PDA

View Full Version : Houston game is NOT a Guaranteed loss fans....

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
....I know some here after last night seemed to think given our O-Line play that Houston will kill Ben and us next weekend. But I kinda disagree.
First off lets look at some things. One, the Saints have a horrible defense, and secondary. That is why Houston put up 33 points more then anything.
Also, as good as Tate has been in games against the Dolphins and the Colts in week 1, the chances are that Tate might be benched next week for A.Foster's return. And there might be a good chance that Foster might be a bit rusty in his return. Also, take a look at Houston's O-Line. It's isn't exactly All-World either. Schaub gets alot of pressure on him. And their LT, Brown, he is the same LT that James Harrison " ABUSED " in the 2008 game with 3 sacks, and a whole lot more pressures. And maybe it's just me but, it seems each week James is getting stronger and stronger, and he MIGHT be primed for another big game against Brown.

Then of course there is the Troy factor. As in it looks like Troy is about to get into another one of his streaks where he is a PURE Rhythm breaker for the opposing teams offenses. Yes it's true the Texans have a very good DB in J.Josephs now, and it will be a battle with he and Wallace. But aside from him, Houston is light as well in the secondary, and Antonio Brown also seems to be in a good Rhythm right now.

Look, I KNOW the game will be tough. But I also believe that we have some definite advantages against them. We certainly must do better in stopping the run. But I feel our defense is a PROUD Bunch, and I don't feel like they will like hearing that they are done, and can be run over. It certainly won't be the end of the world if we do lose the game. But a W there could go a long way in restoring our overall confidence as the season continues.

Yeah yeah, we can ALL go on about certain points on last nights game, like our horrible O-Line blocking, both on Freeney & Mathis, as well as their rather bad Run-Blocking, but there is an old saying that goes..." There is NOTHING less Important to me then that which is BEHIND me ".....And last nights game IS Behind us, and it's behind us with a Road Win :Clap

So lets move on to Houston, and concentrate on the GOOD aspects, like James showing more strength, and Troy being in the " Zone ", rather then the shortcomings of a game that is, well...BEHIND us :Beer

Steveo
09-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I may still just be reeling from last night, but I think you give to much credit to our team this year. The defense you think is better than the Saints couldn’t stop the Colts running game, and lets be honest the only reason there passing game didn't burn us has more to do with their ineffectual QB play than anything we did (saw several drops by Indy that would have been TD's). As for our offense, right now I'm not sure how we can even compete if we can't score 20 points without turning the ball over and letting defenders have free shots at our QB. I truly do hope your right (don’t want to be a downer or right off the season), but right now I'm not seeing it.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I may still just be reeling from last night, but I think you give to much credit to our team this year. The defense you think is better than the Saints couldn’t stop the Colts running game, and lets be honest the only reason there passing game didn't burn us has more to do with their ineffectual QB play than anything we did (saw several drops by Indy that would have been TD's). As for our offense, right now I'm not sure how we can even compete if we can't score 20 points without turning the ball over and letting defenders have free shots at our QB. I truly do hope your right (don’t want to be a downer or right off the season), but right now I'm not seeing it.

You say that our defense is getting too much credit for holding their passing game in check, because Indy had alot of dropped passes. but then you call out our offense for not scoring, but fail to point out our OWN drops, like the sure TD that Sanders dropped. Or the two other passes that were easy catches, one to Brown and one to Wallace. If we don't miss a easy FG and Sanders makes that catch, we score an easy 30 points. How exactly is that a BAD Offense ?

Schaub is NOT All world my friend. We destroyed him and their team 2 years ago. And yes I know it's been two years, and they are at Home this time, but they do have shortcomings we can exploit.

feltdizz
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
the only loss that is guaranteed is the NE loss... but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to the Texans.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
the only loss that is guaranteed is the NE loss... but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to the Texans.

How is New England a Guaranteed loss ? So Buffalo CAN beat them at home, but we CAN'T ? Please explain that one.

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Buffalo beat NE by pouring on the defensive pressure.

When was the last time we played the Pats* and used a defensive gameplan that didn't involve ten yard cushions?

I don't think the NE game is a guaranteed loss by any means. But if we trot out the same old gameplan, I'm not expecting a win.

Steveo
09-26-2011, 01:17 PM

You say that our defense is getting too much credit for holding their passing game in check, because Indy had alot of dropped passes. but then you call out our offense for not scoring, but fail to point out our OWN drops, like the sure TD that Sanders dropped. Or the two other passes that were easy catches, one to Brown and one to Wallace. If we don't miss a easy FG and Sanders makes that catch, we score an easy 30 points. How exactly is that a BAD Offense ?

Schaub is NOT All world my friend. We destroyed him and their team 2 years ago. And yes I know it's been two years, and they are at Home this time, but they do have shortcomings we can exploit.

I couldn't agree more that the Texans like all NFL teams have shortcomings that can be exploited, and I will be watching the game and hoping to win on Sunday like everyone else. All I was trying to say is we aren't the team we were 2 years ago, right now either due to a lack of coaching, or a poor OL, and / or and aging d-fense we are struggling. The Texans offense right now is averaging about 30 points a game, against teams I would say have at least a moderate defense, where we are struggling to get even 20. Now pluses I took from last night are A.) Troy was looking more like Troy, B.) Even through adversity we were able to stick together enough to win (and a win is a win).

JAR
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Chicken Littleism at a pretty high level even though they’te 2-1. :)

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Chicken Littleism at a pretty high level even though they’te 2-1. :)

We struggled to put away a team that is now 0-3.

We could barely keep our franchise QB on his feet.

We let a QB that had a single digit passer coming into the game march down the field and tie the game.

We won, but it sure wasn't convincing.

I'm not concerned about the regular season -- this team should make the playoffs on the back of our incredibly weak schedule. What worries me is the playoffs.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM

They scored 34 against the Colts in week 1, when Collins hadn't even had 1 week of practice time as of yet. And in reality, they scored 27 points on offense, one of their TD's was a 79 yard punt return. We scored 23 last night. Should have been an easy 30 if Sanders doesn't drop a sure TD pass. And if our kicker doesn't miss a easy FG. So how exactly is that totally worse then Houston and their offense ? Look, I accept that we will be underdogs this weekend, and should be. But it won't be the slaughter that I think alot of OTHERS will feel it will be either.

I couldn't agree more that the Texans like all NFL teams have shortcomings that can be exploited, and I will be watching the game and hoping to win on Sunday like everyone else. All I was trying to say is we aren't the team we were 2 years ago, right now either due to a lack of coaching, or a poor OL, and / or and aging d-fense we are struggling. The Texans offense right now is averaging about 30 points a game, against teams I would say have at least a moderate defense, where we are struggling to get even 20. Now pluses I took from last night are A.) Troy was looking more like Troy, B.) Even through adversity we were able to stick together enough to win (and a win is a win).

BURGH86STEEL
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM

When was the last time we played the Pats* and used a defensive gameplan that didn't involve ten yard cushions?

I don't think the NE game is a guaranteed loss by any means. But if we trot out the same old gameplan, I'm not expecting a win.

I believe they loss because Brady threw 4 INT's. It's debatable if those INT's were a result of pressure or poor passes by Brady. Pats defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain after being up by 3 TD's halfway through the 2nd QT.

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I believe they loss because Brady threw 4 INT's. It's debatable if those INT's were a result of pressure or poor passes by Brady. Pats defense didn't hold up their end of the bargain after being up by 3 TD's halfway through the 2nd QT.

The Pats D looks beyond awful.

If we can force turnovers, we've got a shot. But we're -9 in turnovers. I'm not holding my breath.

If we can't, we're going to have to outscore the Patriots. We're scoring 18 PPG to the Pats. They're scoring 34 on average. I'm not holding my breath.

rockonsteel
09-26-2011, 02:06 PM

And when was the last time the Steelers exploited the weakness of any team? Teams does it to the Steelers. The Steelers never do it back. Not the "Steeler" way. We just roll out our same plan with no adjustments. Whether it's the corners with a 10 yd. cushion on 3rd and 4 or empty backfield sets even when your line is being destroyed. So, I'm not real confident about them "exploiting" the Texans. If they somehow pull a win out of their a$$ in this one, it will be because they made more plays, but not necessarily because they exploited Houston's weakness. Never happens, why would they start now?

Rockon

feltdizz
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM

:Agree

Brady wasn't under defensive pressure when he threw those INT's... the only pressure he had was the Bills O putting up points in a hurry.

The passes weren't poor, the DB's were aggressive while the ball was in the air.

The real problem is Brady and Billicheat have one goal and that is to score a million points. They were running hurry up, no huddle offense while up by 18 points. This is why I'm not a fan of trying to pile on the points when up by a nice lead. At least running the ball burns clock and protect the rock. quick 3 and outs stop clock and can lead to INT's that swing momentum.

Ghost
09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
The bigger concern is that this team, on both offense and defense, scares NO ONE. Teams are not concerned in the least about coming in and being dominated. The offense has the one of the worst o-lines in the league (and that was before injuries) and has no running game to speak of. And after watching a guy with a a single digit QB rating who proabaly took 10% of the practice snaps all week carve up the D for 80 yards at a critical time, most QB's are not even a tiny bit worried about playing the Steelers.

No game is a guranteed loss but how is your confidence when thinking about the Steelers getting into a good old fahioned shoot-out? The Texans O is much, much better than the hawks or colts.

Doogie36
09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
man we sound like Bengal fans. This is horrible today!

We have a shot at every game because we are the PITTSBURGH STEELERS! Thank god the fans dont play this game because most of you sound like you have already given up!!!! Maybe we should just tank the rest of the year for a good draft pick. LOL

Man o Man you guys are horrible in a loss. Oh wait we WON! LOL

If you win a game on the ROAD its a success!!!!

TEams do learn from mistakes and so do individuals. Its nice to WIN a game while making mistakes isnt it? Isnt that also a sign of a good team?

Just checkin.

I'm not scared of the TExans and Vegas obviously thinks we have a shot with the +3 spread which is home field advantage for Texans. It's a shame our fans dont feel this way.

steelblood
09-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Of course it isn't a guaranteed loss. But, we should be the underdog. We've "earned" that.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm not scared of the TExans and Vegas obviously thinks we have a shot with the +3 spread which is home field advantage for Texans. It's a shame our fans dont feel this way.[/quote]

I do, remember, I was the one who posted this thread. :Clap

feltdizz
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
The bigger concern is that this team, on both offense and defense, scares NO ONE. Teams are not concerned in the least about coming in and being dominated. The offense has the one of the worst o-lines in the league (and that was before injuries) and has no running game to speak of. And after watching a guy with a a single digit QB rating who proabaly took 10% of the practice snaps all week carve up the D for 80 yards at a critical time, most QB's are not even a tiny bit worried about playing the Steelers.

No game is a guranteed loss but how is your confidence when thinking about the Steelers getting into a good old fahioned shoot-out? The Texans O is much, much better than the hawks or colts.

I thought teams feared Wallace but the Colts just let him run down field with ease... lol.

Teams don't fear the run and they don't fear our OL. Teams need to fear Troy and Harrison though because they looked like they are back in the groove.

Shoe
09-26-2011, 04:44 PM

How is New England a Guaranteed loss ? So Buffalo CAN beat them at home, but we CAN'T ? Please explain that one.

Are you joking????? Have you watched the last ten years of Steeler football? Every meaningful game we've had (ok, besides that ONE game where we broke some winning streak they had, and the game when Cassel played), we've not only lost to them... they've OWNED us. felt hit it right on the head. At this point, I see a Loss to Houston. And I never go in to games (besides NE* week of course) saying that.

Oviedo
09-26-2011, 08:22 PM

We will lose the NE because LeBeau will play scared just like he has every time we have played them under his watch. He is so afraid to get picked apart because of the huge cushions that he forces the DBs to give up he drops the LBs into coverage which means zero pressure. Zero pressure plays right into Brady's hands and he does exactly what they are afraid he will do.

AngryAsian
09-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Short routes, pass catching RBs, dink and dunk offenses chew up our defense (Patriots, Saints, Packers). Our inability to make adjustments ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL has, will, and continually hurt us. LeBeau has a great format but he doesn't adjust well and he certainly doesn't try to integrate youth into the line-up because our schemes "are so complex" that our veterans are the only one's with the cerebral capacity to grasp the intricacies. And Arians ("square peg, round hole.... does somebody have a sledge hammer on them?") has a schematic mind, but hasn't a clue on when to implement certain schemes or insert certain player skill sets into a game depending on what a particular defense in giving us. (e.g. why couldn't we try one series, not within the 2 min. marker, that employed Ben's strong suit... the no huddle... just to get some kind of rhythm... it certainly couldn't hurt)...

I agree with certain posters... if we do not fix things we will be 1 and done. That's no pessimism, that's just reality.

grotonsteel
09-27-2011, 01:31 AM
I think this Steelers O-line might do a better job:

Essex-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert

I also think Steelers Offense play 3-4 Defense better compared to 4-3 D. I believe Steelers O will put some points on Texans.

If Steelers D can get some TO and help the offense i think Steelers could win a close game.

hawaiiansteel
09-27-2011, 01:34 AM
I think this Steelers O-line might do a better job:

Essex-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert

I also think Steelers Offense play 3-4 Defense better compared to 4-3 D. I believe Steelers O will put some points on Texans.

If Steelers D can get some TO and help the offense i think Steelers could win a close game.

I couldn't agree more... :Cheers

Oviedo
09-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Short routes, pass catching RBs, dink and dunk offenses chew up our defense (Patriots, Saints, Packers). Our inability to make adjustments ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL has, will, and continually hurt us. LeBeau has a great format but he doesn't adjust well and he certainly doesn't try to integrate youth into the line-up because our schemes "are so complex" that our veterans are the only one's with the cerebral capacity to grasp the intricacies. And Arians ("square peg, round hole.... does somebody have a sledge hammer on them?") has a schematic mind, but hasn't a clue on when to implement certain schemes or insert certain player skill sets into a game depending on what a particular defense in giving us. (e.g. why couldn't we try one series, not within the 2 min. marker, that employed Ben's strong suit... the no huddle... just to get some kind of rhythm... it certainly couldn't hurt)...

I agree with certain posters... if we do not fix things we will be 1 and done. That's no pessimism, that's just reality.

Great to see you post and I could not agree more. Both our Coordinators have been lacking and both are too stubborn in their own way to make the changes necessary for us to get back to the Super Bowl this season.

IMO Tomlin needs to do some housecleaning in the upcoming off season.

Mister Pittsburgh
09-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Our defensive line is going to be key. Houston cut blocks a ton in their run play design. Hope big snack invests in some knee braces.

steelcurtain44
09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

Great to see you post and I could not agree more. Both our Coordinators have been lacking and both are too stubborn in their own way to make the changes necessary for us to get back to the Super Bowl this season.

IMO Tomlin needs to do some housecleaning in the upcoming off season.

Man you guys seriously don't get it. It amazes me how everytime the Steelers lose, you get all the post about, this guy sucks, the coaches don't make adjustments, the players are old, they are not making the playoffs and if the do, they will be one and done. It was the same bull**** last year, and every other year. The Steelers have been to 3 damn SBs in the last six years and you guys know more than the Steelers. WTF man, you think they are suppose to win every year? It aint' going to happen know matter how much everyone, cries and moan about it.

Im sure if you all could do better then you would be out there. It's not the easy to do people. Just be happy that the team is always competitive. The Steeler could very well be like that team in the other stadium 21 years people, 21 years. Quit talking crazy and be happy you root for a team that always has a chance.

Shawn
09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
The Texans have one WR, who Ike will lock down. They will not be able to run on our D. I do not believe they score like they did on the Saints. This is a game the Steelers will have to give away. If the Steelers prevent ignorant turnovers I believe they win this game.

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Time for Texans to show toughness is now

By JOHN McCLAIN, Houston Chronicle
Tuesday, September 27, 2011

http://www.chron.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1630568&width=628&height=471

PAINFUL DAY: Matt Schaub got a feel for how physical the Steelers can be when the Texans lost at Pittsburgh 38-17 in 2008. Photo: Brett Coomer / Houston Chronicle

The worst thing you can say about a team is that it chokes.

The second-worst thing you can say about a team is that it's soft - mentally and physically.

The Texans haven't blown any 35-3 leads, so they're not known as chokers. But they are known as a soft team, and they don't like it.

Mike Lombardi was the first to slap that label on them last season, when they were blowing so many games in the fourth quarter and overtime. He reiterated it before the draft and during training camp.

Naturally, Lombardi isn't their favorite NFL.com columnist or NFL Network analyst, but there's one way to prove him wrong. Blowing two leads in the fourth quarter at the Superdome and surrendering 23 points in the process is not the right way to do it.

Beating the best

Fortunately for the Texans, they have another chance to dispel the notion Sunday at Reliant Stadium. If people think you're not tough enough, then beat the team that, year in and year out, is the toughest in the NFL.

When you think of physical teams, which is the first that comes to mind? The Pittsburgh Steelers, of course.

Perennially, the Steelers are the toughest on offense, defense and special teams. But it starts with a defense that just seems to pack a little more punch than that of their opponents.

Can you imagine a D!ck LeBeau defense allowing 23 points in the fourth quarter? Can you imagine the Steelers allowing the same two-point conversion pass twice? Of course you can't. Because they're the Steelers.

Defense sets the standard for the Steelers' physical philosophy. Counting this season, the Steelers have ranked outside of the top 10 in defense two times in the last 15 years. They've been in the top five eight times.

Since LeBeau returned as their defensive coordinator in 2004, they've been out of the top five in defense one time. This season, they rank second.

LeBeau's philosophy is to stop the run first and then turn loose his blitzers in passing situations. From 2004 through 2010, the Steelers ranked in the top three in run defense.

The last two times the Texans have played the Steelers, they've been embarrassed. Pittsburgh dominated them so thoroughly it was laughable.

Painful memories

Remember that game at Reliant in September of 2005? The Texans left the roof open to wear down the Steelers, who wore their black jerseys. The only ones worn down were Texans fans in the heat. The Steelers frolicked in the heat and humidity and departed with a 27-7 victory.

In 2008, the Texans went to Pittsburgh, and the Steelers wiped the Heinz Field floor with them and won 38-17.

The Steelers are a Super Bowl contender just about every year. The Texans are still trying to make the playoffs for the first time.

The Steelers lost the Super Bowl to Green Bay in February. Three games into this season, they're struggling on offense. Their line has been decimated by injuries. They might be 2-1, but they haven't run the ball the way they want.

Defensively, the Steelers may be getting older, but that makes them more irritable. They can still be nasty and dominant. They can still make life miserable for quarterbacks.

For a team like the Texans with so much to prove, beat the Steelers, and people around the country will take notice.

Sunday is the perfect opportunity for the Texans to prove they're not the same old Texans that can't score in the red zone and can't protect a fourth-quarter lead. They can prove the fourth-quarter collapse at New Orleans was an abnormality.

Sunday isn't the time to wilt at the sight of black-and-gold jerseys, but it is the time for the Texans to muscle up, get tough and treat Reliant Stadium like it's an octagon.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Tim ... #loopBegin (http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Time-for-Texans-to-show-toughness-is-now-2192167.php#loopBegin)

papillon
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
An away game with a banged up and inexperienced O-line, I don't have a good feeling about this one. The good news is, it's the NFL and anything can happen week to week.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Tomlin Report - Heading to Houston

By Kenneth Torgent | Tue, 09/27/2011

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/sites/default/files/imagecache/lead-image-full/Steelers_TomlinGR0L5766.jpg

After barely escaping with a win in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh will continue its tour of the AFC South with a trip to Houston to play the 2-1 Texans and their high-flying offense.

LAST WEEK

Texans: Houston led for much of the game and pushed its lead to eleven with a score early in the fourth quarter, only to see the New Orleans Saints battle back and defeat the Texans 40-33. The Texans surrendered three touchdowns in the fourth quarter to New Orleans, who pulled ahead for good with a Mark Ingram rushing touchdown in the game’s final three minutes.

Steelers: Pittsburgh survived a squeaker with Shaun Suisham hitting a game-winning 38-yard field goal in the game’s final seconds for a 23-20 Steelers victory. The black-and-gold fired on all cylinders early, but gave the Colts 13 easy points on three consecutive turnovers. Troy Polamalu’s fumble return (set up by a James Harrison sack) put Pittsburgh back on top in the fourth quarter, but the defense let Colts QB Curtis Painter march down the field for a tying score. However, Big Ben and the offense shined in a two-minute drill to set up what would by the game-winning field goal.

BEHIND ENEMY LINES

A Look Around the AFC North

Baltimore (2-1) evoked memories of week one with a dominant 37-7 win over the St. Louis Rams, which helped to cover up the letdown at the hands of the Titans one week earlier. Rookie wide receiver Torrey Smith opened some eyes, turning his first three professional catches into his first three professional touchdowns. He would finish with five grabs for 152 yards and the three scores.

One thing to look at going forward: Joe Flacco dropped back to pass more than twice as much as Baltimore ran the ball, despite the success that Ray Rice has had this season. Rice, of course, did as much as he could with his nine carries (81 yards, not too shabby) to go with his five grabs as a receiver (for another 85 yards). Despite the success, the Ravens might want to balance out their offense a bit with the New York Jets coming to town in week four.

Cincinnati (1-2) found itself on the wrong end of what may turn out to be the least exciting game of the 2011 season, losing 13-8 to the San Francisco 49ers. QB Andy Dalton had his worst game as a professional, racking up only 157 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions. He’ll need to be much better against a red-hot Buffalo team that is one of just three undefeated teams left in the NFL.

Unfortunately, hosting the undefeated Bills might be the least of the team’s worries. The Bengals’ penchant for building around character-deficient players is catching up with them yet again. RB Cedric Benson, who served a week of jail time before the season for a misdemeanor assault charge in the offseason, may be facing a three-game suspension from the league. The Bengals may also lose WR Jerome Simpson to a suspension, after it was found that he was in possession of eight(!) pounds of marijuana (that includes the two-pounds that was mailed to his home; the same package that tipped the fuzz off in the first place).

Cleveland (2-1) pulled out a last-minute 17-16 win over the Miami Dolphins to keep pace with the Steelers and Bengals in the AFC North. QB Colt McCoy had an ugly game early on, but made up for it with the game-winning throw to Mohamed Massaquoi with 43 seconds remaining.

The Browns will prepare to host the Tennessee Titans in week four, likely with the help of RB Peyton Hillis, who missed the Miami game with an illness. Even if Hillis returns, he may yield some carries to fellow-rusher Montario Hardesty, who ran strong in his absence.

MIKE LIKED…

That the team made big plays when it had to, even though the overall performance wasn’t up to snuff.

STEELERS INJURY UPDATE

OLB Chris Carter (hamstring), RT Marcus Gilbert (shoulder), WR Jerricho Cotchery (hamstring), CB Bryant McFadden (hamstring), and WR Mike Wallace (ribs) are all PROBABLE for Sunday’s contest.

Offensive linemen Jonathan Scott (ankle sprain) and Doug Legursky (shoulder) are both QUESTIONABLE along with DE Brett Keisel (PCL sprain) and WR Arnaz Battle (knee)

TEXANS INJURY UPDATE

Coach Gary Kubiak said Monday that RB Arian Foster (hamstring) is "chomping at the bit today to get back on the field full-time," HoustonTexans.com's Nick Scurfield reports.

According to coach Gary Kubiak, RB Derrick Ward is "pretty close to getting back on the field," HoustonTexans.com's Nick Scurfield reports.

CB Kareem Jackson suffered a knee injury during Week 3's loss to New Orleans, but should be fine for this coming week, according to Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, the Texans' official site reports.

LB Mario Williams is day-to-day with a knee injury, but Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said the linebacker is "going to be OK," Fox Sports Houston reports.

MAIN STORYLINE FOR SUNDAY

Can Pittsburgh get its running game on track and take pressure off of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger?

TEXANS TO WATCH

RB Arian Foster – The undrafted Foster was a revelation for the Texans last season, emerging from nowhere to claim the starting running back job in week one, eventually becoming the league’s best rusher by season’s end. The all-purpose runner has just 10 carries this season and was inactive in weeks one and three because of a lingering hamstring injury. Foster’s status is starting to look up coming into week four and he will likely take the lion’s share of the carries against the Steelers. The question is: will he be as dominant as the Foster of last season, or will that hamstring still limit him?

WR Andre Johnson – No disrespect to Reggie Wayne, but Johnson will be Ike Taylor’s biggest challenge in the young season. Taylor is having his best season as a professional and has shut down the opponent’s best receiver in all three of his games this year. Johnson, however, has proven that he is a near impossible assignment for opposing cover-men. Johnson is averaging seven catches and 100+ yards per game this season. If Ike can hold him below that mark, he can consider it a job well done.

DE/LB Mario Williams – With Pittsburgh’s offensive line ailing and possibly starting a third-string tackle in Trai Essex on Sunday, Williams could emerge as a major problem. The former first-overall pick is in his first season as a 3-4 outside linebacker after beginning his career as a defensive end. Williams, at 6’6” and 280 lbs, needs to be kept far away from Ben Roethlisberger if Pittsburgh wants to win its third game of the season.

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/node/3103

Ghost
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM

I thought teams feared Wallace but the Colts just let him run down field with ease... lol.

Teams don't fear the run and they don't fear our OL. Teams need to fear Troy and Harrison though because they looked like they are back in the groove.

Not only are the Titans not worried about (or fearing) Troy and Harrison, they can't wait to play this team.

hawaiiansteel
10-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Steelers come up short against host Texans

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 3, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1334024/38072207E.jpg

Steelers vs. Texans 10/2/11
Houston defeats the Steelers, 17-10, Sunday October 2, 2011 at Reliant Stadium.

HOUSTON — A loss before the leaves have started changing colors doesn't usually provoke the kind of introspection that took place Sunday.

But James Harrison, while the sting from a 17-10 loss to the Houston Texans was still fresh, didn't just say the Steelers "played like garbage."

The All-Pro outside linebacker suggested that cracks may be forming in the Steelers' foundation.

"We've got to get something done because what we're doing is not working right now," Harrison said, his head slightly bowed, after the Steelers dropped to 2-2 and bolstered the Texans' argument for legitimacy. "We've got to get things shored up point-blank period. Whether it's changing this and changing that, I don't know, but we've got to do something because it's not working itself out right now."

That harsh analysis came after maybe the most disheartening and disconcerting defeat of the Mike Tomlin era since a 13-6 loss to the Cleveland Browns in December 2009.

What happened at Reliant Stadium may not have been as lopsided or macabre as what happened last month in Baltimore. But since a season-opening loss to the Ravens, not stopping the run has gone from anomaly to trend after Arian Foster gashed the Steelers for 155 yards and the game-winning touchdown.

And defense may not be the Steelers' bigger concern when it comes to the line. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got pummeled. Only penalties — two wiped out Texans touchdowns and another nullified a fumble recovery — kept the Steelers in the game until the end.

"Foster and company did a nice job running, but we're capable of and better than what we showed," Tomlin said. "I don't think a sense of urgency or a lack of urgency is the issue. It's fundamental football, better blocking and better tackling."

"We need to work on everything," inside linebacker James Farrior said.

Wide receiver Hines Ward took it a step further.

"We're all included, coaches, players," Ward said. "If you're not discouraged, then you don't need to be on this team. We can't keep playing like this."

That might seem like a curious statement considering that the Steelers had more first downs than the Texans (20-17), were outgained by only 22 yards and had a chance to tie the score after Antonio Brown's 33-yard punt return set them up at Houston's 48 with three-and-a-half minutes left in the game.

But some of the players' postgame remarks were similar to ones made two years ago in Cleveland, after a numbing defeat extended a late-season losing streak to five games and pretty much torpedoed the Steelers' playoff chances.

Then there was Roethlisberger.

The eighth-year veteran chose to be optimistic, citing that three of the Steelers' next four games are at Heinz Field, starting Sunday with the Tennessee Titans.

"I guess if there's a time to not be quite right, it's early in the season," Roethlisberger said. "We've been down this road enough times that we know it's about when you get hot. If we can pull together offense, defense, special teams and get hot at the right time, that's all that matters."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ZgYG2tBb (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_759855.html#ixzz1ZgYG2tBb)