PDA

View Full Version : Chop Block penalty in Pats-Bills game

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Okay, just to take us back to the whole "what is a chop block" question.

Bills are down 14-0 to the Pats late in the first Q. They start a drive at their own 20 and drive it down to 3-4 at the Pats 25.

Then this play occurs:

3-4-NE 25(1:30) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short left to D.Nelson pushed ob at NE 21 for 4 yards (S.Brown). Caught along sideline at NE 21. PENALTY on BUF-E.Wood, Chop Block, 15 yards, enforced at NE 25 - No Play.

Eric Wood is the C. The defender was barely engaged with RG Chad Rinehart. For those of you who followed the explanations, a chop block only occurs when you go low on a player who is engaged two positions away. This play was legal according to the NFL, and ethical according to Jim Harbaugh. It was not bad looking and was in an open enough area so that there should not have been a mistake in identity.

So the Bills would have had 4th and inches at the 21, instead they are pushed back to 3-19, and ended up getting picked two plays later on 4th and long.

The announcers identified the penalty as a penalty saying that Wood is not allowed to hit the engaged defender. Pretty ignorant considering it was news just two weeks ago.

Steelhere10
09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
I thought the same thing, the head official last week said it was legal as long a the olineman was next to each other. But remember it's the cheats so every call wil go their way.

DukieBoy
09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

:wft

:2c

Ghost
09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Is the rule different in college? I forget what game I was watching but it got called on a guard and center, exactly what the Ravens were doing, and it was called and the announcers played it multiple times to say was was a chop. Why would this be different in the NFL, especially considering how dangerous it is?