PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent OLinemen list

D Rock
09-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but I haven't seen any threads listing available free agents on the OLine.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features ... =OL&y=2011 (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2011)

According to KFFL, these guys are all FAs right now:

Vince Manuwai appears to still be available at OG. He was a starter for a bunch of really good Jacksonville running games. He's been around since 2003 and is 6'2" 333 lbs. Much bigger than Legursky.

Chester Pitts, 6'4" 308 OG who started for the Texans since 2002, but has only played in 2 and 7 games in 2009 and 2010 (2010 with the Seahawks)

Barry Sims, 6'5" 300 lb OT, long time starter for the Raiders and then the 49ers looks to be available.

Rich Seubert, 6'3" 310 OG, former starter for the Giants, who have been known to have pretty decent running games while he was there.

Jon Stinchcomb, 6'5" 315 lb OT, starter for the Saints from 2006-2010. This was during Drew Brees's huge years, so the dude has pass blocked plenty in his career.

Mark Tauscher, former OT for the Packers, 6'3" 316 lbs. Could he be worse than Scott?

Langston Walker, 6'8" 366 lbs OT. Played for the Raiders and Bills as a long time starter.

Seriously, these guys may be aging and have seen better days, but you don't stick around as a full time starter as long as these guys did without some hint of skill. They have got to be better options that Scott and Legursky, who will never be more than part time starters the rest of their careers.

steelerkeylargo
09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Was just getting ready to post a similar thread. I think Stinchcomb is the best of that list. I would take Flozell over the rest.

costanza2k1
09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
At this point I'm wondering why we wouldn't just try out Chris Scott? The man had promise right, can he be any worse than what we have. At this point they need to try anyone we have and keep them there and allow them to gel.

sentinel33
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Call up Stinchcomb and see how he is. A previous 2nd Rnd. pick, I bet the 32 year old still has some miles left on him-at least for the remainder of this season. The fact that he is a proven pass protector is appealing. :2c

D Rock
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Was just getting ready to post a similar thread. I think Stinchcomb is the best of that list. I would take Flozell over the rest.

I'm no guru on line play. I really know nothing about it.

Do any of these guys fit the Steelers scheme? Do you think any of them might have something left in the tank?

If Flozell isn't willing to lower his price, and if Stinchcomb isn't an option, do you think any of these guys listed or any other FAs might actually be a legitimate option?

fordfixer
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
At this point I'm wondering why we wouldn't just try out Chris Scott? The man had promise right, can he be any worse than what we have. At this point they need to try anyone we have and keep them there and allow them to gel.

Right now I think we should give you a shot I mean you couldn't do any worse. Could you?

steelerkeylargo
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Do any of these guys fit the Steelers scheme? Do you think any of them might have something left in the tank?

If Flozell isn't willing to lower his price, and if Stinchcomb isn't an option, do you think any of these guys listed or any other FAs might actually be a legitimate option?

I know we brought Pitts in last year for a workout. Walker is a big horse like Starks & Flozell, but would ratehr have the latter. Tauscher is ancient and injury prone. Meh...to the rest.

costanza2k1
09-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Right now I think we should give you a shot I mean you couldn't do any worse. Could you?

I'd have to have a ton of beers and a couple of morphine shot before I tried...

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2011, 01:22 PM

When I see some of the decisions by Chris Kemoeatu out there, I may wonder "is he drunk?" or "is he high?" Maybe his pregame ritual is also the ton of beers and a couple of morphine shots you suggest. After all, he does have a pretty impressive beer gut. :Cheers :Beer

steelblood
09-28-2011, 01:37 PM

The Steelers' line has a scheme?

D Rock
09-28-2011, 01:40 PM

The Steelers' line has a scheme?

Yeah they sure do, it goes a little something like this...pass defensive guys off to the player on your right or left, then look around confused when things go wrong.

And they are EXCELLENT at it!

papillon
09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Could the reason be salary cap related? Could the Steelers be at a point where they can't take on any more salary this year?

Pappy

costanza2k1
09-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Could the reason be salary cap related? Could the Steelers be at a point where they can't take on any more salary this year?

Pappy

I think it has everything to do with that, there aren't teams out there who are completely balanced. With the cheatriots you get a QB and an oline, with the Dolts you get Manning, Wayne, and Clark. We have more superstars than most, what suffers is our OL. Now drafting these guys is a crapshoot...breathe people this is September football. A month ago we were all dying in place cuz we might not have a season. I would rather watch MY team good or bad. The thirst for SBs was quenched after XL...I'm now in bonus rounds enjoying the game and watching some of the legendary players people with talk about for ages...Ben, Hines, Troy, etc...we are blessed.

fordfixer
09-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Pappy

I think it has everything to do with that, there aren't teams out there who are completely balanced. With the cheatriots you get a QB and an oline, with the Dolts you get Manning, Wayne, and Clark. We have more superstars than most, what suffers is our OL. Now drafting these guys is a crapshoot...breathe people this is September football. A month ago we were all dying in place cuz we might not have a season. I would rather watch MY team good or bad. The thirst for SBs was quenched after XL...I'm now in bonus rounds enjoying the game and watching some of the legendary players people with talk about for ages...Ben, Hines, Troy, etc...we are blessed.

:Agree

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Update On Flozell Adams & Max Starks

By: Mike Vukovcan
September 28, 2011 8:56 AM

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/flozell-adams.jpg?w=300

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- The Pittsburgh Steelers are in need of an offensive tackle but it won’t be Flozell Adams.

There’s a real simple reason for that: Adams wants too much money.

Adams, who was due to make $5 million this season before being released by the Steelers, is reportedly unwilling to play for anything less.

Aside from the price tag, the Steelers just don’t have the room under the salary cap to sign him. It’s believed the Steelers have less than a million under the cap to spend.

Unless the Steelers are willing to get very creative with the cap and Adams drops his demands, “The Hotel” isn’t coming back to Pittsburgh.

Another option at tackle appears to be ready to sign a deal.

KDKA-TV Sports believes that former Steeler tackle Max Starks is close to signing a contract with the Minnesota Vikings.

Starks worked out for the Vikings on Monday.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/09/ ... ams-starks (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/09/28/update-on-flozell-adams-and-max-starks/?utm_source=sports&utm_medium=dl&utm_campaign=update-on-adams-starks)

fordfixer
09-28-2011, 05:05 PM

O.K. you get sterted on the beer, and I'll check with Shawn on the shots. :tt1

D Rock
09-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Pappy

I'm sure it is salary cap related, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means a business decision, and a very tough one, will need to be made.

Cut Aaron Smith and you can sign an offensive lineman. Cut Aaron Smith and you just might protect your franchise QB. You got to the Super Bowl without him last year, and this year you have Cam Heyward as an increased depth player. The team will survive without him. But will Ben survive without a better OLine?

Like I said, it's a tough business decision for sure.

Slapstick
09-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Pappy

I'm sure it is salary cap related, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means a business decision, and a very tough one, will need to be made.

Cut Aaron Smith and you can sign an offensive lineman. Cut Aaron Smith and you just might protect your franchise QB. You got to the Super Bowl without him last year, and this year you have Cam Heyward as an increased depth player. The team will survive without him. But will Ben survive without a better OLine?

Like I said, it's a tough business decision for sure.

Smith's salary is now guaranteed since he was on the game 1 roster...

NJ-STEELER
09-28-2011, 05:58 PM
leonard davis?

grotonsteel
09-28-2011, 06:36 PM
[quote="hawaiiansteelKDKA-TV Sports believes that former Steeler tackle Max Starks is close to signing a contract with the Minnesota Vikings.

Starks worked out for the Vikings on Monday.

[/quote]

So Viqueens cut all-pro OT who was supposedly overweight and help ratbirds strengthen their O-line and now they are signing Starks who agains is supposedly overweight...Screw them...

Chadman
09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Isn't Nick Kuczur also available?

Given the 'crisis' the Steelers are currently facing, adding another OL player can't hurt. Stinchcomb would be nice, but he isn't necessarily the answer- he is, after all, a RT & not likely to solve the Jon Scott dilemma.

Why not just look at some of the more promising PS squad guys on other teams rosters, a la Jamon Meredith?

The OL is a long-term fix- may as well add some young, talented guys & hope we can patch together something.

I honestly believe Essex will be solid enough at LT- he has been every other time we've used him in that role. He's just not 'powerful', which holds him back at RT & RG. I thought Gilbert looked decent at LT too. And if the FO thinks Chris Scott is good enough to be on the roster- he's good enough to dress on gameday. Same with Ramon Foster. Might be time to deactivate guys like Battle on gameday & add extra OL bodies- keep them fresh, rotate them in, and you might get a few decent drives out of them.

Too early to panic- if I know only 1 thing about this organisation, it's that they are prepared more often than not. I'm sure that by mid year, we'll be seeing the line playing better.

Guess we can be thankful for the weak schedule...