PDA

View Full Version : Be the OC - What play would you add & which one to scrap?

Steel Life
09-21-2011, 12:42 AM
With all of us being armchair coaches & GM's (& geniuses to boot :wink: ) I thought it'd interesting to see the kind of plays each of us would run & which we would rip out of the playbook. Now I know we'll see some answers about ditching the entire thing, personnel changes & other assorted things, but let's try to keep it simple - especially with the lingo. So despite wanting to see Ben roll out more, or more passes for Heath, or that beautiful WR reverse pass ARE ran so well, for me what I'd like to see is...

ADD: Pony Backfield, Fake Pitch Middle Trap
Why: I'd love to see the return of the Pony backfield, & with Mendy's speed, Redman's power & Pouncey in the middle, I would think this play would be a winner for the team.

SCRAP: WR Screen
Why: Basically I'd ditch any play with the word "screen" in it. Whether if its because Ben doesn't have a quick delivery or with our small WRs it can't get the blocking it needs, we never seem to run it well & when we do it, it almost seems like we essentially are giving away a play. Whenever we get positive yards with it, I'm surprised. Then again, it could be that I'm tired of seeing BA run it 4-5 times a game.

So there you go, let's see what all us geniuses can come up with...

JDSteeler
09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
SCRAP: The RUTFM!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

Djfan
09-21-2011, 01:26 AM
ADD:

1) Delay RB to the flat, toss it to him
2) Play action
3) Quick slant in the slot
4) Quick 15+ rainbow to Wallace's side
5) Delay to HEEEEEAAAAATHHHH!!!!!

REMOVE:

Predictable stupid calls.

insanesteelersfan
09-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Only play I would like to see us run less, if not at all is the bunched-up Power-I formation on 3rd and short. We no longer have a powerful Driving Line, and that formation is basically telling the defense what you are going to do.

As for a play I would like to see more ?.....Probably more 2-TE, 2-WR and our RB in on 1st downs, and have the defense try to guess if we are gonna run a quick trapping run play with the 2 TE's run blocking, or a fake handoff to the RB and try to hit either one of Miller or Saunders, both at 6ft, 5 on a quick outlet pattern...Hard for opposing defenses to cover such huge targets. That formation would also allow us to have Mike Wallace see if he can break away deep if the Safety Bites on the run fake.

I just think that formation on 1st down gives us alot of options.

flippy
09-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Add quick developing passing plays with a 3 step drop. ie play calls that negate the pass rush.

Eliminate - WR screens that go nowhere

anger 82&95
09-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Additional plays designed specifically for H. Miller.

ramblinjim
09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
this so goes against my grain but..........

I'd like to see a four wide receiver set, Ben in the shot gun with Mendy beside him. We have dominant outside speed, an excellent slot guy in Ward (or three WR set and Heath in the middle) and a running back with great speed, that can catch the football.

I'd like to be rid of the wide receive screen or running the ball towards Jon Scott.

Steelers>NFL
09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Add:
More QB rollouts (similar to A. Rogers). Ben CAN throw on the run.
More play actions.
More pump fake. Ben seems to have really cut down on this.
Add fullback & the I formation.
More quick snaps (see below).

Remove:
One man backfield on 3rd & short.
Obvious, simple play calling.
Quit letting the play clock go down under 3 seconds before the ball is snapped.
This is why the other team never gets called off side. Too predictable...

steelblood
09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Remove: QB hunch and drop to stationary RB Draw Play (Yuck!)

Add: More plays that involve multiple WR sets involving Wallace, Brown, and Sanders. Use their quickness on underneath routes to quickly get open and their speed to back the safeties off for the underneath stuff. The fourth receiver in these sets can be Heath or Saunders. RB - Redman/Mendy. When the D is finally on their heals we dump the ball to Redman or allow him to run it down their throats.

drprwnap
09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Scrap- the goal line formation. Put in three WR (one in the slot), spread out the defense and run a trap. WR screens

Add- more no huddle, more play action (assuming our running game is effective), more touches for Redman

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Delete: WR screen to Hines. I don't mind when it goes to Wallace or another of the jittertbug kids because they make yards out of it with their speed and escapability. Hines does not have the explosiveness to make the D miss once they have that kind of beat on him.

Delete: Bunch formation with everyone in tight. All you are doing is bringing the D in closer and giving them more options to rush the QB.

Add: Fake handoff to the up back and pitch out wide to Mendy. A good pitch will hit Mendy in stride and hopefully in space instead of putting on his dancing shoes behind 21 other players at the LOS.

phillyesq
09-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Delete: WR screen to Hines. I don't mind when it goes to Wallace or another of the jittertbug kids because they make yards out of it with their speed and escapability. Hines does not have the explosiveness to make the D miss once they have that kind of beat on him.

Add: Fake handoff to the up back and pitch out wide to Mendy. A good pitch will hit Mendy in stride and hopefully in space instead of putting on his dancing shoes behind 21 other players at the LOS.

I like both of these suggestions, but I'm ok with the bunch formation. I like the WR screen to Wallace, Sanders or Brown.

I would like to see more formations that include both Redman and Mendenhall. Redman is actually a pretty good blocker, giving you the option of a toss or sweep with Redman leading the way or running inside with Redman.

I'd eliminate any formation that sends Mendenhall in motion and leaves an empty backfield. I don't care for that at all.

RuthlessBurgher
09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Add to our offense: More plays that result in touchdowns scored.
Add to our defense: More plays that result in takeaways.

Delete from our offense: Less plays that result in giveaways.
Delete from our defense: Less plays that result in touchdowns allowed.

Simple enough. I'll give you more specifics about which plays were good calls and which plays were bad calls after the fact using my keen powers of 20/20 hindsight.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6p0eLK99k5o/TW1kiP66fyI/AAAAAAAAALA/NY4fzRDjv7w/captain+hindsight.jpg

:tt2 :tt1

proudpittsburgher
09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Play to Add: As much as I don't like the play, I think the delay draw is going to be key in getting the outside pass rushers off of Ben's arse every play. That pass rush is their only chance and once we bust them for 15 or more on a few of those draws, they will pull back.

Play to get rid of: Any straight 5 or 7 step dropbacks. If Ben isn't play-faking, he's in trouble. Freeney and Mathis will be selling out on the passrush.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Now if only we could get BA to read this thread...

Chavezz
09-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Delete: Bunch formation with everyone in tight. All you are doing is bringing the D in closer and giving them more options to rush the QB.

Love the add, I was getting ready to put that down myself. We used to run it with a lot of success. I'd take my chances with Mendy either getting to the corner or putting himself one on one with a LB'er.

frankthetank1
09-24-2011, 02:28 PM
it is so blatant that the wr screen to hines should never be called. everyone on this board thinks the same on that topic. its sad because i would bet anything tomorrow night we will see a screen pass to hines :roll:

hawaiiansteel
09-24-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd scrap the following plays from Arians' playbook and would use a true FB in short yardage situations:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/XxKnightxX213/arians1.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/XxKnightxX213/arians.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/XxKnightxX213/arians2.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/XxKnightxX213/arians3.jpg