PDA

View Full Version : CB McFadden looks to be out for Steelers

fordfixer
09-23-2011, 01:06 AM
CB McFadden looks to be out for Steelers

By Mark Kaboly and Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, September 23, 2011

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 58302.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758302.html)

It appears cornerback Bryant McFadden won't start Sunday because of a nagging hamstring injury.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said he anticipates the Steelers starting the same secondary against the Indianapolis Colts as they did against the Seattle Seahawks.

That means William Gay will get the call at cornerback opposite Ike Taylor even if McFadden suits up.

"I think it's a reflection of his health right now," LeBeau said when asked why McFadden wouldn't start.

>> Starting defensive end Brett Keisel (knee) didn't practice for the second straight day, and he is unlikely to play against the Colts. Center Maurkice Pouncey (hamstring) and running back Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder) practiced Thursday after being limited the day before. Receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who has missed the first two games because of a hamstring injury, practiced for a second consecutive day. The Steelers will likely dress six receivers against the Colts if Cotchery can play.

>> Starting right guard Doug Legursky has been fined $10,000 for a clipping penalty last Sunday. He said he plans to appeal. Seattle defensive end Raheem Brock was fined $15,000 for hitting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the lower right leg. He wrote on Twitter that he was blocked into Roethlisberger. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who blocked Brock on the play, said that wasn't the case.

"It was very intentional that he hit him down in the legs," Gilbert said. "It was a dive. That's the way we saw it. That's how we looked at it, and that's how the NFL looked at it."

>> Defensive end Dwight Freeney (abdomen), linebacker Gary Brackett (shoulder), strong safety Melvin Bullitt (shoulder), right guard Ryan Diem (ankle) and defensive tackle Fili Moala (ankle) are among the Colts starters who have not practiced this week because of injuries. Tight end Dallas Clark practiced yesterday on a limited basis.

Read more: CB McFadden looks to be out for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1YkVM8czd (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758302.html#ixzz1YkVM8czd)

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 01:16 AM
B-Mac being out is yesterdays news. It was announced yesterday by Tomlin. But, I wonder why K.Lewis is not starting over G@y ? He has more size and speed. If Lewis is doing as well as all the coaches have said, why isn't he starting ?

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 01:30 AM
B-Mac being out is yesterdays news. It was announced yesterday by Tomlin. But, I wonder why K.Lewis is not starting over G@y ? He has more size and speed. If Lewis is doing as well as all the coaches have said, why isn't he starting ?

Thats easy, Gay has more experience and is more highly regarded by the coaches than on this board. Lewis certainly hasn't proven he is better.

hawaiiansteel
09-23-2011, 02:40 AM
since Willie Gay started against the Seahawks and actually played reasonably well he will remain the starter opposite Ike.

like it or not, until Keenan Lewis or someone else steps up and proves that they are a better option at CB than Gay then Willie will continue to start.

Jooser
09-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Starting right guard Doug Legursky has been fined $10,000 for a clipping penalty last Sunday. He said he plans to appeal.

:wft

frankthetank1
09-23-2011, 08:00 AM
since Willie Gay started against the Seahawks and actually played reasonably well he will remain the starter opposite Ike.

like it or not, until Keenan Lewis or someone else steps up and proves that they are a better option at CB than Gay then Willie will continue to start.

true gay didnt get picked on last week like he normally does but it was against the worst qb and the worst offense in the nfl. youre right though lewis hasnt proven anything yet. i really hope lewis develops into a good player. it would be nice for someone to knock gay or bmac out of the starting lineup

phillyesq
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
When the Steelers go to the nickel, which they do pretty frequently, Lewis is going to play, with Gay sliding inside.

I wonder if the Steelers will use Ike Taylor to shaddow Reggie Wayne, or if they'll keep him on a side, which would have Wayne matched up against Gay and Lewis. I'd prefer to see them have Ike follow Wayne. The Cots other receivers are ok, but not particularly scary.

Edit: After reading the rest of the board today, it looks like Ike will shadow Wayne.

NorthCoast
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Not too worried about the D in this game. The O on the otherhand scares the bejesus out of me. What is the over/under on the number of times Freeney will clean Ben's clock? I truly fear for Ben's health in this game.

steelz09
09-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Are you freakin' kidding me? Gay is really going to get the start?

Come on Lebeau/Tomlin --- Grow a pair and start one of these young guys. You know what to expect from Gay and that is....

Getting toasted by a #2 WR. He can't cover a #2 and he never will.

Slapstick
09-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Come on Lebeau/Tomlin --- Grow a pair and start one of these young guys. You know what to expect from Gay and that is....

Except against Seattle...

papillon
09-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Their #2 probably wouldn't be #4 or #5 on other teams. He's at least their #3, because, Sideny Rice was out and I'd assume he's the #1, so that pushes the current #2 down to #3 when Rice plays.

Pappy

steelz09
09-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Their #2 probably wouldn't be #4 or #5 on other teams. He's at least their #3, because, Sideny Rice was out and I'd assume he's the #1, so that pushes the current #2 down to #3 when Rice plays.

Pappy

Exactly... and Seattle has the worst QB in the league.

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Didn't Gay play pretty well last year? I guess the idea that he has improved since 2009 is out of the question.

hawaiiansteel
09-23-2011, 06:48 PM

if you have Pierre Garcon in your fantasy league you should probably consider starting him.

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 07:19 PM
if you have Pierre Garcon in your fantasy league you should probably consider starting him.

Maybe not if Taylor is assigned to him, which Bouchette speculated will probably happen.

hawaiiansteel
09-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Maybe not if Taylor is assigned to him, which Bouchette speculated will probably happen.

that's interesting, I would have thought Ike would shadow Reggie Wayne who in my opinion is a much better and more dangerous WR than Garcon is.

Wayne's 2010 stats were 111 catches for 1355 yards and 6 TDs while Garcon caught 67 balls for 784 yards and 6 TDs.

in the first 2 games this year so far, Wayne has 11 catches for 172 yards and 1 TD while Garcon has 6 receptions for 67 yards and 0 TDs.

doesn't that look like Reggie Wayne is their #1 WR while Garcon is the #2?

Pahn711
09-23-2011, 11:31 PM

that's interesting, I would have thought Ike would shadow Reggie Wayne who in my opinion is a much better and more dangerous WR than Garcon is.

Wayne's 2010 stats were 111 catches for 1355 yards and 6 TDs while Garcon caught 67 balls for 784 yards and 6 TDs.

in the first 2 games this year so far, Wayne has 11 catches for 172 yards and 1 TD while Garcon has 6 receptions for 67 yards and 0 TDs.

doesn't that look like Reggie Wayne is their #1 WR while Garcon is the #2?

I agree, but if you watch Bouchette's latest video about the Colts game, he seems to imply that Wayne has not looked like himself the last few years. I looked up his stats same as you and wondered what he was talking about....

I don't watch Colts games so maybe he is on to something, I just don't know.

fordfixer
09-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Steelers are still waiting on CB McFadden
By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 24, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 58481.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758481.html)

Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden wasn't listed on Friday's injury report, but his status for Sunday's game at Indianapolis remains uncertain because of a tender hamstring. He said there's more than a 50-50 chance he'll play.

William Gay started last week's game against Seattle.

"I'm not sure if I'll play until I warm up on Sunday," McFadden said after Friday's practice. "There are certain movements and strides that are restricting me. It's just been a frustrating injury."

» Left guard Chris Kemoeatu said he'll certainly be in the lineup Sunday but admitted his left knee is still somewhat weak.

"I'm feeling better and getting healthy," said Kemoeatu, who twice had his knee drained last week. "I'm finally getting into the groove of things."

» Ziggy Hood is eager to get after the Colts. The third-year defensive end is expected to start Sunday because veteran Brett Keisel will be sidelined with an injured knee. The Colts prefer the pass, but Hood will be graded on how well he plays against the run.

"My run-stopping has gotten a lot better because I'm shedding blockers now," Hood said. "I was told before the lockout about things I had to step up on, so like any player I worked on it during the offseason."

» It was busy a week of practice for reserve linebackers Chris Carter and Jason Worilds. The two spent much of Friday's morning practice simulating Indianapolis defensive ends Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney.

» Indianapolis quarterback Kerry Collins hasn't looked sharp in either of the Colts' losses, but he'll rely in past successes when he faces the Steelers.

"They have a unique defense, so familiarity helps," said Collins, who has completed 35 of 69 passing attempts for 388 yards and two touchdowns this season. "At least I have something to draw on, having faced them several times the last couple of years."

Collins was 17 of 25 passing after subbing for Vince Young in the Steelers' 19-11 win at Tennessee last season.

» The Colts last started the regular season 0-3 in 1998, Peyton Manning's rookie season

» The Steelers have won 11 of the past 13 meetings with Indianapolis, but have dropped two of the past three after winning 10 straight.

» Colts receiver Reggie Wayne has a reception in 82 consecutive games.

Read more: Steelers are still waiting on CB McFadden - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1YqFBKmmi (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758481.html#ixzz1YqFBKmmi)

NorthCoast
09-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Why play a gimpy Kemo who's game is already suspect due to mental mistakes when we can have Foster in there instead?
Indy's DL is comparatively small so I hope the Steelers can manage a running game against them (although the Browns arguably with a better OL than the Steelers only managed 106 yds rushing against them last week, so I am not holding my breath on this one).

steelz09
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
having ike on garcon instead wayne....yeah, thats smart. :roll:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-25-2011, 11:08 AM

I would think that they would only put Ike on Garcon if they are planning on doubling Wayne.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

I would think that they would only put Ike on Garcon if they are planning on doubling Wayne.

I'd be more confident with Ike vs. Wayne in single coverage than Gay and Clark trying (and failing) to double cover him.