrior didn't get a fine with all the chicken **** stuff this league is doing.

I was a huge Santonio Holmes fan but I could not stand when he would point and drop the ball after every play. Now Antonio is doing that same crap.

hawaiiansteel
09-30-2011, 03:16 AM
Steelers' Brown has confidence vs. Texans

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 30, 2011

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/antonio-brown-092811.jpg

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown is feeling confident he can break a kick return for a touchdown against the Houston Texans on Sunday. He wouldn't say how or why, but he's feeling it.

"I have to be patient, then take advantage of my opportunities," Brown said. "Some teams give you better shots than others."

The Texans are ninth in the AFC in punt (9.0 yards) and kickoff (25.5) coverage. Brown is third in the AFC with 31.5 yards per kickoff return and averages 12.8 yards on punt returns.

The Texans have two electrifying returners in Danieal Manning and Jacoby Jones. Manning leads the AFC with 34.3 kickoff return average, and Jones is second in punt returns with 18.9 yards.

>> Defensive end Ziggy Hood is eager to prove the Steelers' run defense is better than its last outing against the Colts when it gave up 97 yards. With running back Arian Foster back in the Texans' lineup, the Steelers are likely to face a more balance offense.

"We have to be prepared for the run," Hood said. "They do a lot of things to catch you off balance, and Foster adds a different dimension. I expect them to give him a lot of touches."

>> Cornerback Ike Taylor will try to keep Houston receiver Andre Johnson from beating him deep. But linebacker Lawrence Timmons expects quarterback Matt Schaub to get Johnson the ball with screen passes.

"He's one of the best wide receivers, hands down," Timmons said. "He's difficult to get down on those screen plays."

Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau is largely concerned with Johnson dictating the game with big plays.

"When you play the great players, you're not going to shut them out," he said. "It's like defending a great scorer in basketball. You've got to keep them from dominating the game."

>> Running back Rashard Mendenhall isn't lobbying for a fullback or H-back, but he said an extra blocker would help the Steelers' paltry run game.

"It helps to have a fullback or H-back because they read and see things the way I do," Mendenhall said.

>> Guard Ramon Foster will replace the ailing Doug Legursky in the starting lineup against the Texans. Outside linebacker Mario Williams has drawn plenty of attention in the film room, but Foster has been impressed with rookie defensive end J.J. Watt, the 11th overall pick in this year's draft. "If we're solid technique-wise, we'll have some success running the ball," Foster said. The Texans, with new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, are adjusting from 4-3 defense to a 3-4.

>> Legursky (shoulder), receiver Arnaz Battle (knee), defensive end Brett Keisel (knee), defensive tackle Steve McLendon (illness) and offensive tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle) didn't practice yesterday. Mike Wallace said he'll be ready to go Sunday despite a minor rib injury.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ZPUCcr00 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_759479.html#ixzz1ZPUCcr00)

Pahn711
09-30-2011, 04:40 AM
This just in.......

Wasn't the man beat up enough in that game? Goodell is just being a bully now.

Also, in general, if an offensive lineman knows he is gonna get beat bad and holds to compensate, isn't that in the best interests of the safety of the quarterback?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
This just in.......

Also, in general, if an offensive lineman knows he is gonna get beat bad and holds to compensate, isn't that in the best interests of the safety of the quarterback?

Are you suggesting holding bonuses? Maybe Olinemen who hold should get a credit towards their next fine.

ikestops85
09-30-2011, 12:46 PM
This just in.......

You do realize that the Scott fine is a joke, right? :wink:

Pahn711
09-30-2011, 03:54 PM
You do realize that the Scott fine is a joke, right? :wink:

Hmm, I guess I need to work on my humorous writing tone :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
09-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised Farrior didn't get a fine with all the chicken bad word stuff this league is doing.

He did. :evil: http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18868

I was a huge Santonio Holmes fan but I could not stand when he would point and drop the ball after every play. Now Antonio is doing that same crap.

You can't take the Santonio out of the Antonio. :wink: