PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one bothered by the FG/Timeout issue?

D Rock
09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Tomlin has stated in his presser that he called the timeout at 8 seconds so they could have another chance to kick the FG if something went wrong with the snap.

He also used his 3rd timeout to do that, leaving himself no TO's if something really did go wrong, and also giving the other team one more chance to win the game.

I posted this in another thread and no one responded to it. Am I the only one bothered that the head coach is unaware of the time out situation of his team at the most crucial part of the game?

SteelTorch
09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Tomlin has stated in his presser that he called the timeout at 8 seconds so they could have another chance to kick the FG if something went wrong with the snap.

He also used his 3rd timeout to do that, leaving himself no TO's if something really did go wrong, and also giving the other team one more chance to win the game.

I posted this in another thread and no one responded to it. Am I the only one bothered that the head coach is unaware of the time out situation of his team at the most crucial part of the game?
I too was dumbfounded by that move. :wft

Okay, so he does that in case "something goes wrong", but how often does that happen? And what if something goes wrong on the kickoff return or that last pass attempt by the Colts and costs us the game? I don't know, still seemed like a dumb move to me. :?

Chavezz
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
We benefited from that once though. It was a while ago, we kicked a FG, it was blocked, we recovered it and was able to kick it again because the ball didn't cross the scrimmage line.

Anyone remember the particulars? Crash, you lurking out there?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-26-2011, 08:02 PM
We benefited from that once though. It was a while ago, we kicked a FG, it was blocked, we recovered it and was able to kick it again because the ball didn't cross the scrimmage line.

I don't remember that, but without TOs left you'd also have to get out of bounds to make that happen.

RuthlessBurgher
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM

I don't remember that, but without TOs left you'd also have to get out of bounds to make that happen.

Or throw an incomplete pass.

SteelBucks
09-27-2011, 10:43 AM

You got the details right. It was against the Browns about ten years ago....never heard of that rule in my life.

proudpittsburgher
09-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Or throw an incomplete pass.

We've tried the "run the field goal team out there and get them in position" before, and then when they are set, wait to snap the ball until there are 7 or 8 seconds left. That would keep your timeout if anything went wrong. But I never liked it. I would rather use the timeout and let the FG team go through their regular progressions and practice strokes for the kicker. What I AM dumbfounded by is Coach Tomlin's use of the challenge. Or better yet, when he fails to use it. I am a huge Tomlin supporter, but this is by far his weakest asset as a head coach. I know he relies on the booth, but his challenge in week 1, after the coaches had time to look it over dumbfounded me since the call was clearl;y correct on the field. The against Indy, he didn't challenge the spot of the ball on a first down completion for Indy late and it waws clear the reciever was short of the mark.

Northern_Blitz
09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I was a bit concerned about it at the time of the call. BUT, I forgot about the new Kick Off position. My level of cecern dropped significantly after I saw us kick the ball out the back of the EZ.

Without the possibility of a kickoff return, there isn't much chance of scoring from your own 20 with 4 seconds left.

I think this was a good example of Tomlin using the new rules to limit the probability of a loss.

D Rock
09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I was a bit concerned about it at the time of the call. BUT, I forgot about the new Kick Off position. My level of cecern dropped significantly after I saw us kick the ball out the back of the EZ.

Without the possibility of a kickoff return, there isn't much chance of scoring from your own 20 with 4 seconds left.

I think this was a good example of Tomlin using the new rules to limit the probability of a loss.

Either way, you need to convert a FG. I think I would rather take one attempt at the FG, and go to overtime if there is an issue, and not give the other team any chance to touch the ball again in regulation.

steelsnis
09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Tomlin admitted the mistake in his PC today. From Dale Lolley's blog:

© One mistake Tomlin did acknowledge today was his timeout with eight seconds remaining prior to Shaun Suisham's game-winning field goal.

Tomlin thought he had another timeout remaining - in case of a botched snap - but he forgot he lost a timeout when Scott was injured with less than two minutes remaining.

chiken
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
c'mon guys.. There are many more things in that game to be bothered about.

D Rock
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM

Really? A coach not knowing the game situation is a pretty big deal.

ikestops85
09-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Really? A coach not knowing the game situation is a pretty big deal.

:Agree

I'm a big Tomlin fan but a HC not knowing how many time outs he has has me kinda worried. I mean that is sorta taught in coaching 101.

fordfixer
09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you call a time out if you don't have one isn't it a penalty?

Chavezz
09-27-2011, 08:16 PM

You got the details right. It was against the Browns about ten years ago....never heard of that rule in my life.

Good to know I'm not crazy. LOL When they made that call I remember looking at the group and not having a clue what was going on.

Northern_Blitz
09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you call a time out if you don't have one isn't it a penalty?

And they probably run time off the clock, so the game would likely end.