PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Isaac Redman is a revelation

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2011, 02:34 AM
https://admin-newyork1.bloxcms.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/64/464abb7e-ba25-11e0-811a-001a4bcf6878/4e331e8facbbf.image.jpg

Bires: Redman a revelation

Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/57/157d06a5-5304-5d40-866c-007c199fe9e3/4e792df2341a5.preview-300.jpg

Isaac Redman hit paydirt on a 20-yard run Sunday against Seattle.

PITTSBURGH - As the man who backs up the "lead dog," Isaac Redman knows his opportunities are limited. But that doesn't stop him from making the most of his few chances.

Redman's story is quite refreshing. He made the Steelers' roster in 2009 as an undrafted rookie out of Bowie State. He's the first alum from the NCAA Division II school in Maryland to play a snap in the NFL.

As a rookie, Redman hardly played. As the fourth running back on the roster, he only dressed in one game, not even touching the ball once.

But over the last two years, he's emerged as the No. 2 option at running back behind Rashard Mendenhall.

"I want people to know that I can do the job," he said.

Redman certainly did that last November by scoring the winning touchdown in a 13-10 win in Baltimore, a come-from-behind thriller that put the Steelers in command of the AFC North. On a third-and-goal from the 9-yard line, Ben Roethlisberger dumped off to Redman when all his other receivers were covered.

After catching the pass, Redman broke a tackle and bulled his way into the end. That instantly catapulted him into a Steeler hero.

"That was the game that ultimately gave us home-field advantage in the playoffs," he said. "And the funny thing about it, I shouldn't have even been on the field. That was a play for (third-down back) Mewelde Moore. But by the time the coaches realized I was out there, it was too late to make a change. So I guess you can say the rest was history."

Redman nor anyone else on offense was much of factor when the Steelers returned to Baltimore for this year's season opener, a 35-7 debacle. But on Sunday when the Steelers crushed the Seahawks, 24-0, Redman broke free for a 20-yard TD run in the second quarter. It was easily his most impressive run as a pro as he sprinted through the hole and then juked out a defensive back once he got into the secondary.

"Whenever I get the ball in my hands I want to make something happen," said Redman, who complemented Mendenhall's 66-yard performance with 49 rushing yards of his own.

Clearly, Mendenhall is the "lead dog" (as offensive coordinator Bruce Arians refers to him) when the Steelers run the ball. After all, Mendenhall rushed for 1,108 and 1,273 yards the past two seasons.

But Redman is a great option to have whenever Mendenhall needs rested. After two games, Mendenhall averages 3.5 yards per carry. Redman averages 4.9.

Maybe the Steelers need to expand his workload.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 2b8d6.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/bires-redman-a-revelation/article_30e5fc48-1df3-563d-95e0-c33835a2b8d6.html)

proudpittsburgher
09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
That redman pic is awesome. Dude has rubber bands inside those ankles.

feltdizz
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
more touches please

ikestops85
09-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeh, but can he do it against a 1st string defense? Oh wait, he has. :moon

Sorry O ... I just had to. :P

Djfan
09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
This is an example of the baffling coaching in Da Burgh. This guy may not ever be number one, but he has proven his skillset is worthy of much more of a role.

I just don't get it.

SidSmythe
09-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Isaac Redman :Boobs

Oviedo
09-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Admittedly I've not been a Redman fan but he has been winning me over this season thus far. That is why I'm not employed in the NFL.

Steel Life
09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
What would be wrong with having 2 1000yd. RBs? Thunder & lightning baby!

phillyesq
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm glad to see that the coaching staff has been working Redman into the gameplan a bit more this year. I'd like to see his role continue to expand, within reason.

The YPC stats always seem to be a bit deceiving. The backup typically has better numbers because they come in fresh and don't bear as much of a load.

It would be nice to see Redman used a bit more to wear down the defense, especially a small D like Indy. I'd also like to see some sets with him in the backfield with Mendenhall. From what I remember seeing of Redman, he can be a pretty effective lead blocker on outside runs.

Sugar
09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm glad to see that the coaching staff has been working Redman into the gameplan a bit more this year. I'd like to see his role continue to expand, within reason.

The YPC stats always seem to be a bit deceiving. The backup typically has better numbers because they come in fresh and don't bear as much of a load.

It would be nice to see Redman used a bit more to wear down the defense, especially a small D like Indy. I'd also like to see some sets with him in the backfield with Mendenhall. From what I remember seeing of Redman, he can be a pretty effective lead blocker on outside runs.

:Agree

I was thinking the same thing about Indy. Their D seems best when it's attacking a passer. Using both RB's a lot would be wise for this game, IMO. It might be ugly for a while, but we can batter them into submission old school style.

Djfan
09-22-2011, 10:07 AM

:Agree

I was thinking the same thing about Indy. Their D seems best when it's attacking a passer. Using both RB's a lot would be wise for this game, IMO. It might be ugly for a while, but we can batter them into submission old school style.

It will also accentuate the offense. They have none IMO, so ours needs to own the clock and the field. The game clock burns quicker and the TOP is owned. This seems like a gimmie game plan for this week. It also opens up the play action, if BA remembers what that is.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Admittedly I've not been a Redman fan
That's an understatement. If it had been up to you, he'd have never gotten a chance. :)

feltdizz
09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Admittedly I've not been a Redman fan but he has been winning me over this season thus far. That is why I'm not employed in the NFL.

This season? :wft

It's been 2 games... last season Redman was pretty damn good. If last season didn't win you over it's because you don't like the guy.

Leper Friend
09-22-2011, 11:12 AM
On Antonio Brown's long punt return last week there was just an absolute great play by Redman. It's kind of subtle , but I loved it. If you rewatch the play ,there's a guy in position for the tackle and Redman comes running up from behind him. Instead of going for the kill shot he just positions himself perfectly by running past the guy a bit then shielding him from the tackle.

It sounds like no big deal but I've seen that same play a thousand times where the guy would just block in the back and you see the flag and know the play is coming back before it's even over.

It sounds simple but for whatever reason , alot of guys can't help it and get the illegal block in the back call. Redman seems to have a high football iq.

RuthlessBurgher
09-22-2011, 01:26 PM
"That was the game that ultimately gave us home-field advantage in the playoffs," he said. "And the funny thing about it, I shouldn't have even been on the field. That was a play for (third-down back) Mewelde Moore. But by the time the coaches realized I was out there, it was too late to make a change. So I guess you can say the rest was history."

Suffice it to say, but if the intended personnel were on the field for that play, there is no way I see Moore making it into the end zone.

isonator07
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
On Antonio Brown's long punt return last week there was just an absolute great play by Redman. It's kind of subtle , but I loved it. If you rewatch the play ,there's a guy in position for the tackle and Redman comes running up from behind him. Instead of going for the kill shot he just positions himself perfectly by running past the guy a bit then shielding him from the tackle.

It sounds like no big deal but I've seen that same play a thousand times where the guy would just block in the back and you see the flag and know the play is coming back before it's even over.

It sounds simple but for whatever reason , alot of guys can't help it and get the illegal block in the back call. Redman seems to have a high football iq.

I remember that play. During the game I wasn't sure who made the block, but I thought it was a smart move. Redman is a playmaker.

I don't know the stats on his 3rd and short runs, but when he gets the ball in the spot I always think he will pick it up. His second effort is the best on the team IMO.

steelblood
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM

I remember that play. During the game I wasn't sure who made the block, but I thought it was a smart move. Redman is a playmaker.

I don't know the stats on his 3rd and short runs, but when he gets the ball in the spot I always think he will pick it up. His second effort is the best on the team IMO.

I was saying to my wife during the last game that it seems he is never tackled by the first man. He does not posses great speed or quickness, but he is strong, slippery, and elusive. I love watching him run. He reminds me of Merrill Hoge (with more wiggle).

Flasteel
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM

You are spot-on brother. I made it a point to say something to my buddy about that play...it shows that his head is in the game and things aren't too fast for him.

Redman just flat-out gets it done!