PDA

View Full Version : Who Impressed ?

fezziwig
09-18-2011, 10:38 PM
As always Ike showed why he got the new contract.
Troy should have had a pick six and he seems to be getting into form.
Despite the Seahawks not being good, it's still tough to shut out a team.
Harrison seemed to have more presence.
Kiesel did well.
I'm starting to notice McCleddon and he seems to find the quarterback each game.
Mendy did well and gave that offense the nucleus it needed.
Wallace to me has some good hands and manages to get open.
Was it Brown or Saunders doing well on the returns.

If our offensive line could just be average, there would be no stopping us.

NottinghamForest_UK
09-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Ike Taylor is on fire! Impressive!

Good to see Redman getting more of the ball too!

papillon
09-19-2011, 06:32 AM
I missed the game...

Did Farrior see reduced reps again?
Did the Steelers run any no huddle?
Did the Steelers have consistent pressure on the quarterback? (I know there were 5 sacks)
When did Ben (and other starters) exit the game? If at all.
Who started in the secondary?

Pappy

Shawn
09-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Wallace is now the complete package. DBs playing 6-7 yards off of him, opening up the shorter stuff. He is showing he is dangerous everywhere on the field, in every situation. If Wallace stays healthy, he is going to be very special...like top 3 WR in the game special.

flippy
09-19-2011, 07:58 AM
I missed the game...

Did the Steelers have consistent pressure on the quarterback? (I know there were 5 sacks)

Pappy

There was a lot of Foote again.

They ran some no huddle on the scoring drive that ended in the Wallace TD. Looked like the first time in the game we were really getting in a rhythm and pressing the tempo of the game. I'd like to see us use this more often.

No pressure whatsoever until the 4th quarter when the game was over. We were rushing 3-4 guys and couldn't do anything against a very young and inexperienced line. On the flip side, we couldn't block when Seattle was rushing 3. I'm hoping the OLine issue are more communication and mental errors at this point. The D side of the ball is what scares me more about this team.

Ben played the whole game except when he got hit in the knee and came out for 2 plays.

Gay and Ike were the starting DBs.

Steelers>NFL
09-19-2011, 08:04 AM
I missed the game...

Pappy

They ran some no huddle on the scoring drive that ended in the Wallace TD. Looked like the first time in the game we were really getting in a rhythm and pressing the tempo of the game. I'd like to see us use this more often.

No pressure whatsoever until the 4th quarter when the game was over. We were rushing 3-4 guys and couldn't do anything against a very young and inexperienced line. On the flip side, we couldn't block when Seattle was rushing 3. I'm hoping the OLine issue are more communication and mental errors at this point. The D side of the ball is what scares me more about this team.

Ben played the whole game except when he got hit in the knee and came out for 2 plays.

The Steelers no-huddle is slowwwww. Get to the line, get set and hike the ball. Why waste time??? Pisses me off when the clock rolls down to 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. Defense know when the ball will be snapped EVERY single time. Becuase The Steelers do not snap the ball before anything less than 5 seconds. Mix it up already...
GEEZ...

flippy
09-19-2011, 08:13 AM
I missed the game...

Pappy

The Steelers no-huddle is slowwwww. Get to the line, get set and hike the ball. Why waste time??? Pisses me off when the clock rolls down to 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. Defense know when the ball will be snapped EVERY single time. Becuase The Steelers do not snap the ball before anything less than 5 seconds. Mix it up already...
GEEZ...

We're saving that for the playoffs. Along with our blitz.

ramblinjim
09-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I've noticed the "not snapping the ball till the clock hits 2" also. I agree that TOP is a factor in winning and losing games but typically the dominant team is the one that has the better TOP. Not always of course.

I'm not the only person on this board that wants our D to just destroy people and leave them never wanting to play Pittsburgh again, ever. But we did shut these guys out, we did have five sacks. Seattle may be in for a rough season but they are still an NFL team.

I'll take that as a nice little stepping stone from last week.

steelblood
09-19-2011, 09:11 AM
1. Mike Wallace. His catch of the deep ball was the most spectacular play of the game. The rest of his day was pretty good too. I will say the corner who played against him was absolutely terrible.

2. Antonio Brown. He had a great punt return on which he showed patience, vision, burst, and shiftiness. He also had some very nice catches. He needs to play more.

3. Ike Taylor. Like many have said, he had tight coverage all afternoon.

4. Skip McClendon. He only saw a few snaps in garbage time (that I noticed). But, he is a good pass rusher and he needs to see the field more. McClendon has a combination of size, quickness, and flexibility that few of our linemen possess. Aaron Smith needs to come out in the nickel. He is too stiff and old to apply much pressure. The only time I saw him penetrate was when the Seahawks forgot to block him.

5. Casey Hampton. I really thought he played well last week as well (too bad no one around him did as well). He continues to anchor well and disrupt the ground game. He will be difficult to replace.

6. Larry Foote. He saw quite a few snaps. He tackled well and showed fanastic anticipation.

7. Isaac Redman. There wasn't much room to run. But, he continues to impress me. The first man never gets him. He is very slippery. If he had an elite burst, he'd have unlimited potential. He also showed nice hands in snatching a poorly thrown ball. He can also be effective in blitz pickup.

8. Ramon Foster. This guy never gets any love. I saw him get blown up a few times. But, his pass blocking was decent and he had a created a few great holes. All in all, it was about as good (if not better) than Kemo.

9. Heath Miller. Excellent work in the trenches.

10. Keenan Lewis. Okay. Maybe this is a stretch. But, I thought he had nice coverage in the nickel and dime packages. Along with Ike he gives us another physical corner who can run.

11. Most of the rest of the D. Virtually everyone who played did well. Willie Gay included. Shutouts aren't easy. The Seahawks were absolutely awful. But, the Steelers were also very good.

flippy
09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Re: Ramon Foster, he played better than I remember him playing in the past. I noticed a couple of nice blocks throughout the day in the running game.

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Ike Taylor Impressed ?.....LOL! :lol:....against who ? The SeaHawks already were considered one of the WORST WR cores in the league. And the ONE single good WR they do have didn't play. Ike Impressed...people PLEASE!...I COULD have easily blanketed the WR's Seattle had going yesterday!!

grotonsteel
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Wallace is now the complete package. DBs playing 6-7 yards off of him, opening up the shorter stuff. He is showing he is dangerous everywhere on the field, in every situation. If Wallace stays healthy, he is going to be very special...like top 3 WR in the game special.

+1

flippy
09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I COULD have easily blanketed the WR's Seattle had going yesterday!!

That's a given.

We know you're faster than Mike Wallace, more powerful than Casey Hampton, more intimidating than James Harrison, quicker and more athletic than Troy, have better hands than Heath, run better routes than Hines, block better than Pouncey, hit the hole faster than Mendy, etc. etc. etc.

The only thing we question is do you have Ben's arm? You could probably make better decisions than Ben and all, but do you have his cannon of a right arm?

insanesteelersfan
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM

That's a given.

We know you're faster than Mike Wallace, more powerful than Casey Hampton, more intimidating than James Harrison, quicker and more athletic than Troy, have better hands than Heath, run better routes than Hines, block better than Pouncey, hit the hole faster than Mendy, etc. etc. etc.

The only thing we question is do you have Ben's arm? You could probably make better decisions than Ben and all, but do you have his cannon of a right arm?

Damn straight B!tch!! :lol: BTW Flippy, you forgot to say that I am BETTER looking then Brad Pitt :Clap

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Marcus Gilbert is the best pass blocking tackle the Steelers have. He did a very nice job yesterday. I think he has the potential to be a plus O-lineman. And I agree, Ramon Foster did a pretty good job yesterday replacing Kemo.

Dee Dub
09-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Nice to see you finally getting this Shawn. :wink: Sorry you missed his break out season last year. :lol:

fezziwig
09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Nice to see Dermonti Dawson at the game and the props that Siragusa gave to him. I also liked the comment about the Ravens and their chop blocks. Legal or not he said for them to man up.

NWNewell
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I missed the game...

Pappy

GEEZ...

The milking the clock when you are a head. When there is a 5 second window (or even 2 second) for the ball to be snapped, the D-line is still not timing it perfectly. One position can easily eat up an extra minute or so of game clock just by letting the play clock run down on each play.

They were not in no-huddle for speed.

flippy
09-19-2011, 01:32 PM

That's a given.

Damn straight B!tch!! :lol: BTW Flippy, you forgot to say that I am BETTER looking then Brad Pitt :Clap

That one was a given too ;)

NWNewell
09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Ike Taylor Impressed ?.....LOL! :lol:....against who ? The SeaHawks already were considered one of the WORST WR cores in the league. And the ONE single good WR they do have didn't play. Ike Impressed...people PLEASE!...I COULD have easily blanketed the WR's Seattle had going yesterday!!

Ike played every snap and covered Mike Williams one-on-one nearly all day, and same with Lee Evens last week. Neither are "elite" receivers, but neither are slouches either. Ike gave up exactly 1 reception for 9 yards over the past two games.

A solid performance from Ike over the first two games. Give the man some credit.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Wallace is Digest Player of Week

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1324491/37804334E.jpg

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace makes a finger-tip catch in front of Seahawks safety Earl Thomas during the third quarter Sunday September 18, 2011 at Heinz Field. (Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review)

It was the fifth straight regular season game in which Mike Wallace had over 100 yards receiving, and this was no blowout loss where a team’s passing statistics get padded at the end. Wallace caught eight passes for 126 yards, plus the 2-yard touchdown that accounted for the final points in the Steelers’ 24-0 victory over the Seahawks at Heinz Field. It was Wallace’s ninth career 100-yard receiving game.

Mike Wallace is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

Also considered were: Ben Roethlisberger, who completed 22-of-30 for 298 yards, with one touchdown and no interceptions for a passer rating of 115.7; Isaac Redman, who rushed for 49 yards on 10 carries and scored the team’s second touchdown on a 20-yard run; Antonio Brown, who caught four passes for 67 yards and added a 41-yard punt return; Marcus Gilbertand Ramon Foster, who filled in on the offensive line for the injured Willie Colon and Chris Kemoeatu, respectively; James Harrison, who had four tackles, including two for loss, plus a sack; William Gay, who had three tackles and broke up two third-down passes; and Ike Taylor, who now has allowed only one reception all season.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 97a089fa9a (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Wallace-is-Digest-Player-of-Week/b182deb1-558e-43bb-b393-7397a089fa9a)

Jigawatts
09-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Ben - Strong performance from one of the toughest (or dumbest :lol: ) guys to ever play
the game. I'm not sure how that guy can take hit after hit and get up to play at the level
he does. :Clap

DukieBoy
09-19-2011, 05:59 PM

That's a given.

They make medications for this.

fezziwig
09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
To me Wallace had a good game too or I'm just so impressed with his catches or both. Was it me or were the corners keeping off Wallace a tad bit ? He is gaining the respect and or fear from the defenses.
Wait until Wallace starts having lights out games.

hawaiiansteel
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

Grading the Starters

– Mark Kaboly
9/19/09

Ben Roethlisberger – B (Accuracy needs to be better)
Rashard Mendenhall – B (Ran hard)
David Johnson – C- (Tough day blocking)
Mike Wallace – A (No more one-trick pony)
Hines Ward – B (Better blocker than receiver now)
Heath Miller – A (Best blocking TE in the NFL)
Ramon Foster – B+ (Doesn’t make mental mistakes)
Jonathan Scott – C (Knee still bothering him)
Doug Legursky – C (Got pushed around couple times)
Maurkice Pouncey – B (Rebounded nicely)
Marcus Gilbert – B (Really beaten only once)

Casey Hampton – B (Still hard to move)
Brett Keisel – B (Nice rebound game, too)
Aaron Smith – B (Showed more power)
LaMarr Woodley – B (Seeing more double teams)
James Farrior – B (Didn’t come off the field much)
Lawrence Timmons – B (Wasn’t out of position much)
James Harrison – C+ (Something is still missing)
Ike Taylor – A (QBs don’t even look his way)
William Gay – B (Was an upgrade over McFadden)
Troy Polamalu – A (Was everywhere)
Ryan Clark – B (Was a sure tackler again)

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... -review-5/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/09/19/after-further-review-5/)