PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: When will Ward get 1,000 catches ?

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Okay, so I'm bored :lol: After the first two games, Hines Ward has 9 catches. Putting him at 963....37 to get to 1,000 catches for his career. That would probably put him,,if he stayed at this current pace to get his 1,000th reception around 11th or 12th game. Of course ALOT of things can happen. Hines can miss a game or two. Or Hines can have a game or two where he averages say 7 to 8 catches, and that would make it sooner. So, I thought I would start a thread of a guessing game as to what opponent will Hines break 1000 catches :Clap

Right now he projects to do it somewhere in the KC game ( National TV game) or the Cincy game at Pittsburgh. Of course if he is close in that game against the Bengals, say 1 or 2 catches away from doing it, I wonder IF the Steelers coaches and Brass might want him to wait til the following game, also at Pittsburgh against the Browns on another National TV game on Thursday night ?....Kinda give the announcers something to talk about.

Me, my guess, I actually think Hines will break the 1,000 catch mark sooner then those games....I will guess he will get his 1,000 catch against....the Baltimore Ravens on 11/06...in front of the Home crowd. I think Hines would like nothing more then to get a TD catch for his 1,000th catch in a rematch win against Baltimore :Beer

So, what is your guess at to when, and whom Hines will get his 1,000 Catch ?

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Me personally? I hope never. No knock on Hines but at this stage he shouldnt be more than the 4th or 5th option on this team. And the day that Sanders and Brown finally get ahead of Hines on the pecking chart is the day I believe the Steeler's offense takes off.

And this comes from a Hines Ward fan. Seriously.

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Me personally? I hope never. No knock on Hines but at this stage he shouldnt be more than the 4th or 5th option on this team. And the day that Sanders and Brown finally get ahead of Hines on the pecking chart is the day I believe the Steeler's offense takes off.

Seriously sir, your response was as stupid as it gets. I mean can't you read ? I'm not interested in your opinion on where Hines should be. The fact is that Hines WILL definitely break the 1000 catch club. I just asked where and what game will he do it ???? And you saying Hines should be a 4th or 5th WR ?...based on what ? Hines has the SAME amount of catches that Santonio Holmes has, and only 12 yards LESS. So, I guess you're saying Holmes is no better then a 4th or 5th WR ?...Ridiculous! Look I Like Sanders and Brown as well. But neither have EARNED a spot over Hines Ward.

Absolutely Clueless!!!

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Seriously sir, your response was as stupid as it gets. I mean can't you read ? I'm not interested in your opinion on where Hines should be. The fact is that Hines WILL definitely break the 1000 catch club. I just asked where and what game will he do it ???? And you saying Hines should be a 4th or 5th WR ?...based on what ? Hines has the SAME amount of catches that Santonio Holmes has, and only 12 yards LESS. So, I guess you're saying Holmes is no better then a 4th or 5th WR ?...Ridiculous! Look I Like Sanders and Brown as well. But neither have EARNED a spot over Hines Ward.

Absolutely Clueless!!!

It must be a shame that every time someone disagrees with you or has a different opinion you have to resort to name calling. What is inside of you my friend isnt right.

You know you can be free from this ugliness? I pray that the Lord will come inside of you and do for you what he has done for me.

This is just football. There should be more to a person's life than being a fan of a professional football team. But when you have to attack someone as you do just over a persons differing opinion then I think that speaks volumes.

Take care. And I hope you surrender to God some day.

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":8580y011]Me personally? I hope never. No knock on Hines but at this stage he shouldnt be more than the 4th or 5th option on this team. And the day that Sanders and Brown finally get ahead of Hines on the pecking chart is the day I believe the Steeler's offense takes off.

Absolutely Clueless!!!

It must be a shame that every time someone disagrees with you or has a different opinion you have to resort to name calling. What is inside of you my friend isnt right.

You know you can be free from this ugliness? I pray that the Lord will come inside of you and do for you what he has done for me.

This is just football. There should be more to a person's life than being a fan of a professional football team. But when you have to attack someone as you do just over a persons differing opinion then I think that speaks volumes.

Take care. And I hope you surrender to God some day.[/quote:8580y011]

Dub, it's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing. I simpley asked the ? WHEN and against WHOM will Hines get his 1,000th catch against. And rather then give a simple answer to a simple question, you respond with I HOPE NEVER ? And use it as a sounding board to spout your opinion on how Hines is no better then a 4th or 5th WR ? Which BTW IS a silly statement. No Hines is not a WR who will stretch the field, or average 16 Yyds a catch. But he still is a crafty Vet WR who has great Hands. Runs the best routes of any of our WR's, and still is feared throughout the other teams defensive players for his crushing Blocks.

And that sounds like a 4th or 5th WR to you ???

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3401azch]Me personally? I hope never. No knock on Hines but at this stage he shouldnt be more than the 4th or 5th option on this team. And the day that Sanders and Brown finally get ahead of Hines on the pecking chart is the day I believe the Steeler's offense takes off.

Absolutely Clueless!!!

Take care. And I hope you surrender to God some day.

Dub, it's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing. I simpley asked the ? WHEN and against WHOM will Hines get his 1,000th catch against. And rather then give a simple answer to a simple question, you respond with I HOPE NEVER ? And use it as a sounding board to spout your opinion on how Hines is no better then a 4th or 5th WR ? Which BTW IS a silly statement. No Hines is not a WR who will stretch the field, or average 16 Yyds a catch. But he still is a crafty Vet WR who has great Hands. Runs the best routes of any of our WR's, and still is feared throughout the other teams defensive players for his crushing Blocks.

And that sounds like a 4th or 5th WR to you ???[/quote:3401azch]

Brown and Sanders are here. They have arrived. They are ready to be #2 and #3. What is stopping them from that? Hines Ward. Ward is not what he once was. Yes he can still contribute but were talking about two young receivers who could make the Steelers offense great. This isnt going to happen as long as Ward is ahead of them.

Is it wrong to project based on what little we have seen of Brown and Sanders? I dont think so. I think we all have seen enough to know they are ready. And I believe the Steelers offense will be at it's best when this happens.

You cant cover all three of Wallace, Brown and Sanders. But you can cover Ward in any package he is in.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
even knowledgable steelers fans fail to appreciate the blocking hines does to seal the edge.

trust me that neither brown or sanders is in his zipcode.

it would be comical to watch though.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
even knowledgable steelers fans fail to appreciate the blocking hines does to seal the edge.

trust me that neither brown or sanders is in his zipcode.

it would be comical to watch though.

Agreed but what they lack they make of for in what they bring that Hines doesnt.

The day that we see Wallace, Brown, and Sanders as the 3 main targets of Ben Roethlisberger is the day this offense becomes one of the best in the league.

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Dub, I find it funny how you can say Sanders and Brown, with Wallace can't be covered by a single DB, but Hines can. First off, if that is true, then why does Hines have 9 catches in 2 games where he has been thrown to only 10 times ? ( 1 Pass targeted to him that he did not catch )..as where Brown had 3 drops against Baltimore alone, and one where it went off his hands and got Intercepted ? Hines is way better at route running then either Brown or Sanders....Ah, wanna TRY to dispute that ?...I didn't think so. And since we don't have the O-Line to give Ben the time it would take for Wallace-Sanders, and Brown to operate down the field, we MUST have a FOR SURE Vet WR who knows HOW to get open on a quick out, or sideline pattern, or bubble screen. Hines can do ALL those things better then Brown can. Or then Sanders. Now, IF we actually had a O-Line that could sustain a Block for longer the 1/2 a second, then I might agree with you on Brown & Sanders over Hines in a 3 WR set with a TE and a RB. But, given how little time Ben has to set-up and throw the ball before our O-Line STIFFS get him killed, sorry but Hines IS the best option on short patterns over the middle of the field, and on WR screens.

DukieBoy
09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Okay, so I'm bored :lol: After the first two games, Hines Ward has 9 catches. Putting him at 963....37 to get to 1,000 catches for his career. That would probably put him,,if he stayed at this current pace to get his 1,000th reception around 11th or 12th game. Of course ALOT of things can happen. Hines can miss a game or two. Or Hines can have a game or two where he averages say 7 to 8 catches, and that would make it sooner. So, I thought I would start a thread of a guessing game as to what opponent will Hines break 1000 catches :Clap

Right now he projects to do it somewhere in the KC game ( National TV game) or the Cincy game at Pittsburgh. Of course if he is close in that game against the Bengals, say 1 or 2 catches away from doing it, I wonder IF the Steelers coaches and Brass might want him to wait til the following game, also at Pittsburgh against the Browns on another National TV game on Thursday night ?....Kinda give the announcers something to talk about.

Me, my guess, I actually think Hines will break the 1,000 catch mark sooner then those games....I will guess he will get his 1,000 catch against....the Baltimore Ravens on 11/06...in front of the Home crowd. I think Hines would like nothing more then to get a TD catch for his 1,000th catch in a rematch win against Baltimore :Beer

So, what is your guess at to when, and whom Hines will get his 1,000 Catch ?

Your use of that particular laughing icon is highly disturbing.

Hines should get his 1,000 later in the season (last 4 games), probably in some mop-up phase of one of the many soft games the Steelers have. Steelers won't let him not get his 1,000 this year, barring injury. Young money is kicking in the door, can't hold them back.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2011, 06:56 AM
I picked the PIT @ KC game in Lonbull's MNF Executive game, and I want those bonus points for Hines' 1000th catch (and extra if it's a TD).

flippy
09-20-2011, 07:18 AM
I went with the Balt/Pit game in week 9 for MNFE purposes.

Djfan
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I went with the Balt/Pit game in week 9 for MNFE purposes.

That would genuinely be SWEET!!!

papillon
09-20-2011, 11:03 AM
If he averages 4 catches per game he will get there either in week 11 or week 12. I don't see him averaging 4 catches per game, every game, so I'm going with the 16th week of the season (game 15) as the milestone game for Hines.

I'm with Dee Dub in that I'm not certain Hines should be getting the reps he's getting. The Steelers have WRs ready to start making an impact in the passing game. Blocking in the running game will take a hit, but the running game is becoming a dinosaur in the NFL with teams throwing the ball 40-50 times per game regularly.

The need to be a great blocker in the run game is becoming less and less of a skill necessary for WRs, IMO.

Catch 1,000 occurs on December 24th vs St. Louis at home; that would be a unique Christmas gift for Hines. :tt2

Pappy

papillon
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Absolutely Clueless!!!

Insanesteelersfan, there have been numerous occasions in which you have been asked to temper your comments when a board member disagrees with you. As a moderator I take a few things into consideration prior to issuing a final warning (and this isn't one, but it is a warning); what I see and read when I'm posting and what I hear from veteran members of the board. I will not allow veteran board members to minimize their participation due to the inability of some to engage in adult discourse about the Pittsburgh Steelers without name calling, pettiness, inability to agree to disagree, etc.

There are many Steeler forums that are an "anything goes" forum, this is not one of them. We expect that any disagreements can be debated, discussed, or talked about without it getting personal, petty and crude. Feel free to find a forum that is more suitable to your particular style or conform to the discussion practices that this forum requires and demands, either way is fine with us.

We understand that you are a passionate Steeler fan and that you do have knowledge of the game and the Steelers; those qualities are always welcome here. What is not welcomed are attacks on other members, because they disagree with you. We hope you can temper your style and stick around; if you can't, we won't hesitate to take the necessary action. The choice is yours.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
If he averages 4 catches per game he will get there either in week 11 or week 12. I don't see him averaging 4 catches per game, every game, so I'm going with the 16th week of the season (game 15) as the milestone game for Hines.

I'm with Dee Dub in that I'm not certain Hines should be getting the reps he's getting. The Steelers have WRs ready to start making an impact in the passing game. Blocking in the running game will take a hit, but the running game is becoming a dinosaur in the NFL with teams throwing the ball 40-50 times per game regularly.

The need to be a great blocker in the run game is becoming less and less of a skill necessary for WRs, IMO.

Catch 1,000 occurs on December 24th vs St. Louis at home; that would be a unique Christmas gift for Hines. :tt2

Pappy

Thanks pappy for at least GIVING a date, and a team that Hines will get his 1,000th catch. As where Dub did not. But as for Hines, and whether he should not be above Sanders or Brown, well forget the blocking aspect for a moment. Does either of those two WR's run a route, especially a short route as well as Hines ? Does either of them have the pure strength to seperate from the Line as well as Hines does ? The answer to these questions is a easy NO!! Not even close. Like I said, if we had a Patriots O-Line, I might agree with you cause then both Sanders and Brown would HAVE the time to get down field and cause havic. But as it is, all the speed in the world doesn't mean S_H_I_T! when your O-Line is giving up pressure in LESS then 1/2 second on your QB!! Why do you think Ben himself was QUOTED as to wanting more Quick pass plays called...to SAVE his Butt! And Hines is still a top-10 to 15 WR in this league when it comes to running crisp routes, and at gaining initial seperation at the Line of scrimmage due to his strength.

As our Line gets better ( Hopefully )....you will see more 4 WR sets with a RB in the backfield. That means BOTH Sanders & Brown, along with Wallace and Ward will be in the game.....so Ward isn't hindering anyones growth, or time on the field.

papillon
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Pappy

Thanks pappy for at least GIVING a date, and a team that Hines will get his 1,000th catch. As where Dub did not. But as for Hines, and whether he should not be above Sanders or Brown, well forget the blocking aspect for a moment. Does either of those two WR's run a route, especially a short route as well as Hines ? Does either of them have the pure strength to seperate from the Line as well as Hines does ? The answer to these questions is a easy NO!! Not even close. Like I said, if we had a Patriots O-Line, I might agree with you cause then both Sanders and Brown would HAVE the time to get down field and cause havic. But as it is, all the speed in the world doesn't mean S_H_I_T! when your O-Line is giving up pressure in LESS then 1/2 second on your QB!! Why do you think Ben himself was QUOTED as to wanting more Quick pass plays called...to SAVE his Butt! And Hines is still a top-10 to 15 WR in this league when it comes to running crisp routes, and at gaining initial seperation at the Line of scrimmage due to his strength.

As our Line gets better ( Hopefully )....you will see more 4 WR sets with a RB in the backfield. That means BOTH Sanders & Brown, along with Wallace and Ward will be in the game.....so Ward isn't hindering anyones growth, or time on the field.

Actually, from what I've been seeing Hines is having problems getting separation. Of his 9 catches, I believe 3 of them are the immediate hitch or screen pass whatever you want to call it. The one he had on the sideline against the Hawks was all the throw by Ben, Hines was not open (it was a great catch though). He isn't Ben's security blanket like he once was on third down. This, of course, is just my opinion from what I've seen on TV and not sitting in the stands seeing the entire play unfold.

The young guys are running pretty good routes and Ben is getting used to the depth and angles in which they run their routes. As the season wears on it is going to be difficult to keep them off the field as they develop more and more chemistry with Ben. They get open pretty easily from what I've seen, particularly in man coverage.

Reading the zone coverage is a work in progress, but they aren't completely void of the ability to read a zone defense.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
09-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Pappy

Actually, from what I've been seeing Hines is having problems getting separation. Of his 9 catches, I believe 3 of them are the immediate hitch or screen pass whatever you want to call it. The one he had on the sideline against the Hawks was all the throw by Ben, Hines was not open (it was a great catch though). He isn't Ben's security blanket like he once was on third down. This, of course, is just my opinion from what I've seen on TV and not sitting in the stands seeing the entire play unfold.

The young guys are running pretty good routes and Ben is getting used to the depth and angles in which they run their routes. As the season wears on it is going to be difficult to keep them off the field as they develop more and more chemistry with Ben. They get open pretty easily from what I've seen, particularly in man coverage.

Reading the zone coverage is a work in progress, but they aren't completely void of the ability to read a zone defense.

Pappy

Pappy, you are correct on one thing, in the Seahawks game, Ward DID catch two WR Screen plays. But that is not because he is having trouble gaining seperation. That is because our LINE can't give Ben any protection on 80 % of our passing plays. And Ward gives us our BEST chance on that screen pass cause he is better at gaining yards after the catch then anyone else we have. Both of those screens actually worked. Like I told Dub, Hines is not the WR he was say 5 years ago. But he is still a top-30 WR, and certainly is NOT a 4th or 5th WR as Dub stated. I mean that is just Nuts Pappy! I mean I think Tomlin would pull Ward if he saw he was struggling to get off the Line, or was a hinderence to our offense out there. He is not. He is one of the reasons our offense moves at all.

feltdizz
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Hines isn't the reason Ben is getting killed, Ben isn't the reason Hines had a great catch last week. Hines is Hines.. never was that fast, never had separation he just finds ways to get open.

Let's stop acting like these other WR's have shown the ability to get open in pressure situations. More times then not they haven't shown they are there yet.

I'm ready for Hines to bounce but the guy deserves to go out with 1000 receptions under his belt. It's not like he is the weak link in our offense.

flippy
09-20-2011, 12:42 PM
It's not like Hines is getting old and losing a step. He never had a step to lose to begin with.

It's not like he was blazing fast and ever got great separation. His game has always been about running good routes and finding soft spots in a zone.

We should absolutely get Sanders/Brown more involved on some quick strikes/slants. But at the same time Sanders/Brown/Wallace aren't going to block LBs or DLinemen and seal the edge on running plays.

99% of TEs are really WRs. Hines is the one WR in the game that's effectively out there playing like a TE.

Sanders and Brown should be seeing playing time over DJ and Saunders, not Ward imho.

Ghost
09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Holy @##$%...Pap is a moderator here? Who the @#$% knew? That's #$%^ing crazy. Guess I'll have to watch out when I call him a #$%$^ and sometimes a #$%%^. But mostly he's a #$%^&ing #$%!.

Learn something @#$%ing new every day. I'll be @#$%ed.

papillon
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Holy @##$%...Pap is a moderator here? Who the @#$% knew? That's #$%^ing crazy. Guess I'll have to watch out when I call him a #$%$^ and sometimes a #$%%^. But mostly he's a #$%^&ing #$%!.

Hey, hey, hey, keep it family friendly. :moon

Just like Meet the Parents, I'm watching you and you are not in the circle of Trust. :wink:

Pappy

Ghost
09-20-2011, 01:12 PM
And oh yeah...week 14 at home against the Browns during a national broadcast so all those idiots at NFL network(read: Rich Eison and Marshall Faulk) have to sing his praises.

aggiebones
09-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I too was hoping the Baltimore game was a bit later. It will be tough to get by then.

DeeDub that was a dumb answer. No need to dump on the veterans all the time. Hines can play the game for 60 minutes and understands EVERY facet of the game. Frankly, Sanders and Brown are not close to being the complete WR that Hines is. They are more athletic however and that should help Hines get open. The youth will be served, but it would indeed be foolish to forget about Hines. He is crafty and has great hands, runs great routes and blocks obviously very well. Brown and Sanders and Wallace as well have alot to learn before they are in his status. They are all fast and do catch well and hopefully they learn the ins and outs of the game better over the next couple years.
Right now, I'd be worried about Wallace, Sanders and Brown all playing the top 3 WRs with Ward on the bench. Near future, hopefully yes. But not today. And Ben likely agrees with me.

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Just like Meet the Parents, I'm watching you and you are not in the circle of Trust. :wink:

Pappy

At least he didn't call anyone Gay Focker. :wink:

flippy
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Pappy

At least he didn't call anyone Gay Focker. :wink:

Martha Focker!!!!

hawaiiansteel
09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Bires: Ward refuses to act age

Wed Sep 21, 2011
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/4a/c4a43167-550d-5fd7-8348-f3bc5823011c/4e780c534c26c.preview-300.jpg

PITTSBURGH -- Hines Ward admits that his “day is coming.” He knows that in time he will lose his starting job with the Steelers. He just hopes it doesn’t happen any time soon — as in this year.

Gone are the days when Ward runs routs as Ben Roethlisberger’s No. 1 target.

Ward may still be the self-proclaimed “leader of the wideouts” when it comes to know-how and leadership. But the main man on the receiving corps is now Mike Wallace, the third-year speedster who continues to put up remarkable numbers.

Then there are the two fleet-footed second-year pros, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Next year, one of them will surely nudge Ward closer to retirement. One of them will join Wallace in the starting lineup when the 2012 season begins. Both offer so much talent.

But for now, Ward remains a viable option. He may be 35 but he still has much to contribute. Granted, he’s not as fast as he was in his prime although he was never a burner to begin with. He may have a harder time getting open than he once did, especially against big, physical cornerbacks. No longer does the opposition’s best cover corner guard him.

But Ward will still have his moments.

So far in two games, Roethlisberger has targeted Wallace 20 times. Ward and Brown were the intended receiver 15 times each. Wallace leads the team with 16 catches. Ward is second with nine. Brown is third with six.

And none of the young wide receivers block as well as Ward. It’s not even close.

In Sunday’s 24-0 win over the Seahawks, Wallace (126), Brown (67) and Sanders (44) each had more receiving yards than Ward (33). But it was Ward who was open on a trick play in the first quarter when Sanders threw to him for 15 yards. Then in the third quarter, Ward made a nifty catch along the sideline, keeping both feet inbounds for a 15-yard gain.

“Twinkle toes,” Ward, a “Dancing with the Stars” champion, said when describing that catch.

Roethlisberger called Ward’s catch a “phenomenal play on his part.”

In 2009, Ward signed a four-year contract extension that will allow him to finish his career with the Steelers. He’s locked in through the 2013 season.

The owner of 14 different Steelers’ receiving records, Ward ranks No. 8 on the NFL’s all-time receptions list with 963. He needs just 37 more to become just the eighth receiver in league history to reach 1,000.

He’s on pace this year to catch 72.

Ward doesn’t have many more years to play. But that doesn’t mean he’s fading fast. He still can make plays.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 2e5c1.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-ward-refuses-to-act-age/article_74c71d0b-077f-52eb-9580-c20040b2e5c1.html)

fezziwig
09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
He'll get his 1000 th catch right after 999 catches.

Anyway, with all the receivers he has to compete with he , will probably get it in within the last three games of the season.

Just think how his stats would have read if we wern't a running team for most of his career. Then with Cowher bringing in Plaxico, Troy Edwards and not handing over the starting position to him early in his career like I thought he should have received.

Hines would probably be coming up on 1200 or 1300 catches by now. Not complaining, just saying how it might have been.