PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger OK, but Steelers line needs work

fordfixer
09-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Roethlisberger OK, but Steelers line needs work

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1560 ... needs-work (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15607226/roethlisberger-ok-but-steelers-line-needs-work)

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Ben Roethlisberger's advice to right tackle Marcus Gilbert shortly before the rookie made the first start of his career on Sunday against Seattle was simple and direct.

"I said, 'Let the game come to you, don't go to it," Roethlisberger said.

Gilbert may have followed Roethlisberger's words of wisdom a little too closely in Pittsburgh's 24-0 romp over the Seahawks. The second-round pick out of Florida found himself on his heels twice while dropping back into pass protection.

The first resulted in a Roethlisberger sack in the first quarter that helped snuff out an early Pittsburgh drive. The other sent a shiver through the entire franchise.

With the ball at the Seattle 20 late in the first half, Gilbert shuffled back as Roethlisberger lined up in the shotgun and looked downfield. Seattle defensive end Raheem Brock spun around Gilbert and dived at the quarterback's legs just after Roethlisberger released the ball, a 16-yard completion to tight end Heath Miller.

The play drew a flag for unnecessary roughness on Brock and sent Roethlisberger crumpling to the ground. He only ended up only missing two plays, but the near-miss was an eye opener for Gilbert.

"It was a miscommunication," Gilbert said. "It was the dude on my side. (Ben) had the ball out but (Brock) came on and hit his knee. You can't really do anything about that."

Still, Gilbert hadn't quite shaken the moment on Monday, telling teammate Ramon Foster how badly he felt.

"I told him, 'I got (Ben's) nose broken last year,"' said Foster, who started at left guard in place of injured Chris Kemoeatu. "It's just one of those things, don't let it happen again. I think he'll learn from it."

Though Roethlisberger praised Gilbert's play - saying he felt Gilbert "did a great job" - and coach Mike Tomlin was impressed with the production while running to Gilbert's side, the youngster's busy first day on the job was symptomatic of a unit that remains a work in progress.

Roethlisberger was only sacked twice, but too a series of shots, not all of them because of his tendency to hold onto the ball even as the pocket collapses around him.

One of the hits came on a quick screen, a play that requires Roethlisberger to get rid of the ball the instant he gets the snap.

"It was kind of crazy," Roethlisberger said. "I have never thrown a speed screen to a wide receiver and got hit below the knees. I'll be fine and we'll get through it."

And hopefully get through it upright.

The Steelers (1-1) travel to reeling Indianapolis (0-2) next week and while the Colts won't have injured quarterback Peyton Manning, they do have elite pass rushers Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Running the ball would help take some of the pressure off, but the Steelers haven't exactly lit it up on the ground. They abandoned the run in the season opener against Baltimore after falling behind and had similar trouble against the Seahawks, running for only 16 times for 30 yards in the second half, forcing them to rely on Roethlisberger's arm to run out the clock.

"I thought we had some movement there in the first half, running the football on (Gilbert's) side," Tomlin said. "I thought we could have run the ball better in the second half. We all bear the responsibility for that."

Gilbert's performance, however, was likely enough to earn another shot. The Steelers opted to give him the first crack at replacing injured veteran Willie Colon rather than pursue a free agent. He wasn't perfect, but then again neither was the rest of the line.

The Steelers scored just two touchdowns on four possessions when they got the ball inside the Seattle 5. The Seahawks stuffed Rashard Mendenhall on fourth down in the first quarter and made Pittsburgh settle for a Shaun Suisham field goal at the end of the first half right after Roethlisberger went down.

"It's just one of those things where we've got to cover our man up front and make some gaps for Rashard and those guys in those situations," Foster said.

Roethlisberger grew impatient in the third quarter, audibling out of a run at the Seattle 2 in the third quarter and lobbing a pass to Mike Wallace for a touchdown instead.

"Ben just made a play like he always does," Foster said.

And the Steelers won their home opener, like they always do. Roethlisberger's knee will be OK, though the scare provided a teaching moment for Gilbert and his linemates.

"Keep (Roethlisberger) up and he'll make plays," Gilbert said. "Ben is going to hold the ball as long as he can to find and make plays. It's great to have a quarterback like that who is pretty tough."

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2011, 03:37 AM
On The Steelers: Keeping Big Ben upright is critical

Season could hinge on running game, protecting the QB

Tuesday, September 20, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1324491/37804298E.jpg

This time, Ben Roethlisberger walked off the field and missed only two plays after he was hit low and late by Seattle defensive end Raheem Brock.

What if he does not get up the next time? If that happens -- and the odds seem to rise with every change in their offensive line -- the Steelers could look a lot like the team they play Sunday, the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts went from Super Bowl contenders to losing at home to the Cleveland Browns without Peyton Manning. With Manning in the lineup, the Colts would be favored against the Steelers and not double-digit underdogs.

The Steelers would like to think they have more going for them without Roethlisberger than the Colts without Manning, such as a defense, and they did show some of that last season when they began 3-1 without their starting quarterback. However, what if that were Charlie Batch, 36, taking the pounding instead of the bigger, stronger and younger Roethlisberger?

The Steelers bounced back Sunday to beat the Seattle Seahawks, 24-0, but there is little evidence their offensive line provided the impetus. Roethlisberger completed 22 of 30 passes for 298 yards and no interceptions, but he was sacked twice and forced to run out of the pocket on five other occasions. On the play in which he was hurt, he had completed a pass to Heath Miller.

The total is now six sacks over two games, about average for Roethlisberger, but he also threw three interceptions in Baltimore and lost two fumbles when he was sacked.

Then there is the case of their running game. The line got no push off the ball at the goal line Sunday and, in fact, was pushed backward. Rashard Mendenhall had no chance on two runs from the 1 on the first series. He had no chance and lost a yard on first down at the 2 in the second quarter.

The Steelers managed 124 yards rushing on 35 carries, or an average of 3.5 yards per carry. In two games, they have a 3.7-yard average on 95 yards per game.

Notice, Art Rooney II hasn't said this team needs to run the ball more. In two games, they haven't shown they can.

So, the offense and perhaps the season will hinge on No. 7 and his ability to stay upright, which decreases if they cannot put together a good running game. At 29, he can still get around a little but not the same as when he was 23. He could use more protection, not less.

Of course, you won't get Roethlisberger to complain about his offensive line, many of whom were groomsmen in his wedding.

"I'm really just proud of the way the guys stepped up and played especially on the O-line," Roethlisberger said. "Marcus Gilbert, what a job he did, and Ramon Foster, I'm just happy with the way we bounced back and got the win."

Gilbert, who did allow one sack in his first start at right tackle, is the permanent replacement for Willie Colon, out with a season-ending triceps tear. Foster, who was the starter at right guard for a time last season, made his first start at left guard because Chris Kemoeatu's knee did not heal well enough. It wasn't just those changes, however, that led to a performance unequal to the 24-0 score.

Roethlisberger did say this of the team's inability to score touchdowns on those two series that began at the Seahawks 1 and the 2:

"I am still very disappointed, we take pride in short yardage and goal line. I don't know what our percentage was, but I don't think it was very good with converting touchdowns. I know our line takes pride in that and they will really kick themselves for that. I thought we could have scored a lot more points than we did."

Maybe this line just needs more time together. Sunday, the only player on that line who started there to open the 2010 season was center Maurkice Pouncey, a rookie last season.

Speedy delivery

Roethlisberger said he has not worked on delivering the ball quicker, but it looked that way Sunday.

Maybe some of it was due to those quick slants to the young wide receivers who are turning them into big gainers, such as Emmanuel Sanders' 30-yard gain on a short pass on the first drive.

The one Roethlisberger delivered most quickly fell incomplete when he zipped one over the middle to Hines Ward in the end zone on third down from the 2.

"It felt like it got out a little quicker, no particular reason," Roethlisberger said of his pass release in general against Seattle.

It also may have to do with avoiding another heavy pass rush.

"I felt like they did a good job of their ends rushing real wide," Roethlisberger said, "and me stepping up and then their big defensive line just giving a push. I just tried to take what was there and tried to balance it and still take shots down the field."

Roethlisberger became the fourth-fastest quarterback to reach 70 victories in the NFL's Super Bowl era. It took him just 100 games. The only three who got their faster were Roger Staubach and Tom Brady at 94 games each, and Ken Stabler at 98 games.

On the receiving end

• Mike Wallace not only had a big day, he quickly has become one of the best receivers in the NFL. He led the league with an average of 19.4 yards per catch as a rookie and followed last season with a 21.0 average, tops in the AFC.

Sunday, he had his fifth consecutive 100-yard regular-season game and now has 233 yards after two games. Two more 100-yard games and he will tie Hall of Famer Lynn Swann and Plaxico Burress for fourth most in Steelers history.

Wallace said in training camp that his goal was 2,000 yards receiving, which would set the NFL record. He also said if he set that goal and didn't equal it, that 1,700 would not be bad.

He's on an early pace for 1,864 yards, and that might be good enough. The NFL record is 1,848, set by Jerry Rice in 1995.

• Hines Ward holds the Steelers career record with 34 100-yard games, and he's closing in on a few other milestones. He needs 33 yards receiving to surpass Don Maynard, who is in 20th place in NFL history with 11,834 career yards.

Last week, lost amidst the carnage in Baltimore, Ward broke out of a tie with Randy Moss and now owns eighth place in career receptions with 963, which of course leaves him 37 short of his goal of 1,000. Isaac Bruce finished with 1,024 so it's possible Ward could finish this season seventh in receptions in NFL history.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11263/11 ... z1YT5o0lzT (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11263/1176040-66-0.stm#ixzz1YT5o0lzT)

Eich
09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
How is it that every year, Brady seems to have a rock solid line - and every year, we seem to have chaos along ours? Year in and year out, it always seems to be our weakest link.

Djfan
09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
How is it that every year, Brady seems to have a rock solid line - and every year, we seem to have chaos along ours? Year in and year out, it always seems to be our weakest link.

Count the seconds between Brady's hike and pass, versus the seconds between Ben's. Brady throws the rock quickly. It causes defenses to be on top of the game, which opened up the longer shots. Ben holds the ball (not too long IMO) and the defenses play differently.

This means that the Oline for them and the Oline for us have completely different roles and expectations.

I personally wish BA would come up with at least two quick plays to mess with the other defenses once in a while. It's also the reason that Ben gets hit more than Marsha, and why it's easier for the zebras to throw flags on her than on Ben.

insanesteelersfan
09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Brady's Line gives him WAY more initial time back in the pocket then Ben gets. For over 5 straight years Ben gets an average of less then 1.3 seconds after the snap before he has 3 to 4 defensive Linemen or LB's on his butt...and that's WITHOUT a Blitz from the defense....1.3 seconds people. Whoever said that Ben holds on to the ball too long is as DUMB and as CLUELESS as they come. Ben DOES try to extend alot of plays, running around the pocket and what not. But that is because he HAS to because his O-Line is worthless. As where Brady on average gets over 3 1/2 to 4 full seconds in the pocket without ANY Pressure. Please, comparing the O-Lines of the Steelers and Patriots is just stupid. They have 4 to 5 OL's who are already for sure Hall of famers. As where the Steelers currently have 4 to 5 OL's who couldn't.....well...make MY Pee-Wee football team :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slapstick
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Brady's Line gives him WAY more initial time back in the pocket then Ben gets. For over 5 straight years Ben gets an average of less then 1.3 seconds after the snap before he has 3 to 4 defensive Linemen or LB's on his butt...and that's WITHOUT a Blitz from the defense....1.3 seconds people. Whoever said that Ben holds on to the ball too long is as DUMB and as CLUELESS as they come. Ben DOES try to extend alot of plays, running around the pocket and what not. But that is because he HAS to because his O-Line is worthless. As where Brady on average gets over 3 1/2 to 4 full seconds in the pocket without ANY Pressure. Please, comparing the O-Lines of the Steelers and Patriots is just stupid. They have 4 to 5 OL's who are already for sure Hall of famers. As where the Steelers currently have 4 to 5 OL's who couldn't.....well...make MY Pee-Wee football team :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holy ridiculous hyperbole, Batman!!

This post makes as much sense, as, well, my three year old son after he's been awake after bedtime!!!

Also, the thought of you possibly coaching a Pop Warner team makes me cringe...

Eich
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Count the seconds between Brady's hike and pass, versus the seconds between Ben's. Brady throws the rock quickly. It causes defenses to be on top of the game, which opened up the longer shots. Ben holds the ball (not too long IMO) and the defenses play differently. .

I have counted those seconds. Yes, Brady often gets rid of the ball quicker. But if he wants to throw deep, he just STANDS there most of the time.

Count the seconds between the hike and when Ben sees pressure vs when Brady sees pressure. It isn't close.

I personally wish BA would come up with at least two quick plays to mess with the other defenses once in a while.

He HAS! On the play that Ben nearly got his knee torn off, he got rid of the ball VERY quickly.

If how long Ben holds onto the ball is the only difference you see between our line and the Cheater's line, then you haven't watched both teams enough.

NorthCoast
09-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Let me throw out a little perspective. I have watched several national games now and in all honesty we are not the only ones with OL issues. I am starting to get the sense that modern defenses have caught up with most offenses (sans NE) in terms of getting to the QB.
Examples this season:
ATL vs PHI - ATL's OL was continually pushed into Ryan's pocket. Ryan was hit more than a half dozen times in the game and sacked something like 4 times.

IND vs CLE - Indy's OL has some decent blockers but CLE defense made them look All-Pro and hammered Collins on every other play.

STL vs NYG - I always thought the Giants had a very good line (especially run blocking) but they could do nothing against STL. STL defense dominated this game and Manning was continuously harrassed (STL lossed only because of their stupid mistakes).

So it isn't just the Steelers OL that looks like they are stuck in the mud. My guess is the shortened pre-season has a lot to do with what we are seeing on the fields.

insanesteelersfan
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Let me throw out a little perspective. I have watched several national games now and in all honesty we are not the only ones with OL issues. I am starting to get the sense that modern defenses have caught up with most offenses (sans NE) in terms of getting to the QB.
Examples this season:
ATL vs PHI - ATL's OL was continually pushed into Ryan's pocket. Ryan was hit more than a half dozen times in the game and sacked something like 4 times.

IND vs CLE - Indy's OL has some decent blockers but CLE defense made them look All-Pro and hammered Collins on every other play.

STL vs NYG - I always thought the Giants had a very good line (especially run blocking) but they could do nothing against STL. STL defense dominated this game and Manning was continuously harrassed (STL lossed only because of their stupid mistakes).

So it isn't just the Steelers OL that looks like they are stuck in the mud. My guess is the shortened pre-season has a lot to do with what we are seeing on the fields.

Tell that to Detroit's Stafford :roll:

Djfan
09-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Sorry insane. Can't imagine how I ever called myself a football fan before you showed up.

Your communication skills suck, Sir.

Of course the times are probably true. Defenses know that they need to be ready for Brady's quick strike offense, so they treat that offense differently from how they treat Ben's.

I'm done.

skyhawk
09-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Brady does just STAND there. He is very fortunate in that respect.

He also has Wes Welker and Gronkowski (slowly becoming the best receiving TE in the league). Both are very underrated.

Eich
09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Of course the times are probably true. Defenses know that they need to be ready for Brady's quick strike offense, so they treat that offense differently from how they treat Ben's.

I'm done.

I see your point and I'm sure that Brady's quick strike capability does make defenses play differently. But I feel like this is a very small part of the difference between the protection Brady gets vs what Ben gets.

Ben threw a bunch of quick passes against the Seahags and it didn't matter. Pressure was on him no matter what. Just handing the ball off to Mendy was a pressure situation for Ben.

I think if Brady could be pressured with regularity, he would be, regardless of the fear of a quick strike.

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2011, 02:56 AM
One-Step Drop?

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Sep 21, 2011

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/97/977106.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger's knee is fine. For now. But the best tandem of pass-rushers he can face outside of practice will test his mettle, and his blockers, Sunday night.

PITTSBURGH – Ben Roethlisberger was asked if he could imagine spending 17 years in the league, like his counterpart this Sunday night against the Indianapolis Colts, Kerry Collins.

“Probably not,” said Roethlisberger.

Did Roethlisberger even think he was going to play next week after taking that ugly blow to the knee from defensive end Raheem Brock last Sunday?

“No,” Roethlisberger said. He paused and then said again, “No. It was very scary. Very scary.”

Roethlisberger’s all right. He said his knee was just sore and that “it’s doing a lot better.”

But the opposing pass-rushers this Sunday night will be a lot better, too. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis have more sacks in the last three-plus years – 68 – than any tandem in the NFL not named James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley (74).

And Freeney and Mathis play particularly well at their home track. Where it’s noisy. Where the Colts are hungry for a win. In the glare of the Sunday night cameras. Against Jonathan Scott and Marcus Gilbert.

“Disrupt, speed, spin moves,” was Roethlisberger’s stream of consciousness.

“They're built for that turf, and the crowd noise. When you have to use silent counts and stuff like that, they can get off the ball. They're basically like linebackers who are big and strong. They're so fast. It's such a huge challenge for these guys this week.”

Those guys are Scott and Gilbert. It brought up the question of whether Roethlisberger is practicing his one-step pass drops.

“One-step drops?” he repeated with a chuckle. “Nah, I have faith in our tackles, and our tight ends, whoever's on them. Those ends are going to win some but we're going to win some, too. It comes down to having faith in those guys, in J Scott and in Marcus, that they’re going to get it done.”

Faith hasn’t helped Roethlisberger so far. He’s been sacked six times in two games and is lucky to still be standing after the shot from Brock.

Right tackle had been in fine hands until Willie Colon went down, but for now it's being handled by the rookie second-round pick. Gilbert spent most of his first NFL start doing a serviceable job last Sunday, even when he wasn’t being helped by tight ends. But it took only one slip on a veteran’s spin move to nearly end the franchise QB’s season.

But Gilbert doesn’t have the hardest assignment this Sunday. Mathis might be a three-time Pro Bowler with 75 career sacks, but Freeney, the pass rusher on the other side of the Indianapolis Colts’ defensive line, is a six-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro with 95 career sacks and 45 forced fumbles. He came out of Syracuse in 2002 weighing 266 and running 4.48 and he hasn’t changed much of either number in becoming a complete player.

“If you focus on just the spin move then you’ve got to worry about the bull rush,” said Scott, the Steelers’ left tackle. “If you just worry about the bull rush then you’ve got to worry about the edge pressure. If you worry about the edge pressure, you’ve got to worry about him collapsing your outside hand.

“They’re good pass-rushers. The positive thing about it is we have ends of that caliber on our team that we can practice against and get better. It eases anxiety for one or two things: getting ready for the game and just knowing what to expect.”

Roethlisberger’s anxiety is another matter.

NOTES – James Farrior, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward were given Wednesday off. DE Brett Keisel (knee) had to miss practice. Limited in practice were RB Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder) and C Maurkice Pouncey (hamstring).

http://pit.scout.com/2/1109235.html

steeler_george
09-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I have faith that our OL will improve, they can't get any worse than the first game.

Just like last year Scott actually improved as the year progressed, and I assume he will again this year. Gilbert, has the talent just need more experience. Kemo if ever healthy will be his solid self. Pouncey is still the top talent on the OL. And now that leaves us to Leg. Is it too early to replace him with a rejuevenated Foster? After all Leg has limited experience as a Guard so maybe when he gets the rythem going he will be good.

What needs to be done is get to get our 2nd TE, Johnson, more on the detail on the blocking and blitz pick up. Essex/Saunders anyone?

hawaiiansteel
09-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Steelers QB Roethlisberger finds himself in a better place

Quarterback feels comfortable in marriage, leading the Steelers

Sep 23, 2011
by Phillip B. Wilson

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1324491/37804340E.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger has had an eventful NFL career, shaking off his share of off-field troubles to go with being a two-time Super Bowl winner.

If anything is bothering him now, the Pittsburgh Steelers' eighth-year quarterback doesn't sound like it.

Asked about the health of his right knee, which sustained a hit last Sunday that took him out of the game for a spell, the guy known as "Big Ben" said on a Wednesday conference call, "I haven't had to look on eBay for a new one yet. So far, so good."

In other words, the Steelers' leader is good to go for Sunday night's visit to Indianapolis, which isn't good news for the winless Colts (0-2), who still are trying to adjust to life without star passer Peyton Manning.

Roethlisberger, 29, got married in the offseason and says he has a stronger faith. The Steeler who was once standoffish with the media seems at ease.

That's a significant lifestyle change for a man twice accused of sexual assault -- the latter charge resulted in a four-game suspension in 2010 -- as well as the carelessness of not wearing a helmet when he crashed a motorcycle in 2006.

"Being married and being in a great place in my life, it's a great thing," Roethlisberger said. "Being in touch with my faith, even more, and family and friends, I've really enjoyed this offseason and obviously getting married and I'm looking forward to things to come."

So, too, are the Steelers. While the reigning AFC champions lost to Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV last February, it was yet another feat for Roethlisberger to reach a third title game. And Pittsburgh, which rebounded from an opening 35-7 loss at Baltimore with a 24-0 home rout of Seattle, looks to be a serious contender to reach Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium.

"He's doing great," Steelers fifth-year coach Mike Tomlin said. "The thing that distinguishes Ben from any other quarterback, at least that I've been around, is his competitive spirit. We're in a competitive game, of course, at this level, but he is uniquely competitive.

"I don't think there's anyone who has ever played with him that would ever question that about his game. That's one of things that makes him so unique."

It helps to have a strong team, too. Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense gives opposing passers fits. And the Steelers have quality receivers in Mike Wallace and Hines Ward, among others.

The image of Roethlisberger limping to the locker room after taking a shot to the knee from Seattle's Raheem Brock was shown on the Lucas Oil Stadium video screens and prompted some fans to cheer.

Some would say Brock, a former Colt, was guilty of a cheap shot. But the Steelers quarterback doesn't get caught up in it. He knows about controversy. No need to stir up more.

"I've heard those comments, those people who say that," he said of Brock. "I don't know if you'll ever hear me really kind of comment on guys taking cheap shots. We finally got a flag, and that's progress."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011092 ... tter-place (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110923/SPORTS03/109230338/Steelers-QB-Roethlisberger-finds-himself-better-place)

skyhawk
09-24-2011, 03:35 AM
Ben get's killed and never complains overtly to his line while Cutler yells and bi$ches on the sideline? Seriously, it's night and day.

Unfortunately, unless Ben wins a third SB, he won't make the HOF, or be remembered by non steelers fans. In my mind, he is the greatest Steeler ever for what he has accomplished as a young player and competitor. Without him, the Steelers don't make any of their last 3 SBs.

frankthetank1
09-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Ben get's killed and never complains overtly to his line while Cutler yells and bi$ches on the sideline? Seriously, it's night and day.

Unfortunately, unless Ben wins a third SB, he won't make the HOF, or be remembered by non steelers fans. In my mind, he is the greatest Steeler ever for what he has accomplished as a young player and competitor. Without him, the Steelers don't make any of their last 3 SBs.

i think ben is pretty much a lock for the hof at this point, unless he has some bad years in the future. he has already won 2 super bowls. the comeback win against the cards was one of the best sb's in nfl history. considering qb's like ken anderson and phil simms were not quitle hof caliber but close says a lot to me. ben is a lot better than either of those qb's were.

just because he doesnt nor never got the hype and credit he is due doesnt mean he wont be in the hof in the future. his numbers are impressive and he is a winner. he also has a much better post season record and numbers than peyton manning

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-25-2011, 11:21 AM

He also has Wes Welker and Gronkowski (slowly becoming the best receiving TE in the league). Both are very underrated.

Wes Welker is underrated? He was ranked as the 50th best player in the NFL according to the assinine NFL Network list and he has never been a #1 receiver. I would put him in the overrated column, not underrated.

skyhawk
09-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Wes Welker is underrated? He was ranked as the 50th best player in the NFL according to the assinine NFL Network list and he has never been a #1 receiver. I would put him in the overrated column, not underrated.

Welker just tore it up in the stats column today and destroyed two of my fantasy teams. He had 16-217-2. You can't stop the guy.

MaxAMillion
09-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Because Kevin Colbert does not make the OL a priority. This paragraph from Steelers Lounge says it all.

The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century. Even worse, they went an entire decade (2001-2010) without drafting an offensive tackle prospect in the first two rounds, even though teams now have to draft tackles earlier than desired due to the emphasis placed on that position by seemingly every franchise but the Steelers.

Kevin Colbert does not make having a quality OL a priority which is why our OL is amongst the worst in the league. If Brady had to throw behind our garbage OL. he would be injured and lost for the year.