PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Need to Make 3 Changes Heading into Indianapolis

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Steelers Need to Make 3 Changes Heading into Indianapolis

September 19th, 2011

The Steelers played one of the worst teams in the NFL last week and got the ball rolling. The changes this week really worked. The change on the offensive line made a huge difference. Of course, it was Seattle not Baltimore, but they still looked so much better. McFadden not on the field was a big deal for us, and even William Gay made some plays.

Now, they head into Indianapolis who also is one of the worst teams in the league with Peyton Manning out for what should be the year. The Steelers have another chance to make some minor changes. Here are a couple of ideas heading into Indy:

One more offensive line move but one less rotation – The Steelers replaced Willie Colon with Marcus Gilbert which was a move they would not have made if Colon did not get hurt. It paid off big time for the team. Gilbert showed he had a bright future. That being said, I would not move Gilbert from Right Tackle ever. I had him projected as a Right Tackle not a Left Tackle. He looks more comfortable in that position. Keep him there and worry about Left Tackle in the draft. There are many guys out there. That would be my one less rotation. Keep him where he is strong. Now as for the move, Ramon Foster played great. We looked weak against Baltimore in 4 spots on the offensive line.

Against Seattle, Left Tackle and Right Guard were weak. Here is my idea: leave Ramon Foster at Left Guard and move Chris Kemoeatu to Right Guard. We were so weak on the left side in week 1, because Kemo is not smart enough to move around and Scott just sucks. Kemo is a great road grader. He is not intelligent. At right guard in the Steelers offense, you do not have to be intelligent. Just block forward, make holes for the run, and do not get Ben Roethlisberger killed. Keep the two bad players protected by better players around them as opposed to them struggling together.

My Offensive Line for Week 3 is:

LT- Jonathan Scott
LG- Ramon Foster
C- Maurkice Pouncey
RG- Chris Kemoeatu
RT- Marcus Gilbert

Keep McFadden off the field – McFadden should be ready to play this week. I would not let him. Our defense looked so much better this weekend. We gave up no points, got 5 sacks, and did not give up any big plays. Most of the big passing plays versus Baltimore were on McFadden. He was beat for the touchdown by Boldin and was beat all over the field by the Ravens Tight Ends. At least Gay put some pressure on the receivers. Even as bad as Indianapolis looks, they still have four above average receivers. Ike should be taking away Reggie Wayne, but that still leaves Clark, Garcon and Collie. If the Colts want to spread us out, they can. McFadden will not be able to cover any of these guys.

Keep Lewis on the outside versus whoever lines up out there. If McFadden touches the field at all, he should be on the inside covering the slot receiver. Collins is a statue so our pass rush may save these guys, but this is a bad match up for our defensive backs.

Leave the guys in who played against Seattle.

Bring in Jason Worilds on third down for Farrior and Foote – This move could give us an even more scary defense. Foote and Farrior cannot cover down field. The entire world knows it. If they are in on third down, they are coming on the blitz. It is easy to see when watching the game. Timmons, who is our best pass rusher, is in coverage every third down, because the team cannot leave Farrior or Foote out there to do it. If that is the case and we know they are going to blitz due to their skill set, why not put in Worilds? He is a better pass rusher than both of these guys. If someone has to blitz on every play, then let it be him. We know he is not going to start, and James Harrison is not coming out so why not put him in the nickel package in practice? Let him learn specific plays and put him in when we go to sub packages. He only has to learn half of what he would have to learn as a regular linebacker. Worilds is also able to cover if need be. This would give all four linebackers the ability to blitz and our four best blitzers would be on the field at one time. I cannot find a reason in my mind for this not to happen. It just makes us better. Hell, put Worilds on the outside and let Harrison roam around the field and come from anywhere. Let him play middle linebacker in this package. It would make us more potent, and it just makes sense.

I think these slight changes would drive us to even bigger heights. We saw what youth did for us this week. Let’s see what a little bit more each week can do in the future.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/ ... ianapolis/ (http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/09/19/steelers-need-to-make-3-changes-heading-into-indianapolis/)

Slapstick
09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I like the idea of putting Harrison at ILB on passing downs...I do have more confidence in him covering than I do Foote or Farrior...also, it would give Worilds an opportunity to show what he can do...Harrison is on the field anyway, so let him have a go at blitzing from the middle...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Some good ideas thrown out in this article. I would add:

*Use Heath Miller more as a receiver. I think he was thrown to twice vs. the Seahags.
Not near enough use of one of the best weapons we have.

*Give the ball to Redman, not Mendy, in goal line situations. Maybe Redman wouldn't do any better, but he couldn't do much worse...and I don't think he'd be dancing and tiptoeing around back there.

Do I think the Steelers will actually implement any of these changes (either the ones suggested above or in the article)? No. Not unless we go to 1-3 or 1-4, and nobody wants to see that.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I like the idea of putting Harrison at ILB on passing downs...I do have more confidence in him covering than I do Foote or Farrior...also, it would give Worilds an opportunity to show what he can do...Harrison is on the field anyway, so let him have a go at blitzing from the middle...

In the past, Greg Lloyd has moved inside on passing down sub-packages (and Joey Porter did this for a while as well).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-20-2011, 09:26 AM
*Give the ball to Redman, not Mendy, in goal line situations. Maybe Redman wouldn't do any better, but he couldn't do much worse...and I don't think he'd be dancing and tiptoeing around back there.

Agreed. When there is only a yard to gain, there is no time to dance around waiting for the best hole to open up. You find where you want to go and just barrel ahead.

NorCal-Steeler
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
i say pound the ball this week and let the colts play from behind.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
i say pound the ball this week and let the colts play from behind.

I suspect the Steelers WILL try to implement this strategy...

phillyesq
09-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Some good ideas in this article, and some I don't care for as much.

Continuity is big on the offensive line. When he comes back, plug in Kemo at LG and Foster at RG. No need to keep shuffling players, and having Kemo next to a rookie could be a recipe for disaster.

I'd be fine with Worilds seeing more time in pass rush situations. I don't like Foote in coverage at all, but I'm not as down on Farrior. With Woodley, Harrison, Worilds and Timmons, you can do a lot of different things, including lining up Harrison and Woodley on the same side or something of that nature.

aggiebones
09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I hate the way they try Mendy on 1st and 2nd short yardage and then last hope try Redman on 3rd.
Try Redman on First and second and I guarantee he will get in 50% of the time at worst.

It seems they don't want to take away Mendy's confidence. You don't bang McFadden's head into the wall either. Use a guy's talent where it needs to be.

insanesteelersfan
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM
[quote="BradshawsHairdresser"]Some good ideas thrown out in this article. I would add:

*Use Heath Miller more as a receiver. I think he was thrown to twice vs. the Seahags.
Not near enough use of one of the best weapons we have.

Normally I would agree with you. But the probelm is that we MUST have Miller at the Line to help Block on passing plays cause Gilbert couldn't stop a 14 year old 110 Lb Catholic School girl from getting by him....and THAT is the truth!!

Jooser
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Agreed. When there is only a yard to gain, there is no time to dance around waiting for the best hole to open up. You find where you want to go and just barrel ahead.

I agree that Redman is the a better inside runner, as far as straight ahead strength. The problem is that no matter who the back is, they're getting nailed in the backfield before they can build up any steam. So, IMO, if BA insists on RUTFM on the GL, then Redman is better suited. But, Mendy is the the better overall back with more speed. If BA insists on using Mendy here, then let him try to get to the edge, that's HIS strength as a runner. It seems we have the wrong personel aligned with the scheme of the whole thing.

Stewie
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM

I agree that Redman is the a better inside runner, as far as straight ahead strength. The problem is that no matter who the back is, they're getting nailed in the backfield before they can build up any steam. So, IMO, if BA insists on RUTFM on the GL, then Redman is better suited. But, Mendy is the the better overall back with more speed. If BA insists on using Mendy here, then let him try to get to the edge, that's HIS strength as a runner. It seems we have the wrong personel aligned with the scheme of the whole thing.

If we are going to run, on 1st and goal, it DEFINITELY s/b Redman. I don't like the idea of Mendy wide. What you want to avoid in that sitcheation is a loss, and running wide will do that as often as not. What I would like to see on either 1st or 2nd down is fake the run and throw.