PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry?

StarSpangledSteeler
09-23-2011, 08:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

2010 1st round pick (4th overall) Aaron Curry looks to be on his way out in Seattle. The kid is 25 years old, 6' 2" 260 pounds, and runs a 4.56 forty with a 1.5 ten yard split. Seattle is currently playing him at OLB in a 4-3 but I think he's out of position. I think would do much better moving to ILB on a 3-4 defense (much like James Farrior did when he came over from the Jets). The kid can run and tackle, especially when plays are funneled toward him, and would benefit hugely from our D-line and scheme.

Rumors are Seattle is considering cutting him after this season so why not work out a trade right now with the understanding that we renegotiate his contract upon arrival? You know he would love to play here. That potentially solves our Farrior situation with an elite young talent for probably somewhere around a 3rd round pick. Colbert needs to get on the phone.

Snatch98
09-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Wow this seems crazy to me and while I'd like for the Steelers to give the guy a try it 100% depends on at what cost. If Seattle is willing to just flat out cut him, he must have some sort of glaring issue or issues. They aren't exactly RIPE with talent at the moment. Either Pete Carrol is a moron (possible) or Curry is a few short of a bakers dozen. I imagine several teams will come calling either way.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Wow this seems crazy to me and while I'd like for the Steelers to give the guy a try it 100% depends on at what cost. If Seattle is willing to just flat out cut him, he must have some sort of glaring issue or issues. They aren't exactly RIPE with talent at the moment. Either Pete Carrol is a moron (possible) or Curry is a few short of a bakers dozen. I imagine several teams will come calling either way.

Look at Farrior. The Jets 1st round pick (8th overall) in 1997. He played only 27 games from 1997-2000. His skill-set did not produce results in their 4-3 scheme. They viewed him as a bust, and let him walk in free agency. That very same player comes over to the Steelers, moves to ILB in 3-4, and becomes a 10 year starter and pro bowler on the best defense in the NFL.

Snatch98
09-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Look at Farrior. The Jets 1st round pick (8th overall) in 1997. He played only 27 games from 1997-2000. His skill-set did not produce results in their 4-3 scheme. They viewed him as a bust, and let him walk in free agency. That very same player comes over to the Steelers, moves to ILB in 3-4, and becomes a 10 year starter and pro bowler on the best defense in the NFL.

Can't disagree. I'd bring Curry in for the right price 100%. I like Larry Foote but Curry can have his roster spot and then eventually Farriors. Hell or just eventually move Timmons back to his original position once Mr. Harrison decides to hang em up.

EDIT: I'd take Timmons, Curry, Sylvester, Woodley once Harrison decides to hang em up.

Shawn
09-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Why would anyone touch Timmons or where he plays? Timmons is one of the best ILBs in the league.

StarSpangledSteeler
09-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Why would anyone touch Timmons or where he plays? Timmons is one of the best ILBs in the league.

Timmons has some definite similarities with Curry. Both are similar in speed and build. Both played OLB in a 4-3 in college but are probably better suited to play ILB in a 3-4 in the NFL. But both could potentially blitz off the outside in certain packages, or substitute in case of injury. Ideally we would line up Woodley-Timmons-Curry-Harrison (with Worilds backing up at OLB) (and Sly backing up at ILB) (and Carter waiting in the wings at OLB). That's not too shabby.

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Actually your post is a bit inaccurate. Farrior only started 27 games from 97-2000, and this was because of the Jets system, they wanted Farrior to come off the bench. But he played in every game except 4 in his 2nd season due to an injury. And in his last year as a Jet, they Moved him Inside, and he had a great season for them. Just as good as ANY season he has ever had here.
Farrior was offered a new deal from the Jets. It's just he was offered a better deal in Pittsburgh where he would be closer to home, and in a Blitz system that would give him better routes to the QB as opposed to the Jets system. But make no mistake, Farrior played alot in New York. That 27 game thing is NOT correct.

steelblood
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Curry signed a 6 year 60 million dollar contract with 34 million in guarantees in 2009. I wonder how much of that guaranteed money he has pocketed.

grotonsteel
09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Can Aaron Curry play LB position???

I might be inclined to throw a 6th Rd pick but no way i waste a 3rd Rd pick on Aaron Curry.

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 11:24 AM

I might be inclined to throw a 6th Rd pick but no way i waste a 3rd Rd pick on Aaron Curry.

Where do you think he plays now ? He has always been a LB. Just not a ILB, and not on a 3-4 D which is what the OP was trying to point out.

grotonsteel
09-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Where do you think he plays now ? He has always been a LB. Just not a ILB, and not on a 3-4 D which is what the OP was trying to point out.

He sucks as a LB. I think he can do good if he puts his hand down and rush the passer. No way i want Curry as ILB in 3-4. He can't cover.

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM

James Farrior can cover out of the backfield, and he never was asked to do it as a OLB in a 4-3 system in New York. It wasn't until he came to Pittsburghs 3-4 defense that he was asked to do that as a ILB, and he did. So how can you say Curry can't cover when he has never been part of a defense that asks it's OLB's to cover ? You certainly cannot say that based on his athleticism. So it's way off base for you to say he can't cover as a ILB in a 3-4 system....right ?

He sucks as a LB. I think he can do good if he puts his hand down and rush the passer. No way i want Curry as ILB in 3-4. He can't cover.

phillyesq
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Curry signed a 6 year 60 million dollar contract with 34 million in guarantees in 2009. I wonder how much of that guaranteed money he has pocketed.

I believe that he renegotiated that to a much lower number for this season to avoid being cut. I can't recall if the rest of his deal was voided if he he still has years left after this one.

RuthlessBurgher
09-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Actually your post is a bit inaccurate. Farrior only started 27 games from 97-2000, and this was because of the Jets system, they wanted Farrior to come off the bench. But he played in every game except 4 in his 2nd season due to an injury. And in his last year as a Jet, they Moved him Inside, and he had a great season for them. Just as good as ANY season he has ever had here.
Farrior was offered a new deal from the Jets. It's just he was offered a better deal in Pittsburgh where he would be closer to home, and in a Blitz system that would give him better routes to the QB as opposed to the Jets system. But make no mistake, Farrior played alot in New York. That 27 game thing is NOT correct.

His hometown of Ettrick, VA is just as far from Pittsburgh as it is from E. Rutherford, NJ where the Jets play. It's 367 miles away from both places...weird.

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Rumors are Seattle is considering cutting him after this season so why not work out a trade right now with the understanding that we renegotiate his contract upon arrival? You know he would love to play here. That potentially solves our Farrior situation with an elite young talent for probably somewhere around a 3rd round pick. Colbert needs to get on the phone.

....Hes not gonna renegotiate his contract after a trade, that would be extremely dumb of him :roll:

Dee Dub
09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I think he is better suited as an ILB in a 3-4. He was in the wrong place and wrong scheme as a weak side LB in a 4-3.

And by the way...at in College he showed above average coverage skills. I think I read somewhere that he holds the all-time record for interception return yards at Wake Forrest.

Give him a look. What would you have to lose?

ikestops85
09-23-2011, 11:21 PM
It would be nice to pick up one of these guys from the scrap heap and teach him the steeler way to play linebacker. I'm tired of NE getting some great players for a song (i.e. Moss). For once I'd like us to be able to do that. I think Curry would do just about anything to get out of Seattle and play in the Burg.

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 11:28 PM
It would be nice to pick up one of these guys from the scrap heap and teach him the steeler way to play linebacker. I'm tired of NE getting some great players for a song (i.e. Moss). For once I'd like us to be able to do that. I think Curry would do just about anything to get out of Seattle and play in the Burg.

One of the few downsides of consistently having winning seasons, the Steelers get the short end of the stick in regards to priority on the waiver wire...