PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 9.20.11

fordfixer
09-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 9.20.11
Tuesday, 20 September 2011 14:23
Written by Dan Gigler
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ript-92011 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111909-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-92011)

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin.

jayhawk67: How's Ben's knee?

Ed Bouchette: He's fine. Not even on the injury list, not mentioned at all by Mike Tomlin today.

Chooch: Any chance we might see Redman in short yardage situations this week?

Ed Bouchette: you saw him a lot last week, he even went in for a play at the goal line. Don't know if they're ready to put him in on the goal line on a regular basis, though.

Chooch: How did the rookie Gilbert grade out in his first start?

Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin said today he and Ramon Foster played 'above the line.'' Of course, playing above this offensive line would not take a whole lot at this point.

tennbob: Two of Sepulvada's punts boomed into the end zone. Doesn't anyone kick for the "coffin corner" anymore?

Ed Bouchette: Tom Coughlin?

The Professor: Ed, why are the Steelers so reluctant to cut ties with some their over-priced veterans who have little impact on games, like Aaron Smith, Farrior, Kemoeatu, Hampton, Hoke, McFadden etc.? I hate to be cold considering they helped win Super Bowls in the past, but business is business, and the Steelers would have been better served to have acquired younger, cheaper replacements.

Ed Bouchette: Did those guys do nothing to help them reach the Super Bowl last season?

Nate: Ed, Were you surprised that with the game easily in hand, and after Ben taking that big hit to the knee, that he was still in to the very end? Why not get him (and others) some well deserved rest and let Batch get some late game snaps.

Ed Bouchette: No, they were handing the ball off a lot. I don't know too many coaches who pull their starters with a 24-0 lead.

Bacon Neck: It looked to me like William Gay played well Sunday (I think he's under-appreciated in general), but I didn't notice Keenan Lewis much. Is that a good thing? How did Lewis do?

Ed Bouchette: I'm going by what Mike Tomlin said today, and he said he did a "solid job.'' He said Lewis played "a lot of routes close.''

Guest: Any concern that Heath Miller seems to be a forgotten man in the Steeler O?

Ed Bouchette: After two games? Nope.

Greg B. in Indy: Hey Ed, I live in Indy and I'm just curious if there are any restaurants or other places you like to check out when you're in town?

Ed Bouchette: Yes.

Steel Curtain Rising: To what do you attribute the spike in passing yards, is it simply the "no launching at a defenseless reciever rule?"

Ed Bouchette: The league has been passing rules to favor the passing game for years and I think it's just a natural progression that the passing yards will continue to pile up because of it.

sms: Is keisel replaced (long term) if hood performs while presumably keisel is out....

Ed Bouchette: No, I don't think so. I think they are happy with Brett Keisel's play and will continue to work their young guys into the rotation.

Pepperjack Cheese Indy: Ed, allow me to speak for everyone in Indianapolis when I say that I am very pleased that you will be returning to our fair city this weekend. The Dean returns! Hooray!! Do you have a "favorite thing" about Indy?

Ed Bouchette: Leaving.

Anti-Professor: You, Stan, and Paul doing the post-presser show on ROOT is the best half hour (or maybe 50 minutes with Tomlin lately) on TV. Now I have a place to ROOT!

Ed Bouchette: thanks. Mike talked for 20 1/2 minutes today, a 2011 record.

Touchdown Joey: Eddy, how confident are you in Suisham? I'm iffy on him. Aside from Sunday's miss, the guy has a poor history in the clutch. His 85% regular season conversion rate plummets to just above 50% in the playoffs.

Ed Bouchette: I don't think he has an extensive playoff record so it may be unfair to pin that on him. But when a kickers misses from 41 on a beautiful September day on a 1 p.m. start with little wind, it can be worrisome to his coaches.

C. BROWN FAN: It looked to me like Curtis Brown might have thrown a punch at a Seahawk following a special teams play Sunday. Did you see that? And, if so, is a fine coming?

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, he expects a fine. I just talked to him and he said the guy shoved his head into the ground on the sideline and he responded, acknowledging that he should not have responded and that it will cost him in his paycheck.

Chooch: What's up with the replay challenges? A blind squirrel could see that Rashard was not over the goal line.

Ed Bouchette: I was surprised MT challenged that. Either he got some bad advice from his coaches in the booth, or he listened too much to one of his players who promised him Mendenhall had crossed the goal line. The replays were clear he did not.

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, I understand that Mike Tomlin wanted to keep the Seattle win in perspective, but he seemed out right testy on the clips up on Pg.com. Was that your impression?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think he's being testy, just short with his answers and maybe trying to make sure his team gets the point.

mikeflores16: McClendon looks like a nice surprise, can we expect to see him dress and be in the rotation from here on out?

Ed Bouchette: Apparently so. MT even mentioned him again today.

MiStlrFan: I read that your favorite DWTS contestant was in Hines' suite Sunday. Did you run over and get a picture with her? At least an autograph?

Ed Bouchette: No, but I did take a photo of her with someone else.

jayhawk67: Does Foster stay in the starting line-up?

Ed Bouchette: I think when Kemo's knee is ready, he goes back in. Foster, though, may be a candidate to ultimately return to RG.

Greg B. in Indy: I wasn't trying to hang out with you or come find you, just curious what a worldly outsider thought of the Circle City. So excuuuuuuuuuse me.

Ed Bouchette: Don't get huffy, there, Hoosier. What I like about Indy is the downtown; it's lively with a lot of good restaurants and stuff to do. And all of your streets run straight.

sms: How was the kickoff line moving up decided this year (CBA?)....certainly takes the possibility of a runback etc. out cold...

Ed Bouchette: That was the idea. The owners voted for the new rule to eliminate more runbacks, which they deem too dangerous.

Ed Hates Us: Ed, Is E Sanders foot doing well? No problems?

Ed Bouchette: None that I am aware of. Seems to have healed nicely after a hiccup there in training camp. His performance says nothing's wrong.

J. Stew: Freeney is known for his spin move. If his spin move comes into contact with Rashard's spin move...what happens?

Ed Bouchette: A Looney Tunes cartoon.

Guest: Did you see Tomlin kiss Polamalu before the game? They showed it on Football Night in America. Anything like that ever happen in the press box--dealt out by the DEAN of Pittsburgh football writers?

Ed Bouchette: Once saw Bill Cowher kiss Kordell Stewart on the sideline. It wasn't a big moment for either of them.

cmon jason!: Why in the WORLD did WORILDS change his jersey #? I bought his jersey last year and now it is wrong.

Ed Bouchette: Stick with the tried and true.

mikeflores16: Do you see our OL getting better at any time this season? Ben is getting killed back there..

Ed Bouchette: I can only refer you to my story in the PG this morning on that same topic.

Hamburger Jones: Ed, how much longer until we see the real James Harrison and Aaron Smith in games?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe for Aaron, it was 2008. Harrison is getting stronger, which is what he lost with the back surgery.

JerseySteel: Ed, what is it going to take to get Jonathan Scott out of the lineup at LT other then an injury?

Ed Bouchette: Someone who can play left tackle better. Apparently, the coaches have decided they don't have that someone right now.

wookie: Ed, do you like Star Wars? Did you know that they just released the classic films on Blu Ray?

Ed Bouchette: Never saw one of those movies.

Dave & Buster: Are there too many games in the guys locker room? I mean, foosball, basketball, ping pong, you name it! This is not a game. Well, it is, but I think you get my point. Have you ever played any of these games with the fellas?

Ed Bouchette: Too many games when they lose, just right number when they win. No, I don't play games, I write about them.

mikeflores16: Curtis Brown looked great on special teams, will we see more of him playing CB?

Ed Bouchette: The young corners will continue to get their chances and if the coaches deem them better than what they have, i would assume you would see them more often. But it's my experience, that if they continue to win with what they have, there will be no change.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks, all. See you next Tuesday.

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2011, 02:20 AM
:D :D

Greg B. in Indy: Hey Ed, I live in Indy and I'm just curious if there are any restaurants or other places you like to check out when you're in town?

Ed Bouchette: Yes.

Pepperjack Cheese Indy: Ed, allow me to speak for everyone in Indianapolis when I say that I am very pleased that you will be returning to our fair city this weekend. The Dean returns! Hooray!! Do you have a "favorite thing" about Indy?

Ed Bouchette: Leaving.

insanesteelersfan
09-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Sorry but Ed is, and always has been a real A-Hole! He always sounds standoffish. Like he doesn't even want to at least act nice to the fans who like him, and take the time to write him a question. I have a funny feeling that alot of the players, the current ones and the previous ones, alot of them probably don't like Ed.

flippy
09-21-2011, 05:50 AM
The only thing I regularly see from Bouchette is these chats. And he comes across as a jackarse. Not sure if it's him trying to be funny or what?

I just always get the impression he hates everything. His job, the fans, the Steelers, etc. He comes across as someone that really just doesn't enjoy what he does.

ramblinjim
09-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Insane - Flip; I'm with you guys. There's a piece of me that thinks this is all kind of his schtick as the grumpy old man. I mean, assuming he wanted to be a sports writer, he's got his dream job, in a very good sports town and you have to assume he makes really good money. What's to be such an old fart about all the time?

Shawn
09-21-2011, 07:25 AM
People with that dry wit thing going on tend to be seen as being a jerk. He might very well be, but I tend to like to give people the credit of the doubt...especially people I haven't met.

ramblinjim
09-21-2011, 07:29 AM
People with that dry wit thing going on tend to be seen as being a jerk. He might very well be, but I tend to like to give people the credit of the doubt...especially people I haven't met.

Very true. And I'm not a Pittsburgher so I've never ran into him say at a restaurant or chili festival, heard him on the radio, watched him on TV, etc...

flippy
09-21-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm all for giving him the benefit of the doubt. Just saying he comes across a little obnoxious/not nice in the stuff I read.

I'm sure it's got to be an attempt to be funny and he's probably an ok guy and all. I mean he seems to have a dream job and it's probably a hard job to work your way into. So the guy must have some redeeming qualities.

I'm just looking at it from the fan perspective and if I took the time to chat with the guy and got some of the responses he gives, I'd feel bummed.

Ghost
09-21-2011, 08:05 AM
I agree with Flippy. It comes across as him hating his job and having to do a quick chat with fans is worse than a root canal. There's dry wit, even sarcasm and then there's being a giant douche. Ed is in that last category all the time.

As a contrast read Gerry Dulac's chats. Great info, appears to be enjoying himself, a solid rapport with the fans. It's actually pleasant to read.

steelblood
09-21-2011, 09:10 AM
He is an a$$ to people. Some of it is very funny. But, my real problem with Ed is that he gives us so little information about the team. Most of what he says is a rehash of Tomlin's PC. He is not insightful and has been known (especially lately) to put out some bad information when he actually says something. Ed is more than a reporter. He is a sports writer. He is supposed to have a developed understanding of this game and this team. If he doesn't, why does the PG keep rolling him out? Dave Lolley may not have Ed's clout, but he is ten times more insightful and interesting to read. Ed's chats are 98% filler and his articles are usually rehashes of what he has heard and demonstrate his lack of a deep understanding of the game.

Shawn
09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Just for the record, it's not my intent to make someone feel bad about their opinion. Bouchette does come across (at least on paper) as being at the very least abrasive. I mention dry wit because I have met some really great people who would look really nasty on paper. I'm thinking of one guy I know in particular who has been known to hurt some feelings with his sense of humor. But, in my book after knowing him, knowing his heart for people, and knowing his actions he is ok in my book.

Pahn711
09-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I think you guys are way off base here. The bottom line is, he is mostly asked questions that are either common sense or that he really does not have the inside info to answer. I mean, hes not a coach, how does he know when a player will get benched in favor of a younger guy or why they keep certain older players. So he answers without really answering, and tries to be in good humor about it.

I never expect to get much real insight from his chats, but they can be fun.

hawaiiansteel
10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 10.4.11

TUESDAY, 04 OCTOBER 2011 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, let's begin.

Ellie Mae: Good afternoon Mr. Bouchette. Any update from the Steelers on Mendenhall's injury? Will the injury force Mr. Tomlin to finally give the ball to Redman and Moore. Didn't the second half of the Houston game demonstrate to the coaching staff that rushing yards can be achieved if a running back hits the hole quickly and aggressively?

Ed Bouchette: Mendy has a hamstring injury. Mike Tomlin said he will have to gauge how he does this week to see if he starts or Isaac Redman does. I would agree with you on the second half of Sunday's game.

WheresWoodley?: Ed, is it too early to start talking draft?

Ed Bouchette: Yes. See me in January.

Tship: ED, thanks for another chat. WIth Harrison out does Timmons go to his spot and Foote starts or do we see Carter at outside backer?

Ed Bouchette: Timmons and Foote, as you said. Worilds would have started but he's hurt too.

Mike: Are you intrigued to see Timmons in the position he was originally drafted to play?

Ed Bouchette: Not really and I don't think OLB was his original position to play here. They talked about him playing inside since the day they drafted him, although they did say he could play outside as well. And, so he has.

Taz: Hi Ed. A few years ago, Bill Cowher mentioned he had changed his mind from thinking a veteran should always get his spot back following recovery from injury to thinking that it as appropriate in some circumstances for a younger player to prove himself and establish himself as a starter. The Steelers have a lot of injuries. What is Mike Tomlin's perspective on the matter, and, as applicable, who are the leading candidates to supplant incumbents?

Ed Bouchette: Bryant McFadden may return to find out he's lost his starting job.

Nate: Ed, whenever someone writes you criticizing the o-line, you always say they went to the super bowl with this line. Well here we are, a year past the super bowl with pretty much the same exact players on the line. Are you ready to agree that they are horrible and Ben may die on the field this year?

Ed Bouchette: Die may be too strong a word. Crippled, maybe.

Guest: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you said in a previous chat that the Steeler defensive ends assignments were such that they did not generate a pass rush by design. If that's the case, isn't it time to change that as the Steelers have no pass rush?

Ed Bouchette: No, it's not the scheme.

WheresWoodley?: Ed, Is Warren Sapp right? Is it really old, slow and over? I am starting to be a believer

Ed Bouchette: You might want to check the ages on Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley and Ziggy Hood.

mikeflores16: Who becomes the first OLB off the bench this week?3

Ed Bouchette: Looks like it'll have to be rookie Chris Carter.

Guest: What's wrong with Jason Worilds?

Ed Bouchette: Quad, or thigh strain

Steel Curtain Rising: With the Harrison injury, any chance that the Steelers start tinkering with a 4-3 alignment?

Ed Bouchette: No.

Jason: Has anyone asked Tomlin if he addressed the inside the 10 yd line fair catches that seem to be becoming a habit for Antonio? Also can we go back to '05 when Farrior and Foote weren't the 2 slowest ILB in the game. Could be a big day for C.J and the Tenn TE.

Ed Bouchette: MT said with the "rugby" type of kicks, if you let the ball bounce, it often will bounce backward.

Bubs: Will Ziggy Hood be named full time starter on the DL with the injury to A. Smith? He was a great Steeler, but he clearly cannot hang any more. And I'm starting to feel the same about Farrior. Can Sylvester play other than special teams?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know that you need to name anyone a fulltime starter if someone is hurt. And I don't know that Ziggy has played any better than Aaron. Stevenson Sylvester can play, but until we see him on a regular basis, we won't know how well.

Dude_From_Cali: Worilds was in barely a half of a game and he's hurt. man... come on.

Ed Bouchette: The nerve of the man.

t: hey ed, how much do you agree w/ tomlin that it's an issue of fundamentals? does he really believe that or is that the line he's using?

Ed Bouchette: I think he believes it. Players have mentioned it as well. They're not tackling as well and they're not staying in their "gaps,'' or responsibilities and that opens things up for an offense.

Tship: Starting D-line this week Ziggy, Hampton, and Heyward?

Ed Bouchette: Quite possibly, yes.

WheresWoodley?: Ed, in your expert opinion does Ben play or not this week?

Ed Bouchette: I was a bit surprised that MT said he likely would "participate" because he could have kept the Titans at least guessing much of the week and generally coaches love to keep the other guys guessing. I'd say he's going to play.

Fred: Seems like Keenan Lewis has played well? Do you agree?

Ed Bouchette: yes, I do. He made a nice play on third down knocking the ball away from a receiver along the sideline Sunday.

Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, you've mentioned that the Steelers might need to activate Clay for the practice squad. If that happens who goes on IR or the waiver wire?

Ed Bouchette: That would be FROM the practice squad, to be clear. they could cut someone for the weekend as they've done many times in the past -- Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch come to mind -- and re-sign him on Monday or Tuesday. I would say someone who won't play, such as Mewelde Moore.

mikeflores16: Funny how quickly people get negative on this site. Given all of that, what do you think is the key to getting the ship straightened out in the next few weeks?

Ed Bouchette: Run the ball a little more on offense with Redman up the middle to take the pressure off the QB, throw a few quicker passes and not go for the lightning strike and tighten up the play on defense by not having players looking for an ESPN moment.

Jim: Call me crazy but I still see the Steelers as contenders to lead the AFC in the Super Bowl. Am I crazy?

Ed Bouchette: You're crazy like a fan. They're schedule certainly gives them a chance.

Sweet Suzie: Why no screen passes?

Ed Bouchette: Funny, I've been hearing that question for years, make that decades. Screen passes are not the answer to what ails this offense.

Jason: Ed, you predicted a W vs Tenn in your pre season picks. Still feel the same?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, just not as strongly. I am 3-1 in my picks by the way, missing only on the opener in Baltimore.

NoEmotionTomlin: Ed, is Carter ahead of Sylvester for LB? And will we ever see Tomlin show emotion on the sideline when players receive a bonehead 15-yard penalty for taunting?

Ed Bouchette: You have seen him do that in the past. I would say Carter first on the outside after Timmons.

Fran: What's wrong with the Steelers' pass defense?

Ed Bouchette: Ummm, I think they are No. 1 in the league in pass defense, which makes that stat meaningless by the way. They have generated little pass rush and only one turnover. Those are the main problems.

Guest: Is Jonathan Scott and Legursky playing on Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: I believe MT said today they will if healthy.

Jiggy: Ed, if Ben can't play does Batch get the nod? Or Dixon?

Ed Bouchette: Charlie Batch.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks all. See you next Tuesday.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ript-10411 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/112276-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-10411)

steelblood
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
It always seems that when someone asks Ed a good question, he gets cute or stops short of providing any insight. I always imagine that he is bored with his job.

NJ-STEELER
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
rugby kick or not.
fAir catching a punt on the 5 is still a no no IMO.

make the punting team make a play and down the ball. what's the worst case here? we lose 4 yards and we start at the 1 yard line and not the 5? is there really much difference?
compared to the 20 if the ball bounces alittle bit our way and its a touchback

Pahn711
10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
rugby kick or not.

make the punting team make a play and down the ball. what's the worst case here? we lose 4 yards and we start at the 1 yard line and not the 5? is there really much difference?

I believe their punting team did exactly that, make a big play on the Steelers last or second to last drive of the game. Didn't the Steelers end up starting a drive on the 2 or something? The Texans obviously have a quality punter. When your o-line is very very capable of giving up a safety, I do think those few yards make a difference.

steelfin
10-04-2011, 10:01 PM
While A Brown may fair catch a few inside the 10...He is been quite productive with punt return duties...

Not saying he can't improve, but he doesn't fumble and usually provides us with positive yardage on returns...

NJ-STEELER
10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
rugby kick or not.

I believe their punting team did exactly that, make a big play on the Steelers last or second to last drive of the game. Didn't the Steelers end up starting a drive on the 2 or something? The Texans obviously have a quality punter. When your o-line is very very capable of giving up a safety, I do think those few yards make a difference.

IIRC the gunners were much further away on the fair catch. AB could have decoyed or become a blocker to further the chance for a touchback.

they did down it right inside the 1 on their last punt. and they were lucky to get it. what are the vchances they have done that a 2nd time.

i do see ur point on the safety issue though. at the 10 yard line, i dont have a problem with the fair catch

pfelix73
10-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Which one of those questions that were asked was a good question? Seems to me that every question asked of him is a waste. People can get some of those answers on their own before they even ask the freaking ?. And actually, some of them aren't even questions- just statements.....No wonder Ed is bored...

:tt1

steelz09
10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Ed is a tool.. his chats come across rude and provides zero insight.

Pahn711
10-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Which one of those questions that were asked was a good question? Seems to me that every question asked of him is a waste. People can get some of those answers on their own before they even ask the freaking ?. And actually, some of them aren't even questions- just statements.....No wonder Ed is bored...

:tt1

:Agree :tt1 Who can blame Ed for trying to lighten things up and make it entertaining, even if he does fail. Any really good questions can usually only be answered by the Steelers coaches themselves. Remember, Bouchette is just a member of the media.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
It always seems that when someone asks Ed a good question, he gets cute or stops short of providing any insight. I always imagine that he is bored with his job.

I've always seen him the opposite way. He gets short when people ask him off topic or rhetorical questions, but he answers the straight forward football questions as best as he can.

Djfan
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Ed is a tool.. his chats come across rude and provides zero insight.

Yeah. I agree. So what that these questions aren't as impressive as they would be if it were a planetsteelers.com chat. Most fans don't have anywhere near the drive or insight or whatever that us junkies do. The man needs to respect that this is where his audience is at, and just deal with it.

Everytime I read his stuff I get less and less impressed.

RuthlessBurgher
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Some people just don't respect their audience (and look like douches in the process).

I've seen tools like Bouchette and Mark Madden in Pittsburgh, and I have no desire whatsoever to want to go up and talk to them (which is probably how they want it...they have no desire to deal with us peons).

On the other hand, there are folks like Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio who have a great rapport with their callers, and are therefore beloved by them.

If I saw Tim and Pat, though, I would want to approach them and talk ball (and from listening to their Moving the Chains show, they have numerous get-together with fans at the Senior Bowl, training camp tours, etc.).

I have approached a few members of the media in Pittsburgh that I like (such as Craig Wolfley, who always seems to have a happy-go-lucky attitude) and he was a nice, accommodating fellow. I saw Mike Lange and Phil Bourque at a Pens' practice, and they were gracious to fans (although I didn't go up to them myself, because they had some broadcasting duties on Penguins radio following a team scrimmage that day).

Jigawatts
10-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Some people just don't respect their audience (and look like douches in the process).

I've seen tools like Bouchette and Mark Madden in Pittsburgh, and I have no desire whatsoever to want to go up and talk to them (which is probably how they want it...they have no desire to deal with us peons).

On the other hand, there are folks like Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio who have a great rapport with their callers, and are therefore beloved by them.

If I saw Tim and Pat, though, I would want to approach them and talk ball (and from listening to their Moving the Chains show, they have numerous get-together with fans at the Senior Bowl, training camp tours, etc.).

I have approached a few members of the media in Pittsburgh that I like (such as Craig Wolfley, who always seems to have a happy-go-lucky attitude) and he was a nice, accommodating fellow. I saw Mike Lange and Phil Bourque at a Pens' practice, and they were gracious to fans (although I didn't go up to them myself, because they had some broadcasting duties on Penguins radio following a team scrimmage that day).

I approached Stan Savran and he kneed me in the groin.