PDA

View Full Version : Don Banks (references Mike Wallace)

anger 82&95
09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
"third-year receiver Mike Wallace has been a constant thus far for Pittsburgh. Wallace has made eight catches in each game, with a pair of 100-yard performances and one scoring reception. If he's not the best receiver in the AFC North, I'd like to hear who is."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... pt=hp_bn10 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/21/week2/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10)

NorCal-Steeler
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Lets hope wallace doesnt read well or we wont be able to resign him next year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-22-2011, 09:47 AM
FWIW, who is his competition for best receiver in the AFC North?

After Boldin I can't think of one top NFL receiver.

ikestops85
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
FWIW, who is his competition for best receiver in the AFC North?

After Boldin I can't think of one top NFL receiver.

Exactly ... if we only have to pay him as the best receiver in the AFC North we will be lucky. The problem is he is one of the best receivers in the league IMHO. I don't want to hear any of this "one trick pony" crap anymore.

Shawn
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I believe by season end Wallace will post top 3 numbers in the NFL.

Slapstick
09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
This offseason, we will see what kind of person Mike Wallace is...

I agree that he is quickly becoming one of the best WRs in the game...

The Steelers will place the most restrictive tender offer on him...if Wallace makes a big stink and holds out, we will know if he should be in the long term plans or not...

If he behaves like Lamarr Woodley and says and does all the right things, he will find himself rewarded in a similar manner...

steeler_george
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
I definetly agree, he is finally being regarded as a top WR and finally getting the recognition around the league and media, which he deserves.

He is defently worth to put a franchise tag on him. With some vets most likely gone next year, I see where we can wiggle some room to sign him.

However, even if we loose him in free agency, we definetly will get awarded a #1 and a # 3 rd pick, and our youngsters in Brown and Sanders look splitting images of him in regards of big plays.

So the lose of Wallace might be more of a rewarding in the future of this organization.

Shawn
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I definetly agree, he is finally being regarded as a top WR and finally getting the recognition around the league and media, which he deserves.

He is defently worth to put a franchise tag on him. With some vets most likely gone next year, I see where we can wiggle some room to sign him.

However, even if we loose him in free agency, we definetly will get awarded a #1 and a # 3 rd pick, and our youngsters in Brown and Sanders look splitting images of him in regards of big plays.

So the lose of Wallace might be more of a rewarding in the future of this organization.

I can't agree with that. I wouldn't take a first and a third for Wallace. Wallace takes the top off, and not only opens up passing lanes but running lanes. Did you see how much respect those Seahawks DBs gave to Wallace? Besides Ben, Wallace is the most important guy on the O.

steelblood
09-22-2011, 04:58 PM

I can't agree with that. I wouldn't take a first and a third for Wallace. Wallace takes the top off, and not only opens up passing lanes but running lanes. Did you see how much respect those Seahawks DBs gave to Wallace? Besides Ben, Wallace is the most important guy on the O.

Yeah, Brown and Sanders are not Wallace.

I do feel that Wallace will not have that dominant speed for a long time. Most of these speed merchants fall off after their first major knee or leg injury and/or come down to earth in speed as they approach thirty. Signing Wallace to a long extension is a huge gamble given his slight frame and reliance on his speed.

Dee Dub
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Who was that guy on this forum last year that kept telling everyone that Wallace had already arrived and all the Steelers needed to do was get him the ball more?

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

:tt2

insanesteelersfan
09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Who was that guy on this forum last year that kept telling everyone that Wallace had already arrived and all the Steelers needed to do was get him the ball more?

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

Actually Dub, that was me. And I also was one who was advocating re-signing him first, before the Likes of Troy, and releasing vets like Aaron to get the money to do so. If Wallace has another great season, then tender offer or not, he will get a huge offer from the likes of Al Davis, or Snyder, or someone else. A offer that Pittsburgh will likely not offer. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it might.

Slapstick
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Actually Dub, that was me. And I also was one who was advocating re-signing him first, before the Likes of Troy, and releasing vets like Aaron to get the money to do so. If Wallace has another great season, then tender offer or not, he will get a huge offer from the likes of Al Davis, or Snyder, or someone else. A offer that Pittsburgh will likely not offer. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it might.

I don't think so...

If the Steelers put a restrictive tender on him, I don't think anyone would give the Steelers a 1st round pick AND a 3rd round pick AND pay a huge sum of money to Wallace...

I suppose it's possible, but if history repeats itself, a team like the Raiders will be drafting in the top 10....I'd have to think about it....

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2011, 11:15 PM

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

Actually Dub, that was me.

hey insane,

it says that you joined this board on April 20th of this year, about 5 months ago.

so how could you be the guy telling everyone on this forum about Wallace last year?

frankthetank1
09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
This offseason, we will see what kind of person Mike Wallace is...

I agree that he is quickly becoming one of the best WRs in the game...

The Steelers will place the most restrictive tender offer on him...if Wallace makes a big stink and holds out, we will know if he should be in the long term plans or not...

If he behaves like Lamarr Woodley and says and does all the right things, he will find himself rewarded in a similar manner...

no way wallace makes a big stink. he has great character and is not the typical prima-dona nfl wr. wallace wont be going anywhere. besides ben he is the most important guy on the offense. i wouldnt give wallace up for a 1st and a 2nd round pick. he is still very young and is already a top 5 wr in the nfl. its hard to believe that he hasnt peaked and still isnt in his prime yet. the sky is the limit with wallace

Shawn
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

While I understand you like to toot your own horn...literally can't help yourself...last season Wallace was not a complete WR. He was on the verge. What is different this season is the fact that he is making D's pay for playing back on him. He is taking advantage of whatever the D's give him. If they play him tight, he burns em deep. If they play him loose he is becoming a guy who clips off 10-11 yards with ease. He is now the complete package. Last season he showed signs of it...but hadn't put it all together.

NorthCoast
09-23-2011, 12:44 PM
My jury is still out on Wallace as a complete WR. Up to last week Wallace made plays by out running the DBs. Seattle was noticeable in changing coverage to a wide cushion. I need a few weeks of info to see how Wallace/BA adjust their games to take advantage (Seattle doesn't count cause their D plain sucks). Can Wallace run the underneath stuff with precision and get open like a Hines Ward? that is the question to be answered.

Dee Dub
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

While I understand you like to toot your own horn...literally can't help yourself...last season Wallace was not a complete WR. He was on the verge. What is different this season is the fact that he is making D's pay for playing back on him. He is taking advantage of whatever the D's give him. If they play him tight, he burns em deep. If they play him loose he is becoming a guy who clips off 10-11 yards with ease. He is now the complete package. Last season he showed signs of it...but hadn't put it all together.

Ok Shawn, so how much could Wallace have improved from the end of last season to now considering there was no OTA’s, mini-camps, and a reduced full camp? Makes no sense. He was pretty much who he now is this time last year. Only difference is he is now the Steelers go to guy and they are getting him the ball.

Shawn
09-23-2011, 01:59 PM
My jury is still out on Wallace as a complete WR. Up to last week Wallace made plays by out running the DBs. Seattle was noticeable in changing coverage to a wide cushion. I need a few weeks of info to see how Wallace/BA adjust their games to take advantage (Seattle doesn't count cause their D plain sucks). Can Wallace run the underneath stuff with precision and get open like a Hines Ward? that is the question to be answered.

What I have noticed is tighter route running...and taking what is given to him. I suspect the Steelers are hot reading Wallace based on what the D's are doing. And his route running against the Seahawks was nice. I like what I am seeing.

Dee Dub
09-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

hey insane,

it says that you joined this board on April 20th of this year, about 5 months ago.

so how could you be the guy telling everyone on this forum about Wallace last year?

Hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From the mouth of Orange Juice Jones..."Now close yo mouth cuz you are cold busted".

Great job Hawaiian. :Clap

Dee Dub
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
...What I have noticed is tighter route running....

You can see this from your T.V.? Wow...you have some great eyes. :shock:

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 02:23 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":31xab4nm]Who was that guy on this forum last year that kept telling everyone that Wallace had already arrived and all the Steelers needed to do was get him the ball more?

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

hey insane,

From the mouth of Orange Juice Jones..."Now close yo mouth cuz you are cold busted".

Great job Hawaiian. :Clap[/quote:31xab4nm]

Ah no actually he didn't bust me. I was here before a while back. My old system crashed, and I had to replace it, and when I re-registered, I chose this name. So there Dub. And trust me, no one here, nor anywhere else has been touting the greatness of Mike Wallace more then me. I had him on my steeler radar 2 years before we drafted him. And before the 2009 draft, I was all over steeler sites saying how we gotta get this kid. And alas, the steelers did :Bow And anyone who thinks this kid is not growing leaps and bounds, and who thinks this guy is not a complete WR doesn't know the game. All he is gonna do in his 3rd season is shatter every single steeler WR record for a single season....catches, yards, probably TD's, ect.

The kid IS a complete NFL WR!

Djfan
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
So, insane, what was your nik back then?

hawaiiansteel
09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2ocrsj6j]Who was that guy on this forum last year that kept telling everyone that Wallace had already arrived and all the Steelers needed to do was get him the ball more?

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

hey insane,

And trust me, no one here, nor anywhere else has been touting the greatness of Mike Wallace more then me. I had him on my steeler radar 2 years before we drafted him. And before the 2009 draft, I was all over steeler sites saying how we gotta get this kid. And alas, the steelers did :Bow
[/quote:2ocrsj6j]

oh yeah, well I had Mike Wallace on my radar and was touting him all over Steeler sites 2 years before he was even born.

okay, it's your turn again insane...

insanesteelersfan
09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
oh yeah, well I had Mike Wallace on my radar and was touting him all over Steeler sites 2 years before he was even born.

okay, it's your turn again insane...[/quote]

I can't beat that. You are DA MAN! I guess all I can say is..... :owned ...as in I...got owned!!

hawaiiansteel
09-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I can't beat that. You are DA MAN!

:Cheers

ikestops85
09-23-2011, 10:57 PM

What I have noticed is tighter route running...and taking what is given to him. I suspect the Steelers are hot reading Wallace based on what the D's are doing. And his route running against the Seahawks was nice. I like what I am seeing.

I have to side with Dee Dub on this. Wallace turned into a complete WR last year. He started to run better outs and got better running rubs on the crossing patterns. You do realize he has to run the patterns called, right? So if they use him a lot to clear out the underneath he can't do anything about it. I believe he finished the season with 3 straight games over 100 yards and has opened this season up with 2 more.

The guy was the real deal last year and the great thing about him is he is going to get better. :tt2

fordfixer
09-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Wallace 'lagging' behind stated goal of 2,000 yards
http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/st ... 4cc4a.html (http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/steelers/wallace-lagging-behind-stated-goal-of-yards/article_9e337823-1bd4-5965-9c1b-0bc241d4cc4a.html)

Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 2:00 am | Updated: 12:10 am, Fri Sep 23, 2011.

By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com | 0 comments

PITTSBURGH — After two games, wide receiver Mike Wallace is second in the NFL with 16 catches and fourth with 233 yards.

That puts him on pace for 128 catches for 1,864 yards, or 136 yards below his stated goal of 2,000.

In other words, “The Kid” is lagging.

“Yeah. Kind of got to get that up. It’s been kind of a slow start,” Wallace said in an actual attempt at seriousness. “I need to make some more plays for our team.”

Of course, 2,000 yards is an absurdly high number. The NFL record, held by Jerry Rice, is 1,848 yards. Rice set that mark in 1995.

Wallace explained that he really wasn’t serious when he made the statement, but that it’s now become the bar.

“They asked me with E and Tony standing right there,” Wallace said of reporters at training camp talking to Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown and himself.

“They were like, ‘These two guys say they’re going for a thousand yards. What’s your goal?’ I was like, ‘Two thousand.’ I was just saying something and it blew up. So I’ve just got to roll with it and I’m rolling with it.”

POUNCEY FEELING GOOD: After struggling earlier with the recovery of last year’s injury to his left ankle, Maurkice Pouncey is now having problems with his left hamstring. It cost him most of Wednesday’s practice, but he practiced in full Thursday.

“They’re not related at all,” Pouncey said of the left leg problems. “At least I hope they’re not.”

If Pouncey can’t play, Doug Legursky would play center and Ramon Foster would move back to what had become his home last year, right guard.

“Basically Doug was more consistent with his play as far as mental errors and stuff like that,” Foster said of losing the job he held throughout the second half of last season and the playoffs.

“Coach said it’s one of those things where it was a close race.”

Foster filled in at left guard last week to replace injured Chris Kemoeatu, who’s returned to his spot in spite of Foster’s strong performance.

“I liked his effort, his finish, his play demeanor. It’s what we desire,” said Tomlin.

Sounds like Foster’s been motivated.

“I definitely wanted to show more than what I had been putting out there,” he said.

On one memorable play Sunday against Seattle, Foster pulled right and took out three Seahawks to spring Isaac Redman’s 20-yard touchdown run.

“Red made it that much better by scoring a touchdown. I’ve got to give thanks to him,” Foster said. “I was just doing my job right there.”

PATIENCE UNDER HOOD: Ziggy Hood was given a taste of life as a starting defensive end last season when Aaron Smith was injured in October. Hood started the last 10 games of the regular season and then started all three playoff games. He had three sacks in the regular season and two in the playoffs, with four of those sacks coming in his final five games.

Of course, Smith has returned to his spot and Hood went back to the bench for the first two games this season. He could return to the lineup Sunday to replace the other end, Brett Keisel, who’s questionable with a knee injury.

Hood said he wouldn’t have any trouble moving over to the right side.

“It’s probably not as hard (as DT) because you have to figure your footwork out as you listen to different calls,” Hood said. “But if you practice it during the week, and maybe some time during the offseason, you get used to both sides. That’s what I have been doing. I may not have been taking reps at right (DE), but during the individual periods I’ve been working left and right just in case something happens.”

Not that he would complain whether he’s starting or not. Hood says he’s ready, but not frustrated.

“Oh, no. I’m 24 years old. I’ve got a lot of time to go,” he said. “All I need is one good play to get it going and I can go up from there.”

RuthlessBurgher
09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2wuqstqf]Who was that guy on this forum last year that kept telling everyone that Wallace had already arrived and all the Steelers needed to do was get him the ball more?

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

hey insane,

Ah no actually he didn't bust me. I was here before a while back. My old system crashed, and I had to replace it, and when I re-registered, I chose this name. So there Dub. And trust me, no one here, nor anywhere else has been touting the greatness of Mike Wallace more then me. I had him on my steeler radar 2 years before we drafted him. And before the 2009 draft, I was all over steeler sites saying how we gotta get this kid. And alas, the steelers did :Bow And anyone who thinks this kid is not growing leaps and bounds, and who thinks this guy is not a complete WR doesn't know the game. All he is gonna do in his 3rd season is shatter every single steeler WR record for a single season....catches, yards, probably TD's, ect.

The kid IS a complete NFL WR![/quote:2wuqstqf]

Had him on your Steeler radar 2 years before we drafted him, eh?

Yeah, those 24 catches for 410 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2006 really lit a fire. He was obviously "the MAN" even way back then. Way to go, Nostradamus of the end zone!!! :roll:

Shawn
09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
...What I have noticed is tighter route running....

You can see this from your T.V.? Wow...you have some great eyes. :shock:

No need to get your feelings hurt. But, you must understand if you pat yourself on the back some might find it boorish.

As for your backhanded comment at me. Yes, from my TV I can see that Wallace had a propensity to round off routes in the past. He looked Teddy Ginnish in his lack of crisp route running. But, unlike Ginn...Wallace's route running looks much sharper.

Shawn
09-24-2011, 02:00 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":27rxgy5f]Who was that guy on this forum last year that kept telling everyone that Wallace had already arrived and all the Steelers needed to do was get him the ball more?

Cha-ching!! Samolians!!!

Ok Shawn, so how much could Wallace have improved from the end of last season to now considering there was no OTA’s, mini-camps, and a reduced full camp? Makes no sense. He was pretty much who he now is this time last year. Only difference is he is now the Steelers go to guy and they are getting him the ball.[/quote:27rxgy5f]

Is a man who is a trainer for NFL players really asking how a guy might get better at route running in the offseason?

Shawn
09-24-2011, 02:02 PM

I have to side with Dee Dub on this. Wallace turned into a complete WR last year. He started to run better outs and got better running rubs on the crossing patterns. You do realize he has to run the patterns called, right? So if they use him a lot to clear out the underneath he can't do anything about it. I believe he finished the season with 3 straight games over 100 yards and has opened this season up with 2 more.

The guy was the real deal last year and the great thing about him is he is going to get better. :tt2

According to Dubs you can't see that on your TV.

frankthetank1
09-24-2011, 02:20 PM

wasnt that answered in week one? he was open all game against the ravens running short routes. i agree the seattle game means nothing, but the ravens defense is pretty good.

fordfixer
09-24-2011, 10:17 PM
No answer insane, the question isn't that hard. Or is there a reason you dont answer like you have been baned here befor?

D Rock
09-25-2011, 12:07 AM
The first ever mention of Mike Wallace on this board was by steelernation77 on Feb. 22, 2009

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5625&p=66366&hilit=Wallace#p66366 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5625&p=66366&hilit=Wallace#p66366)

The next (not including expert mock drafts posted) was by Chavezz followed by a joke from MeetJoeGreene and some commentary from Ruthless

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6048&p=72582&hilit=Wallace#p72582 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6048&p=72582&hilit=Wallace#p72582)

this list goes on and on

fordfixer
09-25-2011, 12:18 AM
No answer insane, the question isn't that hard. Or is there a reason you dont answer like you have been baned here befor?

Still dodging the question

Djfan
09-25-2011, 02:52 AM

I was kind of sitting back on this one, too. I would love an answer!

fordfixer
09-25-2011, 05:48 PM

I was kind of sitting back on this one, too. I would love an answer!

Insane did you think of an answer yet? It really shouldn't be that hard. We would like to know