PDA

View Full Version : Fire Arians

steelnavy
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Ben is trying too hard to make up for this miserable excuse of an offense. It has too much talent to play this poorly. Get rid of Arians and they instantly get better.

Steelhere10
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
BA is an idiot, and JS sucks. Simple as that.

pfelix73
09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Agreed. Arians can take his freaking fav. TE/FB David Johnson along with him too.

:tt1

Steelhere10
09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
He want even play Redman while Mendenhall continues to tip.

pfelix73
09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Well, some of these running plays BA has in there are doomed before they even run the play. You see the one running play where JS was blocking down the line right where #34 was trying to run? It was doomed before 34 got the ball. Start with some better running plays, get a real FB in there to help out, then maybe it will put the Olinemen in a better situation to block who they need to block. When they run those pulls to the right, with Kemo leading, they have some success. They tried one tonight in 1st half going to the left.. Went no where. Hope 2nd half they get Redman in there for some carries....

pittpete
09-25-2011, 11:47 PM
All these trap blocks and pulling guys is too much for this non-athletic ragtag line.
What ever happen to man on man blocking?
BTW, there was no creativity what so ever on BA's part tonight.
Same old garbage with no adjustments.

Pahn711
09-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Only so many adjustments you can make when your o-line is getting dominated that badly...

pfelix73
09-25-2011, 11:53 PM
That's what traps are- man on man blocking.....What was a bit strange was when there on the final drive, Moore had a better time of it picking up some yardage than #34 did. Kemo hit the hole pretty hard on a few of those and Moore picked up a good 5-7 yards each time.....

Well, a win is a win... Are we calling Flozell now? Injuries are running rampant..

MaxAMillion
09-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Ben is trying too hard to make up for this miserable excuse of an offense. It has too much talent to play this poorly. Get rid of Arians and they instantly get better.

Too much talent? We have the worst OL in the NFL...thanks Colbert.

DukieBoy
09-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Arians left Scott uncovered and w/o a TE most of the night, nobody to help slow down Freeney or whoever's name on the back that Scott was reading all night, when Freeney or whoever didn't pancake him because he can't bend his knees because he is too overweight to move much. What sense does is make to leave him on an island with Freeney all night?

hawaiiansteel
09-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Only so many adjustments you can make when your o-line is getting dominated that badly...

:Agree

DukieBoy
09-26-2011, 12:03 AM

Yes, but why not protect Ben's blind side better than leaving a journeyman OT on an island with Freeney all night? It's turnovers just waiting to happen.

papillon
09-26-2011, 12:05 AM

I disagree with the talent assessment. The quarterback and tight end are top notch, the receivers are young and learning (I'll give them above average, barely), Mendenhall is what he is, sometimes good and sometimes not so good, and the O-line is a disaster, including Pouncey right now. Sepulveda is the most consistent Steeler right now and that's bad when your punter is playing the best football.

This offense isn't going to be consistent enough this year to make noise in the playoffs (provided the Steelers get there). The defense isn't good enough this year to cover up the offensive problems.

The Steelers are -9 in turnover ratio (I think) and they are at 2-1, only because the two wins are against teams that aren't going to win more than 4 games this year. The talent seems to be there, but I don't think some of the players are as good as we think.

This game should have been over in the second quarter.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Well, some of these running plays BA has in there are doomed before they even run the play. You see the one running play where JS was blocking down the line right where #34 was trying to run? It was doomed before 34 got the ball. Start with some better running plays, get a real FB in there to help out, then maybe it will put the Olinemen in a better situation to block who they need to block. When they run those pulls to the right, with Kemo leading, they have some success. They tried one tonight in 1st half going to the left.. Went no where.

It's like BA is determined to run those same plays no matter what the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel may be.

Pahn711
09-26-2011, 12:08 AM

Yes, but why not protect Ben's blind side better than leaving a journeyman OT on an island with Freeney all night? It's turnovers just waiting to happen.

I noticed plenty of times Scott was all alone, thats true. But I think that has to do with the fact that the Colts seems to be blitzing more guys from the other side. Not to mention it seems like they run to the right more too...

Did you notice Mathis running around to Freeny's side on quite a few blitzes? They were stacking the other side on purpose.

MaxAMillion
09-26-2011, 12:15 AM

Why not make sure you don't have a journeyman garbage tackle protecting your franchise QB's blind side. Looking at it that way would actually involve placing some blame on Colbert rather than everybody's favorite whipping boy Arians. Amazing how Colbert gets a pass for basically putting together an OL that is made up of parts other teams wouldn't consider using as starters (excluding Pouncey).

Steel Life
09-26-2011, 02:03 AM

Why not make sure you don't have a journeyman garbage tackle protecting your franchise QB's blind side. Looking at it that way would actually involve placing some blame on Colbert rather than everybody's favorite whipping boy Arians. Amazing how Colbert gets a pass for basically putting together an OL that is made up of parts other teams wouldn't consider using as starters (excluding Pouncey).
Well said...I've been banging that drum since training camp. Colbert is responsible for this mess & he needs to step up & do something worthwhile to save the season...if not his starting QB & RB. And one more thing...whoever he has scouting for O-Lineman has got to go.

DukieBoy
09-26-2011, 07:20 AM

Well said...I've been banging that drum since training camp. Colbert is responsible for this mess & he needs to step up & do something worthwhile to save the season...if not his starting QB & RB. And one more thing...whoever he has scouting for O-Lineman has got to go.

Agreed that there is a long-term problem and Colbert is responsible, and this must be fixed. And yet, in the immediate sense, it seems foolhardy to put Scott out there 1-on-1 with somebody he clearly cannot handle, and leave Ben exposed to a blindside hit for reasons of potential turnovers, game-changing plays, and (even more significant) risk of losing your franchise QB for weeks or a full season.

Djfan
09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
In poker, when you are dealt a bad hand, you play it as best you can anyway. You don't play it like you have a royal flush anyway, as if that will be OK.

Not BA. He seems to think that he can do whatever he wants and somehow Ben will bail him out.

It's time he learned to play to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. I bet we are the easiest team in the league to scout. You watch one game and you know what seven plays we use.

Crazy.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-26-2011, 09:00 AM
In poker, when you are dealt a bad hand, you play it as best you can anyway. You don't play it like you have a royal flush anyway, as if that will be OK.

Not BA. He seems to think that he can do whatever he wants and somehow Ben will bail him out.

It's time he learned to play to his strengths and away from his weaknesses. I bet we are the easiest team in the league to scout. You watch one game and you know what seven plays we use.

Crazy.
$$$$$$

The problem is, over his career, BA has shown little capacity to "learn to play to his strengths and away from his weaknesses."

Hence the appropriateness of the title of this thread.

Steel Life
09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
We have no balance on offense & cannot run the ball when we need to grind out the yards - this goes straight to the issue of the O-Line. Yet somehow BA refuses to acknowledge that the O-Line is overmatched & compensate...if Buffalo can do it with a bunch of cast-offs & UDFAs, then he certainly can.

Oviedo
09-26-2011, 09:42 AM

:Agree :Agree No OC in the NFL could produce an effective gameplan with our OL and it just got a lot worse last night.

The state of the OL could scuttle this entire season and cost us a play off spot. Kugler may be good but he can't work miracles when all you have is 3rd string linemen healthy.

NWNewell
09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

I disagree with the talent assessment. The quarterback and tight end are top notch, the receivers are young and learning (I'll give them above average, barely), Mendenhall is what he is, sometimes good and sometimes not so good, and the O-line is a disaster, including Pouncey right now. Sepulveda is the most consistent Steeler right now and that's bad when your punter is playing the best football.

This offense isn't going to be consistent enough this year to make noise in the playoffs (provided the Steelers get there). The defense isn't good enough this year to cover up the offensive problems.

The Steelers are -9 in turnover ratio (I think) and they are at 2-1, only because the two wins are against teams that aren't going to win more than 4 games this year. The talent seems to be there, but I don't think some of the players are as good as we think.

This game should have been over in the second quarter.

Pappy

I have to agree with Pappy, for the most part (I do think our WR's are a little better than "barely, above average").

Our O-Line is going to be hurting us and preventing a consistent, efficient offense all year. Mendy, Redman, and Moore provide a strong RB stable (yes, I believe Mendy is a very good back). But none are "elite" and will not be able to overcome an O-Line that creates zero holes and allows consistent contact in the backfield. And obviously, the pass protection woo's are not getting any better. It doesn't matter much what BA's offensive game plan is if the 0-line can't create any holes or pass block.

Our defense is still very, very good. But they can no longer consistently provide the herculean effort to overcome offensive debacles like they did during the 2008 season. They are now mere mortals.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. Indy's front seven provides unique challenges for the O-Line with their speed and athleticism. Obviously, we did a very poor job handling it. But most other front sevens will present a different type of challenge. Hopefully, changes that the Steeler's O-Line meets with a little more success.

None the less, I feel like we have an 11-5 season coming were we slide into a Wild Card spot solely do to our week schedule.

Djfan
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
So our OC has a crap line to plan around. I agree. Maybe, just maybe, he can figure out that the plays requiring 5-7 seconds to develop are not a good idea for us. The has one quick hit play - bubble screen to Ward. He really got creative last night and threw one to Saunders (I think) and not to Ward. Not there is some cleverness! Man was their D confused on that play!

BradshawsHairdresser
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
So our OC has a crap line to plan around. I agree. Maybe, just maybe, he can figure out that the plays requiring 5-7 seconds to develop are not a good idea for us.
:Clap :Clap :Clap

RuthlessBurgher
09-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Who had 9-25-11 in the "When will the first 'Fire Arians' thread appear during the 2011 season" pool? Time to pay up...

fezziwig
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Without reading any of the coments yet posted on this thread...........Arians is a smuck that doesn't know how to protect or get around our weaknesses, doesn't attack the other teams weaknesses and will continue bearing a dead horse throughout the game.
He has no quality line to count on but hey........find something that works and keeps Ben alive.

snarky
09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
I think the problem last night was that you had two beasts rushing from either side. It was the first game I've watched this season and it was frustrating. But my memory is that last years Arians did an OK (not great) job moving Ben away from the strongest rusher. But last night he was a sitting duck.

I agree with those that are saying it is hard to pin this all on Arians. He doesn't make personnel decisions. I think he does lack creativity and is slow to adjust to the game (last year's SB being a major case in point). But given the OL personnel and the strength coming from the edges last night, I'm not sure how he could game plan around what happened.

LouSteel
09-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I think he does lack creativity and is slow to adjust to the game (last year's SB being a major case in point). But given the OL personnel and the strength coming from the edges last night, I'm not sure how he could game plan around what happened.

First, I definitely agree that this game may not be the best benchmark. The Colt's DL will make plenty of OLs look bad.

But, serious question: if BA isn't creative and doesn't adjust, what do we pay him to do?

The whole point of the OC is to coordinate the offense. And ours doesn't.

snarky
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I think he does lack creativity and is slow to adjust to the game (last year's SB being a major case in point). But given the OL personnel and the strength coming from the edges last night, I'm not sure how he could game plan around what happened.

First, I definitely agree that this game may not be the best benchmark. The Colt's DL will make plenty of OLs look bad.

But, serious question: if BA isn't creative and doesn't adjust, what do we pay him to do?

The whole point of the OC is to coordinate the offense. And ours doesn't.

I'm not here to big the guy up. I think there are better OCs out there. Just pointing out that he does usually try to move Ben around to give him a bit more time. So I would say that he seems to do OK in terms of working with our personnel - and that his shortcomings lie elsewhere.

pittpete
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Just pointing out that he does usually try to move Ben around to give him a bit more time.

Honestly I cant remember the last time Ive seen Ben on a planned roll out.

snarky
09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Just pointing out that he does usually try to move Ben around to give him a bit more time.

Honestly I cant remember the last time Ive seen Ben on a planned roll out.

Like I said, last night was the first game I've watched this season. So I was basing this on (possibly foggy) memories from last year. My memory is that there were a fair number of plays where the pocket was set up to one side or the other (not true roll-outs but more shifts in the pocket location).

Am I the only one who remembers it this way?

hawaiiansteel
09-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Post-Indianapolis thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

How does Mike Wallace just disappear from the game plan as he did in the second quarter?

I know the Steelers turned the ball over three times in the quarter, but it wasn't like they did so without running some plays.

And yet, the team's best playmaker had four balls thrown his way in the first quarter, resulting in three catches for 129 yards and a score – and then nothing.

If I'm throwing a bubble screen or something of that sort, it's going to Wallace - sorry Hines Ward.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

SteelTorch
09-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I'll say it again: I have no clue how anybody can still support Arians or call him a "good" OC. He does nothing to make this offense better. He's average on his BEST days; flat-out bad for most of them.

He's a :loser

NorthCoast
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
It's the same old BA story, he goes away from what's working for reasons that seem to baffle even the most learned football minds.
Did you notice that we got the best runs on formations that looked like passing? and vice versa? OK, maybe it is not all BA. Maybe the Steelers players are just so stupid they can't learn the simplest plays beyond RUTFM or bubble screens. My guess is the opponents finish up their defensive gameplans by Tuesday morning and then kick back the rest of the week. Nearly every play looked like Indy knew what was coming because the Steelers rarely mask their formations.
Meanwhile, Chan Gailey has made the Buffalo offense the masters of in-game adjustments....

pfelix73
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm embarrassed to say once again that this BA character is from my home town. Ugh. I doubt the one local high school team he used to coach for would take him back.

Where are the screens, reverses, sweeps, ingenuity in plays, etc...BA?

So, who is starting the firearians.com website? lol remember when someone had one for Cowher?

Oviedo
09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
It's looking like we need new Coordinators on BOTH sides of the ball. Neither has done well this season and in game adjustments suck for both of them.

People rightly complain about Arians going away from what is working but LeBeau is just as guilty for stubbornly sticking with what IS NOT working.

SteelAbility
09-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Agreed. Arians can take his freaking fav. TE/FB David Johnson along with him too.

Arians and DJ are fully interchangeable. OC, FB, TE, doesn' matter. Fully interchangeable. :wink:

DukieBoy
09-26-2011, 09:35 PM
It's looking like we need new Coordinators on BOTH sides of the ball. Neither has done well this season and in game adjustments suck for both of them.

People rightly complain about Arians going away from what is working but LeBeau is just as guilty for stubbornly sticking with what IS NOT working.

Meanwhile, Washington is imitating the LeBeau defense and looks aggressive, loading the box, blitzing effectively, and dominating.

Djfan
09-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Meanwhile, Washington is imitating the LeBeau defense and looks aggressive, loading the box, blitzing effectively, and dominating.

I don't have a problem with LeBeau's defense. It's the personnel he has in the back field that frustrates the plan and us.

With BA he could have Ben, Jerry Rice, Webster, Emmitt Smith, you name the best ever. He would still be bland, predictable, non-adjusting, lame.

I'm really done with this guy. I wonder about Tomlin who seems to just accept this level of play from such a talent laden offense. That part baffles me.

BTW, here's your site: http://firebrucearians.com/

Steel Life
09-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Anybody have an idea who they bring to replace him? Todd Haley may be unemployed soon...& he was a rabid Steelers fan growing up. Or you can trot out Tom Clements name...he's currently the QB coach for the Packers & he has previous Steel-town experience. But here's some others to start paying attention to...

- Dirk Koetter (OC, Jaguars). Koetter’s has a good rep despite Del Rio but may find the door with him.
- Aaron Kromer (OL, Saints). Well respected by his players, coaches them up & mentored by Sean Peyton.

hawaiiansteel
09-27-2011, 12:22 AM
BTW, here's your site: http://firebrucearians.com/

just like Bruce Arians' play-calling, that site no longer works...

Jooser
09-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Post-Indianapolis thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2011
posted by Dale Lolley

How does Mike Wallace just disappear from the game plan as he did in the second quarter?

I know the Steelers turned the ball over three times in the quarter, but it wasn't like they did so without running some plays.

And yet, the team's best playmaker had four balls thrown his way in the first quarter, resulting in three catches for 129 yards and a score – and then nothing.

If I'm throwing a bubble screen or something of that sort, it's going to Wallace - sorry Hines Ward.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

I agree. In watching the Pat*s game Sunday, Brady and Welker were spot on. The Bills couldn't cover Welker and it worked ALL DAY LONG (Welker had 200+ yrds). Arians doesn't follow the same line of reasoning that alot of coaches use every week. That is, if something is working, keep doing it until the opposing defense can stop it. Then something else will open up for your offense.

and that's all I have to say about that,
-Joos

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/deathdude917/Other/forrest_gump.jpg

feltdizz
09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Brady tried something that didn't work 4 times. LOL...

fezziwig
09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Not that it matters but I wanted to echo what some Browns fans that I know, said about Arians.

They can't believe we win with him for one.

They can't believe Cowher hired him and that he is now our offensive cord.

They can't believe the front office allows this guy to place the quality players we have on offense in his hands and to permit him to impede their talents. ( I think they meant, he doesn't use their talents but, tries to place a square object in a round hole )

Same thing they said that I really agree with,, Arians gets away from what works and insist upon running plays that haven't worked all game.

It's a shame this guy is our OC because this offense could be so much more.

I wonder if the great Arians will be mentioned for any head coaching jobs after this season ? lol

Leper Friend
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
The most disturbing part of this is that everyone in the world can see Jonathon Scott was getting killed by Freeney and it appears that they did absolutely nothing to adjust to this.

The gameplan they put in during the week was good because they moved the ball all over the first quarter. That's great but once Freeney started taking over , they did nothing to compensate for that at all.

I didn't see one screen or one draw. Not one that I can recall. That's one of the most basic ways to slow a pass rush down a little.Give the pass rusher something to think about. But there was nothing , just the same gameplan , and that's what kills me. He has no ability to adjust it seems in some games.

anger 82&95
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
It would be interesting to know how this plays out during coaching meetings. Is BA getting chewed out for showing a lack of creativity, or is there an underlying understanding with the management that the available talent simply isn’t up to par, and thus BA gets the not-your-fault nod?

feltdizz
09-27-2011, 01:00 PM
The problem is our best plays take too long to develop...
Sanders dropped a pass that had TD/1st and GL... Ben waited way too long on the first sack fumble... a lot of our problems are OL related. Until we fix the OL it's hard for me to blame the OC for our failures. Kugler is doing something wrong because he has a history of OL injuries.

Ben still concerns me the most because he seems to "forget" what OL he is playing with once he tosses a TD. The run Ben had when he kept looking back while getting crushed by the DB? WTF was that?

Ben isn't playing consistently good football and while it's early it does concern me. My problem with BA this year is the lack of Redman and those damn bubble/TE screens. They don't work please throw them out.

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
The most disturbing part of this is that everyone in the world can see Jonathon Scott was getting killed by Freeney and it appears that they did absolutely nothing to adjust to this.

The gameplan they put in during the week was good because they moved the ball all over the first quarter. That's great but once Freeney started taking over , they did nothing to compensate for that at all.

I didn't see one screen or one draw. Not one that I can recall. That's one of the most basic ways to slow a pass rush down a little.Give the pass rusher something to think about. But there was nothing , just the same gameplan , and that's what kills me. He has no ability to adjust it seems in some games.
The Oline had a difficult time run blocking with any consistency. Overall, they did a good job pass blocking in the first half. Scott was beat on one play. Scott was late getting off the line on that particular play(Freeny forced fumble). Not sure if he didn't hear the snap count or if there was another issue.

Scott did a good job on Freeney in the first half. Feeney had a difficult time getting around Scott. In the 1st and 2nd half, the coaches gave Scott help in various ways. Sometimes they lined up a WR or TE close to the formation to widen Freeney. Sometimes they had a RB chip Freeney. Since Freeney had a difficult time getting around Scott in the first half, he decide to bull rush in the 2nd half. Freeney had more success with his bull rush. Scott was facing one of the better pass rushers in the league. He held his own on more then one occasion.

I believe they had 5 screens called. One to RB, two to TE's, and two to WR's. The Colts were so quick to the ball that the Steelers were unable to execute their blocks.

The Steelers were moving the ball through the air. The turnovers were what killed the team. The strip by Freeney was a good play. The other two turnovers were on Ben. Ben needs to do a better job taking care of the football going forward.

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
It would be interesting to know how this plays out during coaching meetings. Is BA getting chewed out for showing a lack of creativity, or is there an underlying understanding with the management that the available talent simply isn’t up to par, and thus BA gets the not-your-fault nod?

The coaches review the film and really know what happened. I am sure the coaches see that most of the issues are related to execution.

anger 82&95
09-27-2011, 01:49 PM

The coaches review the film and really know what happened. I am sure the coaches see that most of the issues are related to execution.
If it’s a question of execution, then is there a hypothetical coaching figure that could (a) motivate the players to a higher level of expertise, or (b) introduce and utilize a system that is more attuned to the skill-sets of the current offensive players?

BURGH86STEEL
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":33veihrq]It would be interesting to know how this plays out during coaching meetings. Is BA getting chewed out for showing a lack of creativity, or is there an underlying understanding with the management that the available talent simply isn’t up to par, and thus BA gets the not-your-fault nod?

If it’s a question of execution, then is there a hypothetical coaching figure that could (a) motivate the players to a higher level of expertise, or (b) introduce and utilize a system that is more attuned to the skill-sets of the current offensive players?[/quote:33veihrq]

I suppose there are better coaches out there. How much better is the question. I hate to get into the discussion about which coaches are better or use players to their skill sets. Coaching success is tied directly to how players perform on the field. The coaches on this team have proven that they can implement plans for these players to be successful on both sides of the ball. It's up to the players to go out and execute those plans. I've seen many offensive opportunities blown because the players didn't execute on the field. Most games are won or lost because of execution.

Djfan
09-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Here is the conversation I would like to hear about:

MT: What do we need to do here?

BA: We have a F+ line, and B-A level skill guys. We have to find a way to get the ball to them before the line has time to fall apart.

MT: How about quicker plays?

BA: Good idea. Design plays that hit quickly, with at least an A, B and C receivers for Ben to read. Also, one safety valve reciever in the flats.

MT: Yeah, you can designe these plays based on the weaknesses of the team we are playing this week.

BA: I like that. After the defense pulls up tight to prevent the quick plays we can stretch one or two plays to Wallace or Brown, maybe Saunders to keep the D guessing.

MT: Nice. Get about ten formations with about 5 options per formation so that they can't guess which play we are going to run.

BA: Got it. It will be done.

But, I doubt it happens. I bet it's more like:

BA: I don't know Coach. We played our usual plays and they didn't work. We just have a bad line, so I don't know what to do. Maybe next week, huh?

MT: The standard is the standard. Don't worry about style points.

anger 82&95
09-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Here is the conversation I would like to hear about:

MT: What do we need to do here?

BA: We have a F+ line, and B-A level skill guys. We have to find a way to get the ball to them before the line has time to fall apart.

MT: How about quicker plays?

BA: Good idea. Design plays that hit quickly, with at least an A, B and C receivers for Ben to read. Also, one safety valve reciever in the flats.

MT: Yeah, you can designe these plays based on the weaknesses of the team we are playing this week.

BA: I like that. After the defense pulls up tight to prevent the quick plays we can stretch one or two plays to Wallace or Brown, maybe Saunders to keep the D guessing.

MT: Nice. Get about ten formations with about 5 options per formation so that they can't guess which play we are going to run.

BA: Got it. It will be done.

But, I doubt it happens. I bet it's more like:

BA: I don't know Coach. We played our usual plays and they didn't work. We just have a bad line, so I don't know what to do. Maybe next week, huh?

MT: The standard is the standard. Don't worry about style points.
Or Tomlin wheels in an anthropomorphically correct NFL fullback mannequin and BA gapes at it quizzically, with his best rendition of Boo Radley.

hawaiiansteel
09-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Enough Is Enough: Offense Needs New Gameplan

by Jon Pennline
published by Sports Talk Radio on Tue, 09/27/2011

Since his hiring in 2007, I rarely criticized Steelers' offensive coordinator Bruce Arians for his game planning and play calling. Even when the offense sputtered and the playcalling seemed questionable, you could always point to execution as a reason of fault. After Sunday night's game against the Colts, enough is enough.

The Steelers faced a rushing defense which had been terrible for the better part of the last two decades. Yet, Sunday night, Pittsburgh came out throwing and became one dimensional from start to finish. Consequently, the Colts teed off on a bad offensive line who was protecting a quarterback with a high tendency to hold onto the ball too long. While that offensive strategy worked in the first quarter, by the end of the first half, the Steelers had turned the ball over three times leading to 13 points for the Colts.

When the Steelers did try to run, they pulled guards, tight ends, wide receivers and just about anything else they could get their hands on. Why is this a bad idea?

1) If the Colts have a strength on defense, it's their speed and athleticism. Running a play that takes time to develop plays into that speed. Imagine how dumb a team would look if they tried to run wide on the Steelers every play.

2) You're putting your trust in a line with no chemistry. Even before Doug Legursky, Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert went down, this was only the second game where they all played together.

3) With a defense so fast and athletic, they are also extremely light. A power run game would tire out the defense, especially when you know their offense will be held in check.

While the bomb to Mike Wallace is an awesome play, it does nothing to wear down the defense. A solid running game would not only wear down the defense, it would set up playaction for Ben to throw deep to the fastest receiver in the league.

But the lack of rushing has been a problem since Arians took over the offense. Since 2008, the Steelers have not finished above 11th in the league in rushing. Since Arians refuses to implement a fullback, the offense has not only struggled to run, but struggled to score in the red zone. At one point, last season, the Steelers were ranked 27th in the league in red zone efficiency. Last week against Seattle, the Steelers were stuffed four straight times inside the five yard line. How many years are the Steelers going to struggle at the goal line before they finally make the adjustment?

While Roethlisberger and his electric wide receivers are among the best in the NFL, their usage in the offense mismatches their talent. The Steelers probably throw more wide receiver screens than any team in the league. But they throw the screens to Hines Ward and Heath Miller, the two slowest pass catchers on the team. Twice, against the Colts, Heath Miller caught the ball on a delay screen.

Both plays went for three yards.

As someone who has never played or coached in the NFL, it is hard for me to call for a coach's head. However, the offense has struggled for the last four years, in Pittsburgh. The offensive game plans are, well, offensive. With an elite level quarterback, running back and core of wide receivers, the offense should be further along by now. The goal should be to win the game and you win by attacking your opponents' weaknesses. The Steelers avoid adapting their game plan and they, at times, become too stubborn to switch things up when the offense is struggling. If you are facing a team that is tremendously undersized on defense and unmanned on offense, pound the football. If you are facing a team that has a strong front seven and weak secondary (like, the Texans?) then the game plan should focus on a balanced attack with quick passes to neutralize the threat of a pass rushing defensive lineman.

Unfortunately, Bruce Arians will probably try to fit a square peg into a round hole against the Houston Texans. The Steelers will most likely reshuffle their offensive line due to the injuries from Sunday's game. And, again, the Steelers will face a hostile crowd and a difficult pass rush. If the Pittsburgh Steelers start the game trying to stretch the field, Ben will get crushed.

http://sportstalk.triblive.com/content/ ... n-pennline (http://sportstalk.triblive.com/content/enough-enough-offense-needs-new-gameplan-jon-pennline)

Mister Pittsburgh
09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
To use failure to execute as an excuse to adjust is horse-dung. We grounded the ball after kicking their teeth in throwing it, just because that is what the steelers do. And once again, it killed any offensive momentum we had and the opposing team came back.

One of these days they will learn to keep on keeping on with what is working, which is normally the passing game.

Djfan
09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
One of these days they will learn to keep on keeping on with what is working, which is normally the passing game.

Bruce can learn this, but refuses to. Can't figure why Tomlin puts up with this. When I have had people under me who made me look bad I cut them loose.

feltdizz
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
To use failure to execute as an excuse to adjust is horse-dung. We grounded the ball after kicking their teeth in throwing it, just because that is what the steelers do. And once again, it killed any offensive momentum we had and the opposing team came back.

2 sack fumbles.... and how many TO's have we had with our passing game.

Sanders dropped a pass that would have been 1st and goal. We also had a couple of passes where Ben and the WR's weren't on the same page.

The Colts came back because they kept sacking Ben...

Mister Pittsburgh
09-28-2011, 12:17 PM

2 sack fumbles.... and how many TO's have we had with our passing game.

Sanders dropped a pass that would have been 1st and goal. We also had a couple of passes where Ben and the WR's weren't on the same page.

The Colts came back because they kept sacking Ben...

Which also falls on Arians for the play design. How many quick slants did we run? How many times did Ben bootleg or roll out of the pocket by design? You would think with a crappy offensive line you would incorporate more of a quick passing game, and not just the stupid 'stay' pattern we run 5 times a game. Wallace has so much speed he easily could run off a DB and run a curl or out and have Ben put the ball where he should end up. I think Arians offensive play design is old and retarded.

Did we go no huddle one single time this entire year? Hell, even when we do go no huddle we let the play clock run down to 1 second before running the play. What kind of sense does that make?

RuthlessBurgher
09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Or Tomlin wheels in an anthropomorphically correct NFL fullback mannequin and BA gapes at it quizzically, with his best rendition of Boo Radley.

Does the mannequin really need to be anthropomorphically correct? Ewww... :lol:

feltdizz
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Which also falls on Arians for the play design. How many quick slants did we run? How many times did Ben bootleg or roll out of the pocket by design? You would think with a crappy offensive line you would incorporate more of a quick passing game, and not just the stupid 'stay' pattern we run 5 times a game. Wallace has so much speed he easily could run off a DB and run a curl or out and have Ben put the ball where he should end up. I think Arians offensive play design is old and retarded.

Did we go no huddle one single time this entire year? Hell, even when we do go no huddle we let the play clock run down to 1 second before running the play. What kind of sense does that make?

Did you read the thread about the strip sack being a 2 step slant and Ben and Wallace tried something else that didn't work?

It doesn't ALL fall on Arians.. I blame BA for the lack of Redman and Moore earlier when Mend was tap dancing and the bubble screens and awful TE screen that never works...but the rest is execution.

Sanders dropped a pass, the OL was horrible, Ben was holding the ball like he has a good OL, the awful swing pass, the high INT.. snapping the ball with 1 second left on the clock.

These things aren't BA.. it's the players on the field. I have no faith in the OL rolling out against Freeney and Mathis.

Leper Friend
09-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Did you read the thread about the strip sack being a 2 step slant and Ben and Wallace tried something else that didn't work?

It doesn't ALL fall on Arians.. I blame BA for the lack of Redman and Moore earlier when Mend was tap dancing and the bubble screens and awful TE screen that never works...but the rest is execution.

Sanders dropped a pass, the OL was horrible, Ben was holding the ball like he has a good OL, the awful swing pass, the high INT.. snapping the ball with 1 second left on the clock.

These things aren't BA.. it's the players on the field. I have no faith in the OL rolling out against Freeney and Mathis.
I agree that it's execution to a certain extent and in general I usually have no problem with BA.

That being said , you admit that the o-line couln't hold blocks yet nothing was done to change that. No draws , no RB screens , Scott barely had help. I saw some quicker throws and some of that not happening alot is due to Ben but for the most part , BA has a bad ability to adjust in game.

hawaiiansteel
09-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Steelers Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians Talks on Texans Week

published by Ken Laird on Thu, 09/29/2011

Bruce Arians, the Offensive Coordinator Pittsburgh Steelers, chats with the media every Thursday during the season. Houston Texans Week (Wk4) was no exception, and following is the Q&A with "BA" and reporters spanning a number of topics:

Are the Texans soft?

“I think Wade [Phillips] has brought a very tough attitude, symplistic approach, attack approach. The same one he’s always had. I’ve been going against Wade for it seems like forever. They’re always very sound, solid, and extremely physical. I don’t think there’s any doubt [he’s toughened them up]. Just where he’s put the players, what he’s asking of them, letting them play free and not thinking a whole lot about assignments just whipping the guy in front of them, and they’re doing a pretty good job.”

How do they compare to the Colts?

“Totally different structure up front. Totally different secondary as far as man coverage versus zone coverage. A 3-4 defense versus a stunt 4-3 defense. Very similar to us. That part of it is easy to get ready for. Blocking Antonio Smith and those guys, that’s a whole different ballgame.”

What’s you comfort level with the offensive line given the injuries there?

“Fine. These guys have all started ballgames, Super Bowls. We can’t afford a rash of injuries, obviously, but the five guys we’re starting I’ve got all the confidence in the world in.”

What happened on the audible on the Dwight Freeney strip-sack last week?

“It’s not an audible that we call, it’s a thing that we do in the running game that Ben has the ability with the receivers... everybody else is running the running play. It’s not just that one play, we’ve had probably 200-yards of passing that were running plays called. If you look, everybody’s blocking a run and we’ll throw the ball to a wide receiver because of different reasons defensively. That was one that misfired. [The danger of a lineman downfield] is why it’s got to come out fast. You’ll get called for it.”

How tough is it to get Mike Wallace deep every week when he has the success, how do you keep finding ways to get him loose?

“Keep sending him down there, see if they’re going to cover him. If they take two that means somebody else is single-covered. I think he keeps surprising people that don’t see him a lot. Last year as the games went on, more and more people played deeper and deeper. Both [Houston’s] corners have faced him before, Jonathan Joseph in Cincinnati and Jason Allen down in Miami. They know what to expect, but their coach is going to put them in single coverage. That’s what they do, they play man-to-man, so they’ve got a tough job. As long as Mike can stay healthy and keep playing, I think he’ll get his yards.”

How does Mario Williams look at LB compared to DE?

“It’s a hybrid position for him, and standing up just gives him a faster start sometimes into the backfield. Most of the game he’s in a nickel position playing his true “end” position, so he is both. But they can move him around in that spot and you’ve got to know where he’s at at all times. You really don’t want your backs having to block him as much as possible, because that’s a bad mismatch. But he’s a tremendous player and we’ve got our hands full with him.”

How often a game do you try to utilize Mike’s speed?

“I usually script five home-runs a game and I don’t like coming home with any of them not being called. And we’ll go back to them every now and then, but that’s something that we love to do. We like to throw the ball deep, and I’d like to run the ball a hell of a whole lot better so that we can use that playaction because it’s hard to drop back and throw it deep. If you get playaction and your running game is working, then you can get [Mike] deep because you can eliminate some safety play and we’ve got to run the ball better to continue to get him deep.”

What have you come up with in regards to the running game struggles?

“A guy here or there. It’s not a major concern right now, we’re still young, we’re still shifting around, getting to know what these new guys can do. It’s one of those things where the passing game is going to have to carry us a little bit more than the running game but we have to get it going. The major concern for me is the goal line. We’ve been very good in short yardage, we ran out the clock the other night, got 11-yards and got our field goal when we had to have it. But the goal line situation with the new players involved has cost us in the Seattle game. We didn’t get down there the other night, but I’m anxious to get back down there and find out if we’ve got it fixed.”

Does Jamon Meredith get a “hat” this week?

“Yes probably. It’ll all depend on game-day readiness of the other two guys.”

Will you put Redman back in a little bit more this week on the 3rd down stuff?

“It depends on the down and distance, Mewelde has done such a good job and it’s hard to take him out of there. He won the ballgame for us the other night, so a lot of it’s a matchup on the linebackers if they’re blitzing a lot with a big guy, then we like ‘Red’ in there to pass protect. But I’d like to get ‘Red’ a few more carries. A lot of it is down and distance, what their blitz tendencies, dog tendencies are, who in those tendencies is coming. Bigger linebackers, we like ‘Red,’ Mewelde when we can get him out and get him running. He’s a good pass protector and he can handle himself but ‘Red’ is just a little bit bigger, stouter guy.”

What do you attribute Rashard’s slow start to?

“I think just inconsistencies in all areas, the entire thing as far as line, tight ends, backs. And the number of carries. We’ve tried to limit some of his carries to get Issac in so [Mendenhall] will be healthy down the road. I’m not concerned with his numbers at this point in time. Our run efficiency has to improve whoever’s getting the football. We want to keep him healthy, it’s a long haul. If he had 200 carries and 450-yards already, everybody’d say we’re running him too much. It’s a little bit of a Catch-22, but I’m not concerned with it, he’s in great shape and he’s more than ready to carry the load.”

Will you give Redman more opportunities at the goal line?

“No, it’s Rashard’s job. There was one play [in the Seattle game where Rashard] bounced a play outside and he actually made the right read. We took him out because he didn’t hit it straight up in there, and he actually was right. So, we should have left him in there. He’s done too good of a job inside the 5-yard line. That goal line [TD] run against Seattle where he spun and hit it, that was a great run. That’s his job.”

Do you anticipate having Jerricho Cotchery?

“Yeah I am, I’m hoping that we can get him dressed and get him out there and see what he can do and what he brings to us.”

What do you think about Brian Billick saying that “passing is ruining the game of football?”

“[Laughs]. Imagine that. Go back and look at that Vikings game when you were calling them plays at the end of the game against the Falcons. Maybe you ruined it. [Passing is up] because of the rule changes. It’s harder to run the football than it used to be. People have gone back to a lot of 8-man fronts and a lot of stunting and blitzing to blow runs up, so it’s a lot easier to throw the football right now. And I think with the lockout it’s much easier to throw it than it is to run it. Most people think it would be easier the other way, but guys can throw and catch in shorts all the time. It takes a little time to grind out that running game and now with only one day a week in pads, it even slows the process down.”

So why are teams coming out in 8-man fronts if it’s a passing league?

“Some of it’s your personality. When we come into stadiums, they still feel like that’s what it takes to stop us. And they give us a lot of 1-on-1 out there. So it’s a matter of, hey let’s take what they’re giving us let’s don’t beat our head against the wall. The big thing right now is turnovers, we’ve got nine turnovers. If we had all those possessions ain’t no telling how many yards we’d have rushing and passing. And we can’t give it away to [Houston], we’ll pay for it.”

Why are more teams around the league using 2 and 3 TEs?

“Just the flexibility of the positions. When you can have a TE that plays fullback, tight end, wide receiver, he just gives you so much of an advantage versus a defensive signal caller looking, ‘Oh here comes a fullback, there goes a fullback, here comes a tight end.’ So he’s got his best calls for that personnel group, and when you have a tight end staying in there doing all those jobs, it’s a huge advantage offensively. The Heath Millers, they’re still there, they’re the true tight ends in the league. And there are very few Heath Miller types around.”

http://sportstalk.triblive.com/node/200

Djfan
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM

“No, it’s Rashard’s job.

Fire his stupid, stubborn, out of touch, never heard the word "dominate", fired in Cleveland, BUTT!

fezziwig
09-30-2011, 09:35 AM
That idiot once said, " I try to go with plays that haven't worked in the game because, I feel they won't expect us to try it again. "
In other words, this idiot doesn't believe in what works, he thinks he is going to use mind games but the only thing is, Arians never comes armed.

The guys a joke and Tomlin, Colbert along with Rooneys must be just as ignorant about offenses as Arians is.

feltdizz
09-30-2011, 09:40 AM
That idiot once said, " I try to go with plays that haven't worked in the game because, I feel they won't expect us to try it again. "
In other words, this idiot doesn't believe in what works, he thinks he is going to use mind games but the only thing is, Arians never comes armed.

The guys a joke and Tomlin, Colbert along with Rooneys must be just as ignorant about offenses as Arians is.

add Ben to that list... he is the #1 fan of BA.

I'm not a BA hater but not giving Redman more touches is crazy.

LouSteel
09-30-2011, 09:43 AM

“No, it’s Rashard’s job.

Fire his stupid, stubborn, out of touch, never heard the word "dominate", fired in Cleveland, BUTT!

Unbe-freaking-leavilble.

The man comes in with the same script week in and week out and refuses to change what's broken. How can you be so damn stubborn in failure?

What really gets me mad is that we've got INCREDIBLE offensive talent on this team, and we're doing nothing with it. We won't have this talent for long... we've got to use it. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Djfan
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
[quote]Will you give Redman more opportunities at the goal line?

“No, it’s Rashard’s job.

Unbe-freaking-leavilble.

The man comes in with the same script week in and week out and refuses to change what's broken. How can you be so damn stubborn in failure?

What really gets me mad is that we've got INCREDIBLE offensive talent on this team, and we're doing nothing with it. We won't have this talent for long... we've got to use it. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger[/quote:11dq00ow]

At some point it comes down to Tomlin not making a move.

pittpete
09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
At some point it comes down to Tomlin not making a move.

dind-ding-ding-ding-ding........We have a winner!!!!!!!!!! :Agree

grotonsteel
09-30-2011, 02:28 PM
What do you think about Brian Billick saying that “passing is ruining the game of football?”

And I think with the lockout it’s much easier to throw it than it is to run it. Most people think it would be easier the other way, but guys can throw and catch in shorts all the time. It takes a little time to grind out that running game and now with only one day a week in pads, it even slows the process down.”

Isn't it the other way round??? Running should be little bit easier than passing especially when your QB and WR did not get time to get their timing right.

Also is he trying to say that Steelers don't practice running plays during the week since it slows the process??? They just throw and catch in shorts??? :wft

I am confused by BA statement.

feltdizz
09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
It's much easier to pass than it is to run. The OL has to really get in sync for the running game to gel.

rockonsteel
09-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Steelers Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians Talks on Texans Week

published by Ken Laird on Thu, 09/29/2011

What do you attribute Rashard’s slow start to?

“I think just inconsistencies in all areas, the entire thing as far as line, tight ends, backs. And the number of carries. We’ve tried to limit some of his carries to get Issac in so [Mendenhall] will be healthy down the road. I’m not concerned with his numbers at this point in time. Our run efficiency has to improve whoever’s getting the football. We want to keep him healthy, it’s a long haul. If he had 200 carries and 450-yards already, everybody’d say we’re running him too much. It’s a little bit of a Catch-22, but I’m not concerned with it, he’s in great shape and he’s more than ready to carry the load.
http://sportstalk.triblive.com/node/200

The fact that this guy can't understand why a RB with 200 carries for 450 yds, tells you all you need to know about this dude. Friggin clueless!

Rockon

Steelers>NFL
09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
BA is dumber and a bigger ass than a rock. I am shame to say he is from my home town in central PA area. Please GO AWAY BA. Do us all a favor. LEAVE ALREADY...

DukieBoy
09-30-2011, 11:52 PM

Nah, he's just saying these things to continue to keep the defense off-balance (or is that the offense?).