PDA

View Full Version : Let's be clear here...

Dee Dub
09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
The sack/forced fumble created/caused by Mathis was not Marcus Gilbert's fault. You can't expect a RT to block a guy all the way around the pocket to the other side of the field. Overall the O-line played a poor game but this particular play and overall play of Marcus Gilbert, on one of the games premier players (Mathis), was pretty good.

I'm sticking with it. I think this kid has potential to be an above average pass blocker in the NFL.

pittpete
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm sticking with it. I think this kid has potential to be an above average pass blocker in the NFL

After one game, Id have to agree.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
He has potential yes. And I know it was just his second game. But forgetting that play, Gilbert still was constantly knocked backwards by the 80 Lbs less in weight Mathis. And that is NOT good. If Mathis can drive him back like that, what do you think a 300 Lb Mario Williams with 4.4 speed is gonna do ?

Dee Dub
09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
He has potential yes. And I know it was just his second game. But forgetting that play, Gilbert still was constantly knocked backwards by the 80 Lbs less in weight Mathis. And that is NOT good. If Mathis can drive him back like that, what do you think a 300 Lb Mario Williams with 4.4 speed is gonna do ?

I agree, and I am pretty sure the Steelers have commented on this them themselves, that Gilbert needs to get stronger. Especially in drive blocking for the running game. But...as far as his quickness in his set-up, his feet, and his long arms are concerned, he is showing the ability to pass block.

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 01:18 PM

No, it's not good, but I don't think it's a lack of skill. Gilbert's doesn't look like he's up to game speed yet. He'll get better.

Snatch98
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree. We hit the mark with Gilbert. He's still young, he's going to get stronger and he's going to get better. He was thrown in to the lineup way early because of Colon.

Dee Dub
09-26-2011, 01:57 PM
But let's also be very clear...that the sack/fumble caused by Dwight Freeney was 100% Jonathan Scott's fault. That was horrible. Talk about flat out getting beat like a drum. I dont even think Scott touched him.

Blitz-en
09-26-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a very strong suspicion that on that play, which was replayed many times, Jonathan Scott actually fell asleep just before the ball was snapped! He looked surprised that he was standing in the middle of a football field when the play started.

I might be wrong, but it's the only explaination I can come up with.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a very strong suspicion that on that play, which was replayed many times, Jonathan Scott actually fell asleep just before the ball was snapped! He looked surprised that he was standing in the middle of a football field when the play started.

:D

I think you're right, I can't think of any other reason of how you could get beat that badly either...

DukieBoy
09-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Geez, hope he's not narcoleptic, tho he sure looked like it on that play. He barely moved.

NJ-STEELER
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Geez, hope he's not narcoleptic, tho he sure looked like it on that play. He barely moved.

strongly disagree

looked like he moved right out of freeny's way

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 06:56 PM
But forgetting that play, Gilbert still was constantly knocked backwards by the 80 Lbs less in weight Mathis. And that is NOT good. If Mathis can drive him back like that, what do you think a 300 Lb Mario Williams with 4.4 speed is gonna do ?

Mario is listed day-to-day and is not expected to practice this week, let's hope he isn't 100% on Sunday.

Mario Williams injures right knee in loss to Saints

By JEROME SOLOMON, Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Sunday, September 25, 2011

http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1625113&width=628&height=471

Houston Texans outside linebacker Mario Williams (90) has his knee checked on the sidelines during the third quarter of an NFL football game against the New Orleans Saints at the Louisiana Superdome Sunday, Sept. 25, 2011.

Mario Williams had his quietest day as a linebacker Sunday, finishing the game with only one tackle and one quarterback pressure as the Texans were ripped by Drew Brees and the Saints.

Worse yet, Williams suffered a knee injury late in the third quarter, when Antonio Smith, who was all but tackled by Saints' guard Charles Brown, fell into his right leg.

He limped off the field under his own power and spent some time on a stationary bike on the sideline. He played some in the fourth quarter, but was spelled quite a bit by Brooks Reed.

Though ligament damage is always a possibility with such an injury, Williams said he thinks he will be fine but he would not know the extent of the injury until further testing is done Monday.

"The biggest thing is you don't want it to tighten up on you, and I was trying to keep it loose," Williams said. "We have to figure it out tomorrow once we go in and get a better look.

"There is nothing I can really say about it until then."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/arti ... 188528.php (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Mario-Williams-injures-right-knee-in-loss-to-2188528.php)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
But forgetting that play, Gilbert still was constantly knocked backwards by the 80 Lbs less in weight Mathis. And that is NOT good. If Mathis can drive him back like that, what do you think a 300 Lb Mario Williams with 4.4 speed is gonna do ?

Mario is listed day-to-day and is not expected to practice this week, let's hope he isn't 100% on Sunday.

Mario Williams injures right knee in loss to Saints

By JEROME SOLOMON, Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Sunday, September 25, 2011

http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1625113&width=628&height=471

Houston Texans outside linebacker Mario Williams (90) has his knee checked on the sidelines during the third quarter of an NFL football game against the New Orleans Saints at the Louisiana Superdome Sunday, Sept. 25, 2011.

Mario Williams had his quietest day as a linebacker Sunday, finishing the game with only one tackle and one quarterback pressure as the Texans were ripped by Drew Brees and the Saints.

Worse yet, Williams suffered a knee injury late in the third quarter, when Antonio Smith, who was all but tackled by Saints' guard Charles Brown, fell into his right leg.

He limped off the field under his own power and spent some time on a stationary bike on the sideline. He played some in the fourth quarter, but was spelled quite a bit by Brooks Reed.

Though ligament damage is always a possibility with such an injury, Williams said he thinks he will be fine but he would not know the extent of the injury until further testing is done Monday.

"The biggest thing is you don't want it to tighten up on you, and I was trying to keep it loose," Williams said. "We have to figure it out tomorrow once we go in and get a better look.

"There is nothing I can really say about it until then."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/arti ... 188528.php (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Mario-Williams-injures-right-knee-in-loss-to-2188528.php)

It don't matter if Williams is in our out. We'll win or lose based on our O-line, nobody WHO they are facing.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I hope Williams is in. We need to be able to beat teams when they have their best players on the field. Otherwise, when playoff time rolls around (if we even make the playoffs), forget about it.

skyhawk
09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
"Are we clear?!"

Forum:

"Crystal."

:wink: