PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing stat about our running game/run defense:

SteelTorch
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Steelers: 79 rush attempts for 3.3 YPC.

Opponents: 65 rush attempts for 4.6 YPC.

Our opponents are running the ball better on us than we are against them. Yeah, it's only three games, yadda yadda, but this is concerning nonetheless. :?

Steelerphile
09-26-2011, 06:26 PM
The Steelers definitely won't have a top 3 defense this year. Even the years the defense wasn't top three overall, they were almost always top 3 against the run. It is a little strange seeing running backs get yardage consistently against the Steelers. I personally don't expect any major improvements because the older players will be nicked up and injured as the season progresses, and become less effective, not more.

Steelerphile
09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I decided to test my theory and look at NFL stats after this, thinking the Steelers would be ranked rather low defensively and found they are sitting at Number 2 overall in the NFL. The defense hasn't seemed that good. Maybe we are overreacting.

Discipline of Steel
09-26-2011, 06:39 PM
On the bright side....

Since we are going to end up with better defensive run stats at the end of the year, we can only expect better performances than the ones we have seen. Maybe this is the 2-4 game transition that might occur when a promising young defensive lineman or two start taking a majority of the snaps at that position.

Offensively, I would prefer to be enamored with the off line as opposed to a fleet of WRs.

NorthCoast
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Could it be the new non-enforcement of the "chop-block" on DL? Regardless of whether it is legal or not, the fact is Hampton is being targeted and taken down by these plays in the past two games. Would you play as hard and push as hard on an O lineman if you knew some other guy was going to block you at the knees? No way,... I would be thinking about how I can save my knees from being shredded for the season.

Oviedo
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Could it be the new non-enforcement of the "chop-block" on DL? Regardless of whether it is legal or not, the fact is Hampton is being targeted and taken down by these plays in the past two games. Would you play as hard and push as hard on an O lineman if you knew some other guy was going to block you at the knees? No way,... I would be thinking about how I can save my knees from being shredded for the season.

Let's see how our Defensive Coord adjusts his scheme to counteract that. My bet is we will role out the same template every game.

SteelAbility
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I decided to test my theory and look at NFL stats after this, thinking the Steelers would be ranked rather low defensively and found they are sitting at Number 2 overall in the NFL. The defense hasn't seemed that good. Maybe we are overreacting.

I'm guessing that having faced two completely inept offenses has something to do with being #2.

msp26505
09-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Let's see how our Defensive Coord adjusts his scheme to counteract that. My bet is we will role out the same template every game.

Your hatred of Lebeau is palpable.

While the D has some issues, the bigger problems are on the other side of the line.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm guessing that having faced two completely inept offenses has something to do with being #2.
$$$$$

ramblinjim
09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
When his career is all said and done, we as Steeler fans are going to look back and see a man with two super bowl rings as a Defensive Coordinator and five total super bowl appearances (I think, wasn't he the DC when Cincinatti went to the Superbowl, I could be wrong) and we are going to laugh at ourselves for thinking that the man who could well be the best defensive coordinator of all time could not change things up or make adjustments.

I watch the NFL, I love watching he LB'ers b/c that's the position this arm chair warrior played when I was in high school and I am the first drunken idiot to throw stuff at my tv set. But we sit back today and say "yeah but this..." and "yeah but that..." and we have no idea what is going on in those meeting rooms and on the sidelines.

Yes, we have the #2 Defense in the league. They shut out the Seahawks, who aren't very good. They played well against the Colts, who are not very good but those stats also reflect the crap kicking they took from Baltimore (that also beat up on the "emerging" Rams team).

If we are going to scream at anyone, let's gripe about the O-line and our inability to run the football or protect a $100M quarterback. But Lebeau? "come on man".

ramblinjim
09-26-2011, 09:42 PM
and Torch, I've been drinking so please take all that with a grain of salt. ~ RamblinJim

SteelTorch
09-27-2011, 08:07 AM
and Torch, I've been drinking so please take all that with a grain of salt. ~ RamblinJim
Noted, I'm familiar enough with the effects of ethanol on the body. :)

And this isn't me singling out LeBeau or the defense. It's both sides of the ball I'm looking at. I love DL and think he's an excellent defensive coordinator. Sure, he's not perfect, but honestly how many coaches are?

You'll never hear me say that running the ball well is more important than passing the ball well in this age. The reason I brought it up is because it I felt it was a disappointing reflection on a team that, historically, has prided itself on being able to run the ball and stop the run.

feltdizz
09-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Noted, I'm familiar enough with the effects of ethanol on the body. :)

And this isn't me singling out LeBeau or the defense. It's both sides of the ball I'm looking at. I love DL and think he's an excellent defensive coordinator. Sure, he's not perfect, but honestly how many coaches are?

You'll never hear me say that running the ball well is more important than passing the ball well in this age. The reason I brought it up is because it I felt it was a disappointing reflection on a team that, historically, has prided itself on being able to run the ball and stop the run.

I think we set the pride aside a while ago when we started fielding these horrible OL's.

Oviedo
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM

While the D has some issues, the bigger problems are on the other side of the line.

Please. Get off the "he's always picking on poor Coach LeBeau" and rushing to his defense. Our defense is crumbling because of inflexibility. Quote all the stats you want but we have an obviously ready to retire Aaron Smith starting because of past contributions not current performance. We are taking Farrior, our defensive captain, out of the game in critical situations for a journeyman LB like Foote while young players stagnate on the sidelines because they haven't been deemed smart enough yet after two years plus in some cases. Our DBs are still giving up 10 yard cushions that are consistently exploited by any better than average QB.

The issues on the offensive side of the ball are because of the OL getting devastated with injuries. LeBeau has no such excuse but so many bury their heads and ignore the trends that been consistently appearing for the past few years with no adjustments whatsoever. No one ever accused Arians of being a genius but LeBeau is a legend and genius and he continually gets a pass no matter how poorly the defense performs.

So go ahead and just keep on accusing me of being mean to old people and make excuses for our defense. We'll see how the season plays out. But I'm sure the offense will get blamed for whatever happens and then Tomlin and then Colbert.

SteelTorch
09-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Please. Get off the "he's always picking on poor Coach LeBeau" and rushing to his defense. Our defense is crumbling because of inflexibility. Quote all the stats you want but we have an obviously ready to retire Aaron Smith starting because of past contributions not current performance. We are taking Farrior, our defensive captain, out of the game in critical situations for a journeyman LB like Foote while young players stagnate on the sidelines because they haven't been deemed smart enough yet after two years plus in some cases. Our DBs are still giving up 10 yard cushions that are consistently exploited by any better than average QB.

The issues on the offensive side of the ball are because of the OL getting devastated with injuries. LeBeau has no such excuse but so many bury their heads and ignore the trends that been consistently appearing for the past few years with no adjustments whatsoever. No one ever accused Arians of being a genius but LeBeau is a legend and genius and he continually gets a pass no matter how poorly the defense performs.

So go ahead and just keep on accusing me of being mean to old people and make excuses for our defense. We'll see how the season plays out. But I'm sure the offense will get blamed for whatever happens and then Tomlin and then Colbert.
You're a hypocrite in the worst sense. You claim everyone "makes excuses" for LeBeau, but all you do is make excuses for Bruce Arians year after year. I don't know, maybe you know the guy. All I do know is that your reasons are so laughable, it's impossible to take you seriously at all.

Oviedo
09-27-2011, 03:00 PM

You're a hypocrite in the worst sense. You claim everyone "makes excuses" for LeBeau, but all you do is make excuses for Bruce Arians year after year. I don't know, maybe you know the guy. All I do know is that your reasons are so laughable, it's impossible to take you seriously at all.

I could care less about Arians. I have said before he has probably taken this offense as far as he can. He is not taking them to the level they are capable of so like I said in another post Tomlin should be looking for new Coordinators on BOTH sides of the ball.

Discipline of Steel
09-27-2011, 05:56 PM
For all of you who portend the imminent fall of D!ck LeBeau and the Steelers Defense, you sound like the Chicken Little Society. Cheerfully clucking away, 'did you see that run', 'their rookie looks like Bart Starr', and the ever famous, 'cant he see thats a 10 yard cushion?'
"We are doomed!"

It almost sounds anti-LeBeau and to me that sounds anti-Steeler. Maybe he has a reason for giving that 10 yard cushion that is beyond our current comprehension. Thats his approach and apparently its still working. What do the stats say? We are 2nd in total D, 1st in PASSING D, 6th against the run, 7th in scoring D, and 4th in TOP. Might i remind, last year we were 1st overall. So for the last 19 reagular season games our D has been either first or second overall. That 19 weeks represents more than a year where i have been listening to all this anti-LeBeau sentiments. The entire time we have been on top, we have been on the verge of total failure...and every week, this is definately the week. haha Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the continuous weeping over our poor defense sounds RIDONKULOUS!

ikestops85
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
For all of you who portend the imminent fall of D!ck LeBeau and the Steelers Defense, you sound like the Chicken Little Society. Cheerfully clucking away, 'did you see that run', 'their rookie looks like Bart Starr', and the ever famous, 'cant he see thats a 10 yard cushion?'
"We are doomed!"

It almost sounds anti-LeBeau and to me that sounds anti-Steeler. Maybe he has a reason for giving that 10 yard cushion that is beyond our current comprehension. Thats his approach and apparently its still working. What do the stats say? We are 2nd in total D, 1st in PASSING D, 6th against the run, 7th in scoring D, and 4th in TOP. Might i remind, last year we were 1st overall. So for the last 19 reagular season games our D has been either first or second overall. That 19 weeks represents more than a year where i have been listening to all this anti-LeBeau sentiments. The entire time we have been on top, we have been on the verge of total failure...and every week, this is definately the week. haha Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the continuous weeping over our poor defense sounds RIDONKULOUS!

Minor correction DOS ... last year we were first in run defense and second overall. Maybe chicken little is right. :roll: We are obviously slipping. :lol: :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-27-2011, 10:04 PM

This is a case where stats can be very misleading. In this case it is due to turnovers and facing Tarvaris Jackson, Kerry Collins, and some guy who is a Painter.

Against Indy, one TO gave them the ball at midfield, one at the Pittsburgh 12, and one went for a TD and gave the ball back to the Steelers. Indy put up 20 points on only 241 net yards and lost on a last second FG.

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM

This is a case where stats can be very misleading. In this case it is due to turnovers and facing Tarvaris Jackson, Kerry Collins, and some guy who is a Painter.

Against Indy, one TO gave them the ball at midfield, one at the Pittsburgh 12, and one went for a TD and gave the ball back to the Steelers. Indy put up 20 points on only 241 net yards and lost on a last second FG.

And yet, even with our offense handing the other team the ball an absurd 10 times in 3 games, we are still 7th in the league in scoring defense.

Sonny
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Steelers: 79 rush attempts for 3.3 YPC.

Opponents: 65 rush attempts for 4.6 YPC.

Our opponents are running the ball better on us than we are against them. Yeah, it's only three games, yadda yadda, but this is concerning nonetheless. :?Anyone have Green Bay's stats from last season? They were weak on both sides. I know we had one of the best run defenses of all time.

The days of "you have to run and stop the run to win a Super Bowl" I think are about done.

BUT, it would be nice to be able to run out the clock in the 4th quarter. That is what pisses me off about the SB. We knew the Packers were going to throw for their first downs and they still got it.

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
The fuel light is on

Rashard Mendenhall and the Steelers rushing attack appear to be out of gas as the ground game has come to a screeching halt

Tuesday, September 27, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201109/pd14steelers092511_500.jpg

The Steelers, led by Rashard Mendenhall's meager 37 yards, had 67 yards against Indianapolis.

Above all else, the Steelers have been consistent in their proficiency in two general aspects of playing football through the years. They know how to play defense, and they can run on offense.

That is why their inability to generate much in their running game this season has come as a surprise. There was little sign that Rashard Mendenhall, who has run for 2,381 yards the past two seasons, would have such trouble through the first three games.

Consider what offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said about Mendenhall a few days before the Steelers opened the season in Baltimore.

"That's our lead dog," Arians said that Thursday after practice. "Everybody wants to talk about the wideouts and everybody else. Our lead dog is Rashard. We're going into the game with Rashard as the lead dog and everybody else feeds off of him."

Well, in the dog-eat-dog world of the NFL, they're having Mendenhall and the Steelers ground game for lunch.

It began in Baltimore when the Ravens held the Steelers to 66 yards rushing. That could be explained away by it being the Ravens defense and as it being just one of those days. They then ran for 124 yards against Seattle in a 24-0 victory that helped cloud over some of the red-flag deficiencies that day in the ground game, such as the inability to get into the end zone on two drives that featured first down at the Seattle 1 and first down at the Seattle 2.

And then Sunday night in Indianapolis, the Steelers were stopped cold. They ran 28 times for 67 yards, an average of 2.4 yards per carry. Mendenhall ran 18 times for 37 yards. Two of his carries over a three-play span in the third quarter went for 15 and 7. The other 16 times he ran the ball produced 15 yards, or the same number Ben Roethlisberger had on five carries.

Has Mendenhall jumped the shark after having a combined 412 touches, combining runs and receptions in the 2010 regular and postseasons? Or is the offensive line merely incapable at the moment of providing him with sufficient holes?

"We have to go back to the fundamentals," said tackle Trai Essex, who may get back to the starting lineup after two tackles and a guard left the game Sunday night with injuries. "We're not doing something right. It's disappointing as an offensive line that we did not get the run game going."

Essex, after the game Sunday, predicted a difficult Monday for the line when they were to meet with their coach, Sean Kugler.

"It's going to get scary in the film meeting with Coach Kugs," said Essex, who entered the game Sunday night at right tackle for injured Marcus Gilbert in the third quarter. "Even though we won, we didn't play up to our caliber. We have to get Rashard those holes. Rashard and Isaac, they run hard, we just have to give them more opportunities. We're one block off pretty much every time. We just have to get more chemistry up front."

Or, more physics.

Mendenhall has looked good at times, particularly in the second game against Seattle, running in the open field. But he has been stutter-stepping, spinning and changing direction before he hits the line of scrimmage, often away from where the hole is -- or was designed to be.

One source on the team said the run calls against the Colts looked nothing like the ones they practiced the week leading up to the game.

The Steelers did not use Isaac Redman to spot Mendenhall against the Colts as they did in their previous two games. He had his most significant playing time on the final drive, when the Steelers moved 60 yards for the winning 38-yard field goal. He ran for 3 yards on third-and-1 at the Colts 21.

Mewelde Moore and Redman handled all the duties at running back on that drive, often with both on the field. Moore sparked the drive with a 22-yard catch and run, and he put Shaun Suisham closer for his kick with two runs up the middle for 9 yards before Redman picked up the first down to enable them to run the clock down.

Mendenhall spent that series on the sideline, which coach Mike Tomlin explained as: "We were just in two-minute football. Of course we've got a great deal of comfort in what Mewelde is capable of doing and you saw what he's capable of doing."

They need to see more of Mendenhall actually doing it, too. Arians said before the first game that Mendenhall had "come back in fabulous condition."

"He has been everything we hoped he would be in the preseason and training camp. I thought he's as good as he's ever been right now in the running game and the preseason."

He and they need to add the regular season to that checklist.

Injury update

No information was released Monday on the evaluations of the injured. Left tackle Jonathan Scott has a left ankle sprain. Right guard Doug Legursky has what seemed to be a minor shoulder injury. Gilbert has a right shoulder injury and went back into the game at left tackle when Scott left late in the final drive.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11270/11 ... z1ZGcMnCcM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11270/1177831-66-0.stm#ixzz1ZGcMnCcM)

feltdizz
09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Anyone who thinks a new OC is going to make our offense explode is fooling themselves.

If you watch NO or GB you see QB's who pass the ball to WR's who are blanketed... these guys are throwing right by DB's ear holes for 20 yard gains.

Until our offense makes those throws we won't see much difference. Ben is a different kind of QB and you get hot and cold with him. Do you really think Brady, Brees or Rogers allow themselves to get blasted on their way out of bounds like Ben did when he got popped?

Ben likes contact, he thrives on it... it he didn't get hit he wouldn't even know what game he was playing.

Ben is high risk, high return... even when Whiz was our OC Ben was taking sacks when he had good protection. It's his style and a new OC won't change him. If anything it might lead to him becoming a worse QB.

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Tomlin knows running game must improve

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1329253/37944396E.jpg

The Steelers running game has been up and down so far this season, with Rashard Mendenhall rushing for 67 yards against Seattle, while the offense amassed 126 yards on the ground, most of that in the first half.

The numbers weren’t so good in the other two games, with Mendenhall gaining only 45 yards against the Ravens in the season opener and just 37 yards against Colts, while the team managed just 66 and 67 yards rushing respectively in those two games.

“I’ll acknowledge that we didn’t do well the other night and that we better improve in that area and improve in a hurry because we desire to be balanced offensively,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “One thing that I didn’t mention about Sunday’s performance was that even though we struggled in terms of running the football, our ability to convert third downs helped us in that area in terms of moving the football and not allowing it to be a detriment of what we were trying to do offensively in terms of possessing the football and in terms of scoring.”

Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is a player who is known for his smarts on the field, but probably would like to have a do-over after a gaffe in the Colts game.

Ben Roethlisberger overthrew Sanders and Colts defensive back Joe Lefeged intercepted at the Colts 48-yard line. Sanders could have downed Lefeged, but instead leapt over him without touching him and Lefeged got up and returned the ball 25 yards.

Tomlin said that Sanders knew he made a mistake, and it wasn’t something that needed to be addressed.

“Really, there was no need to talk to him,” said Tomlin. “He understood where he was wrong. Sometimes coaching the obvious is silly. That’s a mistake that was made and acknowledged immediately. It’s probably more important that we moved on to things that were less obvious.”

After Sunday night’s game Tomlin was asked about a timeout he took with eight seconds still remaining on the clock before bringing Shaun Suisham out for the game-winning field goal. The timeout allowed the Colts to still run another play, but at the time Tomlin didn’t think twice about it.

“Just in case we had a ball-handling issue or anything of that nature,” said Tomlin of the timing after the game. “We wanted to preserve enough time to do it again if necessary. It wasn’t going to go down on one play. If we had a low snap or something we could afford to lose the four or five yards or whatever and re-kick the ball if necessary.”

What Tomlin didn’t realize at the time was that it was the team’s final timeout, while he was thinking they still had one left.

“I didn’t realize that until after,” admitted Tomlin. “I lost that timeout when Jonathan Scott went down in that sequence of events. I have to get better too. I am a guy in development from a game management standpoint. I don’t run away from that.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 2b6e5e1fb1 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-knows-running-game-must-improve/b312790f-6388-4d75-9dcb-812b6e5e1fb1)