PDA

View Full Version : Mathis' Sack/Fumble...

Slapstick
09-26-2011, 06:13 AM
...was not Gilbert's fault...

Gilbert ran Mathis all the way around the pocket...with his back to Ben, he had no way of knowing that Ben had rolled that far left...

Just my opinion...

Not to say that the o-line wasn't manhandled...they were...but that particular play wasn't all on Gilbert...

steelblood
09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I agree. Gilbert did a good job on that play.

I was not thrilled with the Gilbert draft choice. But, I believe that his pass pro is not that bad. He needs to get a quicker slide, but he has that potential. However, his run blocking is a work in progress at best. When he double teams a tackle, he is always slow to chip linebackers filling the hole. I have not seen him redirect and hit second targets yet. He needs to be able to do this in the running game and on blitz pickup. Still, he could turn out to be a decent pro.

Steel Life
09-26-2011, 09:17 AM
...was not Gilbert's fault...

Gilbert ran Mathis all the way around the pocket...with his back to Ben, he had no way of knowing that Ben had rolled that far left...

Just my opinion...

Not to say that the o-line wasn't manhandled...they were...but that particular play wasn't all on Gilbert...
I think Colinsworth had it right...Gilbert did do a good job initially on Mathis, but then he let him go thinking his job was done & didn't realize how relentless Mathis was. Saw some good things from him, he will learn from this & hopefully get better.

steeler_george
09-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I would say Gilbert is playing to his expectations, not perfect with some flaws, but he is playing solid. That was just a great play by Mathis, not giving up on that play even though he was cleared by Gilbert.

Chadman
09-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Add to this- I thought Gilbert had THE BEST BLOCK on Freeney all night after Scott left the game & Gilbert came back in. I think it was a pass to Mewelde Moore out the right side, but if you watch Gilbert vs Freeney, Gilbert just stops him dead with a great stonewall.

steeler_george
09-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I think Scott is done, abosulty lost, beat mentally and physically. What is worse he looks like he puts no effort or emotion in the game. Last year, when he did sh t, he went to the sideline and slammed his helmet to the ground, this year there is no fire. And I thought wow what a great find by the FO when they picked him in FA.

Gilbert welcome to being the new starter at LT and welcome back Essex to the RT.

Chadman
09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Essex was poor after being inserted.

Scott lacks the physical strength I think to hold up against a good pass rush. He has the feet, and the arm length, but if you get up under him, he can't hold off. Most of his problems came when he was faced with a bull rush, being pushed backwards.

Legursky lacks the feet to start it would seem. He has strength, and I believe he 'wants' it, but I'm losing faith.

Kemo lacks nearly every mental requirement- I swear he looks lost most of the time once the ball is snapped.

Foster might actually be our best OG- but even he has serious issues with movement.

I don't think Adams is the answer- not enough movement to be able to cover both OT spots, so restricted simply to one side. Starks- if his neck has improved, might be the right man to bring in- otherwise Stinchcomb or Kuczar might be worth looking at.

As bad as Chris Scott was in pre-season, I'm now starting to wonder if it's time to throw him to the wolves & see how he goes.

Gilbert looks like the future at LT to me- good feet for a rookie, and once he latches on, looks strong. Run blocking could do with some work still.