PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone just see the Dunta Robinson hit on Maclin ?

insanesteelersfan
09-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Man, talk about a direct, no doubt about it CHEAP shot with his helmet. Robinson was fined last season for the exact same thing. He was fined 50,000 last year, reduced to 25,000 after his appeal. Now, there is NO DOUBT in my opinion that Robinson better get at least a 100,000 dollar fine for this hit tonight. Cause it was MORE Clearly obvious then ANYTHING Harrison has ever done. Lets see how Goodell handles this one.

( p.s, I thought I would finally correct my error )

drprwnap
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I saw it and it was a CHEAP shot. The guy should be fined AND suspended. No excuse for that.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
09-18-2011, 10:54 PM
I saw it. Ugly play. The guy should be suspended. Launched himself, head leading, arms never came up.

DukieBoy
09-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes, that was worthy of more than just a fine.

This game is brutal tonight.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 03:24 AM
the Dunta Robinson hit on DeSean Jackson happened last year, this one was on Jeremy Maclin...

Dunta Robinson can expect a big fine, at least

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 18, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/d-robinsonhit.jpg?w=250

When Dunta Robinson nearly beheaded DeSean Jackson last year, he was fined $25,000 by the league for a helmet-to-helmet hit. (It was originally $50,000, but reduced by the league.)

Expect Robinson to get another hefty fine after a helmet-to-helmet hit against Jeremy Maclin on Sunday night.

Maclin didn’t miss a lot of time, but that shouldn’t change the punishment. It was a textbook helmet-to-helmet head hunting hit. It wouldn’t be a shock if a suspension is at least considered because Robinson is a repeat offender.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -at-least/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/18/dunta-robinson-can-expect-a-big-fine-at-least/)

Ghost
09-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Brutal. He'll get a one game suspension and deserve it.

NorCal-Steeler
09-19-2011, 09:16 AM
was an ugly hit , i think he lowered his head and had it to side of body but the top of helmet got under the chin. Vicious hit but not sure about intentional. Really talking about inches here of a good hit like ive seen Clark do many times.

Captain Lemming
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
was an ugly hit , i think he lowered his head and had it to side of body but the top of helmet got under the chin. Vicious hit but not sure about intentional. Really talking about inches here of a good hit like ive seen Clark do many times.

To cite Clark is no defense.

A bunch of those big hits Clark had in years past are illegal today. Many were intentional, but legal at the time.

Djfan
09-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Just watched it for the first time. It seems that the hit was prepared seconds before it was delivered. At that point it was impossible to stop IMO. While I hope the situation is OK for the players, I miss the days where that was just man-type football.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I agree that this was a hit worthy of a penalty, and a fine, but this did not look like a "cheap shot". He looked like he tried to hit with his shoulder and his helmet made contact first.

To me, a cheap shot is more like the Merriweather hit from last year where he changed his direction in order to jump up and hit him H2H. This was not that same kind of deliberate hit.

Penalty - yes
Fine - yes
Suspension - no

feltdizz
09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I saw him hit Jackson... last year.

and I saw him hit Maclin last night.

aggiebones
09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow it was ugly.

And who was the lawyer that got that appeal lowered? He should have been fined again after I had to watch it yesterday.

fezziwig
09-19-2011, 01:01 PM
He was determined to lay that hit on him and he gets what he deserves with the fine.

ikestops85
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I thought the hit on Jackson last year was fine but with the rule changes this year the Maclin hit will get a fine. As far as a suspension goes I don't think he should get one but we all know the only one that matters is Goodell and who in the hell knows what goes through his mind. He might say that Robinson is not a Steeler so everything is "peachy keen".

skyhawk
09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
5 years ago this kid of hit would have been a non-issue.

This year's Dunta hit was no where near last year's brutal hit.

fezziwig
09-19-2011, 05:59 PM
What about the second hit on Bens legs. Had that been Brady they would have had Goodell fly down onto the field to give the guy a fine in person. Only after Gooodell kissed Bradys boo boo.....and butt.

Okay I may have exagerated..... he can kiss Bradys butt anytime.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Dunta Robinson fined $40K for hit

Updated: September 19, 2011
Associated Press

http://mt.nesn.com/.a/6a0115709f071f970b0154358c3889970c-600wi

NEW YORK -- The NFL has fined Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson $40,000 for his hit on Philadelphia wide receiver Jeremy Maclin that drew a 15-yard penalty in Sunday night's game.

The league did not suspend Robinson even though it has said flagrant hits like the one he put on Maclin could lead to such action. Robinson is a repeat offender, having been fined last year for a similar hit on the Eagles' DeSean Jackson that left both players with concussions.

Robinson drew a penalty for unnecessary roughness with 6:12 remaining in the third quarter after leading with his helmet and crashing into Maclin. Maclin was slow to leave the field but returned to the game.

The league said Monday that Robinson violated player safety rules.

Robinson can appeal the fine.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69919 ... emy-maclin (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6991968/nfl-fines-dunta-robinson-atlanta-falcons-40k-hit-jeremy-maclin)

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Dunta Robinson fined $40K for hit

Updated: September 19, 2011
Associated Press

http://mt.nesn.com/.a/6a0115709f071f970b0154358c3889970c-600wi

NEW YORK -- The NFL has fined Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson $40,000 for his hit on Philadelphia wide receiver Jeremy Maclin that drew a 15-yard penalty in Sunday night's game.

The league did not suspend Robinson even though it has said flagrant hits like the one he put on Maclin could lead to such action. Robinson is a repeat offender, having been fined last year for a similar hit on the Eagles' DeSean Jackson that left both players with concussions.

Robinson drew a penalty for unnecessary roughness with 6:12 remaining in the third quarter after leading with his helmet and crashing into Maclin. Maclin was slow to leave the field but returned to the game.

The league said Monday that Robinson violated player safety rules.

Robinson can appeal the fine.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69919 ... emy-maclin (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6991968/nfl-fines-dunta-robinson-atlanta-falcons-40k-hit-jeremy-maclin)

Absolute total BS!! That was deliberate intent by Robinson. No effort to lead with his shoulder, or raise his arms. His Helmet CLEARLY was aimed right under Maclin's chinstrap. Like I said yesterday, this was WAY worse then Harrison's hit. And James got 100,000 ???? I personally HOPE James goes all out on Tom Brady, and delivers a full speed Helmet hit right on Brady's face!!
Hell, I will take up a collection to pay whatever fine Goodell comes up with...even though if it were a DIRECT Helmet hit on Brady, I suspect the fine would be in the 15 to 20 MILLION DOLLAR range :wft

fezziwig
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
once brady retires bellicheat won't have the win records he gathers up with brady. if bellicheat was smart he would retire when tom does.

Djfan
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
once brady retires bellicheat won't have the win records he gathers up with brady. if bellicheat was smart he would retire when tom does.

Bank on it. Then watch them not get a sell out in that network stadium for years, unless the Steelers go there, of course!!

winwithd
09-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I thought he was trying to lead with his shoulder (I haven't seen it since last night) and the H2H was incidently. But he definitely wound up for it and went in high which made the H2H more likely to happen. He should have gone in lower, like Deebo did last year. Maclin didn't duck like the Brownie did. Maybe Robison should get fined for going in high at the level of Maclin's head, but not for leading with the helmet. I thought last year's hit on DeSean Jackson was totally clean. I was afraid though that this one would draw a suspension. Once the first one comes and the precident is set, the Steelers will get one is short order I think.

If Harrison hits Marsha at all he will get fined. And if he hurts Marsha he is likely to get suspended for the Ratbird game.

BURGH86STEEL
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I thought Robinson's intention was to hit Maclin with his shoulder. Based on the speed and trajectory of both players, their helmets just happened to collide. Moving at that speed, another option was to hit him at or below the waste. The risk with that was a serious knee injury. Last option, let him catch it and run. Seems like no win situation for defenders.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
What has happen to men in our world? Unbelievable. I'm hearing words like, brutal. cheap, ugly, etc., etc. This reminds me of the guys I am seeing standing in the Starbucks line asking for the vanilla, skim-chai, frappacheno, with soy milk and little whip cream. :D

For goodness sakes....Man up!! :lol:

I liked the hit myself. Reminds me of how the game was once played.

NorCal-Steeler
09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
the still pic shows his head going in to the side level of maclin chest, Maclins knees are bent making his head even lower. The top inch of helmet hits under the chin. Penalty yes by letter of the rule, but i dont feel in anyway it was flagrant.

DukieBoy
09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
What has happen to men in our world? Unbelievable. I'm hearing words like, brutal. cheap, ugly, etc., etc. This reminds me of the guys I am seeing standing in the Starbucks line asking for the vanilla, skim-chai, frappacheno, with soy milk and little whip cream. :D

Well, DD, I used the word "Brutal" to describe that game last night. No apologies here. That was a brutal game last night, a throwback game, neither team taking any prisoners, they put it all out on the field, and I enjoyed it immensely. Take it as you like.

fordfixer
09-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Even though I agree that it is how the game was once played, I still think there is no room for a sorry attempt at a tackle such as that in the NFL today. You should always wrap with your arms :wink:

Djfan
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Even though I agree that it is how the game was once played, I still think there is no room for a sorry attempt at a tackle such as that in the NFL today. You should always wrap with your arms :wink:

Nice!! :tt1

Discipline of Steel
09-20-2011, 12:49 AM
just the fact that this conversation exists is irritating

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
09-20-2011, 01:27 AM
To me, as mentioned in an earlier post, this hit deserved a flag and a fine but was not what I would call cheap or dirty.

Catch was made and Robinson went in to deliver a big hit in order to separate the receiver from the ball. You can see him turn to the side and attempt to deliver the hit with his shoulder, not his head.

The problem is that first contact was made by Robinson's helmet into Maclin's chin. That makes it a H2H. As JH was told during his visit to New York last season, the defender is responsible for the impact. Throw a flag, fine him (although the fine should be at least the $50K that JH was levied for his hit on Massaquoi) but do not suspend him.

phillyesq
09-20-2011, 11:23 AM

I liked his hit on Jackson last year, which I thought was a good, hard hit. I thought this was dirty and foolish, not to mention poor form. Maclin moved a bit to avoid the hit, and given a bit more time, may have missed Robinson.

I still like the idea that a receiver will get lit up if they come across the middle. But I think that leading with the helmet and making no attempt to otherwise hit or tackle the receiver is both dangerous and a poor way to tackle.

Dee Dub
09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I agree this wasnt a textbook hit/tackle. Not the way you would teach it but let me reiterate...

I have no problem with it...nor do I buy into this new NFL trying to convince me these are dirty hits.

See I come from the school that I am going to rip your face off every time I get a chance to do so. It's a statement. One that will get you thinking the next time you come across the middle. It's really the only thing a DB has anymore. They have made it to where you almost have no chance at covering a receiver.

I'm telling you guys...the league and the media is trying to change this game and they are convincing you of something you once thought was ok is now wrong. Think about it.

fezziwig
09-20-2011, 09:22 PM
When Vic got his concussion from his own player..........I'm surprised Goodell didn't fine the guy. I believe he is that money hungry.
That would be funny if the Eagles player got an envelope with a fine for knocking out his own QB.

hawaiiansteel
09-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm telling you guys...the league and the media is trying to change this game and they are convincing you of something you once thought was ok is now wrong. Think about it.

I remember when I played football in high school, all your teammates and coaches would have high-fived you for getting a good hit like that on an opposing player.

fezziwig
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
No doubt. We actually got head hunter stickers for our helmets when we put a hit on someone like that. The thing is, everyone wanted more stickers than the next guy and it got brutal out there on the field.
I remember one kid on our team ran into the goal post catching a TD and got a concussion. One of the oddest freakin things I ever seen on the field when we played.

fordfixer
09-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Dunta Robinson fined $40K for Maclin hit, Falcons coach says ‘That’s the way we teach it’

By Doug Farrar
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-wp7531 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Dunta-Robinson-fined-40k-for-Maclin-hit-Falcon?urn=nfl-wp7531)
Dunta Robinson fined $40K for Maclin hit, Falcons coach says ‘That’s the way we teach it’

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson(notes) was fined $40,000 on Monday for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Philadelphia Eagles receiver Jeremy Maclin(notes), but there are many who feel that Robinson got off a little light. As a repeat offender, Robinson is supposed to be subject to harsher penalties per the league's own edict, but that's not really what happened. In Week 6 of the 2010 season, Robinson was fined $50,000 for a huge hit on Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson(notes); it was a play in which Robinson was also concussed.

Right after the Sunday night game, Falcons head coach Mike Smith said that he felt the Robinson hit was clean, and said "that's the way we teach it." On Monday, Smith said that his opinion hadn't changed. And that concept adds a different level of complexity to the player safety argument. If Smith meant to say that the Falcons are teaching helmet-to-helmet contact, he can expect his own call from the league, but I doubt that anyone smart enough to be an NFL head coach would be dumb enough to say that he and his staff teach and endorse hits that put opponents in the line of fire.

Smith didn't represent himself in a way that would make people understand, but in a way, he does have a larger point. NFL defenders are taught to converge on receivers in zone pockets (the Falcons play a lot of zone in the 4-3 base defense) as the highest possible speed while still maintaining the control required to avoid whiffing on a tackle. Where Smith clearly erred is in appearing not to care about the helmet-to-helmet nature of the hit. And if the NFL has coaches believing and teaching that these kinds of hits are clean and legal, that's a much larger problem for the league to face.

According to the website of the NFL's own communications arm, Robinson was specifically fined for violating Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9 (a) (2) of the NFL Official Playing Rules, which states:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are…(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner.

The NFL's statement goes on to say that the $40,000 fine is the minimum that can be given to a player previously fined, and points out that Robinson was fined $25,000 for the Jackson hit. That's not the full story, though — Robinson was originally fined $50,000, and the punishment was cut in half upon appeal. So, in a sense, the NFL let Robinson off with a lighter initial fine for a repeat offense. That doesn't really line up with the "get tougher" policies of a league supposedly bent on improving player safety.

As we wrote on Monday, the Maclin and Jackson hits also reflect one unfortunate reality of NFL football — given the quickness of the game and certain schematic issues, a quarterback who leads his receiver into a zone pocket with defenders converging on him at full speed is essentially betting on physics and hoping against hope that the guy closing in on his receiver in the way he has been taught will be able to pull up in time.

It's not really a safe bet, no matter how many rules the NFL puts in place.

Robinson can take another appeal to NFL appeals officers Art Shell and Ted Cottrell. If the NFL wants to save face and try to reconcile its policies on player safety and what it enforced to facilitate a revolution in thought, there's a high likelihood that Robinson will be paying the full amount of the fine this time.

What the NFL can't yet do is to change the game in a way that doesn't make what Mike Smith said correct. And until that happens, the divide between perception and reality will continue to exist.

Discipline of Steel
09-21-2011, 07:05 AM
According to the website of the NFL's own communications arm, Robinson was specifically fined for violating Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9 (a) (2) of the NFL Official Playing Rules, which states:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are…(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner.

Sounds like the rules were written by a lawyer who never played the game.