PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time For the Steelers...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
...to hire a special replay assistant to help Mike Tomlin decide whether or not to throw the challenge flag?

It seems to me that Tomlin is one of the worst in the league when it comes to this. When he throws the flag, often he clearly shouldn't. Last night, on that 3rd and 3 pass with under 5 minutes left, the Colts receiver was clearly short of the first-down marker. It would have been an excellent time to try to stop their drive with a challenge. But Mike never even reached for his flag.

Clearly, Tomlin needs help with this...and he's not getting it. Would it hurt the Steelers to spring a couple hundred bucks a game to get someone whose only responsibility is to watch a monitor and advise the HC on throwing the red flag? I'd venture to guess that just about any poster on this board could take that position, and the Steelers would be better off at challenges than they are now.

Slapstick
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
The spot was generous, but no so much that replay would have overturned it, IMO...

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 12:13 PM
...to hire a special replay assistant to help Mike Tomlin decide whether or not to throw the challenge flag?

It seems to me that Tomlin is one of the worst in the league when it comes to this. When he throws the flag, often he clearly shouldn't. Last night, on that 3rd and 3 pass with under 5 minutes left, the Colts receiver was clearly short of the first-down marker. It would have been an excellent time to try to stop their drive with a challenge. But Mike never even reached for his flag.

Clearly, Tomlin needs help with this...and he's not getting it. Would it hurt the Steelers to spring a couple hundred bucks a game to get someone whose only responsibility is to watch a monitor and advise the HC on throwing the red flag? I'd venture to guess that just about any poster on this board could take that position, and the Steelers would be better off at challenges than they are now.

I don't think that 1st down catch was as obviously short of the 30 Yd line as you think, and not only do I highly doubt that the Refs would have overturned their decision on a 1st down, but even if they did, was that play at that point in the game worth wasting one of his challanges ?

I personally don't think so, and to me, it was the correct call to not throw the Challange flag.

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I think most teams do review these plays upstairs. If we don't, it's criminal.

I just don't understand why we're so bad at it, and why we've not improved even a bit. It's like the team as a whole -- sloppy.

fezziwig
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know if I remember this correctly but, I thought we had a first down catch that looked like a first down catch and we didn't get it then, they give the Colts a terrific spot for their catch. I know it's a he said she said but, the Colts seemed to be getting a way with a lot of stuff last night with good spots, holding.