PDA

View Full Version : So where are the Dom Capers fans now?

MaxAMillion
09-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh, Capers was so brilliant after the Super Bowl. "His defense is better than Labeau's and his defense is easier to learn". Guess what, teams are moving up and down the field on the Packers like they are nothing. The Packers have given up 800 yards passing in two games. If Labeau's defense looked like the Packer's defense these first two weeks, there would be post talking about how the entire scheme is terrible and needs to be scrapped.

What about the genius Belichek? His defense is also giving up points and yards with no problem. The offense is what carries the Pats. The Ravens couldn't stop Hasslebeck last Sunday. The Eagles spend more than $20 million on corners and yet Matt Ryan goes no huddle and the Falcons start passing the ball with no problem.

I will say it again. The rules all favor the offenses now. There is no DC in the league who can shut down passing offenses. You can't hit QB too high or too low, you can't touch WR after 5 yards, and you can't hit WR high when they run across the middle. You can try and pressure the QB and that is about it.

The problem the Steelers have is that their offense is average due to the mediocre OL. When the Steelers face a good QB they will get outscored. I wish Colbert had spent more time addressing the OL and less time looking to give money to over 30 defensive players. I would be more than happy with seeing the defense get worse while seeing the offense get appreciably better due to an improve OL.

This is the new NFL. Steeler fans need to get used to it. It is about scoring points now.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I wish Colbert had spent more time addressing the OL and less time looking to give money to over 30 defensive players. I would be more than happy with seeing the defense get worse while seeing the offense get appreciably better due to an improve OL.

What would you have suggested, specifically, this offseason? Would you have not re-signed Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu in favor of bringing in guys like Tyson Clabo and Harvey Dahl?

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
What would you have suggested, specifically, this offseason? Would you have not re-signed Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu in favor of bringing in guys like Tyson Clabo and Harvey Dahl?

this question wasn't directed at me but here's one thing I would have done.

I absolutely would have signed Ike, Woodley and Troy.

but I would have pursued OG Brian Waters very hard after the Chiefs released him, he would have solved our RG problems for at least this and next season.

where would the $ to sign him have come from? Aaron Smith as stated that the Steelers never approached him about restructuring his contract, if I was the FO I would have definitely approached Smitty in order to upgrade a weak link in the OL and protect our franchise QB. and if that didn't save enough $ to sign Waters, bye bye Arnaz Battle...

papillon
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know where the Dom Capers fans are and it doesn't matter. One thing is certain; to win and get into the playoffs and then compete for a Super Bowl you will not be able to lean on your defense as in the past. Your offense is going to have to be able to hang 24 plus points on the other team or you will lose.

Green Bay, Saints, Patriots are going to put up a lot of points, a defense can only hope to limit the damage. The Steelers offense will have to do much better than they are now to win a game against any of these three teams. The defense won't be able to throttle them, IMO.

Pappy

feltdizz
09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't buy it.. it's been 2 weeks and teams didn't have OTA's. I don't think this air attack will happen all season.

I don't think anyone is a Dom Capers fan in terms of shutting teams down. Do you really think Keenan Lewis, Butler and Brown would have been on GB's bench or cut while guys like Gay and McFadden started? I say hell no. The only thing people were fans of is Capers ability to put young guys on the field so we can see if they can sink or swim.

When has anyone talked about how awesome GB's defense is? I've never seen them shut down a team's passing attack.

pittpete
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
The rules all favor the offenses now.

When the Steelers face a good QB they will get outscored.

The problem the Steelers have is that their offense is average due to the mediocre OL.

Yes
Yes
Yes-add in an OC that refuses to change his playcalling knowing that the OL is mediocre....

ikestops85
09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
I think the days of a dominant defense are over. The Steelers, under LeBeau, have probably the best D in the league but we all know it has it's weaknesses.

If I remember correctly SD had the #1 defense in the league last year. So far this year they have been shredded by the Pats. The Jets were #3 and Romo put up around 350 yards in the air. The Saints were #4 and we saw what Rogers did to them in the opening game. The Pack was #5 and they have given up huge chunks in the air to both Brees and rookie Cam Newton.

There isn't a defense around anymore that can shut down the pass consistently. The rules favor the offense too much. So, while LeBeau's defense may be complicated, it seems to be worth it cause it's still the best.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
One thing is certain; to win and get into the playoffs and then compete for a Super Bowl you will not be able to lean on your defense as in the past. Your offense is going to have to be able to hang 24 plus points on the other team or you will lose.

Luckily in the playoffs in the Roethlisberger era, we have been able to score 20, 27, 31, 21, 34, 21, 29, 35, 23, 27, 31, 24, and 25 points.

Oviedo
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't know where the Dom Capers fans are and it doesn't matter. One thing is certain; to win and get into the playoffs and then compete for a Super Bowl you will not be able to lean on your defense as in the past. Your offense is going to have to be able to hang 24 plus points on the other team or you will lose.

Green Bay, Saints, Patriots are going to put up a lot of points, a defense can only hope to limit the damage. The Steelers offense will have to do much better than they are now to win a game against any of these three teams. The defense won't be able to throttle them, IMO.

Pappy

:Agree It's about scoring and scoring consistently. Defensively you have to get to the QB or you stand little chance of winning. It's all about the pass rush and punishing the QB into making mistakes. We failed to do that in the last Super Bowl and that is why we lost. It is also the same reason we consistently lose to Tom Brady. We can't get to him because he gets rid of the ball quickly.

steelblood
09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm a big fan of Dom Capers'
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/dom-capers-packers.jpg
hair.

NJ-STEELER
09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
from a fan of a team thats had a Couple of really horrible hangover type years after winning the superbowl

complaining about the pack and their 2-0 record doesnt seem right

BradshawsHairdresser
09-22-2011, 06:21 PM
from a fan of a team thats had a Couple of really horrible hangover type years after winning the superbowl

complaining about the pack and their 2-0 record doesnt seem right
$$$$$$$$

Dee Dub
09-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm right here!! Huge Dom Capers fan. And what's wrong with being a fan of one fo the greateast Steeler defensive cordinators they have ever had?

Not sure what your point is???

....."His defense is better than Labeau's and his defense is easier to learn".

I'm not sure who ever said that...but I didnt.

I personally prefer Capers' all out zone blitz approach over LeBeau's drop more in coverage approach but to say one is easier to learn when they pretty much run the same scheme is pretty lame.

But I can't see how any Steeeler fan can't appreciate what LeBeau has done for the Steelers. And I certainly do. Just would prefer Capers over him.

Sonny
09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
This makes me even more upset that, in a game where the O-Line held up about as well as they did all season, our elite offense couldn't put up the necessary points on the board and win the SB in a classic shootout.

All against a soft Dom Capers defense that allows 800 yards passing in 2 games.

frankthetank1
09-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Pappy

:Agree It's about scoring and scoring consistently. Defensively you have to get to the QB or you stand little chance of winning. It's all about the pass rush and punishing the QB into making mistakes. We failed to do that in the last Super Bowl and that is why we lost. It is also the same reason we consistently lose to Tom Brady. We can't get to him because he gets rid of the ball quickly.

very true. qb's with quick releases kill the steelers. it doesnt help not blitzing and sitting back in coverage and letting the qb pick you apart. i have no clue what kind of game plan that is against a good qb. imo lebeau's "scheme" last season against the pats was worse than any game plan i have seen from arians.

in the super bowl there were so many plays where rogers barely got rid of the ball before getting hit. to me thats more on the db's. you have to at least cover for a few seconds. a great pass rush means nothing if there are wr's open immediately after the ball is snapped

feltdizz
09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
This makes me even more upset that, in a game where the O-Line held up about as well as they did all season, our elite offense couldn't put up the necessary points on the board and win the SB in a classic shootout.

All against a soft Dom Capers defense that allows 800 yards passing in 2 games.

2 games THIS year... without OTA's and new rules that favor passing even more.

Cam dropped back 50+ times...

Brees dropped back 49 times...

Djfan
09-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I keep hoping that the game plan against the cheats will be a hybrid of one-on-one coverage and zone. I can't put it together yet, but can't we man-on-man for five seconds then drop to zone? I know it's crazy, but DBs drop receivers to safeties all the time.

My thinking is that marsha isn't ready for that. He is expecting our soft under zone stuff. So we man up, just long enough to get him to have to adjust and think twice. That might get Deebo time to get in his face.

phillyesq
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm right here!! Huge Dom Capers fan. And what's wrong with being a fan of one fo the greateast Steeler defensive cordinators they have ever had?

Not sure what your point is???

:Agree

I loved Dom Capers as the defensive coordinator when he was in Pittsburgh. He and Lebeau have always been my favorite D coordinators. I'd hate to have to try and choose one over the other in terms of preference.

grotonsteel
09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I keep hoping that the game plan against the cheats will be a hybrid of one-on-one coverage and zone. I can't put it together yet, but can't we man-on-man for five seconds then drop to zone? I know it's crazy, but DBs drop receivers to safeties all the time.

My thinking is that marsha isn't ready for that. He is expecting our soft under zone stuff. So we man up, just long enough to get him to have to adjust and think twice. That might get Deebo time to get in his face.

I hope Steelers don't show any new stuff to Marsha and Bellicheat. Let Cheatroits enjoy regular season win.They still might be recording the signals. I don't trust Bellicheat.

Surprise them in playoffs and defeat Cheatroits in playoffs.

feltdizz
09-23-2011, 12:31 PM

I hope Steelers don't show any new stuff to Marsha and Bellicheat. Let Cheatroits enjoy regular season win.They still might be recording the signals. I don't trust Bellicheat.

avoid them in the playoffs and make another SB...

Sorry but I've seen the Pats embarrass us too many times in the playoffs.. on our field too.

phillyesq
09-23-2011, 01:41 PM

avoid them in the playoffs and make another SB...

Sorry but I've seen the Pats embarrass us too many times in the playoffs.. on our field too.

Yup, I'd be fine with winning a third SB that avoids dealing with Brady and the *s.

MaxAMillion
09-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I just saw on NFL Network where they said that 15 QB's have passer ratings over 90 and there has been a record number of passing yards over the first two weeks. More proof of my point that this is now a pass first league where you have to score to win.

Dee Dub
09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
I just saw on NFL Network where they said that 15 QB's have passer ratings over 90 and there has been a record number of passing yards over the first two weeks. More proof of my point that this is now a pass first league where you have to score to win.

But look at the win/loss records of some those QB's and how many touchdowns they have. Some, like the over hyped Cam Newton, are win less and in the red zone, arent really scoring. In fact Newton has more INT's than TD's. And on that list you will find the likes of Alex Smith who has 2 TD's in 2 games.

Passing yards doesnt always equate to scoring.

feltdizz
09-23-2011, 03:00 PM

But look at the win/loss records of some those QB's and how many touchdowns they have. Some, like the over hyped Cam Newton, are win less and in the red zone, arent really scoring. In fact Newton has more INT's than TD's. And on that list you will find the likes of Alex Smith who has 2 TD's in 2 games.

Passing yards doesnt always equate to scoring.

Over hyped Cam Newton? The guy was called Jamarcus Russell 2.0, a bust, scam newton...

Experts questioned his work ethic, his fake smile and others wondered if he would be out of a job by the end of the year.

Carolina was 2-14 last year... I live in Charlotte and trust me.. the guy is going to be a very good QB.

Sonny
09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
The guy was called Jamarcus Russell 2.0, a bust, scam newton... Not by the people that mattered. #1 pick..

Dee Dub
09-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Cam Newton has played a whole two games in the NFL. Way too earliy to be saying he is going to be great. I see a lot of wholes in his game. And I can assure you teams will exploit his weaknesses as they get more film on him. Let's see how he holds up under adversity. Remember Vince Young was the rookie of the year and this dude can't hit water if he feel out of a boat. And is nothing more than a 3rd stringer now. I am going to say it....Cam Newton isnt going to be great.

hawaiiansteel
09-25-2011, 02:41 AM
I am going to say it....Cam Newton isnt going to be great.

maybe not, but he is off to a great start.

at least he's giving Panthers fans some much needed hope for the future...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9075/camaz.jpg