PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark at it again

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Some of the Quotes from Clark may be true. But it seems as if he is kinda Mocking alot of what Manning does. I wonder how the rest of Manning's teammates might take this ?

Steelers D could have time on its hands vs. Colts

Email
Print
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Clark respects Peyton Manning, and he feels for the Indianapolis Colts as they continue to search for traction and an identity while their franchise quarterback recovers from neck surgery.

Still, the Pittsburgh Steelers safety isn't exactly complaining about taking on the winless Colts (0-2) without Manning on Sunday, and Clark's source of glee has nothing to do with facing Kerry Collins instead of the four-time MVP.

Collins has a better record (3-2) against the Steelers than Manning (2-2), a better completion percentage (64 to 60), and a better touchdown/interception ratio.

The one thing Collins doesn't have on Manning? Acting ability.
Taking on the Colts without Manning means not having to endure 20-25 seconds of the quarterback standing at the line of scrimmage frantically barking out orders as if he was playing some football version of charades.

"Thank God because that is so boring," Clark said with mock exasperation. "Such a theatrical performance."

Clark was kidding -- sort of. Clark is pretty sure there was some football involved in Manning's gestures. He's also pretty sure some of it was simple gamesmanship.

"It got talked about so much and people loved it so much I think Peyton even kind of fed into it, 'I'm going to keep doing this because people think I'm doing a lot at the line," Clark said.

The Colts have been more deliberate through the first two weeks as the veteran Collins -- plucked out of retirement by coach Jim Caldwell a month ago -- learns the system Manning has orchestrated so artfully for 13 seasons.

And Collins has been effective against the Steelers. He beat them the first three times he faced them, including a 17-point whipping in 2008 while playing for Tennessee. And even at 38-years-old, the Steelers believe Collins can operate quickly if not quite as efficiently as Manning.

"They're not going to run the same offense that Peyton runs, because there's only one Peyton, but they're still running their offense," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "And they're still running no-huddle, and we'll have to be ready for a lot of snaps and getting our calls in at the ball."

Pittsburgh will likely be without defensive end Brett Keisel, who missed practice again on Thursday with a knee injury. Third-year man Ziggy Hood will get the start if Keisel can't go, and though he's wary of Collins, he's not expecting a track meet.

"It could be slowed down to where we get in our formations and we get it right," Hood said. "This is the third game and (Collins) has only been there so long. If we was playing them late in the season, maybe that no huddle will come into play. Maybe this week we don't know. We've got to be prepared."

For all the progress the Colts believe they've made while giving Collins a crash course in an attack that's been tailored to Manning's unique talents, they know they're not quite operating at the same speed as usual.

Still, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin pointed out Collins looked Manning-esque the last time he played the Steelers, nearly leading Tennessee to a miracle comeback in Week 2 of the 2010 season after coming on in relief of Vince Young.

The Steelers were firmly in command 19-3 late in the fourth quarter when Collins led the Titans to a quick touchdown and a 2-point conversion and had the team driving again when the clock ran out.

"That experience is not lost as we prepare for this one," Tomlin said.

Pittsburgh's defense was back to its usual swarming self against the overmatched Seahawks last Sunday, pitching a 24-0 shutout. Yet through two weeks the Steelers have yet to generate a turnover, the first time that's happened in consecutive games since 2009.

Collins hasn't provided the Steelers with many opportunities, throwing just two picks in 163 career attempts against Pittsburgh. Clark points out that the defense's mindset is focused more on getting stops than getting the ball.

The Steelers will have more time to think about it on Sunday now that Manning's acting is relegated to TV commercials for the time being.

"It'll be weird playing them without Peyton, period," Hampton said.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Slapstick
09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
That's what you took from this article?

"Ryan Clark at it again"?

Seriously?!?

Steelhere10
09-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Did I miss something? May :Boobs be I need to read this about 10 more times to see what Clark said wrong.