PDA

View Full Version : Panic in Indy: Columnist calls for Brett Favre

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
please say it ain't so...

Panic in Indy: Columnist calls for Brett Favre

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 19, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/k-collinsfumble.jpg?w=177

The Colts didn’t look that bad for much of Sunday’s loss. They ran the ball well; they stopped the run. You could argue the Colts looked like the better team against Cleveland for most of the day.

They slowed down the Browns offense, but Indy struggled on special teams as always. The biggest difference was that the Colts couldn’t convert in the red zone and Colt McCoy outplayed Kerry Collins by a lot.

Indianapolis is staring at 0-3 unless they can upset the Steelers this week. That has led to some wacky reaction in Indy.

Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, one of my favorite columnists in the country, asks the Colts to call Brett Favre to see what he’s up to. Failing that, Kravitz wants Curtis Painter to play.

Seriously, why bother? Will that lead to a playoff spot? There’s no reason to think Favre would do any better with a leaky offensive line in front of him. Painter’s total inability to move the ball when given the chance is why the Colts gave Collins $4 million in the first place.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2011/0908/20110908__122192923~p1_200.jpg

Collins played very poorly, but there’s no reason to think Painter (or Favre) would be any better. It may be hard to accept, but there is no gray-haired bullet out there that can save the Colts.

The Colts’ only chance, and it’s a longshot, is that Collins steadily improves while the team around him plays much better.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/)

JAR
09-19-2011, 07:24 PM
:lol: My sister lives in Indy, says they are the biggest bandwagon fans ever. Not a speck of blue because they aren't winning.

Well, I took advantage of their bandwagonism and grabbed cheap ticketsright by the Steelers tunnel for the game Sunday.

There are tons of cheap tickets for sale....

AzStillers1989
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
:lol: My sister lives in Indy, says they are the biggest bandwagon fans ever. Not a speck of blue because they aren't winning.

Well, I took advantage of their bandwagonism and grabbed cheap ticketsright by the Steelers tunnel for the game Sunday.

Your SIG if fvcking hilarious !! hahaha

Lonbull
09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah but can you imagine if the Colts are in a position to draft Andrew Luck next year?

I don't know what they do about the huge contract they just gave Manning, but if he can't play again (which is being rumored) then....Andrew Luck as your next guy!?!

Talk about timing.

L.B.

Pahn711
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Well then good thing for the colts they win more often than not. Or they used to :lol:

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Jeff George says he could pick up Colts offense in a matter of days

Posted by Mike Florio on September 19, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/349955-e1316480981819.jpg?w=198

At a time when at least one columnist in Indianapolis hopes the Colts will break the glass and pull the Favre lever, another former NFL quarterback apparently is politicking for a shot at helping the team.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times reports via Twitter that Jeff George said he could pick up the Colts offense “in a matter of days.”

The Colts drafted George with the No. 1 selection, 21 years ago. He’ll be 44 in December.

The team presumably isn’t interested. The only question is whether coach Jim Caldwell will decline politely, or whether he’ll make some Chilly-style crack that George should sign up for a fantasy camp.

We’re guessing that it’ll be the former.

Either way, don’t count on a team that could earn the first overall pick in the 2012 draft during a season when it has lost the services of the first overall pick in the 1998 draft to give a job to the first overall pick in the 1990 draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-of-days/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/19/jeff-george-says-he-could-pick-up-colts-offense-in-a-matter-of-days/)

Djfan
09-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I bet Gino Torretta is available. Marshall Faulk loves the guy, too!

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2011, 03:02 AM
And now they’re calling for Brett Favre in Indianapolis

By MJD
Mon Sep 19

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/59/5981585415879d33c4ecbb219810fbb2/and_now_theyre_calling_for_brett_favre_in_indianap olis.jpg

Most of the Brett Favre talk this offseason was done half-jokingly. Sure, there were desperate teams out there, and you can't rule anything out with Favre, but when his name was brought up, it was mostly done without any real expectation that anything would happen.

It still probably isn't going to, but the pleas for Favre to come back are getting a little more desperate and a little more serious. Here's Bob Kravitz of the Indy Star, making the case that the Indianapolis Colts should give Favre a call.

The next time Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay tweets about visiting Hattiesburg, Miss., here's hoping he's not joking around.

Seriously, what's there to lose at this point with the Indianapolis Colts' season swirling -- having swirled -- hopelessly down the drain with Sunday's 27-19 loss to the Cleveland Browns?

Why not try something a little crazy and see if Brett Favre is interested in dismounting his tractor and taking over the Colts offense?

What was once a Twitter joke now looks like a semi-reasonable option, at least if the Colts can figure out some way to make it work with the salary cap. Sure, it would be a Hail Mary, a desperate move in desperate times, but what do the Colts have to lose?

That's the bigger point Kravitz makes -- that the Colts don't have anything to lose. And I hate to admit it, but a call for Favre does make sense. Clearly, nothing good is happening under Kerry Collins(notes), so why not give Favre a call and take a long-shot on a miracle, as opposed to sticking with the sure thing of a lost season under Kerry Collins?

And if not Favre, why not stick Curtis Painter(notes) in the lineup? That way, at least you learn more about Painter, you get him some experience and see if he's worth hanging on to for a while. And if he continues to be as miserable as he was in the preseason, then the upside is that you're in position to draft Andrew Luck.

It's worth pointing out, too, that despite all this, it's pointless to be mad at Kerry Collins.

No, he hasn't played well, but he walked into an impossible situation, and Kerry Collins is, well, Kerry Collins. He was never going to step in and replicate Peyton Manning(notes). At best, at this point in his career, he'll manage a game for you, and if the rest of your team is good, maybe you'll win some games.

Unfortunately, the rest of the Colts team is not good. No matter what they do -- Favre, Painter, Collins -- Colts fans aren't going to have anything to be excited about until next year, when Peyton Manning is back, perhaps tutoring Andrew Luck.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-wp7424 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/And-now-they-8217-re-calling-for-Brett-Favre-in?urn=nfl-wp7424)

Eich
09-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't get the love for Favre at this point. IF all our QB's went down, I'd rather have Garrard than Favre.

Jeff George would be interesting! I always liked watching him. Even though he wasn't a great QB or teammate, it was fun watching him gunsling (on another team). And the guy is MY age. That would be cool to see a guy my age out there throwing the rock!

BradshawsHairdresser
09-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Jeff George??? Seriously???

Don't we hear something like this from Jeff George every season?

I can imagine, when he's 60 years old, some team is in a situation where they need a QB, and George is telling the media, "I could step in and play in a matter of days..."

What about Sunny Jurgenson? Or Fran Tarkenton? At least those two were winners when they were playing QB in the league...

RuthlessBurgher
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Jeff George is like Uncle Rico at this point. He thinks he can throw footballs over mountains.

proudpittsburgher
09-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Same thing . . .brother in law lives there and "bleeds" blue. Mother in law was talking to me the other day and said she called him and asked what he was doing on Sunday. "I don't know" he said. "Well, I'm suprised you aren't gonna watch the Colts game" she said. "Why would I do that??? they are gonna lose." was his response.

What a fargin joke.

I'm glad this happened to Manning for any number of reasons, but at the top of my list is my confirmation that the overwhelming majority of Colts fans are a bunch of yuppy bandwagon jumpers has been confirmed tenfold.

I went online and found prime tickets, level 5, 50 yardline, front row, for 78 bucks.

Ghost
09-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't get the love for Favre at this point. IF all our QB's went down, I'd rather have Garrard than Favre.

Jeff George would be interesting! I always liked watching him. Even though he wasn't a great QB or teammate, it was fun watching him gunsling (on another team). And the guy is MY age. That would be cool to see a guy my age out there throwing the rock!

I also wondered about Gerrard. Other than they wasted $4M on Collins and might have to stick with him for cap reasons, why not give DG a shot.

As for Favre - he's got more money than he'll ever need. The Colts are a hot mess all over the field. Why come back to not only lose a majority of games but to also get slaughtered each week? Even for that publicity hound; I can't see the Indy situation being of any interest. He's not saving them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
THIS guy can be their savior ...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1104/franchise-relocations/images/browns-ravens-vinny-testaverde.jpg

hawaiiansteel
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Collins is the focal point of Colts' struggles

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 22, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-09-21/0922CollinsInsideAP-b.jpg

For all that has been made about the Steelers' age, no one in their locker room has been in the NFL longer than Kerry Collins — the quarterback they will try to shut down Sunday night at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The former Penn State star is in his 17th season after deciding retirement can wait. The only hitch in what is probably Collins' final year in the league? He is heading toward an inglorious end, analogous though maybe not as painful to what Brett Favre experienced last season in Minnesota.

The Indianapolis Colts are 0-2 — they lost to the Browns at home last week — and their season is in danger of getting away from them. Collins has become a magnet for criticism during his short time in Indianapolis for the simple reason that he is not Peyton Manning.

"I think Kerry's a great quarterback, and he's been very effective the times we've faced him," Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said. "But really there's only one Peyton Manning, and that's the way it is."

Manning, a four-time NFL MVP, is sidelined indefinitely with a neck injury and may not play this season. The Colts, just two seasons removed from a Super Bowl appearance, coaxed Collins out of retirement in part because of his connections to two of the most important people in the organization: president Bill Polian and coach Jim Caldwell.

Polian drafted Collins fifth overall for the expansion Carolina Panthers in 1995. Caldwell coached quarterbacks at Penn State, where Collins overcame early adversity to become a consensus All-American.

Collins said he was "at peace" with retirement when the Colts contacted him. But he ended up returning to the game he had quietly left in July, signing a one-year, $4 million deal with Indianapolis.

"That feeling is never going to go away," Collins said of playing. "It's always going to be there. (Returning) just made sense in a lot of ways."

Not much has made sense to Indy fans accustomed to double-digit win seasons — and their quarterback completing more than 50.7 percent of his passes.

Collins' struggles in the first two games — he has completed 35 of 69 passes for 388 yards, two touchdowns and one interception — can be traced to him not signing until late last month.

There is also the added pressure of doing a credible Manning imitation, even though no quarterback is better at the line of scrimmage as far as making adjustments and identifying mismatches.

"They never did a lot with Peyton. It was a lot of the same routes," Steelers free safety Ryan Clark said of the complexity of the Colts' offense. "It was just Peyton was so good about which guy to throw it to. Once he got into the play, he was so smart and so accurate. I think that's what you lose more so than (Manning) actually calling plays, because the Colts have never been difficult to figure out."

It's not difficult to figure out that the Colts turning around their season hinges on a quarterback who turns 39 in December and led Penn State to its last undefeated season.

That came in 1994, when Ben Roethlisberger was 12 years old.

"I haven't lost a thing in my arm, which is something I am very appreciative of," Collins said. "I still feel I can make all the throws. Physically, I feel pretty good."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1YioyLisZ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_758092.html#ixzz1YioyLisZ)

DkBlue
09-22-2011, 08:55 PM

Same thing . . .brother in law lives there and "bleeds" blue. Mother in law was talking to me the other day and said she called him and asked what he was doing on Sunday. "I don't know" he said. "Well, I'm suprised you aren't gonna watch the Colts game" she said. "Why would I do that??? they are gonna lose." was his response.

What a fargin joke.

I'm glad this happened to Manning for any number of reasons, but at the top of my list is my confirmation that the overwhelming majority of Colts fans are a bunch of yuppy bandwagon jumpers has been confirmed tenfold.

I went online and found prime tickets, level 5, 50 yardline, front row, for 78 bucks.

If you're glad this happened to Manning you are a low life and an embarrassment as a Pittsburgh fan.

hawaiiansteel
09-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Peyton Manning to help Colts from booth

ESPN.com news services
September 24, 2011

Peyton Manning will return to the Colts in the press box Sunday when they face the visiting Pittsburgh Steelers, hoping to help them to their their first win of the season.

Manning, speaking to The Indianapolis Star, said he will sit next to quarterbacks coach Ron Turner at Lucas Oil Field and be involved in the locker-room routine before the game and at halftime.

It will serve as a welcome change for Manning, more than two weeks after neck surgery that has sidelined him for at least two months and kept him away from the Colts' first two games.

"I walked around for a while angry, in a bad mood. ... 'Woe is me,' " Manning told the newspaper Friday. "I've gotten over that. It doesn't do any good."

Manning wouldn't speculate on when and if he could return to the field after undergoing his third surgery in 19 months. The Colts have kept him on the active roster despite the latest procedure on Sept. 9.

"I do hope to get healthy, and when I'm healthy and cleared to play, I want to be out there," Manning said. "But I'm off the clock as far as that goes. I'm just trying to follow the doctors' orders and get healthy."

Manning was back at Colts practice Wednesday, the second time this week he was seen taking laps around the practice field.

"My first priority was doing what I needed to do for my long-term health," said Manning, who said he hasn't thought about the possibility of retirement. "At the same time, it should help me in the short-term.

"I have a good attitude. I hope things continue and get better."

Manning had started 227 consecutive games, including the playoffs.

"This is new to me," he said. "I try to have a good perspective, I really do."

In addition to providing input to the Colts' coaching staff Sunday, Manning has also helped them prepare for the Steelers this week, working with offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen and quarterback Kerry Collins.

"He's such a great resource," Christensen said. "Nobody knows this offense better than him. He's a genius on protections. He's a genius on game plans."

But Manning isn't warming to his temporary role.

"Eventually I'd like to get back on the sidelines just to be around," Manning said. "You really miss that.

"Trust me, I'm bleeding with everyone else. It's still 'we.' It's not 'them.' I'm right there in it with them."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70144 ... -woe-stage (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7014498/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-says-woe-stage)

proudpittsburgher
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM

What a fargin joke.

If you're glad this happened to Manning you are a low life and an embarrassment as a Pittsburgh fan.

Sorry, I should clarify. I am never happy to see anyone with a career ending injury. I was glad because the Colts finally got bit in the butt for not addressing the need for someone in case manning went down for any significant length of time.