PDA

View Full Version : When The Steelers Lose Games Like Last Night...

Slapstick
09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
...then, I'll start to worry...

Until then, I'll take the Ws and be happy with that...

Did the Steelers look terrible? Sure...

Did they find a way to win? Yup...

Which is more important?

This is the NFL...as Tomlin said, it is a very fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes...

You might not care for the wine, but it is wine nonetheless...

During the last three SB runs, there have been some terrible and head scratching losses...I prefer to reserve the head scratching and hand wringing for losses...

Last night was a win...

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 03:00 PM
A win is a win. And I'm more than happy to keep piling up ugly wins, close wins, and hard fought wins all the way to the Super Bowl.

But you've got to be lying to yourself if you aren't concerned about the performance of this team.

Our D let a 3rd stringer with a single digit QB rating lead his team down the field and tie the game.

Our O couldn't gain anything on the ground against one of the worst run defenses in the league.

I think this team has enough stars to really make the special plays... but I'm not sure we have enough all around talent to make the average ones. And that's what really worries me.

Slapstick
09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
This is the NFL...things change from week to week...

Just because the Colts' run defense was porous in the first two games, that doesn't mean that teams will be able to run on them at will for the rest of the year...

Painter was the 2nd string backup...both for Manning and for Collins...signing Collins was a knee-jerk miscalculation, IMO...Painter has way more familiarity with the Colts' O and it showed last night...

$4 mil to Collins or not, the Colts should be starting Painter next week...

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 03:12 PM
[quote="LouSteel"]A win is a win. And I'm more than happy to keep piling up ugly wins, close wins, and hard fought wins all the way to the Super Bowl.

But you've got to be lying to yourself if you aren't concerned about the performance of this team.

Our D let a 3rd stringer with a single digit QB rating lead his team down the field and tie the game.

Let me tell you something, first off, that 3rd string QB didn't just go through our defense. He received a few LUCKY breaks. Also, you wanna know who the toughest QB to defend is ?....it's the QB that a opposing team has NEVER seen before. Or has ever seen any film on. Look, you can laugh off a guy like Painter all you want, but facts are, he IS still A NFL QB...who knows that Colts offense better then Collins did. Defenses prepare basically for ONE type of QB the week preparing for an opponent. And the Steelers prepared for Collins. Then all of a sudden when a new QB comes in, one who has NEVER played in a real game, and who the defense knows nothing about, chances are that QB is going to have some success. It's only until teams have actual game film on him that they can make the adjustments to his game, and prepare for him. I mean you act as if this guy just came out of the stands after putting down his freaking Nachos and came in to beat us....fact he his didn't. He is a NFL QB who was a legit College starter.

Bottom line is we WON! And bottom line is we are the leagues BEST pass defense in the league as of right now. And second overall, just behind the Titans defense. Give it a break already Dude!

Sugar
09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
This is the NFL...things change from week to week...

Just because the Colts' run defense was porous in the first two games, that doesn't mean that teams will be able to run on them at will for the rest of the year...

Painter was the 2nd string backup...both for Manning and for Collins...signing Collins was a knee-jerk miscalculation, IMO...Painter has way more familiarity with the Colts' O and it showed last night...

$4 mil to Collins or not, the Colts should be starting Painter next week...

The Colts gameplanned very well. Let's not forget that we were prime-time in THEIR house. They made a focus of stopping the run and they did it well. It's not as if this was some high school team trying to stop the mighty Steelers. Their D came to play by focusing on the run and using their strength on the DL against our weak OT's.

It's not like Joseph Addai is some crappy RB from Sister of Mercy School for Girls or something. This is a guy who is having to embrace his leadership role and didn't want to be punked on national TV.

I told everyone that would listen that this was not an easy game- betting lines be damned. We are blessed with a very good football team that has some issues. We need to get beyond them, sure, but there is still much to be thankful for.

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Last season, we won a game against the Sucktastic Dolphins that we probably deserved to lose (the Ben fumble into the end zone game). We also won a game against the Craptastic Bills that we probably deserved to lose (the Stevie Johnson drop game). In spite of sucky play in games like that, we still got another couple of notches in the "W" column nonetheless, regardless of whether or not the fan base felt we truly deserved those wins. And we still ended last season one drive short of another title, even after playing poorly against bad teams. This weekend's win may fall into the same category.

snarky
09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
This early in the season I would usually say it's too early to read a lot into how they are playing. I think it isn't until after five games or so that you start to see a team really settle in.

I think there were a few years under Cowher where we started poorly/slowly but ended up being very solid. With the shortened camp/pre-season, it's possible we aren't close to top form yet.

However, I'm concerned about the OL personnel. We were thin there last year and the situation seems to have gotten worse (and I'm not including injuries when I say that).

JAR
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
:tt1. I concur, reminds me of the 05 team.

...then, I'll start to worry...

Until then, I'll take the Ws and be happy with that...

Did the Steelers look terrible? Sure...

Did they find a way to win? Yup...

Which is more important?

This is the NFL...as Tomlin said, it is a very fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes...

You might not care for the wine, but it is wine nonetheless...

During the last three SB runs, there have been some terrible and head scratching losses...I prefer to reserve the head scratching and hand wringing for losses...

Last night was a win...

Eich
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
We were thrashed by our biggest rival on opening day.

We thrashed the worst team in the league last week.

Last night, we struggled in nearly every phase of the game against a team without a real QB who's licking their wounds from numerous injuries. If Manning had played in that game, it would have been more like opening day.

Glad some are optimistic. But unless things change drastically on our O-Line and with our offensive strategy, then color me worried. To me, this line feels MUCH worse than '05.

SteelTorch
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
A win is a win. And I'm more than happy to keep piling up ugly wins, close wins, and hard fought wins all the way to the Super Bowl.

Our O couldn't gain anything on the ground against one of the worst run defenses in the league.

I think this team has enough stars to really make the special plays... but I'm not sure we have enough all around talent to make the average ones. And that's what really worries me.
Agreed. I think you're kidding yourself if you haven't started worrying at least about the offense after last night's game. Sure, it's only three games, but already I'm seeing patterns emerging:

1. Horrid pass/run blocking
2. Avoidable turnovers
3. Problems with the defensive front 7
4. Questionable/predictable coaching (anyone know how many times we've run the ball on first down so far? That'd be interesting to find out.)

If we show improvement over the next couple games, then I'll relax. If not, heck yeah I'm going to worry.