PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Tony Siragusa's criticism of...

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
...the lack of a pass rush the Steelers were sending after Tavaris Jackson?

and I think he said something in the 4th quarter like..."yeah there's 11 minutes left in the game and you now send a blitz"?

Yeah....very interesting. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

I guess 3-4 defense refers to the number of pass rushers you send after a QB??

Yes I know the Steelers did get 5 sacks but how many do you think we will get with this same approach when the Patriots come rollin into town?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
maybe we will have a different gameplan for the *** than we did for the seahawks?

crazy, i know.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
seeing as how Seattle didn't cross midfield until the 4th quarter I would say that strategy worked very well against the Seahawks.

we dared Tavaris Jackson to beat us with his arm, and since he is incapable of doing that why blitz and open up possible running lanes for him when you don't have to?

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
maybe we will have a different gameplan for the *** than we did for the seahawks?

crazy, i know.

Yeah...you mean the one they had last year? It'll be the same one....watch. Send 3 and 4 after the Qb, drop 7 and 8 into coverage and all Brady all the time in the world.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
so you can tell the future now huh.

great argument chief.

you or i have no idea how lebeau will choose to play/attack the *** offense. please stop acting like you do.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
seeing as how Seattle didn't cross midfield until the 4th quarter I would say that strategy worked very well against the Seahawks.

we dared Tavaris Jackson to beat us with his arm, and since he is incapable of doing that why blitz and open up possible running lanes for him when you don't have to?

Law of averages my friend. The Seahawks are a bad football team with a Canadian Football League quarterback running their offense.

How'd that same approach work last week versus a better team?

Siragusa said it several times yesterday. He noticed it. It was very noticeable. But some Steeler fans wearing their Black N' Gold Steeler shades have a hard time noticing it when it reflects a negative on LeBeau.

I'm just sayin.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 07:54 PM
so you can tell the future now huh.

great argument chief.

you or i have no idea how lebeau will choose to play/attack the *** offense. please stop acting like you do.

Well if we go by the last 6 Steelers loses we can see a pattern. I personally hope LeBeau doesnt do this. But he has changed. It is very obvious. He is dropping more into coverage more often than he is bringing a blitz. These are facts.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:00 PM
another fact is i have seen more press coverage thru 2 games this year.

have you noticed?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Siragusa said it several times yesterday. He noticed it. It was very noticeable. But some Steeler fans wearing their Black N' Gold Steeler shades have a hard time noticing it when it reflects a negative on LeBeau.

I'm just sayin.

and some steeler fans watched an NFL football team score 0 points and run 3 plays on the steeler side of the field. you anti-lebeau agenda doesn't work this week professor.

i'm just sayin.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
another fact is i have seen more press coverage thru 2 games this year.

have you noticed?

Yes I have noticed that. He's playing a little 2 deep behind it with a ton off underneath zone (LB's). But he is not coming after the QB. And this is to attack anyone it's just a fact. If you have taped these games I challenge you or anyone else to count the number of times LeBeau is bring 5 or more. It is very surprising.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
can you do better than 0 points?

do you honestly believe the steelers have the same plan for every QB?

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":fli93itg]Siragusa said it several times yesterday. He noticed it. It was very noticeable. But some Steeler fans wearing their Black N' Gold Steeler shades have a hard time noticing it when it reflects a negative on LeBeau.

I'm just sayin.

and some steeler fans watched an NFL football team score 0 points and run 3 plays on the steeler side of the field. you anti-lebeau agenda doesn't work this week professor.

i'm just sayin.[/quote:fli93itg]

I am not anti-LeBeau. I am stating facts. Same approach was used last week versus the Ravens. Different outcome.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I am not anti-LeBeau.

lol

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":kxc6x3a8]I am not anti-LeBeau.

lol[/quote:kxc6x3a8]

Come dude..I'm a life long Steeler fan. How can one not be appreciative of what LeBeau has done for the Steelers? Give me a break. I am only stating what I am seeing over the past couple of years. I am seeing a change in the way LeBeau is running this defense.

Did you not hear what Siragusa had to say about the lack of a pass rush yesterday? Others seem to be noticing this too.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
i have no interest at all in what some fat bum from baltimore says about our defensive approach.

again, can you do better than 0?

waiting....

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
i have no interest at all in what some fat bum from baltimore says about our defensive approach.

waiting....

So you dont think Siragusa, who played professional football, know's a little bit about the game of football and in particular a pass rush?

Ok.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
But some Steeler fans wearing their Black N' Gold Steeler shades have a hard time noticing it

I have no idea what you're talking about... :D

http://www.championsondisplay.com/images/Product/medium/118109.jpg

but whenever I'm wearing mine this is what I see. you should get yourself a pair, the view is pretty cool...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/3894696468_792a114753_z.jpg

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM

please stop as you look foolish.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:38 PM

please stop as you look foolish.

Dude they played probably the worst offensive team in the NFL...and the last time I checked the Steelers still have 2 defensive players of the the year on their team surrounded by some other pretty good football players. Regardless of what the scheme is that alone is going to hold it's own in a case like this.

Answer me this...how did this same approach work for the Steelers in the losses to the Patriots, Saints, and Packers last year, and the Ravens this year?

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Dee Dub,

you picked the wrong week to start this thread. last week was a good time and i'm sure there will be another game in the future when our defense doesn't play well that you will be able to re-visit this topic but not this week...not when Seattle didn't even cross the 50 yard line until the 4th quarter and scored zero points.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM
last year was last year and the rats loss is on the team as a whole.

so is it now lebeaus fault that the seahawks offensive talent is not to your standards? you are trying to make several arguments at the same time.

Shoe
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Dee Dub,

you picked the wrong week to start this thread. last week was a good time and i'm sure there will be another game in the future when our defense doesn't play well that you will be able to re-visit this topic but not this week...not when Seattle didn't even cross the 50 yard line until the 4th quarter and scored zero points.

Yes.
It seems to be hard to criticize given the crossing the 50, and the zero points thing. Should've copy/pasted your criticism into Word or Notepad, and saved it until criticism is actually warranted.

Steelhere10
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I agree DD , DL strategy is getting old real fast ... No pun intended. But so is his age lol.

SteelAbility
09-19-2011, 09:09 PM

waiting....

It's do-able.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
After further review …

September 19th, 2011
by Mark Kaboly

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Seahawks game on my DVR:

* Who would ever think that the Steelers’ defense would pitch a shutout by basically playing coverage the entire game?

But that’s what happened against the Seahawks on Sunday.

Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau felt that the only way that Tarvaris Jackson could be successful was with his legs. If he had to read coverages and make throws, he knew Jackson wouldn’t be able to beat his defense, so LeBeau sat in coverage.

And as usual, LeBeau was right.

LeBeau called 12 blitzes the entire game with nine of those coming in the second half and seven of those nine coming in the final 11 minutes of the game. Four of the Steelers’ five sacks came when a blitz was called.

LeBeau sent four or less rushers on 25 of the 37 times Jackson dropped back to pass (29 attempts, 5 sacks, 3 runs).

Blitzburgh? Not on this day.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... -review-5/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/19/after-further-review-5/)

Steel Life
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Siragusa is a cartoon & is too oblivious to notice what the Steelers were doing...which was pitching a shutout. We should worry less about the opinions of talking heads like Siragusa, Faulk & Sapp (& Eisen too while I'm thinking about it) & only worry about the results on the field.

Djfan
09-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, we should have responded to his criticisms, blitzed more, and only won 24-17.

LeBeau is an idiot!!

Slapstick
09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
DD

What would more blitzes have accomplished yesterday?

Dee Dub
09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
This is interesting. Some of you have taken my thread and come to the conclusion that I am criticizing the Steelers defense. How that is is beyond me?? Let me say it loud and clear.....

I am not criticizing what the Steelers defense did on Sunday versus the Seahawks!! They were outstanding!!

What I am saying...or pointing out...is LeBeau is changing his philosophy on defense and it is becoming a trend. Count the number of times he brought 5 or more after the QB in both of these games (Baltimore and Seattle). And then go back and see the games versus the Ravens (loss in regular season), Saints, Patriots and Packers last year. You will see that in these games LeBeau very rarely is bringing 5 or more after the QB.

This approach isnt going to be a major factor when the Steelers play a poor team like the Seahawks. They have better players on defense than the Seahawks have on offense and that alone will counter a lack of a pass rush. But when the Steelers play the better teams this approach has failed miserably. These are facts and that is all I am focusing on going.

But..I see this isnt going over well and I respect this forum. So I am going to let this die for awhile. I'll stop beating this horse.

Peace.

steelblood
09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
The pass rush was non-existent in the first quarter.

They did pressure the QB a bit in the 2nd and 3rd Q (though not enough).

4 of 5 sacks were in garbage time.

This defense has not showed the ability to pressure the QB consistently, yet.

Slapstick
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think that blitzing the QB extensively was really in the game plan for Seattle...

I think it was in the game plan for Balitwhore, but they allowed themselves to be taken out of their game plan...

Dee Dub
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't think that blitzing the QB extensively was really in the game plan for Seattle...

I think it was in the game plan for Balitwhore, but they allowed themselves to be taken out of their game plan...

Slapstick...I am not advocating the Steelers blitz on every play. What I am saying is it (blitzing), is actually becoming nearly non-existent. And as I have said several times, this team on defense is built to get after the QB. Going away from that is going away from their strength. Keeping 7 and 8 in coverage against the better teams hasn't worked....and that's no surprise since this isn't a strong coverage team.

frankthetank1
09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
the steelers couldnt of played better on defense against the worst offense in the nfl, however DD is right. if they play that game plan against the pats they will get smoked just like last season. even in the baltimore game they hardly blitzed. against a good qb you cant sit back in coverage and not put pressure on him. this secondary cant cover anyways so why give the qb more time? it doesnt make any sense.

feltdizz
09-20-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree with both sides. We need to blitz more or do something different vs the better QB's but the Seattle game isn't the game to show our blitzing skills. Same with the offense. Seattle isn't the game to go no huddle/hurry up offense.

When the Jets went zone in the playoffs the Pats weren't ready for it. Brady said they prepared for man to man all week. We won't beat Bready with the zone blitz. If we don't change things up it will be another blow out.

Regardless of what any Steeler fanb says its obvious Brady has Lebeau figured out.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I agree with both sides. We need to blitz more or do something different vs the better QB's but the Seattle game isn't the game to show our blitzing skills. Same with the offense. Seattle isn't the game to go no huddle/hurry up offense.

When the Jets went zone in the playoffs the Pats weren't ready for it. Brady said they prepared for man to man all week. We won't beat Bready with the zone blitz. If we don't change things up it will be another blow out.

Regardless of what any Steeler fanb says its obvious Brady has Lebeau figured out.

IMO, the problem is that when it has come to playing the Pats*, it doesn't require a Marcia Brady* to figure Lebeau out, a 2nd grader could do it ... 15 yard cushion, minimal pressure; meanwhile they are stringing 15 plays and 7 points on us just about every drive.

Haven't all the big games the Pats* have lost, back to the the 18-and-DOH season, been ones where Brady* has been pummelled?

I wonder if BA has a Plan A-Plan B-Plan C approach to preparing for teams, or whether it's a "Plan A No Matter What" approach. So if we go all out pressure and see they have game planned against it, then we go to plan B, and at worst it will turn into a chess match.

No, I'm not a BA fan. Like all of the other NFL teams that could have offered him a job over the past few years but didn't.

Leper Friend
09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Answer me this...how did this same approach work for the Steelers in the losses to the Patriots, Saints, and Packers last year, and the Ravens this year?
The Ravens game was a fluke but any team with the talent to spread this defense out is going to continue to give them fits. Lebeau has his scheme that dominates against certain teams but New England laid the blueprint , and Green Bay followed it.

Shutting out Seattle is not impressive to me at all. That might be the worst pro offense I've ever seen.Dominating this week shouldn't get anyone excited either. It will be impressive if they shut down Houston.

There is nothing to indicate to anyone after 2 games this year that anything has changed.A little more press coverage doesn't indicate that anhything has changed , at least yet.

The playoffs were gift wrapped to Pittsburgh last year. It would have been alot different if they had to go through New England and probably Indi or San Diego. The Jets and Ravens have average QB's who's offense runs to set up the pass.

I hope I'm way wrong but it will be the same thing this year.They need to play the right teams in order for DL's scheme to be fully effective. The only good thing about that is that not every team has the personel to spread tghem out.