PDA

View Full Version : Time to Hang up the Cleats........

SidSmythe
09-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Time to Hang up the Cleats Aaron Smith & James Farrior.

Smitty just isn't Smitty and Farrior was out of the game half the night ... these men are old and tired and Farrior will be 210 lbs. come December.

Then this offseason it's time for Hines Ward to step down and give Mike Wallace his money.

TD386Steel
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I think so to. :(

Shoe
09-26-2011, 08:50 PM
This year, Dallas (new staff) has held everyone accountable. As a result, they cut complacent, worn-out, &/or fatmen Leonard Davis, Roy Williams, Marion Barber. If they didn't cut you (Brooking), they replaced you with a younger guy (Sean Lee).

Part of it is our success (if it ain't "broke", don't fix it), but in terms of our team, anyone who watches regularly will say that things just don't look right, and they're worried. We need to replace old blood with new: Bench Farrior, bench Smith. It is a bit of scapegoating too I suppose, but bottom line: we need energy and spunk in our team.

SteelCrazy
09-26-2011, 08:58 PM
We're 2-1 and have played poorly for a Steelers team. The OL is a concern and at times the D looks a little out of sorts but I think we need to stick to the agenda and not freak out, just yet. Lets see where we are at come week 8.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I have said the same thing about Aaron many times, if only for his 4 1/2 million could help us get Wallace re-signed immediately. But, playing devils advocate, m aybe Smith is just getting his sea legs back, just like Harrison is. Remember, Smith is coming off a long layoff, and one where he could not even see the rehab people in Pittsburgh, and where there were no off season workouts. If we were getting CRUSHED Defensively, I might agree. But people, these two guys are part of our defensive core, a core which is 2nd overall in Defense, and 1st overall in pass defense, and 10th in run defense. And overall, we are allowing less yards per game right now then we did last season. And almost 70 yards better in pass defense. And thats a area we ALL seemed to whine about the past 2 years.

So maybe a little slack here is warrented.

isonator07
09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Not to sound like a douche, but I don't see the point in waiting till week 8. We have seen a huge dropoff in Smitty. The injuries the last 2 years look like they are too much to overcome at his age. He's getting pushed around every week. I didn't get why we didn't IR him last year, and I don't get why he is taking snaps from our young guys.

I understand that Cam is young and doesn't have the system down yet, but I think its time to find out how fast this kid can learn. Look if he struggles we know we can throw Smitty back out there. The colts should never run on us like that. What happens when we face a team with a stud RB?

isonator07
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I have said the same thing about Aaron many times, if only for his 4 1/2 million could help us get Wallace re-signed immediately. But, playing devils advocate, m aybe Smith is just getting his sea legs back, just like Harrison is. Remember, Smith is coming off a long layoff, and one where he could not even see the rehab people in Pittsburgh, and where there were no off season workouts. If we were getting CRUSHED Defensively, I might agree. But people, these two guys are part of our defensive core, a core which is 2nd overall in Defense, and 1st overall in pass defense, and 10th in run defense. And overall, we are allowing less yards per game right now then we did last season. And almost 70 yards better in pass defense. And thats a area we ALL seemed to whine about the past 2 years.

We played the Colts and Seahawks though. Those stats are misleading.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Then you can say the same thing for EVERY NFL team. All we can do is play who they have in front of them. I mean we beat a Seattle team that just beat Arizona, Arizona who beat Carolina, and a Carolina team that really SHOULD have won, and outplayed Green Bay ????

So what point are you making again :Blah :Blah :Blah

ramblinjim
09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok, how many points did our D give up last night? 7? 10? I'm the first person to start throwing stuff at the TV set but throwing out the best 3-4 DE end in history and one of the best 3-4 ILB's when we are 2-1 and only had one truly bad game?

So far, our D is not the problem here. Our Offensive line is frankly, oh-fen-sive.

isonator07
09-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Then you can say the same thing for EVERY NFL team. All we can do is play who they have in front of them. I mean we beat a Seattle team that just beat Arizona, Arizona who beat Carolina, and a Carolina team that really SHOULD have won, and outplayed Green Bay ????

Im not gonna get in a clap to the face contest with you, because I've seen you go for hours with that stuff. My point is, if we were playing even average teams we would not be ranked 2nd overall in defense.

Statistics aside, do you think we have the 2nd best defense in the NFL right now?

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok, how many points did our D give up last night? 7? 10? I'm the first person to start throwing stuff at the TV set but throwing out the best 3-4 DE end in history and one of the best 3-4 ILB's when we are 2-1 and only had one truly bad game?

So far, our D is not the problem here. Our Offensive line is frankly, oh-fen-sive.

Thank you Jim. O-Line has been the cause of 99 % of our turnovers, and the reason why our defense has given up some of the points that they have. Not saying that maybe we shouldn't release Smith or Farrior IF our defense wasn't doing okay, or if we were 0-3,,,,but we aren't. So why panic after 3 weeks ?

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Im not gonna get in a clap to the face contest with you, because I've seen you go for hours with that stuff. My point is, if we were playing even average teams we would not be ranked 2nd overall in defense.

Statistics aside, do you think we have the 2nd best defense in the NFL right now?

Considering everything...Yes! I do. I mean who's better ?..Green Bay :lol: ....the Patriots :lol: :lol: ....And please don't embarrass yourself by saying either Baltimore or Detroit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

isonator07
09-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Considering everything...Yes! I do. I mean who's better ?..Green Bay :lol: ....the Patriots :lol: :lol: ....And please don't embarrass yourself by saying either Baltimore or Detroit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll check back with you after we play some better offensive teams. I hope to be wrong. I just find it disturbing to see Joseph Addai @ 5.1 per without Manning, when hes a career 4.1 guy with Manning.

I completely agree that our offensive line is by far the biggest problem on our team. I just feel our run defense looks like its lost a little so far as well. If we gave up 5.1 per to AP or McCoy i'd be less worried.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
I'll check back with you after we play some better offensive teams. I hope to be wrong. I just find it disturbing to see Joseph Addai @ 5.1 per without Manning, when hes a career 4.1 guy with Manning.

I completely agree that our offensive line is by far the biggest problem on our team. I just feel our run defense looks like its lost a little so far as well. If we gave up 5.1 per to AP or McCoy i'd be less worried.[/quote]

Our run defense has been a bit lagging yes. But consider that Aaron is not up to speed as of yet. And Brett was out yesterday, you don't think that makes a difference ? And besides, what has it hurt ? We are 2-1 son. Dallas LEADS the NFL in fewest rushing yards allowed at 59 a game, is it because their Defensive Line " ROCKS " ? Or because they have played two teams who had major rushing issues ? And Dallas SHOULD be 0-2, and would be if it weren't for some stupid coaching by San Fran's coaches. So what has that GREAT Run defense brought them ? I mean who won the Super Bowl last year ?....Green Bay right. They were 2nd ranked overall in defense right behind us, and were first in pass defense, and tied for most sacks with us as well. But their Run Defense gave up 126 Yds a game, and even MORE in their playoff games....our run defense is allowing 99 yards a game right now,,,WAY BELOW what Green Bay allowed, and they WON the Super Bowl.....are you starting to get it now ?

Yes 3 games is too early to evaluate a overall defense I agree. Which is exactly why maybe we shouldn't be evaluating either Aaron or Farrior this early as well.

isonator07
09-26-2011, 10:18 PM

I completely agree that our offensive line is by far the biggest problem on our team. I just feel our run defense looks like its lost a little so far as well. If we gave up 5.1 per to AP or McCoy i'd be less worried.

Our run defense has been a bit lagging yes. But consider that Aaron is not up to speed as of yet. And Brett was out yesterday, you don't think that makes a difference ? And besides, what has it hurt ? We are 2-1 son. Dallas LEADS the NFL in fewest rushing yards allowed at 59 a game, is it because their Defensive Line " ROCKS " ? Or because they have played two teams who had major rushing issues ? And Dallas SHOULD be 0-2, and would be if it weren't for some stupid coaching by San Fran's coaches. So what has that GREAT Run defense brought them ? I mean who won the Super Bowl last year ?....Green Bay right. They were 2nd ranked overall in defense right behind us, and were first in pass defense, and tied for most sacks with us as well. But their Run Defense gave up 126 Yds a game, and even MORE in their playoff games....our run defense is allowing 99 yards a game right now,,,WAY BELOW what Green Bay allowed, and they WON the Super Bowl.....are you starting to get it now ?

Yes 3 games is too early to evaluate a overall defense I agree. Which is exactly why maybe we shouldn't be evaluating either Aaron or Farrior this early as well.

Not really, I'll just wait and see. I can't say im less concerned. Our defense looks weaker than years past to me.

Djfan
09-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I was calling for the release of Smith last year after his injury. I love the guy and what he was to this team, but there comes a time.....

Problem was that I was the lone voice on this, so I shut up.

I give Ward more time, though. He still has hands and toughness IMO. Give Ben at least a C grade line and Ward gets more touches.

Farrior is one of my all time favorite Steelers. It will be a sad day at the DJ home when he is gone.

feltdizz
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I was calling for the release of Smith last year after his injury. I love the guy and what he was to this team, but there comes a time.....

Problem was that I was the lone voice on this, so I shut up.

I give Ward more time, though. He still has hands and toughness IMO. Give Ben at least a C grade line and Ward gets more touches.

Farrior is one of my all time favorite Steelers. It will be a sad day at the DJ home when he is gone.

You weren't the only one....

When I mentioned it I was hit with the "even if he can't go he deserves to go out on his terms"

Makes no sense to me, I appreciate what he has done but he has missed a ton of games and it looks like his body is broke. He missed the preseason due to a bad knee. Wonder if that is still an issue?

Slapstick
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
The solution isn't to cut Smith...the solution is to play Hood and Heyward more...

Because Keisel is hurt, Hood is already starting on the other side of the line...because Heyward is only going to play in his 4th NFL game, they Coach Mitchell may not feel comfortable giving him more action...

Smith is in the last year of his contract...I seriously doubt he will be back in a black helmet next year...

feltdizz
09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
The solution isn't to cut Smith...the solution is to play Hood and Heyward more...

Because Keisel is hurt, Hood is already starting on the other side of the line...because Heyward is only going to play in his 4th NFL game, they Coach Mitchell may not feel comfortable giving him more action...

Smith is in the last year of his contract...I seriously doubt he will be back in a black helmet next year...

:Agree

Smith should be coming off the bench..

Djfan
09-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Maybe this year. We need his cap room for other positions.

feltdizz
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM

I was amazed... heck, even Aaron was amazed that the FO didn't ask him to restructure. He said he was willing.

SidSmythe
09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Well since they aren't going to get cut ...... I see younger guys getting more playing time in their place. Our run defense was dominant, it's not dominant this year (so far)

phillyesq
09-28-2011, 05:24 PM

If he's cut this year, he can take his salary as termination pay (and he'd be foolish not to) and he will still count against the cap.

There is no cap savings to cutting Aaron Smith this year.

Slapstick
09-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Since Aaron was on the roster for game 1, his salary is guaranteed for the entire year, regardless of whether or not he is on the team...

NJ-STEELER
09-28-2011, 06:00 PM
plus

i dont think you caN RESTRUCTURE someone going into his last year

Djfan
09-29-2011, 09:55 AM

If he's cut this year, he can take his salary as termination pay (and he'd be foolish not to) and he will still count against the cap.

There is no cap savings to cutting Aaron Smith this year.

I know it's too late for this year, but please for goodness sake, next year. He'll be older than Madden soon. Time to say thanks, but goodbye.

feltdizz
09-29-2011, 04:03 PM
plus

i dont think you caN RESTRUCTURE someone going into his last year

pay cut is the correct term. I think Aaron said he expected the FO to approach him about a pay cut and he was willing but it didn't happen.. and he said he was surprised by it.

Another gift for the most under rated DE in football.