PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace a member of the 2012 Patriots?

steelblood
09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Wallace is playing in the final season of his rookie contract. Next season, Wallace will be a restricted free agent. The Steelers will almost certainly tag him with highest tender which would give the Steelers a first and third round draft choice if the Steelers cannot match an offer from another team. The Steelers could put the franchise tag on Wallace. But, since the team is already an estimated 20-25 million dollars over the salary cap, such a move would place them in certain cap hell. So, it follows that the Steelers will assign the high tender and try to work out a long term contract.

So, the question becomes...Who would give up a 1st and a 3rd round draft choice and offer Wallace a contract the Steelers could not match? You can likely rule out anyone in the first half of the draft. Top 15 picks are very valuable. Any taker would likely have to come from the bottom of the first round of the 2012 draft.

Teams like Cleveland (who will have their pick likely in the middle of the round and Atlanta's a little later) and New England (who will have two late first rounders, theirs and New Orleans) would be teams with enough fire power to pull off the deal. Cleveland does not have much of a vertical passing game at this point. It would also be a public relations coup if they could steal a top player from their bitter division rivals. Cleveland will also have cap space to burn next season and could certainly outbid Pittsburgh.

At first glance, New England seems like a less likely destination. New England will have needs on defense while their offense seems like a juggernaut already. But, New England is always looking for a competitive advantage. Signing Wallace means that they would not have to face him in the playoffs. More importantly, it gives New England yet another level to their fantastic passing attack. Further, giving up the 30th the pick and the 94th pick (for example), would not be a huge loss for New England as they have another first rounder and multiple 2nd round picks. And, you can be sure that New England would also shrewdly construct a contract offer which the Steelers could not match.

Kevin Colbert has his work cut out for him. Unless he can sign Wallace to a contract before RFAs can negotiate with other teams, we may see Mike Wallace with another team in 2012. And, a team like the Patriots is a real possibility.

rpmpit
09-27-2011, 09:22 AM
If he starts acting up or gets arrested for any reason, he'll go to the Jets. Seems like that's where our talented, but troubled receivers end up.

Chadman
09-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I like Wallace, but a 1st and 3rd for him is pretty good compensation...

steelblood
09-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I like Wallace, but a 1st and 3rd for him is pretty good compensation...

I agreed at the beginning of the season. But, now I am starting to think that a late 1st and a late 3rd will not allow us to replace the value lost if Wallace goes elsewhere.

papillon
09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
The passing game has taken over football at all levels which means more and more athletes are gravitating to the wide receiver position. As the supply of quality WRs increases your position in the draft becomes less and less of a factor. A mid to late first round selection may not be any better than a mid to late second round selection.

The Steelers currently are running with 3 third round picks (Wallace, Ward and Sanders), a 6th (Brown), 4th (Cotchery when he gets healthy) and a 1st if you include Heath. The ability to replace one quality wide receiver with another is becoming easier and easier as the supply continues to expand.

A first and a third for Wallace, I'd probably take that right now. Having two mid to late 1st round picks is ideal, IMO, these players are typically very good, but don't command the money that the top half of the 1st round commands. The Steelers are going to have many needs as a football team after this year.

I'd hate to see him go, but the team would be better off with the picks IMO. They could use one as trade bait to get an established player to fill a need (not necessarily a WR, although trading away Wallace would leave WR as a need).

Pappy

steelblood
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
The passing game has taken over football at all levels which means more and more athletes are gravitating to the wide receiver position. As the supply of quality WRs increases your position in the draft becomes less and less of a factor. A mid to late first round selection may not be any better than a mid to late second round selection.

The Steelers currently are running with 3 third round picks (Wallace, Ward and Sanders), a 6th (Brown), 4th (Cotchery when he gets healthy) and a 1st if you include Heath. The ability to replace one quality wide receiver with another is becoming easier and easier as the supply continues to expand.

A first and a third for Wallace, I'd probably take that right now. Having two mid to late 1st round picks is ideal, IMO, these players are typically very good, but don't command the money that the top half of the 1st round commands. The Steelers are going to have many needs as a football team after this year.

I'd hate to see him go, but the team would be better off with the picks IMO. They could use one as trade bait to get an established player to fill a need (not necessarily a WR, although trading away Wallace would leave WR as a need).

Pappy

I don't know Pappy. We aren't talking about another decent starting receiver. We are talking about a superstar receiver. Replacing Wallace would be very difficult. Wallace is one of about 4 or 5 receivers in the league that cannot be covered by a single cornerback.

That said, this is a very deep WR draft. You may be right about many of the best athletes gravitating to the position. However, I disagree that an early 1st round pick is less valuable because of the money the pick commands. With the new rookie salary cap, an early 1st round pick is now a good value. Every draft is different. But, generally those top picks are often much better prospects (even though they don't always pan out).

Northern_Blitz
09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't know anything about college players in next years draft. But, let's say that the Pats (or someone else) wriggled Wallace away from us, and we use the 1st rounder to get a competent OT or OG and grab another WR with the 3rd rounder. Note: our scouts have been good at picking mid-round WRs lately. Maybe we get 2 competent OL in round 1, or package our 2 picks for an elite OT.

Would our O be better with:
(1) Sanders / Brown / Jerrico / 3rd rounder but an average to good OL OR
(2) Wallace / Sanders / Brown / Jerrico and the line we currently have?
I assume Ward retires after 1000 catches and another SB win in both cases.

I think I'd rather have Wallace, but (2) isn't a bad worst case scenario IMO.

MeetJoeGreene
09-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Nah. He is too much of a one trick pony for the Cheaters.

Shawn
09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I don't know anything about college players in next years draft. But, let's say that the Pats (or someone else) wriggled Wallace away from us, and we use the 1st rounder to get a competent OT or OG and grab another WR with the 3rd rounder. Note: our scouts have been good at picking mid-round WRs lately. Maybe we get 2 competent OL in round 1, or package our 2 picks for an elite OT.

That's not a great question...loaded if you ask me. You are assuming a first round draft pick would solidify our OL into an average to good OL...and unfortunately there are no guarantees of that.

Wallace is a known commodity. If Wallace came out in the draft today he would be a top 5 pick. He is looking more and more like a top 3 NFL WR. Is that worth a late first and late 3rd? IMO, it's a no brainer...heck no.

Honestly, I wouldn't take 2 late firsts for Wallace. People underestimated the importance Burress' role was with the O. When he left, our O stagnated. Wallace has that same effect of taking the top off of coverage and keeping safeties out of the box. Besides Ben, he is the most important O weapon we have.

fezziwig
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't know if the Steelers would break the bank for him and I do not recall the Steelers doing that for receivers in the past. As for getting another teams number 1 and 3 pick for him does not excite me.

How often do we get lucky enough to snatch a good number three player ? I know we got Aaron Smith in the fourth, Lamar Woodley in the second and so on but, that doesn't always happen so, the third round pick does not give much back to our team. As for the Steelers only getting a third and first round for a proven Wallace, I'd sooner keep him and figure the money problems out. That is what Colbert is getting paid for so, keep Wallace if he can. Antonio Brown and Sanders might impress our front office enough with believing that, Wallace is expendable but, I don't think so.

ikestops85
09-27-2011, 06:43 PM

That's not a great question...loaded if you ask me. You are assuming a first round draft pick would solidify our OL into an average to good OL...and unfortunately there are no guarantees of that.

Wallace is a known commodity. If Wallace came out in the draft today he would be a top 5 pick. He is looking more and more like a top 3 NFL WR. Is that worth a late first and late 3rd? IMO, it's a no brainer...heck no.

Honestly, I wouldn't take 2 late firsts for Wallace. People underestimated the importance Burress' role was with the O. When he left, our O stagnated. Wallace has that same effect of taking the top off of coverage and keeping safeties out of the box. Besides Ben, he is the most important O weapon we have.

Didn't we win the SB the year after Burress left? Hmmm ...

Northern_Blitz
09-27-2011, 08:21 PM

As I said, I'd rather keep Wallace.

But, if he's going to leave getting a 1st and a 3rd isn't a bad deal because the young guys we've selected at WR seem to be doing well and we have needs at other positions. Although early OL are not guarenteed, I don't think it would take much to improve at LT, LG, or RG on this teamm and getting to average isn't exactly a tall order. I think OL also have the lowest bust rate in the first round.

My guess is that no one would pony up the price for a RFA tender because the price is too high. The only team I could see doing it would be the Pats because they always seem to have 2-3 picks in each of the frist three rounds every year.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-27-2011, 09:46 PM
The reality is this... We will not be afford Wallace long term without hindering our talent other positions. The salary cap just won't allow it.

So that means we either lose Wallace to free agency and get a 3rd round comp pick. Or trade him early and get (probably) two 1st rounders. I think we can get some team in the NFC to give us two first round picks for Wallace. And I think we should take it. Look at what Atlanta gave up to get Julio Jones (and he was unproven).

If we get two first rounders plus our own first rounder, that restores our OL for the next 8 years. You give Colbert 3 first rounders on OL and we will have 3-4 potential pro-bowlers. You can get a solid OT, and two all-pro OG's. That gives us Pouncey plus two "rocks" on either side. Plus two solid bookends on the outside. That protects Ben for the rest of his career.

And the way we've been drafting middle round WR's lately we might still get a nice gem to replace him.

Scarletfire1970
09-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I don't think the pats would pay big for a wr. Since when have they ever done that? They seem to get free agents on the cheap. If Wallace leaves we will have a hard time replacing him. It is a passing league and it is about time we start spending $on the offense.

Starlifter
09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
draft picks are nice - but they are a crapshoot. wallace is a known quantity and he is a game changer. pay the man, lock him up for the next 5 years. we DO get new draft picks every year..... :tt2

Shawn
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
draft picks are nice - but they are a crapshoot. wallace is a known quantity and he is a game changer. pay the man, lock him up for the next 5 years. we DO get new draft picks every year..... :tt2

$$$

sentinel33
09-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I have faith in Colbert and Kahn. I doubt they have overlooked Wallace while dishing out all of the contracts this year. I expect to see alot of familiar faces gone next year with Smith, Farrior and Ward being a few of them.(but not the only ones)

But if it is undoable, then getting a 1st and a 3rd is huge for a team that knows how to draft. To me, having 5 picks in the top 100 selections means a better offensive line for Ben along with a WR and a LB and S/CB for the defense. And we still would have 4 more picks.

Sanders, Brown and Cotchery plus a veteran along with a good rookie and Miller and Saunders. I'm down with that.

But not to the Patriots*. To an NFC team, sure. But not to the Cheats.

And personally, not ever. I love the Wallace/Roethlisberger hookup.

We'll see.

Sonny
09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Everytime we get Ben a a top notch, deep threat receiver, we let him go. We got extremely lucky having Wallace come in for Santonio. This kid may turn out to be the best receiver in Steelers history, and since we already have our best QB, we need to keep this tandem for the rest of Ben's career, in this new "passing league".

Kid is an absolute stud.

Shawn
09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Everytime we get Ben a a top notch, deep threat receiver, we let him go. We got extremely lucky having Wallace come in for Santonio. This kid may turn out to be the best receiver in Steelers history, and since we already have our best QB, we need to keep this tandem for the rest of Ben's career, in this new "passing league".

Kid is an absolute stud.

Sonny you are a wise man. Pay the man his money. If they chose to keep some of these over the hill vets over Wallace I think I would be ill.

tiproast
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Would love to see Wallace on the Pats. But doubt it will happen - Belichick will spend up to a 2nd round pick for a skill position guy, but almost always the first round picks go to o-line or d-line. (Maroney was an aberration, and I doubt that particular type of mistake will be repeated any time soon.)

NJ-STEELER
09-29-2011, 03:06 AM
currently NE is first in offense and last in defense in league rankings.

why would they do this again?

papillon
09-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Would love to see Wallace on the Pats. But doubt it will happen - Belichick will spend up to a 2nd round pick for a skill position guy, but almost always the first round picks go to o-line or d-line. (Maroney was an aberration, and I doubt that particular type of mistake will be repeated any time soon.)

You had Randy Moss and that didn't work out so well for the Pats. Wallace should probably just stay in Pittsburgh and not get Pat's fans too excited. :D

Pappy

tiproast
09-29-2011, 08:31 AM
currently NE is first in offense and last in defense in league rankings.

why would they do this again?
I don't think the plan is to finish last in the defensive rankings.

But with Belichick spending all his time reading the Jets message boards, the defense is struggling. :D

SidSmythe
09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Players That Won't be Steelers next year
- Aaron Smith
- James Farrior
- Hines Ward

There's ur money to pay Wallace (notice Wallace is not on that list)