PDA

View Full Version : As it stands now, the Week 4 starting OLine...

D Rock
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
LT - Jamon Meredith
LG - Chris Kemoeatu
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Chris Scott

And to think some of us thought it couldn't get any worse than what the Steelers had been trotting out before this...

Mario Williams and Antonio Smith just because very happy men.

Iron Shiek
09-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I think you forgot to add myself and yourself to that list DRock.

Pahn711
09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
They better call Starks AND the Hotel tomorrow. Pay the man!

insanesteelersfan
09-25-2011, 11:42 PM

They have already called Flozell, but I read where his agent wants 15 million guaranteed for 2 years, and they won't budge off that. And the Steelers hung up the phone.

D Rock
09-25-2011, 11:42 PM

is there enough salary cap room to pay both now? I'd guess that's highly unlikely.

Pahn711
09-25-2011, 11:44 PM

is there enough salary cap room to pay both now? I'd guess that's highly unlikely.

Flozell seems happy to retire, so he will demand alot of money. But I'd have to think with no demand for Starks he might go for a 1 year minimum just to get back in the league.

Pahn711
09-25-2011, 11:46 PM
And if the Steelers are desperate enough, couldn't they just give huge signing bonuses instead?

insanesteelersfan
09-25-2011, 11:46 PM
One word for you..." STINCHCOMB "

D Rock
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Keeping Essex over Hills. Oops.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-25-2011, 11:51 PM
foster has played a little right tackle.

Pahn711
09-25-2011, 11:53 PM

We are running low on guards too, who knows how bad Legursky is hurt. Not to mention the two lineman not suited up are both tackles.

MaxAMillion
09-25-2011, 11:54 PM

They both suck...we shouldn't be forced to use these bums anyway...thanks Colbert.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-25-2011, 11:57 PM

We are running low on guards too, who knows how bad Legursky is hurt. Not to mention the two lineman not suited up are both tackles.

they need their best 5 out there.

i don't give a damn what letter it says beside their name in the media guide.

AngryAsian
09-25-2011, 11:59 PM
I heard Sean Mahan has been playing LT on an Arena Football team... Maybe we could give him a call. :lol:

DukieBoy
09-26-2011, 12:00 AM
No matter who they put out there, it's the MaginO-Line. They are fat and slow and can't bend their knees and they can just go around them at will, and they can't much move forward to block on running plays.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
People, do you really think if Adams or Starks had anything that they would be out there available ? I think Starks still has issues with his Neck injury, as in not full strength. And Adams, he's being a MERC, wanting ridiculous loot to comeback. We either have to go with a guy like Stinchcomb, or just take a chance on some other teams practice squad O-Linemen. But as is, Adams is a longshot, and Starks is damaged goods I think.

Pahn711
09-26-2011, 12:12 AM
People, do you really think if Adams or Starks had anything that they would be out there available ? I think Starks still has issues with his Neck injury, as in not full strength. And Adams, he's being a MERC, wanting ridiculous loot to comeback. We either have to go with a guy like Stinchcomb, or just take a chance on some other teams practice squad O-Linemen. But as is, Adams is a longshot, and Starks is damaged goods I think.

The point is, these are guys that have a lot of experience and know the system. If they are healthy enough to play, I don't care what other unknown names you pull out of a hat. We can't afford to overlook those guys who could be ready to play like now.

fordfixer
09-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Well what we had on the field tonight looked a lot like this
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnvBXeQ0zcLIYjBcV7bOLAGrSTdCmYM atNczzdeHSFfm-StOZM

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Steelers 23, Colts 20: We Almost Saw a Tight End Play Tackle

Posted on September 26, 2011 by adam

And doesn’t that just about sum it up? An ugly a$$ win is a still a win, but man … wow.

I didn’t expect this game to be an easy win, mainly because there is no such thing as an easy win in the NFL. Especially when you’re going on the road against a desperate team in need of a win on national television. But, even so, I figured the best chance for the Colts to pull off the upset was to have Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis cause chaos, the Steelers turn the ball over, and the Colts defense turn one of them into a touchdown. And that’s almost exactly what happened.

After the Steelers jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first quarter, thanks to an 81-yard touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Mike Wallace, the Steelers offense went into meltdown mode in the final eight minutes of the second quarter, turning the ball over three times (two strip sacks by the aforementioned defensive ends, one of which was returned for a touchdown) and an interception on one of the few bad passes that Roethlisberger threw all night. The Colts managed to turn those turnovers into 13 points and take a field goal lead into the half.

The combination of Freeney-Mathis and the Steelers offensive line kept this game close. And about that offensive line? If you thought they had problems before, well, just read the headline. We almost saw a tight end play tackle. The Steelers dressed seven offensive linemen tonight and all seven of them had to play due to injuries, and then one of the injured players (rookie right tackle Marcus Gilbert) had to return to the game to play left tackle after Jonathan Scott left with some sort of leg injury. Doug Legursky was injured. Scott was injured. Gilbert was injured. Willie Colon is injured.

Overall, the offensive line looked dreadful based on my instant knee jerk reaction. The running game was nonexistent while the Colts were generating an impressive pass rush with what appeared to be just four rushers on most of the snaps. It seemed that on a number of plays the Colts were using a four-man rush and beating six blockers. Easily. Freeney and Mathis are great players, no doubt, but they put on a clinic tonight and nearly won the game by themselves.

After Shaun Suisham drilled a field goal attempt off the upright late in the third quarter, he hit a 40-yarder early in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 13. Eventually, James Farrior caught Kerry Collins with a hit that may draw a fine and knocked him out of the game with a possible concussion, which led to Curtis Painter coming off the bench. He had a bad start. After missing a WIDE OPEN Pierre Garcon — after Ike Taylor bit, badly, on a double move — Painter was drilled by James Harrison. Painter lost the ball and Troy Polamalu was there to scoop it up and walk into the end zone for a go-ahead touchdown with five minutes to play.

Game over, right? Well, you know what they say: You can never give Curtis Painter five minutes to get a game-tying touchdown. What’s that? Nobody says that? Hell.

Painter threw the Colts’ two best passes of the night to help get them deep into Steelers territory. On a third-and-two play from inside the five-yard line, and with just over two minutes to play, Polamalu nearly blew up a play in the backfield but missed it by a split second, allowing the Colts to tie the game at 20.

The Steelers took the ensuing kickoff and moved the ball down the field, thanks to a couple of nice plays from Mewelde Moore, to allow Suisham to kick the game-winner with four seconds to play.

So there it all is. Here are some more thoughts…

– It was just another day at the office for Mike Wallace, catching five passes for 144 yards and an 81-yard touchdown.

– Antonio Brown made a couple of nice catches and had two great punt returns. Second week in a row he’s looked good, which is nice after a slow start in week 1.

– The problem with first impressions is you only get to make one, and the first pass Wesyle Saunders saw in his NFL career bounced off his face mask (he was wide open for what would have been a first down). Amazingly, he was able to use that blunder to show off his athleticism by lunging backward and making a nice one-handed catch, taking the ball away from a Colts defender. But still, that was a big drop.

– Emmanuel Sanders had a big drop on the first drive, allowing a perfectly thrown pass from Roethlisberger to go through his hands and forcing the Steelers to settle for a field goal. Still, his worst mistake of the night was not tagging down a defender following an interception. Not only did he not touch the guy, he actually WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO AVOID HIM (he jumped over him). He did have a bit catch on third and 18 later in the game.

– Troy Polamalu looked like Troy Polamalu. Aaron Smith looked like he is done.

– Reggie Wayne was targeted on 13 passes. He caught three for 24 yards, a long of 11, and at least two of those passes were of the bubble screen variety. Ike Taylor playing great? Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter playing like Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter? Yes. And Yes

– When he wasn’t turning the ball over Roethlisberger looked great, I thought. The final line is impressive, completing 28 of 37 passes for 364 yards (over nine yards per attempt) and a touchdown.

– Is there anybody out there that can play tackle?

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/s ... #more-6308 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/09/steelers-23-colts-20-tight-play-tackle/#more-6308)

Steel Life
09-26-2011, 01:13 AM
I think this game had better put the state of the O-Line into perspective & shut up those who harp on Ben hanging onto the ball too long being the problem. These guys generated no push in the run-game & were flat-out manhandled for the second time this year. Ben & Mendy are going to get killed behind this line & with BA's tone-deaf play-calling (& I used to think that Mike Martz was the most neglectful OC in the NFL). Make no mistake, the success of this year's team lays at the feet of the OL, let's hope that Ben isn't lying there as well.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Offensive line still requires some help

Monday, September 26, 2011
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts galloped onto the carpet at Lucas Oil Stadium to the thundering chords of a rock anthem by The Who, an interesting choice for a team with a starting lineup littered with names that triggered that very question:

Who?

Kerry Collins is a known commodity, if not a terribly valued one at quarterback in place of Peyton Manning, but what about an Indianapolis defense that was featuring more subs than Quizno's?

Eric Foster started at defensive tackle instead of Fili Moala. Philip Wheeler started at linebacker instead of Pat Angerer, who slid over to play another linebacker spot in place of Gary Brackett. David Caldwell started at strong safety instead of Melvin Bullitt, and on offense, Mike Pollak started at right guard instead of Ryan Diem.

Not all that bad for a club that listed 12 players as questionable on its Friday injury report.

If all that sounds like the kind of opponent a good team should chew up and spit out without any excess masticating, it's interesting that the Steelers almost choked on it instead. The Colts were in position last night to stink even worse than they had in losing to Houston and Cleveland before their not-ready-for-prime-time appearance on NBC's Sunday night showcase.

But it wasn't any of that chicken wire and duct tape the Colts brought to this meeting of erstwhile AFC powers that proved decisive, it was rather the alleged starting tackles in front of Ben Roethlisberger.

The matchups most Steelers fans had feared all week turned out to be just about as hair-raising as anticipated. The people charged with fending off Indianapolis defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis failed just often enough to turn a 10-0 PittsburghSteelers lead into a 13-10 deficit problem that wouldn't seem to go away.

It was only when James Harrison finally discovered the Colts were almost equally vulnerable in the same exact spot -- specifically rookie left tackle Anthony Castonzo -- that Mike Tomlin's team righted itself in a wild fourth quarter and swiped a 23-20 victory on SeanShaun Suisham's late, late field goal.

Harrison beat Castonzo and slammed into Curtis Painter, the backup backup (cq) quarterback, with the resultant fumble one-hopping to Troy Polamalu, who danced in for Pittsburgh'sthe Steelers' only second-half touchdown.

That kind of thing went on pretty much all night.

Mathis, working against Steelers rookie Marcus Gilbert, dragged the Colts off the mat early in the second quarter when he ran Roethlisberger down from behind, separated 7 from the ball, and pounced on it at the 50.

Twelve fitful plays later, the Colts chopped the lead to 10-3 on a 21-yard kick from Adam Vinatieri, the only player on the field actually older than Collins.

Freeney, working against veteran left tackle Jonathan Scott, swooped in on Ben on the very next possession and forced another fumble that bounced directly to Colts' defensive end Jamaal Anderson, who escaped Gilbert's dreary attempt at a tackle and rumbled 47 yards along the hash marks to the Pittsburgh endzoneSteelers end zone and a 10-10 tie.

Not content with back-to-back turnovers and unable to run against Indianapolis's 30th-ranked rush defense, the Steelers went right back to deep passing game with disastrous results. Roethlisberger's high throw to Sanders on a post pattern flew long into the hands of rookie defensive back Joe Lefeged, who returned it 25 yards to the PittsburghSteelers 27, where officials tacked on a 15-yard penalty against Antonio Brown for a low block, moving the ball to the 12. Collins missed badly on twoendzone end zone throws from there, but Vinatieri doesn't miss from there, and it was 13-10.

More ominously, the Steelers' severe offensive line problems were only beginning. The right flank soon disappeared altogether when both Gilbert and Doug Legursky went to the sideline with shoulder trouble. Ramon Foster and Trai Essex supplanted them, but the real damage was still piling up on the opposite edge around Scott.

In his increasing desperation to keep Freeney off Roethlisberger, Scott held him to stall a promising drive the Steelers put together in large part due to Heath Miller. They settled for Sean Suisham's 44-yard field goal and a 13-13 tie.

On their next possession, the Steelers moved easily to the Indianapolis 31 after Brown's 37-yard punt return, but Scott lined up in the backfield to draw a penalty, then let Freeney sack Roethlisberger again to push Pittsburgh the Steelers out of field-goal range.

You have thought, at this point, the Steelers would at least offer Scott some help with Freeney, but on third-and-8 at their own 37 on the next possession, Miller lined up in the backfield to the right of Roethlisberger instead of to the left of Scott -- on Freeney's nose -- and Freeney promptly pushed Scott all the way into Ben's shins still again.

It was then only then someone decided to give Scott some help, lining Miller up against Freeney and protecting Ben long enough to float a 22-yard pass to MweldeMewelde Moore to spark a 60-yard drive to the winning field goal. Even at that, Scott was flattened by Freeney on the next play and left the field, forcing Gilbert, bad shoulder or no, back into the lineup at the opposite tackle.

How far can you go with an offense that can't run and can't protect?

Not terribly.

Still have the number down at the Flozell Hotel?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11269/11 ... z1Z1lLp6J8 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11269/1177727-150-0.stm#ixzz1Z1lLp6J8)

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 02:46 AM
I'd say we're looking at a starting OL of Essux-Kemo-Pouncey-Legursky-Gilbert on Sunday assuming J Scott can't go with Ramon Foster and C Scott dressing as subs...

from Scott Brown via Twitter @ ScottBrown_Trib:

Jonathan Scott had his left ankle wrapped in ice and was on crutches after the game. Legursky and Gilbert said they will be fine.

papillon
09-26-2011, 06:02 AM
I think this game had better put the state of the O-Line into perspective & shut up those who harp on Ben hanging onto the ball too long being the problem. These guys generated no push in the run-game & were flat-out manhandled for the second time this year. Ben & Mendy are going to get killed behind this line & with BA's tone-deaf play-calling (& I used to think that Mike Martz was the most neglectful OC in the NFL). Make no mistake, the success of this year's team lays at the feet of the OL, let's hope that Ben isn't lying there as well.

The three turnovers were not problems with the O-line, they were three bad decisions by Ben, playing against Freeney and Mathis there has to be a clock in your head that tells you it's time to give up on a play (particularly, if you don't know where Mathis and Freeney are) and the INT was just a bad throw that sailed high on him. The O-line in each instance was successful. Overall, the O-line was as putrid, but those three plays Ben had the time necessary to make better decisions, IMO.

Pappy

Shawn
09-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Exactly, what were the Steelers thinking. I acknowledge I am not any sort of OL expert. But, reports agreed with my eyes, that Hills was finally shaping up into a good OLman. Then he is cut the next week. I'm at a loss.

steelblood
09-26-2011, 07:23 AM
shawn, i wonder if hills said something or did something the team didn't approve of when he was told that he'd lost the job at RG.

SteelBucks
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Exactly, what were the Steelers thinking. I acknowledge I am not any sort of OL expert. But, reports agreed with my eyes, that Hills was finally shaping up into a good OLman. Then he is cut the next week. I'm at a loss.

Is Hills available? Hard to believe that Kemo and Pouncey are the only healthy players on the o-line.....including back-ups.

D Rock
09-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Is Hills available? Hard to believe that Kemo and Pouncey are the only healthy players on the o-line.....including back-ups.

Hills went to Denver.

As for Kemo and Pouncey being the only healthy guys...one of them is a week back from injury, and the other has an ankle that could be an issue at any time. Ankles are easy to re-injure for a year or so after the initial injury from my experience, and we saw that happen to him once already this preseason.

SuperSize
09-26-2011, 07:55 AM

The three turnovers were not problems with the O-line, they were three bad decisions by Ben, playing against Freeney and Mathis there has to be a clock in your head that tells you it's time to give up on a play (particularly, if you don't know where Mathis and Freeney are) and the INT was just a bad throw that sailed high on him. The O-line in each instance was successful. Overall, the O-line was as putrid, but those three plays Ben had the time necessary to make better decisions, IMO.

Pappy

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the sack/fumbles, at least on the Freeney sack. On Mathis's sack, Ben was scrambling, looking for Mathis knowing he was behind him, but didn't get rid of the ball. On Freeney's sack, SCOTT NEVER LAYED A GLOVE ON HIM - A TOTAL WHIFF! Ben never had a chance.

Pete

SteelBucks
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I'd say we're looking at a starting OL of Essux-Kemo-Pouncey-Legursky-Gilbert on Sunday assuming J Scott can't go with Ramon Foster and C Scott dressing as subs...

from Scott Brown via Twitter @ ScottBrown_Trib:

Jonathan Scott had his left ankle wrapped in ice and was on crutches after the game. Legursky and Gilbert said they will be fine.

I expect Scott to miss some time. As it stands now, IMO, we're now looking at a Gilbert-Kemo-Pouncey-Legursky-Essex oline. I'm hoping they will at least look into bringing Adams back. He'd help solidify the right side.

Stewie
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
What continues to concern me is the lack of aggressiveness in the OL. Scott outweighs Freeney by at least 50 lbs. Same on the other side. Never saw a punch. Watching Gilbert staring at the fumble was painful.

Steel Life
09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm hoping Foster gets the start over Legursky, saw better results with him at LG than we have with Legursky at RG. Also...while we're fretting about who's out there - Chris Degeare is on the Vikings PS & the Steelers brought him in when he was available for the draft.

steeler_george
09-26-2011, 10:06 AM
LT - Jamon Meredith
LG - Chris Kemoeatu
C - Maurkice Pouncey
RG - Ramon Foster
RT - Chris Scott

And to think some of us thought it couldn't get any worse than what the Steelers had been trotting out before this...

Mario Williams and Antonio Smith just because very happy men.

I think it will go something like this:

LT-Gilbert
LG- Kemo/Foster
C- Pouncey
RT- Leg/Foster
RT-Essex

With Meredith, Scott, and Foster being active.

I think this game had better put the state of the O-Line into perspective & shut up those who harp on Ben hanging onto the ball too long being the problem. These guys generated no push in the run-game & were flat-out manhandled for the second time this year. Ben & Mendy are going to get killed behind this line & with BA's tone-deaf play-calling (& I used to think that Mike Martz was the most neglectful OC in the NFL). Make no mistake, the success of this year's team lays at the feet of the OL, let's hope that Ben isn't lying there as well. :Agree :shock: :(

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Well apparantely Starks is trimmed down and healthy because he plans on meeting with the Vikings today. If there is any interest of the Steelers to bring in a vet the obvious choices would be Starks or Adams because if they were in shape they could actually slide right in for next week. The biggest problem is the salary cap and I'm not sure the Steelers have any room to bring any vet in. Buckle up...It gets rough ahead.

steeler_george
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Well apparantely Starks is trimmed down and healthy because he plans on meeting with the Vikings today. If there is any interest of the Steelers to bring in a vet the obvious choices would be Starks or Adams because if they were in shape they could actually slide right in for next week. The biggest problem is the salary cap and I'm not sure the Steelers have any room to bring any vet in. Buckle up...It gets rough ahead.

Hey plain I agree, Starks and Hotel would be logical choices, but it shows that the team is cash strapped, because they would of signed either one when Colon went down. But then again they didn't truely see how much J Scott sucks this year.

NWNewell
09-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Pappy

Sorry pap, at least one fumble (from the Freeney hit) can't be blamed on Ben. He barely completed his drop and was crushed from the blind side. There was no that blintz Ben missed. You have to assume the O-line is at least going to get a chip on him. They barely achieved that.

The INT was obviously your typical Ben-Bonehead-Play.

And I'll give you the Mathis hit too. Ben was trying to be aware of him, scrambling looking behind to see if Mathis was coming. Unfortunately, it seemed like he was in Ben's blind spot (or somehow Ben didn't see him). Seemed more "unlucky" than neglect. But none the less, after that much time and when he is scrambling, it's all on Ben to take care of the football.

insanesteelersfan
09-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Well both Gilbert and Legursky seem to think they will play at Houston....

Steelers | Doug Legursky says he will play Week 4
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:05:06 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers C Doug Legursky (shoulder) said he will be ready to play in the team's Week 4 game.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: CBSSports.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Marcus Gilbert says he will play Week 4
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:06:43 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers OT Marcus Gilbert (shoulder) said he will be ready

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Z4fw7owH

Eddie Spaghetti
09-26-2011, 11:55 AM
legursky needs to go back to the bench.

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Post-Indianapolis thoughts

posted by Dale Lolley
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2011

I feel badly for Jonathan Scott.

I know, I know, he had a tough game. But do you blame Scott for that, or do you blame the people who felt he was capable of blocking Dwight Freeney?

Scott, by the way, looks like he'll be out for the next couple of weeks.

He was in a walking boot after the game.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Steel Life
09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
And to rub salt in our wounds & prove a point I've made about our GM's lack of action with the OL, here's an article from Pro Football Talk about the Ravens' recent OL pick-ups...

Ravens find another solution with Andre Gurode
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 26, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT

In late August, the Ravens offensive line looked like the team’s biggest weakness.

Thanks to two late free agent pickups, it may wind up being a strength. We wrote about left tackle Bryant McKinnie’s impressive debut a few weeks ago.

Another former Pro Bowler, Andre Gurode, made his debut as a starter at left guard on Sunday and looked great by all accounts. Gurode needed some extra time learning how to play left guard after starting at center for so long in Dallas.

Baltimore was tripped up in Tennessee, but overall they have looked like a stronger 2-1 team than the Steelers. With an out of division schedule against the AFC South and NFC West, Baltimore has a great opportunity to rack up a big win total this year.

Add this to the Pats picking up Brian Waters & it only emphasizes that there were opportunities out there to improve this OL & Colbert refused to consider them.

fordfixer
09-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Upon further review: Steelers

September, 26, 2011
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... steelers-2 (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/32222/upon-further-review-steelers-2)

By Jamison Hensley

Revisiting the Pittsburgh Steelers' 23-20 win at the Indianapolis Colts:

The Steelers' struggling offensive line is beginning to break down just three weeks into the season.

Three starters -- left tackle Jonathan Scott, right guard Doug Legursky and right tackle Marcus Gilbert -- left the game with injuries, and their availability is uncertain for Sunday's game at Houston. The injury to Scott, who was beaten repeatedly by Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney, looks to be the most serious.

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin didn't provide an update after the game and wouldn't specify the injury to Scott. "I don't know what it is," he said. "I am not going to speculate."

It appeared as if Scott sprained his ankle. Gilbert hurt his shoulder, and Legursky separated his shoulder. Because the Steelers only suited up seven offensive linemen, Gilbert had to return to the game when Scott had to be helped off the field.

If Gilbert and Legursky are sidelined, the Steelers would start Ramon Foster at right guard and Trai Essex at right tackle.

To address left tackle, the Steelers might have to reach out to Flozell Adams or Max Starks, both of whom were released by the team at the end of July. Adams, a left tackle who switched to the right side for Pittsburgh last season, would seem to be the preferable option to the team because the Steelers have remained in contact with him.

STAT THAT STICKS: 27 -- Game-winning drives in the fourth quarter that Ben Roethlisberger has delivered (which includes playoffs) in eight NFL seasons.

OVERHEARD: "We walked out of here with a win. Did we play well? No, we know we didn't play well. Do we got to get better? Yes, and we will get better." Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward on the tougher-than-expected win at Indianapolis.

LOOKING AHEAD: The Steelers (2-1) play at the Texans (2-1), who are coming off their first loss of the season (a 40-33 defeat at New Orleans).

fordfixer
09-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Tomlin: Steelers “not perfect by any stretch”

By WILL GRAVES, AP Sports Writer 10 minutes ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Marcus Gilbert(notes) and Doug Legursky’s(notes) left shoulders appear to be OK. Maybe. Jonathan Scott’s(notes) left ankle remains tender but not terrible. Probably.

Still, if you’re an out-of-work offensive lineman, there could be a call from the Pittsburgh Steelers in your near future.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday the Steelers are “open to looking to maybe bring someone in” this week to provide the team with some much-needed depth after three starters had to be helped off the field during Sunday night’s 23-20 victory over Indianapolis.

Tomlin stressed the team is looking for depth, not someone to show up on Wednesday and be ready to play in Sunday’s game at Houston.

“It would just be for practice purposes only,” Tomlin said.

At least, as of now. Given the perpetual state of flux the line has been for the last two seasons, Tomlin knows it’s too early to rule anything out.

If Scott can’t go, veteran Trai Essex(notes)—signed off the street earlier this month—will be in charge of protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s(notes) blind side at left tackle against the Texans (2-1).

His job? Try and hold off a Houston pass rush led by Mario Williams(notes). Not exactly the player the Steelers want to see after allowing Indianapolis defensive ends Dwight Freeney(notes) and Robert Mathis(notes) wreak havoc in the backfield in front of a national audience, sacking Ben Roethlisberger three times and forcing him to put it on the ground twice.

Tomlin gave credit to Freeney and Mathis rather than point fingers at his players, though he acknowledges the line needs to get better if the Steelers want to take some of the pressure off Roethlisberger.

The running game is 20th in the league in yards per game (85.7) and 26th in yards per attempt (3.3). Not exactly the formula the franchise typically uses to win games.

Tomlin would like the offense to be more balanced but refuses to place blame on the line or running back Rashard Mendenhall(notes).

“We’re still very much a team in development in that area,” he said. “I’m trying not to frame it.”

Plugging holes along the line is almost an annual challenge for the Steelers. They did it with aplomb last year, using seven different starting combinations en route to a Super Bowl appearance.

If Scott can’t play, the line will have its fourth different lineup in as many games.

There haven’t been nearly as many injuries on defense, and there’s proof the Steelers are starting to round into shape after getting whipped in Baltimore in the season opener.

Pittsburgh shutout lifeless Seattle and held the Colts to 241 yards even though Indianapolis managed a late touchdown drive to tie the game at 20 behind lightly experienced backup quarterback Curtis Painter(notes).

The defense could get a boost on Sunday if defensive end Brett Keisel’s(notes) sprained knee continues to improve. Keisel sat out last week, though third-year man Ziggy Hood(notes) held his own.

Though Tomlin says the run defense could be better, the Steelers have been solid against the pass, allowing a mere 164 yards per game. Linebacker James Harrison(notes) continues to round into form as he comes back from a pair of offseason back surgeries, registering a sack and forced fumble that safety Troy Polamalu(notes) returned for a touchdown.

Tomlin laughed when asked if there’s evidence the 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year appears to be getting healthier.

“He’s a sandbagger,” Tomlin said, “we expect that.”

The Steelers also expect their turnover problems to end. Pittsburgh is minus-9 through three games, easily the worst turnover ratio in the league.

Despite the mistakes, they’re still 2-1 on the season. The miscues, while highly visible, haven’t damaged the season. Yet.

“We were not perfect by any stretch,” Tomlin said. “We’re very much a team in development … but it’s encouraging to see necessary plays in all three phases of the game.”

fordfixer
09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Help wanted! Steelers exploring options for injury ravaged offensive line
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... s_redskins (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/help-wanted-steelers-exploring-options-for-injury-ravaged-offensive-line/2011/09/27/gIQAOeXH2K_story.html?wprss=rss_redskins)

By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, September 27, 1:14 PM

PITTSBURGH — Marcus Gilbert and Doug Legursky’s left shoulders appear to be OK. Maybe. Jonathan Scott’s left ankle remains tender but not terrible. Probably.

Still, if you’re an out-of-work offensive lineman, there could be a call from the Pittsburgh Steelers in your near future.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday the Steelers are “open to looking to maybe bring someone in” this week to provide the team with some much-needed depth after three starters had to be helped off the field during Sunday night’s 23-20 victory over Indianapolis.

Tomlin stressed the team is looking for depth, not someone to show up on Wednesday and be ready to play in Sunday’s game at Houston.

“It would just be for practice purposes only,” Tomlin said.

At least, as of now. Given the perpetual state of flux the line has been for the last two seasons, Tomlin knows it’s too early to rule anything out.

If Scott can’t go, veteran Trai Essex — signed off the street earlier this month — will be in charge of protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s blind side at left tackle against the Texans (2-1).

His job? Try and hold off a Houston pass rush led by Mario Williams. Not exactly the player the Steelers want to see after allowing Indianapolis defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis wreak havoc in the backfield in front of a national audience, sacking Ben Roethlisberger three times and forcing him to put it on the ground twice.

Tomlin gave credit to Freeney and Mathis rather than point fingers at his players, though he acknowledges the line needs to get better if the Steelers want to take some of the pressure off Roethlisberger.

The running game is 20th in the league in yards per game (85.7) and 26th in yards per attempt (3.3). Not exactly the formula the franchise typically uses to win games.

Tomlin would like the offense to be more balanced but refuses to place blame on the line or running back Rashard Mendenhall.

“We’re still very much a team in development in that area,” he said. “I’m trying not to frame it.”

Plugging holes along the line is almost an annual challenge for the Steelers. They did it with aplomb last year, using seven different starting combinations en route to a Super Bowl appearance.

If Scott can’t play, the line will have its fourth different lineup in as many games.

There haven’t been nearly as many injuries on defense, and there’s proof the Steelers are starting to round into shape after getting whipped in Baltimore in the season opener.

Pittsburgh shutout lifeless Seattle and held the Colts to 241 yards even though Indianapolis managed a late touchdown drive to tie the game at 20 behind lightly experienced backup quarterback Curtis Painter.

The defense could get a boost on Sunday if defensive end Brett Keisel’s sprained knee continues to improve. Keisel sat out last week, though third-year man Ziggy Hood held his own.

Though Tomlin says the run defense could be better, the Steelers have been solid against the pass, allowing a mere 164 yards per game. Linebacker James Harrison continues to round into form as he comes back from a pair of offseason back surgeries, registering a sack and forced fumble that safety Troy Polamalu returned for a touchdown.

Tomlin laughed when asked if there’s evidence the 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year appears to be getting healthier.

“He’s a sandbagger,” Tomlin said, “we expect that.”

The Steelers also expect their turnover problems to end. Pittsburgh is minus-9 through three games, easily the worst turnover ratio in the league.

Despite the mistakes, they’re still 2-1 on the season. The miscues, while highly visible, haven’t damaged the season. Yet.

“We were not perfect by any stretch,” Tomlin said. “We’re very much a team in development ... but it’s encouraging to see necessary plays in all three phases of the game.”

hawaiiansteel
09-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Latest Steelers News - RapidReports

Sept. 27, 2011
by Chuck Finder

Essex may switch to left OT, Gilbert back at right if Jonathan Scott (sprained ankle) can't play. Rookie OT Marcus Gilbert would start at his customary right tackle and swingman Trai Essex will start at left OT, Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his news conference.

He listed Scott as questionable along with starting right guard Doug Legursky (shoulder). Ex-starter Ramon Foster would replace Legursky if need be.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT

Shawn
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
shawn, i wonder if hills said something or did something the team didn't approve of when he was told that he'd lost the job at RG.

It does make one wonder.

Pahn711
09-27-2011, 05:05 PM
My question is, if Scott and Legursky can't go, Essex plays tackle and Foster RG, who is the top backup guard? I'm pretty sure they don't have any other guards on the roster. I guess they can move Essex to guard and one of the other backup tackles up but I'm wondering about the position flexibility of those backup guys.

hawaiiansteel
09-27-2011, 05:25 PM
My question is, if Scott and Legursky can't go, Essex plays tackle and Foster RG, who is the top backup guard? I'm pretty sure they don't have any other guards on the roster. I guess they can move Essex to guard and one of the other backup tackles up but I'm wondering about the position flexibility of those backup guys.

Chris Scott was the early camp sensation and leading candidate to start at RG until he lost the job and got moved to RT.

Pahn711
09-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Chris Scott was the early camp sensation and leading candidate to start at RG until he lost the job and got moved to RT.

Ah yeah thats true, I forgot about that. Well considering his "tryout" at guard didn't even impress the coaches enough to make him a top backup, heres to hoping that doesn't happen.

papillon
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Pappy

Sorry pap, at least one fumble (from the Freeney hit) can't be blamed on Ben. He barely completed his drop and was crushed from the blind side. There was no that blintz Ben missed. You have to assume the O-line is at least going to get a chip on him. They barely achieved that.

The INT was obviously your typical Ben-Bonehead-Play.

And I'll give you the Mathis hit too. Ben was trying to be aware of him, scrambling looking behind to see if Mathis was coming. Unfortunately, it seemed like he was in Ben's blind spot (or somehow Ben didn't see him). Seemed more "unlucky" than neglect. But none the less, after that much time and when he is scrambling, it's all on Ben to take care of the football.

Well, as we find out the Freeney sack/strip was Ben's fault. The play was supposed to be a 3 step quick hit pass play, but Ben and Wallace signaled each other to look deep and J. Scott set up for a 3 step drop and appeared to get beaten cleanly by Freeney. The reality is that Ben checked out of the play, but only let Wallace in on the play. Review of the film also show that even had Ben been able to get the play off to Wallace and it was complete, it would have been called back for an ineligible linemen down field. Kemo had moved down field to block thinking the pass was a 3 step quick hitter.

But, as we all know, you take the good with the bad with Ben, I'm fine with it, because he's exciting to watch. I'm glad he plays for the Steelers.

Pappy